Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

CyberPingu posted:

That's fine then. Definitely a case of gently caress you got mine but I can see why people would be pissed about the online changes.

I will fully admit that this is basically my stance. "gently caress you, I got what I wanted out of this." I admit and understand that this has gone poorly, but I really don't care because I'm enjoying it for the reasons I purchased it.

Mostly. I still want my Custom Campaign access back, but someone did say they were working on it, so for now I am content to wait and see what happens. Stability issues will be resolved with time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

CyberPingu posted:

Since I don't care about online and I never played the OG wc3. Is the campaign at least working? Or is Reddit just overreacting

The campaign functions mostly as it was in classic. The recurring issue is having to restart the game each time you get that immediate defeat screen which means just you need to restart after just about every campaign level but that's really it. There's the occasional cutscene jank from half-implemented Reforged bis, two of the three new maps are markedly worse than the originals in detail and features, and some of the new stuff is shoddily implemented (those new Elf Kings or whatever), but it's all otherwise fine.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Someone from Lemonsky has made a burner account on Reddit. It seems like they were only outsourced to do the models, art, UI, and animations. Does that mean everything else (or lack thereof) is on Blizzard's head?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Horizon Burning posted:

Someone from Lemonsky has made a burner account on Reddit. It seems like they were only outsourced to do the models, art, UI, and animations. Does that mean everything else (or lack thereof) is on Blizzard's head?

It also means the lack of a cohesive vision and style for the models and animations falls on Blizzard as well for not properly giving direction and feedback on what Lemonsky was delivering.

Like Lord of the Clans artwork from that Russian studio with Blackwing or whatver smoking a hooka.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
A burner to proudly proclaim they only hosed up a few parts of the game - the rest of the fuckups were someone else!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sticko posted:

A burner to proudly proclaim they only hosed up a few parts of the game - the rest of the fuckups were someone else!

All of it is Blizzard's fault

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Gildiss posted:

It also means the lack of a cohesive vision and style for the models and animations falls on Blizzard as well for not properly giving direction and feedback on what Lemonsky was delivering.

Like Lord of the Clans artwork from that Russian studio with Blackwing or whatver smoking a hooka.

That was that adventure game right?

It was Deathwing that was blazing up iirc.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 2, 2020

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
I'm glad I got a working Warcraft 3 1.31 from that one website that provides it for bot hosting purposes. So I have a backup of the true widescreen warcraft 3 I can play offline with no drama.

What a trainwreck of a launch, though. This disaster marks the final end of trusting Blizzard enough to preorder, for anyone who still did. I was a huge fan of their games for years, but the company is definitively going down the shitter now. It's a lot easier to boycott over Blitzchung when all their new content sucks anyways.

e: Insane they released the game in this state. They keep repeating the same mistakes. At least SC2 had a functioning ladder on 2010 release. I knew they needed more time & was grateful for a delay but, wtf, why release now? Just wait another 10 weeks and make the humiliation less severe.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 2, 2020

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
They've added a skeleton to the final ROC undead campaign mission with the name 'Jay Gibone.' I can't figure out who that is based on or supposed to be with a quick Googling. :psyduck:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Man, has Blizzard had any good news since the whole Diablo Immortal shitshow back in 2018?

The current WoW expac has ended with a wet fart, there was that entire Blitzchung fiasco, and now this.

I think the only thing that's gone their way has been WoW Classic.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Man, has Blizzard had any good news since the whole Diablo Immortal shitshow back in 2018?

The current WoW expac has ended with a wet fart, there was that entire Blitzchung fiasco, and now this.

I think the only thing that's gone their way has been WoW Classic.

Wouldn't really say that's even gone their way tbh.

But even then, WoW Classic was a Trojan to get WoW subs back up anyway.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
I don't understand why so many of the camera angles were changed in the cutscenes. Compare the ending of original RoC Undead final mission to the way Reforged does it. The originals at least tried for some sense of cinematography (Archimonde is positioned higher, looking down on Arthas, Tichondrius and Kel) with multiple angles depending on who is talking and such whereas Reforged has them all... shot from above from one angle.

I don't get it. Why change it at all?

However, credit, where credit is due - having Archimonde and Tichondrius teleport out instead of awkwardly running out of frame is good.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 2, 2020

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Like, now I just want to play the maps with the original cutscenes. Not these half-assed new versions.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lmao at the best way of playing WC3 being piracy

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
The thing about everyone bouncing off it and refunding it is that there's no clear picture of what's different.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

That was that adventure game right?

It was Deathwing that was blazing up iirc.

I'm mildly disappointed we never got to see Deathwing smoking a hookah in WoW

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I very disappointed that we barely saw Deathwing in WoW

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CyberPingu posted:

I very disappointed that we barely saw Deathwing in WoW

He spent weeks flying all over the drat place getting in everyone's poo poo.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

stev posted:

He spent weeks flying all over the drat place getting in everyone's poo poo.

And then disappeared for like a year or so.

I dunno, I felt like in Wrath the LK was involved a lot more during levelling, dungeons and some raids, or at least more than DW was.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CyberPingu posted:

And then disappeared for like a year or so.

I dunno, I felt like in Wrath the LK was involved a lot more during levelling, dungeons and some raids, or at least more than DW was.
Pretty sure that was deliberate.

It was hard to come up with plausible reasons why Arthas didn't just kill the player character and that would have gone even more for Deathwing.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

No one in #lljk is sad. Also, Enfos and Gem TD are cool custom games.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

tithin posted:

Something no one's picked up on before now: They disabled shadows in Vanilla WC3 - it's now a "reforged" mode only option

That's a new low.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

i think that's a UI fuckup, i have shadows in my classic mode. example

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
So, at the moment blizzard is giving automatic refunds if someone is regretting their choice.

I ended up refunding after playing like 20 missions since I keep getting CTDs. It gets really old playing the same part again after losing like 10 minutes of progress.

DeadlyHalibut fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 2, 2020

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
lmao the fire that supposed to make up Mannoroth's hair doesn't show up properly in his 3D portrait.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3uYm8RUuCc

More, and better, content is being created to trash reforged than was actually put into the creation of the game. Bravo

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I knew something was wrong with the remake when I saw the early screenshots, the art style was wrong. It was clear from the beginning they just didn't understand what they were doing, or what made WC3 such a well made game. I still wanted it to be good though, and held out hope that the remake might be worth it just for the updated technical aspects and a community revival if nothing else. Good thing I didn't pre-order.

I got nostalgic and loaded up the original WC3 world editor for the first time since... probably 2004? It's fantastic. You load directly into a blank map with a terrain palette open, and you can start laying out terrain tiles and doodads like its MS paint. There's some obvious issues that could be improved, and I'm sure veteran map makers have a ton of things they'd like fixed, features added, or adjustments to make the workflow better. Despite that, it's both incredibly accessible and powerful, you can immediately see why this game spawned entire game genres. It's a tragedy Blizzard alienated people with the EULA controversy. Some people say the original's graphics suck, but as I look at it today I'm extremely impressed with how much the devs back then did with so little. I absolutely love the tile sets.

This game was fantastic, it deserves to be preserved and it deserves to have a genuine remaster made with talent, love, and care. Instead they loving killed it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Whenever I had to make a poster or presentation for high school I’d make a WC3 map instead and show it on a projector. I had a little footman running around a human village explaining the different parts of the cell :shobon:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Got my immediate, automatic, no-questions-asked refund, so that's nice.

Now to go find an alternate copy of the original game.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Gildiss posted:

One of the posts that was amusing was that the direction Blizzard gave for the art resources is that the models should look good "if placed on a pedestal" or "would look good in a portfolio".

I'm sorry, but unless you're playing certain custom games, you're very rarely if ever looking at unit models head on. The models needed to look good from top down, and it appears that Blizzard didn't give that guidance, completely forgetting lessons learned 18 years ago.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Willias posted:

One of the posts that was amusing was that the direction Blizzard gave for the art resources is that the models should look good "if placed on a pedestal" or "would look good in a portfolio".

I'm sorry, but unless you're playing certain custom games, you're very rarely if ever looking at unit models head on. The models needed to look good from top down, and it appears that Blizzard didn't give that guidance, completely forgetting lessons learned 18 years ago.

Who cares what the game looks like when you're actually trying to play it! We need those hot cutscene shots for investors and to look all sexy as banners and screenshots when we're out demoing!

Submitted my refund.The two guys that were going to pick this up and play with me decided it wasn't worth ruining a nostalgic memory with this half baked abortion of a rerelease.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

George H.W. oval office posted:

More, and better, content is being created to trash reforged than was actually put into the creation of the game. Bravo

That uther is a p apparent brevik standin is really something

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The worst part of the remaster is blizzard directly hosting and uploading custom games.

Run kitty run without Lincoln park sped up to chipmunk speeds just isnt run kitty run at all.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

George H.W. oval office posted:

yong yea movin to la to make it big as a voice actor :)

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Looking at side by side comparisons, Reforged is not even overwhelmingly better looking, esp. with the reduced contrast. The game is cartoon-y and it worked fine for what it was. Reforged really reminds me of some UHD graphics mods for old games that drastically increase texture resolution but look out of place in the overall context of the old game.

What I can't figure out is why they didn't remaster Diablo II. Like Starcraft, you've got low resolution bitmapped graphics that look dreadful on modern screens. Maybe even zoom the camera out and expand the playing field. Or hell, make Warcraft 1 and/or Warcraft 2 accessible in some way.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Escape Goat posted:

Looking at side by side comparisons, Reforged is not even overwhelmingly better looking, esp. with the reduced contrast. The game is cartoon-y and it worked fine for what it was. Reforged really reminds me of some UHD graphics mods for old games that drastically increase texture resolution but look out of place in the overall context of the old game.

What I can't figure out is why they didn't remaster Diablo II. Like Starcraft, you've got low resolution bitmapped graphics that look dreadful on modern screens. Maybe even zoom the camera out and expand the playing field. Or hell, make Warcraft 1 and/or Warcraft 2 accessible in some way.

looks like a 4k titty mod in morrowind

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Escape Goat posted:

What I can't figure out is why they didn't remaster Diablo II.

YOU BITE YOUR loving TONGUE, YOU gently caress, I'M STILL PLAYING IT. t:mad:t

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Escape Goat posted:

The official story is that all the files were "fatally corrupted", including the source code and all the art assets. The backups as well. Personally, I like to think that some brave soul destroyed the files to protect us from another Reforged situation

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Escape Goat posted:

What they should've done is just make it look like WoW, like literally everyone expected them to. There's a reason people say the art team carrying the game now - the art direction is still really good. They honestly could've just taken models for reforged characters directly out of WoW and it would've looked better.

For example, compare Thall's reforged model to his WoW model. Not so much talking about graphical fidelity as I am about artstyle here. I don't particularly like Thrall's BFA model and I still think it has way more character.

In the end the game is just incredibly ugly, which means it failed step 1 of being a remaster even before all of the bugs and cut content.

Edit: Remake, remaster, whatever. It has the same content so I'm calling it a "remaster" even if it's actually a "remake".

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Zinkraptor posted:

Edit: Remake, remaster, whatever. It has the same content so I'm calling it a "remaster" even if it's actually a "remake".

More like a texture pack mod which breaks the client.