Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Where they the regular boxes or did they have the test cards in them? What other Boxes sold for 100 Euro over there? Im still worried they are going to be priced at Masters box prices in the US.

Drafts at GPs will have playtest cards, it's only the retail release that doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Arivia posted:

Dammit I should have gone with my first guess. I couldn’t remember if the red choice cards were all block long or just Judgment and second guessed myself.

honestly I didn't remember that punisher Flash Counter existed, it just seemed like a punisher counter would be a thing that would definitely be in Odyssey block so I looked it up

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Paul Zuvella posted:

Where they the regular boxes or did they have the test cards in them? What other Boxes sold for 100 Euro over there? Im still worried they are going to be priced at Masters box prices in the US.

To be clear, these were the drafts with the Convention Edition (i.e. playtest cards), priced at 25€/draft. They pre-ripped the boosters so that people wouldn't sign up just to drop and sell them sealed. I won a few sealed Convention Edition boosters (you got 3 for winning the pod and 1 for losing the final) and sold them for 15€/each to my friends; vendors offered the same price in cash. The average price for a Standard booster box in Europe is 90-110€ at the LGS, 80-90€ if you buy from another player.

The 100€ boxes (the ones the vendors can order for 60€ from their distributors) I referred to were the "regular" edition, with the foil instead of a playtest card. Those will be released at the end of March, but you can already pre-order them on MCM and other websites in Europe for the same price as a Standard booster box. Considering the insane amount of (current) value in the set, expect all of these cards to drop quite a lot.

I think if American LGSs go ahead and try to sell them at premium price, they will just get demolished by amazon and other online retailers.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Katana Gomai posted:

The 100€ boxes (the ones the vendors can order for 60€ from their distributors) I referred to were the "regular" edition, with the foil instead of a playtest card. Those will be released at the end of March, but you can already pre-order them on MCM and other websites in Europe for the same price as a Standard booster box. Considering the insane amount of (current) value in the set, expect all of these cards to drop quite a lot.

I think if American LGSs go ahead and try to sell them at premium price, they will just get demolished by amazon and other online retailers.

Preorder prices are irrelevant until they post the list of foils. Most LGSs' "premium price" is the online price for boosters.

Fun fact about Convention Edition: They have to open up a bunch of boxes and mix them together before drafts, because all the playtest cards are the same color inside of one box.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Brownhat posted:

Preorder prices are irrelevant until they post the list of foils. Most LGSs' "premium price" is the online price for boosters.

Well if I can buy the set by the case for literally the same price as a case of Theros right now I don't think it's irrelevant. Unlike what I hear from the US, the vendors on MCM actually honor their presales.

Brownhat posted:

Fun fact about Convention Edition: They have to open up a bunch of boxes and mix them together before drafts, because all the playtest cards are the same color inside of one box.

Interesting. There's definitely something wonky with the colation; in my first draft, the first booster me and the person to my right opened were almost identical; we had different playtest cards but about ten cards in these two boosters were exactly the same. They also told us to count the cards since sometimes there apparently are 14 or 16 cards in the booster instead of 15.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 3, 2020

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I love the mystery boosters but the card stock used for them are some of the worst magic card stock I have ever felt. They feel like fake cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mark Rosewater, on Oubliette posted:

I am happy to say we found a way to template it so it can fit on a card (that's the real reason we haven't done it for so long), and it is planned to be reprinted in an upcoming product.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/more-odds-and-ends-theros-beyond-death-2020-02-03

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it's not in a standard set, but is being reprinted, so basically it is a guaranteed inclusion in a commander deck if i'm reading this right

edit: or a secret lair set, lawl

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elyv posted:

honestly I didn't remember that punisher Flash Counter existed, it just seemed like a punisher counter would be a thing that would definitely be in Odyssey block so I looked it up

I love how we all have half-remembered vague ideas of "there was a lovely red counterspell in this one block? maybe?!?"

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

evilweasel posted:

it's not in a standard set, but is being reprinted, so basically it is a guaranteed inclusion in a commander deck if i'm reading this right

premium-only random insert in a limited-run special summer masterpiece set

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Or the Commander Masters thing that's coming out this year.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

evilweasel posted:

or a masters set

or the weirddraft set (Conspiracy, Battlebond)

or a signature series product

I don't think they'll want pauper players buying Commander decks just to pick out the Oubliettes and toss the rest, same reason they stopped putting good Legacy cards (TNN, scooze, Containment Priest, etc)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, there's like 10 different EDH products coming out this year and they are all pretty much guaranteed to suck because the dudes designing them keep telling us how great the last one was and it flopped hard as gently caress. (They also tell us they can't make the decks not 1000% dogshit because that wouldn't be interesting or something.)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

or a masters set

or the weirddraft set (Conspiracy, Battlebond)

or a signature series product

I don't think they'll want pauper players buying Commander decks just to pick out the Oubliettes and toss the rest, same reason they stopped putting good Legacy cards (TNN, scooze, Containment Priest, etc)

they said they're not doing any masters sets anymore as a stupid response to doing three masters sets in three quarters (one of which was great and two of which were not) instead of just not making a billion in one year, the weirddraft set slot i think is taken up by either that commander draft thing they've discussed that i forgot about (that would make some sense but is still doing it with a commander product) or maro's latest un-set thingie.

signature series product would be even dumber but makes sense

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr4qr3?new_post=true

Thought on this? Obviously the first guy is a dickhead, but I’m not sure where I fall on the dice roll stuff. I would be kind of pissed and assume my opponent is trying to pull one over on me if I rolled well and they tried to get me to reroll, especially if they started crying and refused to play after. But also Tania had a lovely weekend and had a bunch of reasons to be suspicious of her opponents so idk.

I wish competitive REL had codified rules for determining who goes first the same way they dictate how you have to keep track of life/mana pool with a pen and paper. I prefer odds/evens to high roll and I hate having to explain to brainlets that it actually works out to a 50/50.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

im trying to even think of what the dude was trying to pull in that first story.

just play rock paper scissors, gently caress dice

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

fadam posted:

Thought on this? Obviously the first guy is a dickhead, but I’m not sure where I fall on the dice roll stuff. I would be kind of pissed and assume my opponent is trying to pull one over on me if I rolled well and they tried to get me to reroll, especially if they started crying and refused to play after. But also Tania had a lovely weekend and had a bunch of reasons to be suspicious of her opponents so idk.

I wish competitive REL had codified rules for determining who goes first the same way they dictate how you have to keep track of life/mana pool with a pen and paper. I prefer odds/evens to high roll and I hate having to explain to brainlets that it actually works out to a 50/50.

High roll sucks, high roll can tie, and if you use a spindown rather than a regulation d20 or standard d6, can be abused with some level of practice, as all the high numbers are clustered on one end. You can't guarantee a 16-20, but you can all but guarantee you aren't getting lower than a 9.

I strongly agree there should be regulation on approved methods to select who goes first.
It should be reasonable broad, though i'd understand if my Un-cards Rock/Paper/Scissors game got disallowed even though you can't tie with it, but it should definitely exclude anything that can tie.

On the direct topic, I get how lovely Tania must have been feeling, I've seen people get pretty tilted, especially if there's a case for it being due to some taking advantage or a marginalised person. (through gender, race, or anything else)

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Just re-roll the dice. Who cares? It takes two seconds. Why would you bother to appeal that, of all things

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

im trying to even think of what the dude was trying to pull in that first story.

Reprint rock lobster and his friends in the next unset imo.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

Just re-roll the dice. Who cares? It takes two seconds. Why would you bother to appeal that, of all things

It’s a tournament and you rolled above average and your opponent wants you to reroll for a reason that implies you’re a cheater. I wouldn’t reroll either.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

rock paper scissors has some interesting psychology behind it that makes playing it with someone else not completely random

people tend to throw rock as their first move, and tend to throw whatever would beat their last move (i think, or their opponents - not sure which) and heavily dislike repeating themselves

so if someone was eager to do rock paper scissors i'd probably demand to flip a coin instead :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

fadam posted:

The first guy is a turbo dickhead and the 2nd guy just kind of fell into a terrible situation, but seriously if you're rolling dice at least cup your hands and shake a bit if you aren't going to flip a coin.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Why don't tournaments determine who gets to pick when they're deciding on matchups? If I went to a chess tournament I wouldn't expect to bring a die to figure out if I'm going to play Black or White.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

nrook posted:

Why don't tournaments determine who gets to pick when they're deciding on matchups? If I went to a chess tournament I wouldn't expect to bring a die to figure out if I'm going to play Black or White.

Excellent question, actually.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

I doubt there’s anything fishy going on, I am sure they are a well-intentioned person and they just rolled dice a little too close to the table on pure accident.
This seems pretty sketchy to me, if her opponent wasn't doing it deliberately than he wasn't gaining any advantage. It's different to the first rear end in a top hat who would've gained a bunch of advantages through "mistakes".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

It’s a tournament and you rolled above average and your opponent wants you to reroll for a reason that implies you’re a cheater. I wouldn’t reroll either.

I think its fair the person who rolled the dice if they aren't trying to cheat. Your opponent might suspect it, reasonable or unreasonable, and appealing a ruling is there for a reason.

Its also one of those kind of things that won't ever have a completely fair ruling either way.

nrook posted:

Who goes first should totally be determined by WER.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

fadam posted:

She chose a really strange hill to die on. If I were her opponent I’d have appealed the ruling too and would have been pretty indignant about her accusation. I know she just chose a bad spot to push back after feeling like she’d be taken advantage of previously and was embarrassed about it after the fact but it sounds like she just isn’t really in a good place emotionally to be playing competitively. People can be huge dicks in competitive play and I’m sure it’s even worse if you’re a lady.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I mean that attitude would just probably result in fewer women participating because they often get treated poorly and aren't "in a good place emotionally to be playing competitively".

That first guy does sound like a douche.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

nrook posted:

Yup.

Said it before, in tournaments there's zero reason not to have play/draw (or, more accurately, the choice thereof) assigned by the matchmaking software, as is done in chess.

As a bonus, this lets you make each player's distribution of play/draw closer to 50-50 over the course of an event.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

nrook posted:

This is an incredibly elegant solution and should be implemented, but oh man imagine the rampant paranoia if they just added an RNG to the matching software and just displayed the pairings with a star next to whoever won the roll. "Wow of course they gave it to a girl/pro/judge's friend/a fellow mormon/whatever, and I'm blacklisted in the RNG for just being a regular grinder." People tracking the number of times the software gave them first player over their whole career and coming up with a conspiracy corkboard like the haunted detective trying to unravel the convoluted case.

I feel bad for the OP, but yeah putting myself in the shoes of the high roller it's easy to imagine the person on the other side of the table is angle shooting hoping you'll roll closer to median. I felt that "I just want my opponents to be kind and treat me with respect" in my gut. It's a children's card game with colorful illustrations and yet people get so aggro about it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The first guy responded to almost every supportive post in her original Twitter thread with "gently caress you" and "guess I'm cancelled, boys" so I'm sure he's going to be an r/freemagic martyr very soon.

Owlbear Camus posted:

This is an incredibly elegant solution and should be implemented, but oh man imagine the rampant paranoia if they just added an RNG to the matching software and just displayed the pairings with a star next to whoever won the roll. "Wow of course they gave it to a girl/pro/judge's friend/a fellow mormon/whatever, and I'm blacklisted in the RNG for just being a regular grinder." People tracking the number of times the software gave them first player over their whole career and coming up with a conspiracy corkboard like the haunted detective trying to unravel the convoluted case.

I feel bad for the OP, but yeah putting myself in the shoes of the high roller it's easy to imagine the person on the other side of the table is angle shooting hoping you'll roll closer to median. I felt that "I just want my opponents to be kind and treat me with respect" in my gut. It's a children's card game with colorful illustrations and yet people get so aggro about it.

As someone who pushes the "random player" button in WER many times to decide who to give FNM promos to, I can tell you absolutely the program has a problem with randomization. It's nowhere near normal.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 3, 2020

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Idk the system already randomly pairs people up for Swiss and I’ve yet to hear anyone get paranoid about it favouring certain matchups or whatever. I think more people would be happy with it than would be concerned about it screwing them over.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Owlbear Camus posted:

there are overcomplicated ways you could deal with this in a verifiably fair way but it would be immense overkill

but if people actually whined up a storm you could implement it

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

fadam posted:

Idk the system already randomly pairs people up for Swiss and I’ve yet to hear anyone get paranoid about it favouring certain matchups or whatever. I think more people would be happy with it than would be concerned about it screwing them over.

I guess I'm extrapolating from the :tinfoil: about the "shuffler" in online implementations of the game combined with removing an element of "control" from the randomization process. But we don't disagree that it would be a better, cleaner way of doing it and worth listening to the few weirdos spin elaborate persecution theories about digital dice.

The best way to do it would probably be whoever has the highest sperm count is first player.

evilweasel posted:

there are overcomplicated ways you could deal with this in a verifiably fair way but it would be immense overkill

but if people actually whined up a storm you could implement it

*in a very "guy you are sure has exhaustive knowledge of regional age of consent laws" voice*

sounds like a good use case for The Blockchain

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Also the sperm count hole isn’t very funny or offensive but if you posted it on Twitter Ryan Overturf would try to cut your head off with a samurai sword.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 3, 2020

510rems
Mar 26, 2010

LeafHouse posted:

She chose a really strange hill to die on. If I were her opponent I’d have appealed the ruling too and would have been pretty indignant about her accusation. I know she just chose a bad spot to push back after feeling like she’d be taken advantage of previously and was embarrassed about it after the fact but it sounds like she just isn’t really in a good place emotionally to be playing competitively. People can be huge dicks in competitive play and I’m sure it’s even worse if you’re a lady.

"maybe she shouldn't be playing competitively if she isn't in a good place emotionally", maybe men shouldn't be living ghouls that make the game miserable to play for women.

Owlbear Camus posted:

removed from all context, it's just as likely he could be angle shooting in this situation as she is, so a judge call to just resolve the issue outright is completely the right call and normal. the fact that she has to feel afraid to and feel much worse about doing so than a man in the same situation is just another failure of wizards and the nightmare people that play this game.

510rems fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 3, 2020

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

LifeLynx posted:

The first guy responded to almost every supportive post in her original Twitter thread with "gently caress you" and "guess I'm cancelled, boys" so I'm sure he's going to be an r/freemagic martyr very soon.
Did he go back and delete it?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

odiv posted:

I mean that attitude would just probably result in fewer women participating because they often get treated poorly and aren't "in a good place emotionally to be playing competitively".

I mean the ideal solution would be to only have friendly and honest players in tournaments but I doubt that will ever happen. Personally I do not play games I don’t enjoy so if I were her I’d either stick to my guns and keep pushing back at people or just play more casual events.

I used to play MOBAs pretty often until I realized I only had fun 50% of the time at most so now I either just play with a few friends who want to goof around or I choose a different game. It sucks that some communities are so toxic they ruin the experience but it is what it is.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hasbro already owns the Trouble board game with the pop-o-matic bubble, time for a mtg "roll for initiative" branded version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

odiv posted:

I empathize with that woman because right or wrong, she will likely never get as fair a shake at magic as a dude and that sucks.