Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MarcusSA posted:

What kinda owl is it?

Also do you have a source for that? I wanna watch the game but not enough to go out of my way to do so.

https://www.fastcompany.com/9045880...utm_content=rss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I have gotten several emails from Roku, being salty about Fox.

Roku posted:

The game will stream free on the NFL app on Roku unless FOX blocks your ability to stream it.

We don’t like FOX’s tactics and wish they had agreed to extend. But our agreement expires today. We are both disappointed and sad to see the FOX channels come down and will try to restore them.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

angryrobots posted:

I have gotten several emails from Roku, being salty about Fox.

I detest when providers do this. I remember Dish buying ads running this game, and I wasn’t even a Dish subscriber

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was watching ESPN or something similar not long ago, and on the bottom line they brought up about an ongoing dispute and then suddenly the line went blank, it’s almost as if someone was monitoring the feed and decided to cover it up...

These disputes always suck and it’s always the consumer that gets the short end.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think I’m confused. Why would they remove the app since it is just a portal to the fox content?

Wouldn’t it be similar to Amazon removing the prime app or HBO removing their app?

Or say fox blocking their site if you are using a Mac computer or something.

Or am I completely missing what’s going on here?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Someone caved.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does anyone know If you can do the same on the Apple TV app?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw Apple TV in the list when I first read about 4K. However, it won’t support HDR as FOX use HLG which the ATV doesn’t support.

I’ll still be using it though, the 4K feed looked like a true 1080p feed in the sense that it wasn’t compressed to hell and back compared to the cable feed. For that alone it’s worth it. No more picture falling apart during the half time show with fast camera cuts and crazy lighting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw Apple TV in the list when I first read about 4K. However, it won’t support HDR as FOX use HLG which the ATV doesn’t support.

I’ll still be using it though, the 4K feed looked like a true 1080p feed in the sense that it wasn’t compressed to hell and back compared to the cable feed. For that alone it’s worth it. No more picture falling apart during the half time show with fast camera cuts and crazy lighting.

Ok awesome I’ll download the app.

Also what the gently caress is HLG? I’ll google it but why on earth would they use it when I don’t think much supports it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

High Log Gamma, because two competing niche technologies weren’t enough apparently.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EL BROMANCE posted:

High Log Gamma, because two competing niche technologies weren’t enough apparently.

You think there are only two? Sweet summer child.
HDR10
Dolby Vision
HDR10+
Hybrid Log Gamma
IMAX Enhanced
Technicolor Advanced HDR

Anyways, Hybrid Log Gamma is the standard that ATSC adopted and YouTube uses as well as BBC iPlayer. It's going to be pretty much the standard for linear broadcast.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 1, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I managed to do a tough thing and block out the bad memories. THANKS GUY! ;)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bull3964 posted:

HDR10
Dolby Vision
HDR10+
Hybrid Log Gamma
IMAX Enhanced
Technicolor Advanced HDR

Anyways, Hybrid Log Gamma is the standard that ATSC adopted and YouTube uses as well as BBC iPlayer. It's going to be pretty much the standard for linear broadcast.

Literally the dumbest thing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bull3964 posted:

HDR10
Dolby Vision
HDR10+
Hybrid Log Gamma
IMAX Enhanced
Technicolor Advanced HDR

And this is exactly why I bought a higher end LCD HDR TV instead of springing for the OLED TVs that cost twice as much that the HDTV thread almost universally has a boner for.

We have HDR10 and Dolby Vision, I'll splurge on a MicroLED or OLED TV when we settle on a standard where I know for sure I can actually enjoy the HDR for $2k. Even if is next year, I'm not buying something until the HDR format war is settled, we can move this TV from the den to the living room.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 1, 2020

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My OLED is over 3 years old and it's still amazing. No regrets, would buy again.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Three Olives posted:

And this is exactly why I bought a higher end LCD HDR TV instead of springing for the OLED TVs that cost twice as much that the HDTV thread almost universally has a boner for.

We have HDR10 and Dolby Vision, I'll splurge on a MicroLED or OLED TV when we settle on a standard where I know for sure I can actually enjoy the HDR for $2k. Even if is next year, I'm not buying something until the HDR format war is settled, we can move this TV from the den to the living room.

:ok:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My 2016 OLED got an update for Hybrid Log Gamma quite awhile ago.

That's pretty much the only additional one that matters.

Most of the other ones are going to aways be divided by brand. There will never be a set that supports all of them.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Really surprised that AppleTV doesn’t support HLG since that seems to be the settled standard for live UHD content.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Literally the dumbest thing.

HDR10 vs HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision is a stupid corporate pissing match format war. HLG at least has a technical reason to exist:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/26/20884246/nfl-4k-hdr-broadcast-first-ever-fox-sports-thursday-night-football-streaming

(Short version: it integrated into existing live event production workflows without having to buy and learn all new everything)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loving huge LOL and gently caress HBO.

So I’m flying out tomorrow and gonna spend about 20 hours total on a few flights. I was originally subscribed to HBO through amazon since the PQ in the amazon app is 10x better than the HBO now app.

Problem is amazon doesn’t let you download hbo shows for off line viewing.

Fixed easy enough because the Apple TV app does and has just as good PQ if not better awesome right?

Well no....

You can only download 5 things at once.... 5. Not even a full season of anything. I wanted to finish the watchmen but nope.

5 fuckin things.

Garbage.

Oh! And the app doesn’t even tell you what the limit is it just says you hit it. I had to google to see what it was. Ridiculous.

Edit: Not that it matters but the Netflix downloaded items cap is 50.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 3, 2020

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Could be worse... loaded up the Disney Plus app for a car trip. Then poof, the app just decided to not recognize any of my downloaded shows. Even though the iPad showed them taking up space in system settings. It also said I was not authorized to view downloaded content until I made a mobile hotspot with my phone. Glad I wasn’t on a flight.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

That's why you sail the loving seas.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

That's why you sail the loving seas.

Like this is legit not a joke.

I have no problem paying for poo poo but when they do stupid stuff like HBO it’s just frustrating and makes me wanna pirate things.

Also the fact that it’s not even reliable that the app will work when you have no connection.

Like it’s 2020 and we still can’t get this poo poo right.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m having some problems. I use a HDHR Duo as a tuner.

I moved from a place that was 10 miles from the ABC station tower to 35 miles away ABC in my area broadcasts on the VHF-Hi spectrum, or whatever. Everything worked fine before the move. My indoor antenna works perfectly (Winegard FL5500A) on all other channels that are UHF. I’m in an apartment building and am looking to do something to get ABC, but it seems like all the indoor antennas aren’t good enough. I placed my Winegard at the most optimal place available in my unit, and got weak or no signal.

What can I do to get a reliable VHF-Hi signal from a tower 35 miles away in an apartment building?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There isn't a difference between VHF and UHF radio signals, other than the length of the waves. The VHF frequencies are lower therefore longer / larger waves. Unfortunately this means the most straightforward way to receive them better is a larger antenna.

The ideal is a big huge antenna placed above the roof, but obviously that's not an option for many people.

If you're trying to get the signal right at your TV, definitely try placing your antenna in a window instead. In some cases big long "bunny ears" antennas may work better than high-tech seeming compact ones.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Antenna placement is pretty tricky in an apartment, you want it as high as possible and as far away from electronics as possible. I lucked out as my apartment has a junction box, so I put mine on top of a book shelf in my room and ran it through the box, and it works fine for the most part. I always had intermittent trouble receiving channel 12, and recently discovered that the cause of it is my bedroom light being on.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Any type of electronics to avoid? It’s near my modem right now, which has a (disabled) Wi-Fi radio.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

jokes posted:

Any type of electronics to avoid? It’s near my modem right now, which has a (disabled) Wi-Fi radio.

All electronics put out RF interference. I'm not an expert, but it also depends on just how much power is flowing through it. Again the best place for it will be as high as possible and as far away from electronics as possible, and even then you'll still catch stray interference from other things like the microwave, or a lighter since it's a small indoor antenna.

DrLaserfalcon
Nov 7, 2010

BattleHork posted:

Where are you people living that you have all that? Everything I get aside from the major networks are home shopping or about the Bible.

In LA, antennae gets us NHK (Japanese news) which is supremely entertaining. Also we get ABC, which my wife watches for about 37 hours a day.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Just got an email from Sling, where I've only had a free trial in the past. For the next five days I can restart and get the first month for $5. They're including 5 extras packages for free until 2/11, also. I might do it just to catch up on some on-demand stuff for the month.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
On my third day of owning the new Shield remote and I loving love it. No more delayed/duplicated button presses while the remote is waking up. Actual buttons for volume (IR even works with my soundbar and seems to have a wider blast range than my Harmony remote). Good weight and feels great in the hand and no more coin batteries.

30 bucks well spent.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

8-bit Miniboss posted:

On my third day of owning the new Shield remote and I loving love it. No more delayed/duplicated button presses while the remote is waking up. Actual buttons for volume (IR even works with my soundbar and seems to have a wider blast range than my Harmony remote). Good weight and feels great in the hand and no more coin batteries.

30 bucks well spent.
On the subject of remotes, I recently picked this up because my wife was sick of the touchpad on the Apple TV Siri remote. It's explicity designed around a TV + streaming device + soundbar setup, so it's been perfect for our living room (I've already got a Harmony for the more complicated home theater area). Intentionally low button count that takes care of basic directional/menu/playback input, with enough to spare for a few extra functions. For example I reprogrammed the channel +/- buttons to adjust the subwoofer level on my soundbar.

Seems like a great semi-universal compromise... won't overwhelm the less-tech savvy once it's set up, and it's great to have a drat mute button with the Apple TV.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I didn't see a streaming device megathread:

I need to replace a dead Chromecast and while I was originally going to just get another one, I've run into situations lately where I'd like to have a remote, or where the Chromecast wasn't supported by media apps (I just switched to an iPhone from Android so that is probably why).

I have a Roku 4, and I loving hate it for the following reasons:
*The device is ad supported (that is, there are ads on the home screen for like Fox Business and all sorts of insane bullshit like loving gum).
*The remote annihilates batteries, and came out of the box with an RDIO button that was dead less than two months into the product's launch
*The main menu feels old fashioned, slow and clunky like a cable box

I mention the above, because hopefully the new device would
*Have a remote or controller, or be compatible with Bluetooth devices
*Be compatible with myriad streaming services (understanding that Apple probably has locked AppleTV+ to just AppleTV devices)
*Be quick & responsive, with a nice menu system
*Have zero goddamned ads anywhere in any of the menus

edit: for clarity, I'm aware that there can be advertising within programming, particularly on free streaming services - that's not what I'm talking about.
I'm talking about this:

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 19, 2020

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

sarcastx posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I didn't see a streaming device megathread:

I need to replace a dead Chromecast and while I was originally going to just get another one, I've run into situations lately where I'd like to have a remote, or where the Chromecast wasn't supported by media apps (I just switched to an iPhone from Android so that is probably why).

I have a Roku 4, and I loving hate it for the following reasons:
*The device is ad supported (that is, there are ads on the home screen for like Fox Business and all sorts of insane bullshit like loving gum).
*The remote annihilates batteries, and came out of the box with an RDIO button that was dead less than two months into the product's launch
*The main menu feels old fashioned, slow and clunky like a cable box

I mention the above, because hopefully the new device would
*Have a remote or controller, or be compatible with Bluetooth devices
*Be compatible with myriad streaming services (understanding that Apple probably has locked AppleTV+ to just AppleTV devices)
*Be quick & responsive, with a nice menu system
*Have zero goddamned ads anywhere in any of the menus

edit: for clarity, I'm aware that there can be advertising within programming, particularly on free streaming services - that's not what I'm talking about.
I'm talking about this:

Apple TV or whatever the Nvidia one is called, I guess.

Sidenote: if you don’t want to see Fox News ads quit binging Last Man Standing.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I have a few Roku sticks and a 2 Roku Ultras. I have none of the lag issues, they're all snappy and load very quickly. I guess the ad part doesn't bother me because after using if for a while my brain just completely ignores that part of the screen and all the apps are laid out nicely for you. I have a Harmony remote so I don't have to use the Roku remote, which I will agree is not exactly good. I switched over to Roku from Amazon and have no regrets.

I really don't think you're going to find something without ads. Amazon is really bad for it. I can't really comment on the Apple one but maybe a Shield would work for you?

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

jabro posted:

Sidenote: if you don’t want to see Fox News ads quit binging Last Man Standing.

Dude this is not the reason I assure you. Once I saw the device had ads I attempted to RMA it on the basis of their lying on the box (the box says there are no ads, which is false) and now we only use it for HBO Go and streaming from my Synology NAS. It was possibly used to watch a few episodes of Bojack Horseman, but Bojack + Game of Thrones + Westworld is pretty different from LMS.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sounds like you want an Apple TV. Among many other things the remote battery lasts months (for us) and you charge it with a lightning cable.

E: except I don’t know about the NAS stuff.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
VLC for AppleTV will connect over the network to a Synology pretty easily

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sounds like you want an Apple TV. Among many other things the remote battery lasts months (for us) and you charge it with a lightning cable.

E: except I don’t know about the NAS stuff.

Get a sideclick for sure. The remote is pretty small and limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sarcastx posted:

Dude this is not the reason I assure you. Once I saw the device had ads I attempted to RMA it on the basis of their lying on the box (the box says there are no ads, which is false) and now we only use it for HBO Go and streaming from my Synology NAS. It was possibly used to watch a few episodes of Bojack Horseman, but Bojack + Game of Thrones + Westworld is pretty different from LMS.

Roku makes more money on advertising then selling the actual boxes now. The ads, sadly, will not go away and will probably get worse. They also do content matching to know what you're watching to sell analytics to advertisers.

I switched all my Roku devices to AppleTVs now, even my Roku TV. The remote sucks because of that stupid trackpad but everything else works flawlessly.

As a side note, if you have a Pihole or some sort of network wide ad-blocking device it will kill those Roku ads and tracking as well.