Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Yeah I tossed in another $27 around the same time I made that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gandlethorpe posted:

It still blows my mind that Obama picked ol' Uncle Joe as his VP after he said some racist poo poo packaged in a compliment. Like he couldn't have picked literally anyone else?

Biden was an assurance to the old white guys that he wasn't really going to do anything silly like give people health care or hold police accountable or stop starting wars.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

ArbitraryC posted:

The focus on the first state of a primary really feels like a shortcoming of the general process. I've read a couple pieces around online that are basically "why iowa, well why not iowa?" but they all seem to propose the only possible solution is simply picking a different fixed order. The entire argument is "if not iowa, then who else". And it's like I dunno, we don't do it state by state in the full on election, clearly there are other hypothetical ways to do it.

Maybe I'm just a tad bitter cause I'm in WA and our primary might as well not exist but it's like drat how has this not been addressed? If state by state is necessary, do a lottery, if not, do it at once, current system blows.
If we have to stick to a stupid primary system at all the party should be the one determining the order and they should be determining it on criteria from the previous election.

Better still to just shitcan primaries altogether, but with our political system as it is, they're kind of necessary. We need a new Constitution.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

The party stuff is after the vote. The only business is electing a chair (who is already actually chosen).

:sweatdrop: if that's the case.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

the video is even more horrifying than the quote makes it sound :magical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh_Ei0TeLe4

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

xerxus posted:

Yang is too poor to be a real Silicon Valley Magnate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Yang#Net_worth

His net worth is less than 5 million.

You can't do anything with $5 million, Greg. $5 million is a nightmare. Can't retire, not worth it to work. Five will drive you un poco loco, my fine-feathered friend.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Biden was an assurance to the old white guys that he wasn't really going to do anything silly like give people health care or hold police accountable or stop starting wars.

Yeah, back in 2008 they were pretty explicit about picking Biden to "balance the ticket".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

A big flaming stink posted:

the video is even more horrifying than the quote makes it sound :magical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh_Ei0TeLe4

Why is it "horrifying" that he's talking about the trials associated with kids going through puberty and becoming demanding?

Also do Americans not show physical affection to family members?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
So Nevada is having a new early caucus option this year. I’m not 100% sure how it works. Is there any reason to not just vote Bernie and skip the second choice option, or should I pick someone for some reason?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JBP posted:

Why is it "horrifying" that he's talking about the trials associated with kids going through puberty and becoming demanding?

Also do Americans not show physical affection to family members?

Love to make out with my granddaughter, who is also a snake

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, back in 2008 they were pretty explicit about picking Biden to "balance the ticket".

Still, weren't there dozens of other options (read: old white men) that didn't have a history of being embarrassing?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Failed Imagineer posted:

Love to make out with my granddaughter, who is also a snake

Is making out in America a kiss lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JBP posted:

It's important to smell the hair aswell

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Cerebral Bore posted:

I love that during "Obama's VP pick watch" someone on SA called in a pizza order at Biden's house as a prank. All the media were hanging around every potential pick like they were filming a nature documentary so it actually gave them something to report on when a pizza guy showed up.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/swalker06/status/1224030176591433733?s=20

That's amazing. But having just come out of the trauma that was the last UK results where Corbyn has similar pictures with similar loads of volunteers, I'm still bricking it.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
I just had a bad thought. What if Warren wins Iowa.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

Murdering a chicken and bathing in the entrails is a purely Victorian tradition.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Awful CompSloth posted:

That controversial poll had me a little worried with her sudden bump, but I think she's more likely to lose votes to Bernie than the other way around. Bernie will probably be viable at every precinct, but Warren's support may fluctuate depending on the region.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Awful CompSloth posted:

Bernie winning is the best, but Biden not winning is second best, so a Warren win isn't the worst outcome.

It would also mean that polling is crazy wrong right now, and anything could happen going forward.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Awful CompSloth posted:

I have good news, my faith in Bernie is unshakeable and absolute. He will win

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Feels a lot like UKMT in breathless moments before Corbynmania swept aside all resistance.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

JBP posted:

Feels a lot like UKMT in breathless moments before Corbynmania swept aside all resistance.

I mean Corbyn got ratfucked. Whatever happened to the poo poo about the postal vote count being done by a private firm with Tory ties?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

JBP posted:

It feels like that, but to the UKMT vets it also feels like the day before Boris swept in and we got absolutely crushed. Hope is a dangerous thing, yet we will cling to it and believe in it until our last day.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There is no meaningful comparison to be made here. We're talking different elections under different systems under different circumstances.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cerebral Bore posted:

There is no meaningful comparison to be made here. We're talking different elections under different systems under different circumstances.

100%. The American system is way worse.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Really? The US has a different election system and time? Tell me more, Obi-Wan.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Junior G-man posted:

Really? The US has a different election system and time? Tell me more, Obi-Wan.

Right, so there's no point in working yourself up over superficial similarities.

JBP posted:

100%. The American system is way worse.

Well, insofar that it's a somewhat more rancid turd, then yes.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

It feels like that, but to the UKMT vets it also feels like the day before Boris swept in and we got absolutely crushed. Hope is a dangerous thing, yet we will cling to it and believe in it until our last day.

It's going to be exactly like that, where the person polling ahead won by a larger than expected margin

Which is Bernie

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

I feel like people posting this didn't actually read the UKMT thread. Almost everyone knew the Cons were going to win. People hoped otherwise but basically every poll had Labour significantly behind. How is that anything like the Iowa caucus?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Yeah for us we knew the Tories were in the lead, but were hoping for a late surge that had gone unreported in the polls. It didn’t happen, and we got a right wing government instead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And that was generally credibly credited to Corbyn failing to articulating a coherent position on the primary politician issue of the day. Bernie has no equivalent.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

JBP posted:

If, you know, Corbyn was up by 3 or 4 points going into the election, it's a shame how you can't even be bothered to look at some polls before you come in here and shitpost

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

rscott posted:

If, you know, Corbyn was up by 3 or 4 points going into the election, it's a shame how you can't even be bothered to look at some polls before you come in here and shitpost

Corbyn won Labour leadership...

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

JBP posted:

That's shifting the goal posts - congrats on totally missing the point. This moment we are in right now was being compared to UKMT on the eve of the general election. That's why this whole conversation started.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Meanwhile Hoarsewisperer has raised almost $50,000 for Bernie over the last day

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1224157479644217345?s=19

This is loving magical.

Kraftwerk posted:

If losing Iowa doesn’t matter that much, what does winning it get you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6aPgA5549g

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The shifting goalposts of what he was referring to?

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

That's shifting the goal posts - congrats on totally missing the point. This moment we are in right now was being compared to UKMT on the eve of the general election. That's why this whole conversation started.

He explicitly was not talking about the general

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JBP posted:

We don't have Brexit and Sanders will never be 40 points underwater in approval.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just lmao

https://twitter.com/RebeccaKKatz/status/1224315919515684864?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Btw...that is supposed to be a smear. lol