Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was really disappointed because literally the day after I flew into Prague they took those babies down for maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thoatse posted:

BTW contrats on the new architecture gig Beet

I can see that thing daily, stop doxxing me kthxbye

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Inacio posted:

there's no way this isn't self aware
who's the goon working as social at CIG

There was/is at least one. In one of CIG videos from years ago there was a printed out :iiam: taped to the wall.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Viscous Soda posted:

There was/is at least one. In one of CIG videos from years ago there was a printed out :iiam: taped to the wall.

Plus the bear pic in the CitizenCon poster

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
PC Gaming has been saved, thanks Crobear!

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/1223959549851381760

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

From Spectrum:
There are a multitude of reasons for theaters of war starting with the most relevant to star citizen in its current form, optimizing ground, atmospheric and space combat while further blending them together. The PU in its current state consists of small sections of gameplay loosely linked, with the 890 jump mission covering the most bases. Having a test bed for these types of missions allows for further missions to be developed utilizing more forms of combat. Additionally the Theaters of War game mode would allow the developers to hone in the combat within the PU and more importantly at this point in time, Squadron 42. Currently gunplay feels weak, the weapons don't feel powerful or responsive, the grenade toss feels weak and unsatisfying, moving in general feels cumbersome, regardless of armor type. Atmospheric flight doesn't feel atmospheric and space combat feels like jousting, zipping past each other at high speeds and hitting targets less often. All these mechanics can be polished with an all encompassing game mode solely focused on combat and not diluted with cargo runs and box missions. This is especially important for Squadron 42, which is supposedly reaching beta later this year, where all systems should be complete and just be for testing and resolving issues, not redoing the flight model.

ToW is not however solely for testing and optimization purposes, but a fun game mode allowing players to easily join and play more intense and complete scenarios where they don't have to worry about their ship blowing up, or having to spawn 40 million kilometres away, or having to play with only the limited ships they own. These types of situations outlined in the scenarios are not very common and probably will never be very common in star citizen. In the PU they have to be planned, organized and managed, with even the most natural large scale interactions most likely being hit and run, or 1 significantly larger force. People won't play in the same way when they have in game money on the line. Therefore, a major purpose of ToW is to provide easily accessible versions of space battles we've been watching for years, like the battle over coruscant, which can be javelins and swarms of fighters above arccorp, or Hoth, set on microtech with novatanks and arrows. These types of scenarios seamlessly blending ground, air and space combat are perfect for star citizen as you can currently do lots of these types of scenarios in the PU, albeit with significant effort. These large scale scenarios are obviously the goal of ToW, providing fidelity never before seen in a video game.

I believe that Sean Tracy is doing a great job, providing gameplay, setting the stage for similar gameplay within the PU and optimizing combat to make it a clean experience that will allow not only Squadron 42 to succeed, which is heavily focused on combat, but the PU as well. I sure know what I dream of when seeing these massive capital ships, expansive planets and detailed locations.

Top-rated comment:
Waste of resources in my opinion. No disrespect to the devs. I just think that manpower would be better spent on the PU itself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How did they gently caress up the gunplay in this game so badly? It's a Crytek engine game, it's designed to make shooter games. It takes approximately 100 rounds to kill anyone and the AI is completely brain dead.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Popete posted:

How did they gently caress up the gunplay in this game so badly? It's a Crytek engine game, it's designed to make shooter games. It takes approximately 100 rounds to kill anyone and the AI is completely brain dead.

Because :trustme:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: I'm a Marketing graduate. This is how you convey Star Citizen's vision (Best intro for newcomers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mi222CCqVM

:argh: So, what's the deal if you already bought all those ships? where is the fun in Pay to Win? none, cheaters.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: So where do we go when a moderator abuses their power?

https://imgur.com/a/esrTUwJ

My apologies, I hope this is in the right place. I tried looking at the FAQ but saw nothing about this topic.

I'd like to start by saying maybe this is an honest mistake but I have a gut feeling it's not. If it is, then my bad.

About 3 years ago I was lifetime banned from the forums due to what I still feel was an abuse of power by a moderator. I had been given warnings and I heeded them then I had a small disagreement with someone and bam, lifetime ban. I didn't even use profanity or do anything I felt was overly negative. I have tried making concierge requests to speak to someone but that very senior moderator who banned me took over my concierge even though they weren't initially assigned to me and I find it hard to believe they gave me a fair reconsideration. I was told my ban would continue, so I thanked them for taking the time to reconsider me and went on about my business. Such is life.

However now that this moderator has control over my help requests they have started to take their time getting back to me, mark my problems as "awaiting my response" without even responding and seem to go out of their way to ignore me. I barely even make any concierge requests and only ask for help when it's absolutely necessary. Like for example , curently I am not getting any of the UEC I paid for in the PU, so I made a request about it. I spent a lot of money on this game and while I feel my lifetime ban was excessive I delt with it and let it go for 2 years then made that reconsideration request and apologized.

I get it, I screwed up and I was banned, that's fine, I can admit I could of been more understanding and less abrasive but I was and still am passionate about the game, even to a fault.. However, I at least feel I should get the concerige service I was assured I would get. I have not been aggressive or rude to anyone in my requests. I just feel there should be someone we can seek help with that is above a moderator, otherwise as we all know, power corrupts. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

:shepspends: Nice. Admitting there is a problem is the first step. welcome back and lets hope you and them can resolve this peacefully.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quavers posted:

:reddit: I'm a Marketing graduate. This is how you convey Star Citizen's vision (Best intro for newcomers)

:argh: So, what's the deal if you already bought all those ships? where is the fun in Pay to Win? none, cheaters.

I am the janky landing gear hovering above the ground at :23

Also a great comparison, IMO. SC in 2017 (and before) - people tried to make gameplay. SC in 2020 - people gave up and just look at shiny visuals.

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 3, 2020

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's cool that the best argument CIG can come up with for why their battlefield knockoff should exist is "Well the real game isn't actually any fun, so maybe this will be" lol

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Despite Sean Tracy already admitting that Battlefield Citizen will be just as janky and broken as the PU, because the latency will suck until *waves hands*

:gary:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:munch: Some top-voted comments from two official threads on Spectrum :allears:

Roadmap Roundup - January 31st, 2020

:v: Roadmap have Been removed from Roadmap : - After a review with leadership during planning week

:colbert: Why even bother putting in the column for 4.1 and 4.2? Every 3 months you guys remove most of the stuff from the upcoming patch. Just look at last week. Over 27 entries have been removed from 3.9. Shouldnt with staggered development most of the stuff for 4.0 already be going full steam ahead? If you put 4.1 and 4.2 in we know right before the release of 4.1 you guys will remove most of the stuff from 4.1 roadmap

:nono: I personally don't want to have the cards for 4.1 and 4.2 anymore. It's only frustration how you handle and communicate the public roadmap.

:commissar: Just CIG why do you guys just keep murdering the roadmap?? WTF

:suicide: more stuff removed, the PU will have like 1 feature a patch at this rate., I think I should just honestly take a break, do not spend any more money in pledges and come back in a year to see how it is a year from now. All the things that i was excited about in 3.9 are nearly gone, only thing left is prison gameplay and that looks like is delayed and may be getting moved to 4.0 as well. They must not like money, people excited about the PU and having fun in the PU=ships sold in the SC that can help development. Completily neglecting the PU is only going to bring revenue down ...I hope they have a lot of money saved up...

:negative: Same procedure as last week? Same procedure as every week (this year)!

Calling All Devs - January 2020 Question Thread (hasn't happened, even that's been delayed :lol:)

:crossarms: What's up with SQ42? Why are so many chapters so far behind on the roadmap?

:confused: What is the state of Dynamic Economy that we saw with TonyZ is it still on time for 3.9?

:ohdear: What are the plans to improve/finish the current flight model, specially for atmospheric flight?

:shrug: Tell us about your plans and current progress toward bringing the hangars on our accounts persistently into the game.

:horse: What's the current status of the wildlife/animals?

:pray: Is deeper multicrew gameplay planned, e.g. that a scan officer can scan objects independently regardless of the orientation of the ship, or that the weapons officer on a freelancer MIS /Conni Andromeda can independently target several targets and fight them with missiles?

:yikes: Games like The Witcher or Cyberpunk are showing how important the appearance of sexuality can be for the authenticity of a game world. How “sexy” will the world of Star Citizen and Squadron42 be? Will it be more like Skyrim where sexuality not really happens or will we get a “Witcher in Space” with red-light districts and explicit presentation of sex (or something in between like in Mass Effect)?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
lol half the comments are deleted by CIG moderators. Apparently citizens aren't asking the right questions.

Also what is the point of these questions? I don't see any responses from devs anywhere.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

quote:

CIG: For 2020, in line with your feedback and we're going to try something even newer by bringing back an old favorite

Try something new... Better than new.. even newer ! Almost Never been done before ! And Bring back and old favourite.. wait what?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

DigitalPenny posted:

Try something new... Better than new.. even newer ! Almost Never been done before ! And Bring back and old favourite.. wait what?

An "old favorite" in a game that's never been released, still isn't even in the beginning of the design phase, and where not a single module works properly, if at all. Buy more ships*!

* Ships do not exist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Star Citizen: will it be more like Skyrim

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Popete posted:

lol half the comments are deleted by CIG moderators. Apparently citizens aren't asking the right questions.

Also what is the point of these questions? I don't see any responses from devs anywhere.

It's a blood bath night rider must need a new key board with extra delete keys on it by now with how much use it's getting.

It's a like Soviet era or despot media but you see it getting made.

"Tonight at 7 we will be letting our viewers ask our glorious leader the tough questions they want answered! Call now so we can hear your questions"

Deleted
Deleted
Deleted
Deleted
Deleted
How lucky are we to have glorious leader ?
Deleted

Wow hard hitting stuff!! Those questions were even better than the state approved questions are journalist ask. Now stay tuned at 7:30 for some suprise executions, it's seams some goons have used glorious leaders good will to spread FUD!

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Because they record themselves answering the questions then post that video on twitch as "live"

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

https://www.ccn.com/irredeemable-blizzard-go-too-far-after-banning-warcraft-iii-gamers/

Seams Blizzard are taking a lesson on from CIG..

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

An "old favorite" in a game that's never been released, still isn't even in the beginning of the design phase, and where not a single module works properly, if at all. Buy more ships*!

* Ships do not exist.

It's absurdity normalised...

Dropping "old favorites" in make it sound like they are tv producers who a struggling to find new content so are throwing in cheap re runs and remakes for filler air time.

So many golden moments to rehash they can re do the kck starter as a throw back special!! Kick starter
V1

Maybe we can get some real game devs to do a bunch of cameos on the show!

Maybe they could do a new version of bug smashers with no code on the screen but play canned laughter everytime something goes wrong. They could call it two and a half alphas.

So much scope for cheap ripoffs they might as well embrace what they can do instead of pretending to make games

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

DigitalPenny posted:

Dropping "old favorites" in make it sound like they are tv producers who a struggling to find new content so are throwing in cheap re runs and remakes for filler air time.

Every word they say or type is designed with brainwashing in mind. It's absurdly transparent, and it's working like a charm.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DigitalPenny posted:

That quote by CIG broke my brain.

How can it be new(er) if it involves bringing back something old?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dementropy posted:

From Spectrum:
There are a multitude of reasons for theaters of war starting with the most relevant to star citizen in its current form, optimizing ground, atmospheric and space combat while further blending them together. The PU in its current state consists of small sections of gameplay loosely linked, with the 890 jump mission covering the most bases. Having a test bed for these types of missions allows for further missions to be developed utilizing more forms of combat. Additionally the Theaters of War game mode would allow the developers to hone in the combat within the PU and more importantly at this point in time, Squadron 42. Currently gunplay feels weak, the weapons don't feel powerful or responsive, the grenade toss feels weak and unsatisfying, moving in general feels cumbersome, regardless of armor type. Atmospheric flight doesn't feel atmospheric and space combat feels like jousting, zipping past each other at high speeds and hitting targets less often. All these mechanics can be polished with an all encompassing game mode solely focused on combat and not diluted with cargo runs and box missions. This is especially important for Squadron 42, which is supposedly reaching beta later this year, where all systems should be complete and just be for testing and resolving issues, not redoing the flight model.

ToW is not however solely for testing and optimization purposes, but a fun game mode allowing players to easily join and play more intense and complete scenarios where they don't have to worry about their ship blowing up, or having to spawn 40 million kilometres away, or having to play with only the limited ships they own. These types of situations outlined in the scenarios are not very common and probably will never be very common in star citizen. In the PU they have to be planned, organized and managed, with even the most natural large scale interactions most likely being hit and run, or 1 significantly larger force. People won't play in the same way when they have in game money on the line. Therefore, a major purpose of ToW is to provide easily accessible versions of space battles we've been watching for years, like the battle over coruscant, which can be javelins and swarms of fighters above arccorp, or Hoth, set on microtech with novatanks and arrows. These types of scenarios seamlessly blending ground, air and space combat are perfect for star citizen as you can currently do lots of these types of scenarios in the PU, albeit with significant effort. These large scale scenarios are obviously the goal of ToW, providing fidelity never before seen in a video game.

I believe that Sean Tracy is doing a great job, providing gameplay, setting the stage for similar gameplay within the PU and optimizing combat to make it a clean experience that will allow not only Squadron 42 to succeed, which is heavily focused on combat, but the PU as well. I sure know what I dream of when seeing these massive capital ships, expansive planets and detailed locations.

Top-rated comment:
Waste of resources in my opinion. No disrespect to the devs. I just think that manpower would be better spent on the PU itself.

How is "making space combat fun" in a space combat game not number 1 on the list of things to do?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

That quote by CIG broke my brain.

How can it be new(er) if it involves bringing back something old?

quote:

CIG: For 2020, in line with your feedback and we're going to try something even newer by bringing back an old favorite

If they were being honest

You pointed out 2019 was a poo poo year for content, so we are going to roll back to the last thing that half worked and we can still do. We know it's not great but we don't know how else to make it better. Thanks for being patient while we tried something different. #gamedevishard #gamedevshowisharder

No new
No newer
No favorites

But that would ruin the office bets on how much blatantly obvious bullshit they can put into a single post and get away with.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
But they had Space Marine and they had Space Arena. These were both self-contained things that they could have used to perfect both shooting on foot and flying in space. Why do they need a new mode to do what these already did?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sillybones posted:

But they had Space Marine and they had Space Arena. These were both self-contained things that they could have used to perfect both shooting on foot and flying in space. Why do they need a new mode to do what these already did?

Well duh, it brings them all together of course.

The problem is, both Star Marine and Arena Commander failed in what they were meant to do. They still can't decide on how the flight model should behave and the shooter side is still crap compared with the real FPS shooters out there.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

The problem is, both Star Marine and Arena Commander failed in what they were meant to do. They still can't decide on how the flight model should behave and the shooter side is still crap compared with the real FPS shooters out there.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recklessly declare that this is because CR can't design a game to save his life, and nobody else has had sufficient authority to do anything unless everybody is sure Chris approves. Organizational paralysis great stuff; everything is ultimately dependent on a guy who runs off to Monaco or keeps fiddling with shoelaces.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sandepande posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recklessly declare that this is because CR can't design a game to save his life

Whoa there! Citation that poo poo!

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Agony Aunt posted:

they also fail because they don't feel close in how they play, movement, shooting, flight, compared to the PU, it's like those modules were made by some unnamed 3rd party.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

That's called a solar eclipse.

It would be funny if someone managed to send Ben into orbit before SC is released.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

stingtwo posted:

it's like those modules were made by some unnamed 3rd party.

Once upon a time, Star Marine was, until the "scaling" problem.

Then Star Marine was developed internally at CIG.

It upholds the same quality as Arena Commander.

Theaters of War promises the same.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thoatse posted:

BTW contrats on the new architecture gig Beet

:stonk:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: 1:100 Anvil Aerospace Arrow Model Kit — JRD+F - Now released!

:gonk: What the hell is that pricetag?? 110$ for a 1:100 model? Are they out of their minds?

:shepspends: 110 pounds.. ouch! I can own a whole bunch of Cutlass Red pixels for that kind of money! Nice model though

:doh: IKR, if it was assembled and painted maybe. Like the Constellation model that came out a few years ago. That thing was nice, and worth the money.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Currently at the top hot in Spectrum:

quote:

Applause to CIG!

This is top level prestidigitation, things disappear from the roadmap and nobody knows where they ended up.

:drat:

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 3, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Gotta admit, I learned what prestidigitation means.

Now my goal is to use it in a casual sentence.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Quavers posted:

this actually hurts to watch. thanks for posting, i hate it.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Sandepande posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recklessly declare that this is because CR can't design a game to save his life, and nobody else has had sufficient authority to do anything unless everybody is sure Chris approves. Organizational paralysis great stuff; everything is ultimately dependent on a guy who runs off to Monaco or keeps fiddling with shoelaces.

hosed up if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

:reddit: 1:100 Anvil Aerospace Arrow Model Kit — JRD+F - Now released!

:gonk: What the hell is that pricetag?? 110$ for a 1:100 model? Are they out of their minds?

:shepspends: 110 pounds.. ouch! I can own a whole bunch of Cutlass Red pixels for that kind of money! Nice model though

:doh: IKR, if it was assembled and painted maybe. Like the Constellation model that came out a few years ago. That thing was nice, and worth the money.

Its limited edition though. A great investment. In the distant future there will be a Star Citizen obsessed fan who will collect these things and pay top dollar for them. The sort of person who will have a YouTube channel called something like "All scams considered" where he obsesses over the once-maybe game that was Star Citizen.