Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

every other SSO figured out that you can’t use them but Microsoft just broke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bulgakov posted:

poking through the options Im reminded about wondering if I've EVER had a website ask my browser for midi access

I have but only in the past week. which is cool because my synth can be sent patch changes via midi so you can edit the synth patch settings from the browser :o

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Perplx posted:

ads will be moved to from doubleclick.net to ads.site.com

This is already happening.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

because whomever controls the rendering engine controls what the browser is capable of doing

it isn't a coincidence that Mobile Safari is a piece of poo poo but has support for top-of-the-line high performance privacy-preserving ad blocking -- Apple doesn't want you making web sites, they want you making proprietary apps

pretty sure the only people besides shaggar who have strong opinions about mobile safari are web devs angry that they have to support a second browser, so this is a weird point to make in the context of revolutionary firefox praxis

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pseudorandom name posted:

the only web site I've ever interacted with that requires third-party cookies is login.live.com

playstation notwork also requires 3rd party cookies

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
no end-user will even notice their search changed from google to bing. the search result quality is equivalent.

this is not like, good sporting behavior, but it doesn't harm end users. only google is hurt by microsoft playing a little dirty

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they might notice when their search results turn to poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no end-user will even notice their search changed from google to bing. the search result quality is equivalent.

this is not like, good sporting behavior, but it doesn't harm end users. only google is hurt by microsoft playing a little dirty

bing's sponsored results are like 100% malware and phishing sites for anything even remotely computer related

the "type thing into browser bar and click first result" crowd are basically going to get hosed

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

bing's sponsored results are like 100% malware and phishing sites for anything even remotely computer related

the "type thing into browser bar and click first result" crowd are basically going to get hosed

yeah but google is malware so it's column a column b there

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, Bing Maps are some real garbage.

But didn't realize saying software shouldn't hijack your browser was controversial.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

if you use bing to search for "active directory remote server administration tools" the first few sponsored hits are dodgy sites trying to get you to download their poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
iirc it's the same for common utilities and anything related to microsoft or tier one OEM support, like the first result is a big 1800 number that connects you directly to those scam call centres that prey on olds

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
there has been quite a few times that bing can't figure out what I am searching for and google always does without making me download malware in the process

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bing.com: what you need, when you need it

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Perplx posted:

why would you install the beta when the final version came out last week?

maybe i got owned by googling for it instead of binging

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The_Franz posted:

ahh yes, the good old days of pop-ups, pop-unders and drive-by malware browser enhancement installers

in hindsight less intrusive than websites featuring all the modern treats like auto playing videos and asking for web notifications and boxes asking for you to signup for a newsletter after scrolling down a page and etc and etc and the general enormous mess that's web now

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Last Chance posted:

they might notice when their search results turn to poo poo

they haven't noticed so far

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

bing.com: what you need, when you need it

sounds familiar :thunk:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Seen this in the news a few times: Microsoft’s large TV thing canned because they’re terrible programmers.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-isnt-sure-if-itll-ever-ship-surface-hub-2x

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Is Windows Core OS for Hub dead?

e: lmao. forgot about this

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-neo

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 3, 2020

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

this inversion of betteridge's law makes me angry

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

"holiday 2020"

lol ok

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

quote:

Windows Core OS for Hub
straight from wheany’s ms name gen

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

jesus WEP posted:

straight from wheany’s ms name gen

complete with circus music and clowns too

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Microsoft has finally addressed the whereabouts of it's mythical Surface Hub 2X device, which was announced in 2018 as coming in 2020 with a new OS that enabled unique features such as tiling, dynamic rotation, and more. In a webinar aimed at customers and resellers, Microsoft says that focus has shifted over to delivering the 85-inch Surface Hub 2S, and that it doesn't anticipate releasing a Surface Hub 2X this year.

Initially, Microsoft was planning to ship the Surface Hub 2X with a new OS called Windows Core, a modular platform that both HoloLens 2 and Surface Neo are based upon.

these two paragraphs are completely unintelligible

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

these two paragraphs are completely unintelligible

oh good it’s not just me. thought i was having a stroke

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

out of all of that the only product that actually exists is hololense 2

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

out of all of that the only product that actually exists is hololense 2

it exists? huh, you learn new things each day

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it does and you can buy it for only $3500 ameros or one of a few enterprise subscriptions

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

this has the same energy as that ~24 inch windows 8 all-in-one pc/slate that you could carry from room to room

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wow, it's great that it comes with a built in bedpan

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I just imagine this thing awkwardly rolling backwards a little all the time while people are pawing at it

anyway why would anyone use this instead of regular rear end mounted wall monitors + pc + wireless keyboard/mice that can be passed to whoever the gently caress needs to touch the computer during the meeting

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Windows 10.11 for Pissgroups

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWVwhC_8aLY

absolutely dystopian

i'm shocked i didn't know this existed

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

how is it possible that the best use case they could demonstrate for "you can unplug it and roll it around" was "you can put it next to your other large computer that's already there"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
msft bet so huge on touchscreen being the next big thing in the enterprise lmao

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWVwhC_8aLY

absolutely dystopian

i'm shocked i didn't know this existed

i'm the crescendo right before they pull the plug and reveal that it's... battery powered

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mon deu

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
wait they make battery powered computers now :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

teams has been completely offline for a number of hours now because MS forgot to renew some backend cert that handles part of auth