Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So is it an essential oil mod or not? My aunt on Facebook wants to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mierenneuker posted:

homoeopathic oils mod: oils no longer have any effect

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mierenneuker posted:

Please tell me TW3 has a quest about shutting down a pyramid scheme

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

sebmojo posted:

homoeopathic oils mod: oils no longer have any effect

I just applied them once at the start of the game, and I felt fine

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I like full potency oils applied to the shaft of my blade. No homeo.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
So why are the balance changes and improvements made by the lead gameplay designer in a mod as opposed to, in the game by default (or at least in a patch)?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Darkrenown posted:

So why are the balance changes and improvements made by the lead gameplay designer in a mod as opposed to, in the game by default (or at least in a patch)?

Because they are not universally recognized as improvements, or the team has moved on to other projects and it would be too costly to test and QA and publish a patch years after release, especially on consoles

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Doesn't say they were the literal lead designer at least in the description but yeah, I doubt even a senior designer can just push their personal tweaks they've fiddled around with on their own time into a game like that. Modding for personal use is surely all kinds of easier.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I haven't played w3, but I'm getting the idea that you're not really supposed to oil yourself up before every battle? Like if you wanted to absolutely minmax your experience you could be a slippery boi throughout the entire game, and I guess a mod that automates that chore would help people who want to do it, but it's supposed to be something you do with a few select, special people?

like if you're playing an RPG you could swap out all your gear for frosty weapons and toasty armour every time you run into a pack of fire gnomes, and swap it all back for the next thing you see, but it doesn't mean that's how you're meant to play the game even if you really want those buffs. A mod that did all that work for you sure would help, but it doesn't mean the game was broken for not putting a button in to do that in the first place, y'know?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

no, oils are infinite use even beyond having to rest to refill them, you can just apply them over and over, there's nothing stopping you from getting nice and greasy every fight. the thing is that even on the highest difficulty once your character is beyond a certain level with decent gear, having the correct oil on your sword is just a bonus, it's not really a make or break factor in winning fights.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
In conclusion the world of The Oiler is that of various shades of gray and sometimes there simply are no obviously right or wrong answers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can’t play Spellforce 3 because I can’t click anything in the main menu. I checked the Steam forums and in 2018 the devs recognized the issue and just said “Windows did it, not our fault” while some creep screamed at people to sign up to his Discord to get the fix (which is just turning off vsync and doesn’t work).

Oh well

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Based on the symptom, response, and date I'm going to blindly suggest going into the compatibility settings for the application, switching on the High DPI Scaling Override and trying out the various options there to see if one resolves it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Speaking of oils, I have a Cook, Serve, Delicious question: You can't set your keybindings on a "per recipe" basis, right? For example, you can't make the Left key dump deep fried foods into a plate, because it's also the key to chop some fish head off.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of oils, I have a Cook, Serve, Delicious question: You can't set your keybindings on a "per recipe" basis, right? For example, you can't make the Left key dump deep fried foods into a plate, because it's also the key to chop some fish head off.

CSD1: I don't remember
CSD2: I believe you could rebind things by recipe.
CSD3: uhh... it looks like you can't, though it seems to indicate that you can? I suspect that this is something missing from the game and will be added in the future.

e: asking in the discord now hang on

"oh, this is CSD3? you go into practice for a food and then when you have the ingredients up, you can press F1 and click to rebind keys"

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 3, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Based on the symptom, response, and date I'm going to blindly suggest going into the compatibility settings for the application, switching on the High DPI Scaling Override and trying out the various options there to see if one resolves it.

Unfortunately none of those fix it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

StrixNebulosa posted:

CSD1: I don't remember
CSD2: I believe you could rebind things by recipe.
CSD3: uhh... it looks like you can't, though it seems to indicate that you can? I suspect that this is something missing from the game and will be added in the future.

e: asking in the discord now hang on

"oh, this is CSD3? you go into practice for a food and then when you have the ingredients up, you can press F1 and click to rebind keys"

I meant in CSD 1. Yeah, I probably should have worded that better. Thanks for the answer.

Steam Forums say that you can only use letters to rebind, which is annoying. Oh, well, I bought the bundle just to make my way to 3, and I'm 5 hours in 1 and still having fun with it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I like full potency oils applied to the shaft of my blade. No homeo.

:tizzy:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hwurmp posted:

please oil your auto at recommended intervals

I thought the recommended mileage markers they give you are way off base and too frequent creating extra waste, especially if you use synthetics

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I got this one from the developer because it looked like my kind of chill experience. I think that's what they were going for, but if so, they very much didn't get there.

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls

3. Dune Sea

It’s always important to have a clear sense of purpose and direction in a game, both in terms of the narrative and the actual gameplay. The player should never be left sitting there wondering why they’re doing anything, which is how I spent most of my time with Dune Sea. I understood what I was doing, certainly, getting from one end of a level to the other without slamming into something harder than my soft, goosey body. But I never understood why I was doing it, or collecting other birds, or flying through rings, or honking, or flying through rings to drop rocks on alien flowers. And without that direction, it became harder and harder to keep going as the experience unraveled further.

You are a goose, star of a titled game this time, and resident of a rather arid patch of land. Your usual soaring and honking are interrupted, however, by a massive explosive impact that luckily does not vaporize you. You set off on your aerial constitutional anyway to find the deserts greatly changed, with rocks hovering in midair, strange crystals jutting from the dunes, and ravenous black flowers lashing at anything in range. At least, I assume this is tied to the big boom, and not the usual state of things. The game never specifies how these events are related, or how you figure into this place.

So that’s strike one, the presence of a narrative framework that doesn’t connect at all to the player or their character. But you can surely overlook that once you take flight and soar across beautiful sun-touched vistas. The game’s ten or so levels are rendered in an appropriately chunky, minimalist style that gives boulders real weight and trees real volume. Flying is simple enough, you hold down RT to flap and stay in the air, and steer with the analog stick. You’ve got a special dive and roll which speed you along, the option to land at certain checkpoints, and a honk button that can attract other birds. Flapping drains your stamina slowly, but you can get it back by landing or nipping seeds and leaves out of the air as you cruise.

That’s all well and good, and the stages have some fine scenery to admire along the way. They also have floating boulders and tight passages to negotiate, with a single touch being instantly fatal. At first they’ll be easy enough to avoid, even with the momentum physics of your goose, but as stages get more complex and the dynamic camera angles get bolder, you’ll end up slamming into walls you didn’t realize we walls and floating rocks that zoom at you from off-screen. The flight physics started to grate on me too, especially the awkward midair turn your bird does if you want to go back to the left. It’s such a minor thing, but when the entire game is about sailing gracefully through the skies, turning like a locomotive at a roundhouse really breaks the illusion.

Your bird friends clipping through cliffs and continuing their flight animations while parked at a rest stop break that illusion too. You’ll need them to activate puzzles where you fly though rings to cause some piece of the scenery to move. In the level where they introduce them, solving each puzzle makes a rock fall and squish an evil black flower. In the next level, there are more black flowers but apparently no puzzles? And then in the next one, a puzzle opens a secret path, but if you don’t hold the flap button during the cutscene that shows you this, you fall out of the sky and die when the game hands you back control. And the puzzle resets, meaning you have to backtrack across half the level to start it again.

I get the feeling the developers of Dune Sea knew what kind of experience they wanted to present, but had no idea how to make it into a game. The irony is that simple, peaceful games about flying around as a bird do pretty well in the indie space, while janky games with instant death walls and nonsense mechanics tend to get overlooked. I still don’t know what those black flowers are, or how doing Superman 64 ring challenges affects them, or why you’re even on your airborne quest. I have many more questions than answers about Dune Sea, and not nearly enough patience for confusing levels and poor designs to see them answered.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

finished blasphemous

does anyone know why one of the final bosses is voiced by what sounds like a meek teenage girl trying to tell the starbucks cashier that she got the wrong order

enjoyed most of the game’s voice work myself, but her voice was distractingly terrible to an extreme degree & I hope the devs end up getting to add the spanish voices they talked about just for an opportunity to fix her.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Too Shy Guy posted:

But I never understood why I was ... honking

sorry you've lost me

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Trese Brothers are kickstarting their next game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I will buy anything those dudes make and while I am not gonna KS anything ever again I'll get it the moment it's otherwise available.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

I will buy anything those dudes make and while I am not gonna KS anything ever again I'll get it the moment it's otherwise available.

I’ve gotta say, I think I’ve had like... two, maybe three kickstarters actually work out for me. The overwhelming majority have resulted in damp farts of a game like Wasteland 2.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
XCOM 2 is basically a perfect game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

I can respect that. Most of my KSes have been late, with Shadowrun Hong Kong being the one notable exception.

that said I am contractually obligated to fund indie versions of XCOM, regardless of what I think of them so goodbye money! may this kickstarter be as awesome as the one for Star Traders Frontiers was!

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's interesting to think about for me, that I really loved nuXCOM but I've bounced off almost every other one that has been made, at least the more direct derivatives including XCOM 2. Sometimes I wonder if I just wasn't that into the whole thing in the first place or what. My gaming preferences have definitely undergone a wild shift in the last year or so but that one keeps puzzling me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think Sekiro is finally letting me go, about 500 hours later :shepface:

I know there was the new Stars War, and it took some cues from Sekiro; how did that turn out? Aside from that, besides MGR (which I've played to death already) and of course the soulsborne series (which isn't really the same in gameplay at all), is there anything else out there with that same appeal, in the skill challenge of learning rhythms like deflection/striking, or whatever equivalent?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

I know there was the new Stars War, and it took some cues from Sekiro; how did that turn out? Aside from that, besides MGR (which I've played to death already) and of course the soulsborne series (which isn't really the same in gameplay at all), is there anything else out there with that same appeal, in the skill challenge of learning rhythms like deflection/striking, or whatever equivalent?
I played nu Star Wars and honestly, it's less than the sum of it's parts. If you really want to play it, you can signup for Origin Access for $15 and unsubscribe. It's a bunch of individual elements that are fairly competently done, but it doesn't come together well and sort of feels messy. Also story is loving stupid as poo poo (as one would not be surprised to encounter because lmao at Disney letting anyone do anything with a licensed Star Wars title, but still very disappointing).

It is also the most "video gamey" game i've played, and that's not really a good thing. It's like a bunch of things that are "VIDEO GAME" but don't fit coherently at all. Donkey Kong 64 bouncing on lily pads in nonsensical levels, lots of sliding down ramps, weird cable cars, giant puzzles that are just giant puzzles, lots of things just placed because video game. It just stands out like a sore thumb and feels very awkward. Crash Bandicoot levels make more loving sense. And lots of pointless and skippable backtracking that was included for the sake of padding but nothing is changed on the backtracking. "Hey i hope you remember this chest that you can't open now, but you can open 5 hrs from now, in the exact same area! too bad!". Like at least in Metroid you're unlocking poo poo to get to new areas like vent-balls and grappling, this is just "you can't oepn this chest now!!" and it's insulting and dumb.

it really falls apart if you look at it any in sort of light other than "duhhh turn ur brain off!!" mindless escapism to distract yourself from hellworld, which hey, is perfectly fine, but it's also disappointing because TItanfall 2 was such a good and coherently executed game start to finish. I didn't hate FO, it was entertaining and fun in the moment, but I got busy one week and stopped playing 90% through and just never thought about even picking it up again because it's just also not 'good' either in any sort of reflection hindsight

I would instead recommend The Surge 2. It was insanely addicting for me with lots of things to explore, unlock, and fight. Combat was meaty but not stupidly hard and it had a lot of challenge and deflection with directional parrying/dodging and limb targetting to get sweet blueprints. It's really good

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 3, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Fallen Order is a very low-rent Sekiro. Parrying has the same importance but the whole game is very safe in terms of expectations. It's the ultimate feel good popcorn game and while Sekiro experience of your level means you're gonna just chew through it definitely isn't on the same level of tightness or design. I'd say it's still very fun, a little bit of QoL stupidity aside with maps and Metroidvania stuff and worth a go.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

believe it or not you might get some mileage out of the batman arkham games or the lord of the rings shadows of mordor (only played the first one don't know about the second). the "stealth around an area picking off targets, and then get in a brawl with a rhythm of attack and block, and you have a bunch of gadgets/moves to get you out of trouble" actually ends up being surprisingly similar.

way, way less difficult though, because you any time you feel overwhelmed you can essentially give yourself infinite iframes by repeatedly vaulting over enemies until you decide what you want to do.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

It's interesting to think about for me, that I really loved nuXCOM but I've bounced off almost every other one that has been made, at least the more direct derivatives including XCOM 2. Sometimes I wonder if I just wasn't that into the whole thing in the first place or what. My gaming preferences have definitely undergone a wild shift in the last year or so but that one keeps puzzling me.

Bizarrely enough I've fallen most in love with the original X-COM, but modded with X-Piratez or X-COM Files. The original game got something right that's been very satisfying for me, and hasn't been replicated since. I have hopes for Xenonauts 2 though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Xaris posted:

I played nu Star Wars and honestly, it's less than the sum of it's parts.

Orv posted:

Fallen Order is a very low-rent Sekiro. Parrying has the same importance but the whole game is very safe in terms of expectations. It's the ultimate feel good popcorn game and while Sekiro experience of your level means you're gonna just chew through it definitely isn't on the same level of tightness or design. I'd say it's still very fun, a little bit of QoL stupidity aside with maps and Metroidvania stuff and worth a go.
I'll second that. It's not a bad game by any means and you can see the pedigree quite easily. If you just want to play a Star Wars flavoured Sekiro-like, you could do worse. All that being said, though, it's a deeply uncreative game that takes no risks and introduces absolutely nothing new or really noteworthy of its own.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

enjoyed most of the game’s voice work myself, but her voice was distractingly terrible to an extreme degree & I hope the devs end up getting to add the spanish voices they talked about just for an opportunity to fix her.

if she hadn't been trying so hard then it would have been way more bearable - just talk in a deathly laconic mumble like 90% of soulsborne characters, crank up the reverb, and voila

instead i got my teeth kicked in half a dozen times by the catholic-guilt incarnation of Karen, Who Complains to the Manager

Orv
May 4, 2011
All you need to know about Fallen Order.

https://twitter.com/Nohryl/status/1200849678876790784

(I still recommend it though.)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Daemon X Machina (the Switch mecha game released last fall) is coming to PC next week.

Orv posted:

All you need to know about Fallen Order.

https://twitter.com/Nohryl/status/1200849678876790784

(I still recommend it though.)

I'll play it when it's in the $5/month tier of Origin Access, which should be around June or so. looking forward, though

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Fallen Order felt weird to me because I'm seeing my friend Cameron straight up magically put into a game instead of just a video game man that he voices.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, didn't see that one coming. Is it actually any good? Been wanting an Armored Core on PC for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I got this mixed up with Astral Chain and was really hyped for a moment. How is DxM?