Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Thanks to whoever's recommended these hobbyzone things, got a cool new baby battle station set up. Lots of room for more paints!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Skyl3lazer posted:

Thanks to whoever's recommended these hobbyzone things, got a cool new baby battle station set up. Lots of room for more paints!

Nice!

I want to upgrade a bunch of my space with a bunch of their stuff, but my ideal setup would be north of $1k.... *gulp*.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Today is exactly 1 year since I painted my first miniature. :3: I know my post about it is somewhere around here on this subforum but I can't find it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The paint is so drat watery that it takes a lot of coats to try and cover something. Maybe that's just how it needs to be though?

yes, this is exactly how it should work. multiple thin coats will look way better than one thick one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

So i was working on my first ever figure paint job over the weekend, well, ship, not figure, and my x-wing miniature paint turned out pretty good for a newbie. I used citadel airbrush paints with my hand brushes, this per the local store's recommendation as the paint was pre-thinned. The paint actually felt REALLY thin to me though, so much so that I wonder if using the standard "dry" or "base" paints would be better. Can anyone give advice on this? The paint is so drat watery that it takes a lot of coats to try and cover something. Maybe that's just how it needs to be though?

You want the paint to be nearly transparent when you paint it on. If its a solid color in a single coat, its too thick.

I've never messed with airbrush paints for brushes, I wouldn't do that. Just water your paints yourself dude, tap water is cheap. And then you can control it so maybe it isn't quite as thinned down as those airbrush paints are.

But you absolutely want to use very thin coats and you should do 2+ coats of every color you paint. Else it'll be thick and obscure details and show brush strokes and just be bad.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

a few airbrush ready paints isn't bad especially for difficult colors or stuff you don't use often. i have a vma silver that goes on in one coat and it's nice to just splat a drop out and paint it on real quick

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

So i was working on my first ever figure paint job over the weekend, well, ship, not figure, and my x-wing miniature paint turned out pretty good for a newbie. I used citadel airbrush paints with my hand brushes, this per the local store's recommendation as the paint was pre-thinned. The paint actually felt REALLY thin to me though, so much so that I wonder if using the standard "dry" or "base" paints would be better. Can anyone give advice on this? The paint is so drat watery that it takes a lot of coats to try and cover something. Maybe that's just how it needs to be though?

I've only just started painting myself but I've been following WHTV's advice on thinning paints and its been working pretty well so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWgsqSf74s

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

How do I salvage this chaos giant's skin? I've been getting really good results using GW's Contrast paints to paint skin, so I used that for the giant. Turns out that what is a nice, darkish caucasian skin tone on a regular sized model somehow turns into an awful sunburn on a big one. I guess a big part of it is that it's too big, so Contrast gives a mottled look.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Some people do like the pre-thinned airbrush stuff for brush painting, but I also feel like it's too thin. It's really a case of trying a few different ways and figuring out what works for you.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Geisladisk posted:

How do I salvage this chaos giant's skin? I've been getting really good results using GW's Contrast paints to paint skin, so I used that for the giant. Turns out that what is a nice, darkish caucasian skin tone on a regular sized model somehow turns into an awful sunburn on a big one. I guess a big part of it is that it's too big, so Contrast gives a mottled look.

I kinda like it. Gives him a burnt/beaten/bruised look, like regular troops keep him caged and tortured until they can unleash him on the battlefield.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Thanks all. Some of the youtube videos I had watched showed paint going on a bit heavier, so that's why I wasn't sure. Regardless, my first paint jobs turned out pretty good!

Appreciate the advice!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nice!

I want to upgrade a bunch of my space with a bunch of their stuff, but my ideal setup would be north of $1k.... *gulp*.

I know a guy 3D printing stuff that would be cheaper ;)

(sorry I'm done spamming for now)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got a pot of Corax White today, and its very hardened, thick, and chunky. Is this normal? How am I suppose to work with this?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Geisladisk posted:

Put down a light brown basecoat before you contrast? Switch to more of a wash?

I said come in! posted:

I got a pot of Corax White today, and its very hardened, thick, and chunky. Is this normal? How am I suppose to work with this?

Unfortunately common with Corax White in my experience.

You have two options:

1. Add medium or distilled water and shake the gently caress out of it for like 15 minutes

2. Take it back to the store for a refund and hope the next one isn't the same

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Geisladisk posted:

How do I salvage this chaos giant's skin?

Thin your original skintone with matte medium, then brush it on over where you'd like highlights. Do that again after that's dry.

Mix your skintone with a bone color and medium,and do a third layer of highlights sparingly over the area you fixed.

It looks like the problem is contrasts reacting with the model's texture, but the above steps should set it right.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its going to be painful waiting for my compressor to come on Friday or Saturday.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I actually bought a few citadel airbrush paint pots by accident because I didn't look closely enough at the label and they work just fine for brushes. Basically just pre-thinned and totally usable straight out of the pot - it's almost exactly the consistency I thin to with regular paints but the dry time is a bit faster. Haven't had it behave weirdly or anything yet, and honestly I'm considering buying a few more on purpose because it's nice not to fiddle with getting the ratio of paint to medium just right every time I want to do touch-ups.

edit: With the probably major caveat that I pretty much exclusively paint infantry / medium-sized monster stuff because I don't have an airbrush and hate brush-painting vehicles, so this advice may not be applicable to that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I actually bought a few citadel airbrush paint pots by accident because I didn't look closely enough at the label and they work just fine for brushes. Basically just pre-thinned and totally usable straight out of the pot - it's almost exactly the consistency I thin to with regular paints but the dry time is a bit faster. Haven't had it behave weirdly or anything yet, and honestly I'm considering buying a few more on purpose because it's nice not to fiddle with getting the ratio of paint to medium just right every time I want to do touch-ups.

edit: With the probably major caveat that I pretty much exclusively paint infantry / medium-sized monster stuff because I don't have an airbrush and hate brush-painting vehicles, so this advice may not be applicable to that.

:thunk:

It's funny you bring this up because I was thinking of this very thing a few days ago. I thought though "there's no way these are usable out of the pot, that would be insane, right???" Yet here you are showing differently.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I said come in! posted:

:thunk:

It's funny you bring this up because I was thinking of this very thing a few days ago. I thought though "there's no way these are usable out of the pot, that would be insane, right???" Yet here you are showing differently.

Yeah, I've got nothing but good things to say about using them so far. The only thing I would caution is that if you're using a wet palette it might end up over-thinning them, but I honestly just use them right out of the pot or dab some onto a cheap plastic artist palette if I need to thin them even more for a glaze or something. They go on extremely smooth.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

I said come in! posted:

Today is exactly 1 year since I painted my first miniature. :3: I know my post about it is somewhere around here on this subforum but I can't find it.

Hell yeah, keep it up!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Its going to be painful waiting for my compressor to come on Friday or Saturday.

Do you have tubing? Blow Pen it.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
More assorted gribblies.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I said come in! posted:

I've literally never bought any kind of white paint from Citadel where this didn't happen, ever since I started this hobby years ago. I wonder if the airbrush versions don't have this problem...

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I had this exact thing happen to me and I tried mixing in water and medium and kept going and going because it wasn't getting much better and then I checked on it the next day and it was somehow gluier than when I started

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

Do you have tubing? Blow Pen it.

Yeah that is included in my compressor order that hasnt arrives yet. :p

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Painted up 8 more kobolds. 2 more to go and the horde is done!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I also painted up a unicorn

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

R0ckfish posted:

More assorted gribblies.

Especially nice work on those carapace highlights

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the best thing you can do with a pot of ceramite white or corax white is put it in the bin and buy a thing of vmc white

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I finally got my nerd cave up and running, so I got started on my fire team for Malifaux. I'm going for a "nothing but OSL"-look, so they only have the light they bring with them, and the weird glowing grass.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Electric Hobo posted:

I finally got my nerd cave up and running, so I got started on my fire team for Malifaux. I'm going for a "nothing but OSL"-look, so they only have the light they bring with them, and the weird glowing grass.

I like this effect, it looks pretty neat

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Electric Hobo posted:

Really cool idea and they look awesome! If you are ok with some feedback, I think you need to go one or two steps brighter on the parts of their bodies being lit by the flames. There's a bit of a disconnect where it doesn't quite read as OSL because the fire looks way brighter than the light it's actually casting. The first dude's face in particular seems too dark for how brightly colored (and well done!) the flames he is looking at are.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

Really cool idea and they look awesome! If you are ok with some feedback, I think you need to go one or two steps brighter on the parts of their bodies being lit by the flames. There's a bit of a disconnect where it doesn't quite read as OSL because the fire looks way brighter than the light it's actually casting. The first dude's face in particular seems too dark for how brightly colored (and well done!) the flames he is looking at are.
I agree, but most of it is that my camera isn't good enough. They aren't as dark in real life, and the OSL is more obvious, but my phone can't handle the contrast between the background and the figure. A black background would be better but I don't have the setup for it.
The first guy's face is lit from below but you can't really see it here. But I think that I forgot his left thigh!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Verisimilidude posted:

I also painted up a unicorn

This is a fantastic 80s-glam-icorn.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cross posting

Zaphod42 posted:

I didn't quite finish today but I made progress

I need to layer/highlight the skin on the face, paint a lens on the eyepiece, and paint the feather. But those are just a couple finishing touches and basically done!

Definitely the best model I've painted yet.

I wish I had more time. I don't wanna work, I just wanna bang on this brush all day...

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Anyone have recommendations for a D&D miniature carrying case? I need something relatively small that I can fit into a backpack or tote bag, that can hold 10-20 miniatures.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Citadel-Skirmish-Figure-Case

This seems to be exactly what you need. GW's cases are quite nice.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
If you don't want to spend that much, I grabbed a little clear plastic tackle box from the craft section at Walmart for a couple bucks. No padding, but as long as you're not throwing it around it should be fine.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a D&D miniature carrying case? I need something relatively small that I can fit into a backpack or tote bag, that can hold 10-20 miniatures.

I got this for bringing guys to kill team night:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074FSXMSM

Its a sturdy cardboard box with a magnetic closure and a tray of foam. The foam is the softer type and not the scratchy stuff you see in some cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Get a foam lined pistol case from a store like Gander Mountain or Walmart or some other sporting goods store. It's like $5, works great, but the foam can remove paint over time.