Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kill Bristol posted:

hell yeah build the wall, keep those filthy ~nonlocals~ in search of economic opportunity out
What's gentrification, precious? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

What's gentrification, precious? :allears:

please do expound on what conditions you consider morally justifiable for someone to immigrate to california.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Oneiros posted:

please do expound on what conditions you consider morally justifiable for someone to immigrate to california.

:emptyquote:

Gentrification as it's commonly used is not a terribly useful term honestly because it's vague enough that it's used to describe both things that absolutely have real and concrete impacts on people's lives (such as areas near jobs becoming rapidly unaffordable to many due to rising rent) as well as essentially aesthetic concerns (basically just another version of complaining about ~neighborhood character~).

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 3, 2020

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Oneiros posted:

capitalists, while shitstains, are not the primary source of california's woes. hope that helps.

:thunk:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Oneiros posted:

capitalists, while shitstains, are not the primary source of california's woes. hope that helps.

Blaming Coastal California's housing crisis on unregulated free market capitalism reveals a pretty big misunderstanding of the problem.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Oneiros posted:

yes they are, just like they're the primary source of all of america and the world's woes

i'm under no illusion i am somehow escaping capitalists being lovely by leaving, i'd rather stay if i could

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
the california democratic party is run by capitalists in case you are interpreting this as my excusing our poo poo rear end government from their responsibility

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Oneiros posted:

I mean, that's not true bud. "If it can't make a profit ignore it; if it can relentlessly exploit it into the ground" is absolutely wrecking CA.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

nimbyism is rooted in the fundamental dukkha of a capitalist economy: everyone knows that if their net worth drops low enough they'll get tossed into the dung heap. People whose future of not collecting cardboard and dying of preventable disease depends on the appreciating value of the house they live in have every right to feel terror at threats to that.

many in their desperation then try to kick down the ladder that they climbed up, and fall victim to fascist stories of The Enemy Threatening Our Community. otherwise decent people look away from the homeless the same reason they look away from corpses, and abuse them for the same reason they abuse people locked in the stocks: pain of facing risk they can't truly control. there but for the grace of the bosses go i.

a number 2, no ketchup, and an unsweetened ice tea, please

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Capitalism can be fairly said to be the cause of most of our problems, if you want to use that framing. Property owners who seek to avoid fair taxes on their investment and preserve its value through blocking new development are certainly capitalists in that they own capital whose value they seek to protect.

But there are places that are capitalist that don’t have these specific issues. You don’t need a revolution to get better land use policy. Blaming everything on some amorphous socioeconomic system overlooks the concrete and actionable steps that can be taken in the near term to improve things. Whether or not “capitalism” is to blame isn’t a terribly interesting conversation imo. It’s the broader social structure in which we’re all enmeshed. You can trace most things in our lives, good or bad, back to it if you felt so inclined.

silence_kit posted:

Blaming Coastal California's housing crisis on unregulated free market capitalism reveals a pretty big misunderstanding of the problem.

Yeah the better way to understand it is almost total regulatory capture by the homeowner class. Still technically capitalism, if you’re particularly emotionally invested in that being to blame. But a different variety.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 3, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

regulatory capture is the resting equilibrium of liberal capitalism, though we have a few other names for it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Doc Hawkins posted:

a number 2, no ketchup, and an unsweetened ice tea, please
Ex-southerner spotted. The years I spent saying "Unsweet iced tea" because the default was sugar syrup.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ex-southerner spotted. The years I spent saying "Unsweet iced tea" because the default was sugar syrup.

lol

i won't steal valor, i only went to school there for a bit. but yeah, spot on, that's where i got it.

e: and every time, they quietly bring out artificial sweetener packets with it, since i must be a diabetic, poor thing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Like, we can compare California to other capitalist states and capitalist countries and specifically note that there are things we are doing very well and things we are doing very poorly compared to the baseline; where we're doing badly, it's evident that we could be doing better even while under our fundamentally capitalist economic structure; and gosh it would be nice to be able to talk about those things without the conversation inevitably and strenuously being diverted into :capitalism: revolutionary cheerleading. Or especially, blanket dismissal of proposals for changes based on whether or not those proposals are literally the revolution.

Especially in D&D, where there are plenty of places to have that particular conversation ad nauseum, right next door.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Oneiros posted:

I'm everyone that blanked the effects all the SIKK TECH CASH is having on housing to type furiously at nonlocal prejudice.

We're constructing a giant OAKIES KEEP WALKIN sign as I shitpost.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/Scott_Wiener/status/1224348342135578624

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I'm everyone that blanked the effects all the SIKK TECH CASH is having on housing to type furiously at nonlocal prejudice.

We're constructing a giant OAKIES KEEP WALKIN sign as I shitpost.

Ok you got your SICK DUNKZ in, now answer the question.

Oneiros posted:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
:ssh: the influence of abundant capital on the housing market, especially in the example provided where prices become skewed, sucks regardless of where the person comes from :ssh:

Unless they're like, white people. White people suck and mayofy the communities they infect.

:spooky: I sometimes cry out in my sleep, tormented by visions of $25 breakfast sandwiches and probiotic coffees carried by sun-scorned spectres shrieking "you need a permit for thaaaaaaaaat" :spooky:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 3, 2020

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
drat wow that’s some cutting edge stuff. finally someone put those hipsters in their place. but biting satire aside, you still haven’t answered the question.

You seem to think it’s acceptable for people to move in some circumstances but not others. What are the Correct Circumstances in which one may morally correctly move then?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Like, we can compare California to other capitalist states and capitalist countries and specifically note that there are things we are doing very well and things we are doing very poorly compared to the baseline; where we're doing badly, it's evident that we could be doing better even while under our fundamentally capitalist economic structure; and gosh it would be nice to be able to talk about those things without the conversation inevitably and strenuously being diverted into :capitalism: revolutionary cheerleading. Or especially, blanket dismissal of proposals for changes based on whether or not those proposals are literally the revolution.

Especially in D&D, where there are plenty of places to have that particular conversation ad nauseum, right next door.

ignoring the fact that capitalism needs to die just helps prolong capitalism though

constantly talking about guillotines and poo poo-talking capitalism might not end capitalism, but it definitely wont help it, also its the right thing to do and its fun :d2a:

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Rah! posted:

ignoring the fact that capitalism needs to die just helps prolong capitalism though

constantly talking about guillotines and poo poo-talking capitalism might not end capitalism, but it definitely wont help it, also its the right thing to do and its fun :d2a:

Nah, actually after reading the 1000th post about capitalism and guillotines (bonus points for casual racism against white people), it gets kinda tiresome.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Seph posted:

Nah, actually after reading the 1000th post about capitalism and guillotines (bonus points for casual racism against white people), it gets kinda tiresome.

:wrong:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Seph posted:

racism against white people

heh

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Seph posted:

(bonus points for casual racism against white people)

While Seph and I apparently agree on the maybe we don't have to constantly beat the :capitalism: drum in every loving discussion, I want to state with absolutely unequivocal clarity that: gently caress this parenthetical comment completely

"racist against white people" is a dog whistle, except not one of those silent dog whistles that only dogs can hear, it's just a loud loving whistle

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Seph posted:

Oh drat, I didn't realize it was so hard for you.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
I'm not sure how it's a dog whistle when there's a post literally on the same page saying how much white people suck. Sorry for calling out that bullshit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sorry sir, do you want us to get the manager?

#notALLwhitepeople :cry:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Seph posted:

I'm not sure how it's a dog whistle when there's a post literally on the same page saying how much white people suck. Sorry for calling out that bullshit.

Are you the one white person who actually gets offended by "cracker"?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Seph posted:

terms you should probably try to learn the meaning of before attempting this argument:

• "dog whistle"
  • "racism"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Seph posted:

What a bad faith post. Have you ever been to those areas? It's miles of single family homes in every direction.

If we want to build enough housing units then entire corridor down the blue line would need to be yellow. Not the various shades of low medium and high it is right now.

If we're dunking on Seph, and we should for that comment, anyone who's actually been to South Central knows it's a ton of apartment buildings.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

No I just think it's kinda lovely to lump people of one race together regardless of what that race is. It always irks how supposed leftists say poo poo about white people that would get you banned if it were any other race. But carry on openly making GBS threads on a single race.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Seph posted:

No I just think it's kinda lovely to lump people of one race together regardless of what that race is. It always irks how supposed leftists say poo poo about white people that would get you banned if it were any other race. But carry on openly making GBS threads on a single race.

Race is a fiction invented by white people as a framework to justify their domination of nonwhite people. If white people feel burdened by racism, they can just call the whole race thing off and stop being white whenever. Nonwhite people do not have this luxury. This is why it's impossible to be racist against white people. Honky

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Poster is correct, perhaps we should all consider that White Lives Matter eh? :agesilaus:

Anyway, Iowa shows that this election is off to a great start. Can't wait to see what LA's new digital ballots will have in store.

amaru_chulla
Sep 3, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Seph posted:

:discourse:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Seph posted:

Hahahahah go home honkey. Whiteness is a a political sickness, and anyone who identifies as white is a class enemy.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Kenning posted:

Hahahahah go home honkey. Whiteness is a a political sickness, and anyone who identifies as white is a class enemy.

Oh word I can choose not to be white? Thanks for the tip!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I bet you don’t approve of Malcom X either.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kenning posted:

it's why i prefer to identify as hibernian, our proud race even have a national holiday coming up

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

I bet you don’t approve of Malcom X either.

Are we talking before or after Nation of Islam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Lol take the L, buddy