Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was probably made using a- you know what, that's too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

kidcoelacanth posted:

I thought it was horrifying!

Those little ears that are actually noses are what did it for me. It's revolting in the best way.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It was probably made using an adorable baby.

It was probably made using a horrifying baby.

Judging by how large the spine is it was probably a child!
Those are probably his shoes!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm surprised none of Horikoshi's assistants or editors or whoever caught the name and told him "hey, maybe this isn't such a great idea."

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

They're nice shoes though.

Mulderman posted:

It´s kind of a dumb name to use.

Like he knows they are searching for him. He's extremely careful. Why would you use an obvious name like that?
Surely they will never find me and discover my horrible inhuman experiments if I use an alias referring to horrible inhuman experiments!
To be fair, the word doesn't just mean that. It usually means log, I first read it while playing Zelda BOTW in Japanese. I'm not naive enough to say there's NO chance that Horikoshi didn't know its history with regards to war crimes, but given how Japan tends to gloss over its specific history in favor of general "war is bad" education (at least as far as I saw in middle schools) it is not an impossibility that he was just ignorant.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What are they changing it to? Murada, to make sure it's a full anagram of Daruma?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Junpei posted:

What are they changing it to? Murada, to make sure it's a full anagram of Daruma?

Anagrams in Japanese work differntly and altering the order of the hiragana or Kanji can alter pronunciation in a way that an anagram in english wouldn't.

My question: Is there a specific Kanji/character combo that equates to the war crime Maruta? As someone else said it's a normal word as well and I was wondering if they just used the standard word, or specifically used the version that refers to unit 731? If there is a difference.

EDIT: Checked it myself: There isn't a special spelling.

From Wikipedia: "A special project code-named Maruta used human beings for experiments. Test subjects were gathered from the surrounding population and were sometimes referred to euphemistically as "logs" (丸太, maruta)"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Junpei posted:

Dr. Eggman

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder what the deal is with Sneakers Nomu.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

His deal is that he's a very good boy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I wonder what the deal is with Sneakers Nomu.

We've seen him before at the start of My Villain Academia! His name is Johnny and he has a warp quirk (similar to, if not the same one as, the one that All for One used at Kamino).

If he uses it too much he gets tonsillitis, which is an adorably silly drawback.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

John didn't have the nose-ears I think.

I don't think Daruma is going to go down easily. He's panicking right now at the sight of Endeavor but there's still the 12 (11 now? One of them was Hood which Endeavor killed.) High-End Nomus in the capsules below the morgue.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
If Maruta is willing to go full Umbrella Corp. Which he might when scared shitless.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

John didn't have the nose-ears I think.

Maybe the doctor gives sweet shoes to all of his child nomu experiments? Just like Deku :tinfoil:

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think Daruma is going to go down easily. He's panicking right now at the sight of Endeavor but there's still the 12 (11 now? One of them was Hood which Endeavor killed.) High-End Nomus in the capsules below the morgue.

Plus however many of the lower end grey nomu he has laying around. Thing is, even if he unleashes them and gets away, his cover has been blown and he's probably going to lose all those hospitals and orphanages he has around the country.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah it appears that the Doctor got utterly caught off guard here.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

rename him to Naruto

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Rename him 丸出 (maruda) as a play on 丸出し - "not disguised" since it's his real name.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

tweet my meat posted:

I know the discussion topic is kinda serious right now, but I just wanna say that the little nomu in his little shoes is very adorable.

Hit up all the plushie makers you know and get it trending on Twitter so people will make merch of it for the fans to buy en masse

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Call him Wesker

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Name him Marugamu as a reference to Amalgam.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Name him "Dr. Scumass" because I'm 12 and that makes me chuckle, imo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Exercu posted:

Rename him 丸出 (maruda) as a play on 丸出し - "not disguised" since it's his real name.
See, this is Horikoshi's style of naming pun.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Call him Dr. Hojo.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There are plenty of other ways to rearrange those three syllables.

Damaru.
Maruda.
Madaru.
Rudama.
Rumada.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Miruko’s bootrest

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Name him Koshihori

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Herlock Sholmes

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Steve

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The series basically just got banned in China. Welp.

This has happened before though so it's not as huge as people are making it out to be.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The series basically just got banned in China. Welp.

This has happened before though so it's not as huge as people are making it out to be.

I can’t believe it’s a Tuesday

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Winnie the Pooh.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

I'd have thought they'd have banned it at the vs Class 1-B battles.

Either because of Emily or Deku talking to the previous holders due to that thing they have about not allowing ghosts.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheKirbs posted:

I'd have thought they'd have banned it at the vs Class 1-B battles.

Either because of Emily or Deku talking to the previous holders due to that thing they have about not allowing ghosts.

They aren't ghosts.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
China bans ghosts???

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Saying "China bans ghosts" is implying there's far more consistency to Chinese film censorship than there actually is. It's a complete toss up to what makes it or doesn't.

Mad Max Fury Road was banned from theaters, and then approved for direct-to-video. Homosexuality is edited from movies yet there's a booming genre of boys love light novels. Rise of Skywalker got to keep its lesbian kiss. Hacksaw Ridge had thirty seconds of violence cut out and there is way more than thirty second of people getting merked in that movie.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 5, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I knew they banned skeletons but I haven't heard anything about ghosts.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RatHat posted:

There is a blanket ban (though, again, not at all consistent) against anything that promotes a "feudalistic ideology" which can be stretched to mean ghosts, yeah.

Honestly it's hard to sift out why things get banned or edited in China while others don't because they're not obligated to give a reason and Western reporting will sometimes jump to conclusions or make poo poo up (Crimson Peak was banned because ghosts!! Oh wait it turns out it was the incest)

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 5, 2020

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

it's basically not true but is used as a lever to control what gets in so us companies tend to scrub for it so they can't use it as a justification

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The ghosts and skeletons are a thing the Chinese government effectively uses as a weapon to censor western products entering their nation. It’s not actually necessarily a real reason, it’s just the one they use to exert power and influence over foreign companies attempting to enter their markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Lord_Magmar posted:

The ghosts and skeletons are a thing the Chinese government effectively uses as a weapon to censor western products entering their nation. It’s not actually necessarily a real reason, it’s just the one they use to exert power and influence over foreign companies attempting to enter their markets.

Eeeh. I know of a novel that got the blacklist in China because of the ghosts in it. There's a real drive by the government to not have the Chinese people be seen as backward superstitious hicks, so implying that such and such a superstitious belief is real will get your art the axe--if the wrong censor makes the call. It's all very subjective.