Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

TinTower posted:

Donnie did another geography fuckup.

Why did they gently caress up the corner like that? not go all the way and have nice 90 degree angles on all corners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Dropped it during shipping.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fader Movitz posted:

Why did they gently caress up the corner like that? not go all the way and have nice 90 degree angles on all corners?

That bit of land was "bought" by the federal government from Native Americans and given to Missouri before Kansas was even organized as a territory as part of the Platte Purchase. So to make Kansas's border perfectly square, they would have had to take the land away from Missouri, which was already a state, and that's a no-go.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 3, 2020

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

TinTower posted:

Donnie did another geography fuckup.

I had a flight sim on my C64 and the map was like this

so I have a lot of hours flying over a flat terrain where the mountains are pyramids and the most interesting geographical accident is "Devil Tower"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I enjoy Two Great States! The country whose name is a marketing campaign. I also like the impenetrable no-man's-land that is East Tennessee.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I enjoy Two Great States! The country whose name is a marketing campaign. I also like the impenetrable no-man's-land that is East Tennessee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLlsjEP7L-k

feller
Jul 5, 2006

oh of course!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Tei posted:

so I have a lot of hours flying over a flat terrain where the mountains are pyramids and the most interesting geographical accident is "Devil Tower"

Why would a flight sim map have the lines angled like that, like you're looking from a fixed point above a globe? I don't like this at all.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tei posted:

This explains everything about your Posting Persona

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Tei posted:

I remember the opposite experience as a lil kid learning about geography outside of the US-

"why can't Europe do nice straight lines and boxes for their territories"

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Peanut Butler posted:

I remember the opposite experience as a lil kid learning about geography outside of the US-

"why can't Europe do nice straight lines and boxes for their territories"

There’s nothing nice about straight lines, border gore 4 lyfe

AgentF
May 11, 2009

I mean if this is a map of Russian possessions they should colour in the rest of the USA.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

System Metternich posted:

There’s nothing nice about straight lines, border gore 4 lyfe

Being able to navigate a city intuitively because of a grid is fantastically good actually, and that’s why New York is still the greatest city in the world

And let’s be fair the romans beat that into you euro weirdos anyway, you just hosed it all up for a few hundred years. But you’re coming back to the grid god.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 4, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Being able to navigate a city intuitively because of a grid is fantastically good actually, and that’s why Rome is still the greatest empire in the world.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Rome was what proved that grids rule and « natural growth » mEans 99% of the city lives in an awful slum.

There’s a reason everyone made grids and not Romes

Rome, the city itself, was a godawful slumpit that swiftly failed to even be the titular capital of its namesake empire even as its grid cities became capitals

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 4, 2020

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rome was what proved that grids rule and « natural growth » mEans 99% of the city lives in an awful slum.

There’s a reason everyone made grids and not Romes

Rome, the city itself, was a godawful slumpit that swiftly failed to even be the titular capital of its namesake empire even as its grid cities became capitals

Until they decided everything should be built for cars and now the wonky street layouts are superior again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
loving suburbs with windy as gently caress roads is just awful. I know the reason for them is to make sure cars go slower, but I'm sure there's other dumb reasons for it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
To make walking, cycling, or public transport inconvenient.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Who drives in a city?

There's too much traffic

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

FreudianSlippers posted:

Who drives in a city?

There's too much traffic

Clearly, nobody drives there, which is why there is... so much traffic.

:thejoke:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

Who drives in a city?

There's too much traffic

Independent contractors (and apparently everyone in LA?)

Fun fact: my home town is laid out on a grid except for successions of HENRY neighbourhoods that spiral outwards from downtown and, while now being inhabited by normal people, gently caress the grid hard. White people need their cul de sacs like they need water apparently.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Independent contractors (and apparently everyone in LA?)

Fun fact: my home town is laid out on a grid except for successions of HENRY neighbourhoods that spiral outwards from downtown and, while now being inhabited by normal people, gently caress the grid hard. White people need their cul de sacs like they need water apparently.

The city I'm in is the opposite. The downtown and all the early 20th century inner streetcar suburbs have been painfully gentrified and the normal people are getting pushed out to the outer suburbs. However, all the people who've moved here think they're still in the suburbs and are heavily against building inside the city and hate adding new transit.

So, white people can love grids, but it comes at the cost of them becoming massive NIMBYs and hating bike lanes for some reason.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
grid != gridiron, the opposite of grid-like is 'dendritic'

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Organic, here too, means better

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Weembles posted:

The city I'm in is the opposite. The downtown and all the early 20th century inner streetcar suburbs have been painfully gentrified and the normal people are getting pushed out to the outer suburbs. However, all the people who've moved here think they're still in the suburbs and are heavily against building inside the city and hate adding new transit.

So, white people can love grids, but it comes at the cost of them becoming massive NIMBYs and hating bike lanes for some reason.

When I say hometown I do mean town, not city. It’s a shithole but king dick rancher has to have a bigger house with a better view of his hobby ranch than king dick hotel owner, and then an oil heir moves in next door and buys ten horses, and he’s gotta have somewhere to put them, and so on. Yeehaw.

Ras Het posted:

Organic, here too, means better

No not really.

It successfully fucks with tourists and immigrants and drives up property values

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 4, 2020

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I don't think grid is all that helpfull-

What a city need is one or two landmarks of reference like a huge building or statue or mountain of trash on fire - So anywhere you are in the city you can use that landmark to know where you are and where to go

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Il est 5 heures

Paris s’éveille

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Anything that makes life worse for tourists is good.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the gridiron of manhattan is punctured in enough places into a looser grid or slashed with idiosyncratic features that really we can only attribute this as new yorkers once again celebrating the more generic and inhuman aspects of the city as a virtue

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

luxury handset posted:

the gridiron of manhattan is punctured in enough places into a looser grid or slashed with idiosyncratic features that really we can only attribute this as new yorkers once again celebrating the more generic and inhuman aspects of the city as a virtue

New Yorkers don't live in Manhattan anymore

Good take on the city though, that's what everyone is trying for. eeeeey, im postin here

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 4, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that Paris was redesigned to have a more open and navigable layout to counteract the way that previously the city's crowded and confusing layout made it possible for rebel groups could just blockade themselves up. Where I live roads are all snaky with weird bends and curves so that you can't be sure which direction you're pointed and going straight might mean taking a different road and if you miss a turn, there might not be another one for ten minutes. Getting anywhere without knowing the exact roads beforehand is asking for trouble and if the road you're on is blocked up to hell, odds may be that there isn't another one to switch to.

If cities are meant to be hubs of commerce, culture, business, and industry, then all the bits should be accessible from all the other bits or from outside. Suburbs are the places meant to be deliberately hard to navigate and inaccessible to isolate people from the outside world, and they're awful because of it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Champs-Elysées: because the last few monarchs got barricaded and I'm not going to end up like

also Champs-Elysées: oh god what are all these communists and germans doing in my capital

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know that Paris was redesigned to have a more open and navigable layout to counteract the way that previously the city's crowded and confusing layout made it possible for rebel groups could just blockade themselves up.

this is a relic of an argument based in 19th century communist polemics, the redevelopment of paris was more about solving the problems of too many poor people through brute urban renewal projects as well as overhauling much of the transportation/sanitation infrastructure. also a good amount of second empire pomp and theatrics as power projection. haussmann didn't just change the street layout, he changed the entire city, and folks never figured out how to tie new public parks or sewer lines to similarly oppressive forms of military control

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
not to mention that the brand new boulevards were barricaded at the tail end of the 1871 paris commune, so

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My favorite part about the Roman grid is that it isn't plural. They literally had one pan and then just went with it everywhere, at least everywhere that didn't have a good thing going already. When traveling in the middle East with my history teacher mom, this meant that she could find all the interesting stuff in modern city centres pretty much without looking at a map, because the Romans put it there and everyone else just expanded on it.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vision for Piss