Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waltzing Along posted:

Would someone tell me about the Hitman games? Is there a story to follow or can you just jump in anywhere? Is the new one worth $15? I saw a vid that showed off a single level and it look interesting but I don't know if that would be enough for a full game.

The story is you are superclone John Hitman and you're going to kill people in as stupid a manner as you possibly can

The new ones are great, def pick them up. I think the Paris level is still free to try out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Waltzing Along posted:

Would someone tell me about the Hitman games? Is there a story to follow or can you just jump in anywhere? Is the new one worth $15? I saw a vid that showed off a single level and it look interesting but I don't know if that would be enough for a full game.

I think it's very much worth $15. There's tons of ways to deal with your assassinations on each level and there is a story for the first time you go through each level.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Waltzing Along posted:

Hitman 2016 / Hitman 2(018) has a reboot and a story, though the story is more loosely an excuse to go to these exotic places and kill people. The levels are HUGE - most of the fun comes from not just completing a level once, but finding different ways to complete the level. The new one is definitely worth $15.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waltzing Along posted:

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

They're real good if you like loving about in really dense and well structured levels.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cool. I think I will pick it up. Does that mean pass on the first one? Is the 2016 a remake? I see there are a bunch of other games in the series.

Whoa, didn't realize it had been around since 2000.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You can get all the levels from the 2016 one as DLC and it goes on sale pretty often.

Technically you should play 2016 first but it doesn't really matter. Just get it as DLC if you really like Hitman 2 and want more levels.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There's HITMAN from 2016 and HITMAN 2 from like last year or whenever the gently caress. Those are the good ones and you should play both!

Edit: or yeah do that ^^

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

stev posted:

You can get all the levels from the 2016 one as DLC and it goes on sale pretty often.

Technically you should play 2016 first but it doesn't really matter. Just get it as DLC if you really like Hitman 2 and want more levels.

Seriously? You can buy the new one, and get all the content from the earlier one as DLC?

That's a great and novel idea. I'm not used to such consumer friendly practices.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
So, Hitman (2016) is a reboot of the franchise and Hitman 2 from 2018 is a continuation of the reboot. Part of the work they did in Hitman 2 was to make all the levels from Hitman (2016) work with the updates in Hitman 2, and were added as DLC. They're 100% worth picking up too, because I think the levels are better.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

I’m not used to such consumer friendly practices.

Hmm, the way the first new Hitman game at least was packaged was pretty confusing, with like a thousand different editions that each offered different bits and pieces of it. Frankly it wasn’t very consumer-friendly at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waltzing Along posted:

Seriously? You can buy the new one, and get all the content from the earlier one as DLC?

That's a great and novel idea. I'm not used to such consumer friendly practices.

Yeah its pretty rad

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think part of it was also that Hitman 2016 was published by Square Enix, but they dropped the series and IO, and then they self-published the second one, and I dunno how the money works in those sales, but that could be a reason.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

Hmm, the way the first new Hitman game at least was packaged was pretty confusing, with like a thousand different editions that each offered different bits and pieces of it. Frankly it wasn’t very consumer-friendly at all.

Offering you the choice to buy the game a la carte was actually very pro consumer

Gamers freaking out over that business model was really weird and wrong.

I mean, hitman 2 still has confusing editions and seasons and it isn't super clear what contains what, that's still an issue.

What people hated on hitman for though was the release of pushing a map every so often and letting you buy them as you play them which was a good thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

This is true but the fact that you could just buy one level or play the free one and stop there if you didn't like it was pretty great.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Offering you the choice to buy the game a la carte was actually very pro consumer

Gamers freaking out over that business model was really weird and wrong.

I mean, hitman 2 still has confusing editions and seasons and it isn't super clear what contains what, that's still an issue.

What people hated on hitman for though was the release of pushing a map every so often and letting you buy them as you play them which was a good thing.

There is no one on this planet who wants to buy Hitman levels à la carte!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if you're getting it on ps4 and have ps+, you might already have hitman 1 and can just load everything into 2. in which case you should definitely start with the hitman 1 missions before playing 2, but otherwise it doesn't matter

Jay Rust posted:

maybe they could have done a better job at explaining it, but there were pretty much just 3 ways to buy it. either $60 for the whole thing released over the year or whatever, or buying the levels individually, or a year and a half later when the DLC campaign came out buying the pack that included the first season + patient zero

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i haven't wound up playing destiny 2 with my sister yet (i don't rule it out) but just on the impression that i might end up doing so i tried to educate myself on what content comes from where and gazing into that abyss is what i assume the color out of space movie is about

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

idk, if I was broke I'd be very happy just buying sapienza for however much that cost. that's A Lot Of Gaming

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In hindsight sure, but no gamer could possibly go “Let’s see, I’d like some Marrakech, Hokkaido and Patient Zero please” sight unseen

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

In hindsight sure, but no gamer could possibly go “Let’s see, I’d like some Marrakech, Hokkaido and Patient Zero please” sight unseen

Yeah but you could definitely go "Paris was really fun. I'll pay a fiver for Sapienza. OK I think I've had my fill now. Maybe I'll get the rest in the sales next year."

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

sharrrk posted:

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1224271645721759747

this just got posted. people were talking about a wonderful 101 switch port kickstarter being announced today but this seems like whatever it is would be more than that

I said this in Discord but I'm pretty sure they're making Super Mario Bros 4.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barry Convex posted:

Lost Order was almost certainly cancelled ages ago, since there's been no word on it for a few years. Bayonetta 3 and Babylon's Fall are already announced and not self-published, so I doubt this teaser is related to them, but I suppose it could just be referring to projects in general and not self-published titles

If they announce four new self published titles that would be bad news. Platinum already has a problem with taking on too many projects. They already have Bayonetta 3 and Bayblon's Fall in the pipeline, four more games on top of those would be way too much. I'd be real doubtful that all six would even be released, let alone be good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

stev posted:

Definitely go back and get the 2016 maps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DalyjFKBHvI

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

homeless snail posted:

if you're getting it on ps4 and have ps+, you might already have hitman 1 and can just load everything into 2. in which case you should definitely start with the hitman 1 missions before playing 2, but otherwise it doesn't matter

maybe they could have done a better job at explaining it, but there were pretty much just 3 ways to buy it. either $60 for the whole thing released over the year or whatever, or buying the levels individually, or a year and a half later when the DLC campaign came out buying the pack that included the first season + patient zero

Took a bit but yeah, I have Hitman already. I guess I'll try that. Does that mean that if I buy H2 I will already have access to the DLC content or do I have to purchase it separately? I mean the H1 maps.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's gonna be NieR 4KHD Remaster

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Imagine Nier Replicant getting the FF7 Remake treatment

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Did anyone ever say "Nier Whatta-Tomata"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There was a thing with the hitman editions where since I was buying each episode individually there was a bonus map I never got to play since it was only available as part of the season pass

which fine w/e but then when Hitman 2 came out, you needed to have that bonus episode to be eligible for the Hitman 2016 legacy pack and the only way to get it was through the 2016 goty edition (£30) I don't know if they ever did anything about it but I guess Hitman 2016 was on PS+ a couple months later so you could just get the legacy stuff that way

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Waltzing Along posted:

Took a bit but yeah, I have Hitman already. I guess I'll try that. Does that mean that if I buy H2 I will already have access to the DLC content or do I have to purchase it separately? I mean the H1 maps.

Yes, you just have to redeem it in-game I think. Fyi the install size for the H1+ H2 maps is like 160 gigs lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

...well now I have to lie down

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

precision posted:

...well now I have to lie down

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finally got Sayonara Wild Hearts, it fuckin slaps and now I can't stop listening to the album

I need more weird story-driven music games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I forget exactly how it works, I think you need to install hitman 1 and click a button to get them as dlc for hitman 2. you should probably just do that anyway because they run a little bit better in the hitman 2 engine and then you can use the hitman 1 unlocks in the 2 levels. you can do that with the free demo of hitman 2, even

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Finally got Sayonara Wild Hearts, it fuckin slaps and now I can't stop listening to the album

I need more weird story-driven music games.

Oh god I loved this- not so much a rhythm game as much as a like arcade game that follows the music and I love it

if anyone can recommend anything like this please hook me up to an IV containing said theoretical game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

stev posted:

Yeah but you could definitely go "Paris was really fun. I'll pay a fiver for Sapienza. OK I think I've had my fill now. Maybe I'll get the rest in the sales next year."

EXACTLY. What Stev said.

Being able to buy like $20 of Hitman and then realizing you don't have the free time to play the rest of the game is cool and good. Having to buy a $60 box to play the first level is actually a lame business model and benefits the publishers selling games that aren't as good as they seem.

Waltzing Along posted:

You gotta do a thing but you shouldn't have to purchase them again. I owned H1 and the H1 maps just showed up in H2 for me automatically.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Looking forward to Platinum's take on Pikmin 4

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Hwurmp posted:

Did anyone ever say "Nier Whatta-Tomata"

No, would you like to?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

someone said near a tomato, that's pretty good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nier Onomonopoeia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU