Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I seem to remember her complaint was more that the white working class are feckless and indolent unlike hard working immigrant families.

To which my main complaint was that I'm not sure systemic racism and the threat of being deported somewhere you've never lived is necessarily a thing I want to inflict on all of society to better increase productivity.

Let's set up a penal colony in the falklands, like in the good old days, and send feckless workshy scroungers over.

Would certainly be funny at least. Especially when they declare independence a couple decades down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

What's the actual reason that white boys on free school meals are underachieving?

Because all the charts say that they are, and like anecdotally as well I've heard from friends working in schools that there's an unaddressed issue.

Race is a myth and you don't see the same thing with white girls on free meals, so we can throw any genetic basis out the window, fun as it might be to throw back all those centuries of skull measurement.

I don't think it's feminism and teaching about the history of imperialism that's doing it either, unless kids are failing English and maths because geography class told them that a black person exists and their brains shut down.

A common one with people involved with this seems to be that there's no local support network, no equivalent of the Caribbean Community Centre or the gurdwara or the mosque to help kids and families, because until recently that was just called 'all of society' for white boys until Thatcher decided that there was no such thing.

But what does that imply we need to do? I don't think we should go around building 'white community centres', but someone's going to come up with that idea if we don't do something else.

There was that, but there was also the "teaching white boys about feminism and colonialism means they're failing maths" bit.

how much soy in these ~free meals~

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think when I was younger there was the idea that school prioritizes presentation in work without giving you a good reason as to why and thus people with a predisposition towards that do better (with the implication that girls obviously care more about presentation, not sure if that's actually true though)

Also not sure if that applies in the age of standardized testing, though obviously it might for coursework and certainly in early schooling I remember a lot of focus on making your work look nice, which we were never really taught the theory of.

I do remember being encouraged to write in cursive so I would be allowed to use a pen, possibly part of the reason why my handwriting is illegible to this day because I started doing that very badly and never got any better because they only cared whether it was joined up, not whether it was actually readable.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Guavanaut posted:

What's the actual reason that white boys on free school meals are underachieving?
I don't know. My issue isn't with the notion that white boys might be underachieving, it's specifically with her giving ammo to the absolute worst kind of dickheads by saying it's because there's too much focus on girls and minorities. There's very little chance she didn't say that specifically because it plays well with daily mail racists.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Journalists walking out after Boris restricts access to EU briefing

Cool. cool cool cool. Cool cool cool cool cool cool. Definitely a normal democracy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

fridge corn posted:

So only a few days in admittedly but have there been any brexit disasters yet?

So it looks like N.10 wants to copy the White House's playbook move of telling journalists "report the news exactly how we want or we will revoke access."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-news-journalists-walk-out-no-10-briefing-a9314996.html

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Question IRL posted:

So it looks like N.10 wants to copy the White House's playbook move of telling journalists "report the news exactly how we want or we will revoke access."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-news-journalists-walk-out-no-10-briefing-a9314996.html

Like they're not already.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I can only provide the opposite perspective but my own family (Somali immigrants) is that children are driven to excel to get out of the lower working class backgrounds for a better life for themselves and not to be stuck in crowded council housing or whatever, so study hard because your skin colour will hold you back - you're also competing with the rest of us. I've no idea if the same is true on the other side (barring skin colour) I've not experienced it.

Posting is a bit messy as I'm quite unwell at the moment

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think when I was younger there was the idea that school prioritizes presentation in work without giving you a good reason as to why and thus people with a predisposition towards that do better (with the implication that girls obviously care more about presentation, not sure if that's actually true though)

Also not sure if that applies in the age of standardized testing, though obviously it might for coursework and certainly in early schooling I remember a lot of focus on making your work look nice, which we were never really taught the theory of.

I do remember being encouraged to write in cursive so I would be allowed to use a pen, possibly part of the reason why my handwriting is illegible to this day because I started doing that very badly and never got any better because they only cared whether it was joined up, not whether it was actually readable.
That might be true for coursework, but for the big standardized tests like maths I don't think they care as long as you show your working.

I assume things have moved on since my day of old men in tweed jackets making near illegible chickenscratch over blackboards, but maths should at least be a good indicator of how well the teaching/learning process is going rather than presentation.

Pilchenstein posted:

I don't know. My issue isn't with the notion that white boys might be underachieving, it's specifically with her giving ammo to the absolute worst kind of dickheads by saying it's because there's too much focus on girls and minorities. There's very little chance she didn't say that specifically because it plays well with daily mail racists.
Oh I know, that's why it's up at the top of reasons why she's not my #1 preferred candidate.

But that doesn't mean it isn't a real thing that's happening. Racists will racialize anything, if it was the other way around like in some parts of the US it'd be "fatherless families innate criminality ghetto lifestyle :dogwhistle:", so where there exists an issue the left has to be able to propose a framework for that to combat the easy lies.

Flipswitch posted:

I can only provide the opposite perspective but my own family (Somali immigrants) is that children are driven to excel to get out of the lower working class backgrounds for a better life for themselves and not to be stuck in crowded council housing or whatever, so study hard because your skin colour will hold you back - you're also competing with the rest of us. I've no idea if the same is true on the other side (barring skin colour) I've not experienced it.

Posting is a bit messy as I'm quite unwell at the moment
I get what you mean, the "you'll have to work twice as hard" thing is a common message. It's also something that's true of the white working class in different ways, having to work much harder than a middle class well networked person (but less than the migrant family) to get to the same place, but nobody seems to be talking about that, which is how you end up with the kind of Mailbait that it's somehow because of feminism and BAME that white boys are failing.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah it's something that definitely needs addressing - I'm not sure how exactly but maybe more involvement with community centres so they feel that they have more support? Sort of like how a Mosque can but for any background.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Honestly I would bet on it being a combination of lack of social support and a toxic culture, in particular around being seen as brainy, or being seen as trying too hard being unacceptable to white male teens and young adults.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I vote for killing and eating the rich thereby eliminating the need to perform massive amounts of pointless labour just to exist.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Has anyone in the government even mentioned the report into Russian interference since the election?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I vote for killing and eating the rich thereby eliminating the need to perform massive amounts of pointless labour just to exist.

I must have missed that in the manifestos.

marktheando posted:

Has anyone in the government even mentioned the report into Russian interference since the election?

Lol of course not, and the media are largely ignoring it too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

If I have a complaint about butler it's that she apparently really hates investigations into the iraq war.

Novara asked her about that, and she said she believes it should happen, just not while it's ongoing and British troops are serving there. Like in the sense that, if you're calling the whole thing into question that seriously, you're effectively telling the people out there (and the rest of the world) that they're carrying out an illegal war, and undermining their legitimacy and safety. She said she came to that conclusion after talking to people in the military (including her... brother? some relation) about how they'd feel if it happened, and those were the concerns they had

That seems to be her style, she's pragmatic and likes to understand everything before she'll commit to a position, so she might back some unpopular choices but she at least has good reasons instead of being factionally defensive about Big Tone or whatever. It cuts both ways too - apparently she's under constant daily pressure to sign up to those Board of Directors pledges (she described it as "just agree to them and this will all go away") but she won't do anything until she knows exactly what they mean, and they won't meet with her to discuss it

the big one is she was asked which Democrat candidate she supports, and after being unsure for a minute she goes "I don't know, Biden maybe??"
like, how? gonna assume she's not been following it too closely

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One wonders how she plans to understand whether it's a good idea without an investigation.

Investigations are inappropriate while the war is ongoing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah it's something that definitely needs addressing - I'm not sure how exactly but maybe more involvement with community centres so they feel that they have more support? Sort of like how a Mosque can but for any background.
Yeah I think it has to be something like that. Generic [local area] Community Centre for everyone.

There also has to be a draw, like an idea that you should be going there. Mosques have an obvious one, if you're a good Muslim you should be going there, and you should be taking your family.

Glasman's "faith, flag, and family" that he took directly from the Cornerstone Group is ridiculous for two reasons. Firstly it's crypto fascist poo poo and he took it from the loving Cornerstone Group, and secondly what faith? Citrus jokes aside, I don't think there is a binding faith among the white working class. But there needs to be a binding something (ideally one that doesn't lean on the 'white' bit) to combat whatever the root cause is of

thespaceinvader posted:

a toxic culture, in particular around being seen as brainy, or being seen as trying too hard

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

Citrus jokes aside, I don't think there is a binding faith among the white working class. But there needs to be a binding something (ideally one that doesn't lean on the 'white' bit) to combat whatever the root cause is of

It's football, op

I mean, not entirely, but close enough.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

baka kaba posted:

the big one is she was asked which Democrat candidate she supports, and after being unsure for a minute she goes "I don't know, Biden maybe??"

https://twitter.com/DawnButlerBrent/status/1222300931016077312?s=20

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Joeremy Bernard Biden

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ ok that makes a lot more sense

biden astrally projected to whisper his name in her ear (and smell her hair)

OwlFancier posted:

One wonders how she plans to understand whether it's a good idea without an investigation.

Investigations are inappropriate while the war is ongoing?

well she did vote in favour of a public inquiry
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2009-06-24-156-commons/mp/11447
and I can see her reasoning? I don't necessarily agree that you have to wait til we've ended a war to start officially questioning it, given the circumstances that kind of thing could actually bring it to an end quicker - but Labour were in government at the time so I can understand her hoping to end it soon without sparking tensions and putting UK personnel in more danger, and then start holding people to account

like if you're gonna vote against investigations, I'd prefer it to be that kind of pragmatic take than HELL NO JUST WAR

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Starmer really is a poo poo.

https://twitter.com/lisa_trandy/status/1224349548757291010?s=20

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah I think it has to be something like that. Generic [local area] Community Centre for everyone.

There also has to be a draw, like an idea that you should be going there. Mosques have an obvious one, if you're a good Muslim you should be going there, and you should be taking your family.

Glasman's "faith, flag, and family" that he took directly from the Cornerstone Group is ridiculous for two reasons. Firstly it's crypto fascist poo poo and he took it from the loving Cornerstone Group, and secondly what faith? Citrus jokes aside, I don't think there is a binding faith among the white working class. But there needs to be a binding something (ideally one that doesn't lean on the 'white' bit) to combat whatever the root cause is of
In a perfect world it would be community, and working with your local community to draw people together but Britain is incredibly cynical and disenfranchised so I have no idea how you spur this on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The first tweet is confusing, is that more TERF poo poo?

Flipswitch posted:

In a perfect world it would be community, and working with your local community to draw people together but Britain is incredibly cynical and disenfranchised so I have no idea how you spur this on.

I believe that's sort of the point of municipalism, you break it down to the level people can actually affect directly and work upwards from there.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

trickle-down gastronomics

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

I think Keir dodged her question and said we needed to conduct "the debate" on trans rights respectfully.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was more meaning is Rapid Onset Gender Dysphoria another in the long line of terf things that mean the opposite of what they sound like or is it a real term?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Chuka Umana posted:

I think Keir dodged her question and said we needed to conduct "the debate" on trans rights respectfully.

It's this, I think. It reads as a mix of 'gently caress no I'm not touching this with a ten-foot pole it's TERF poo poo but I can't say so' and 'I'm taking this as read which is 'my child is trans and I'm concerned for his safety and health'', which is definitely a human rights issue and so forth.

It's possible he's missed the undercurrent of the question and just taken the face value one, but I'd be willing to bet he knows exactly what's being asked and is ducking furiously.

E: It's TERF poo poo, but it's not obviously TERF poo poo unless you know your TERF poo poo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_onset_gender_dysphoria_controversy (I think? Other people are definitely more qualified to comment)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

baka kaba posted:

Novara asked her about that, and she said she believes it should happen, just not while it's ongoing and British troops are serving there. Like in the sense that, if you're calling the whole thing into question that seriously, you're effectively telling the people out there (and the rest of the world) that they're carrying out an illegal war, and undermining their legitimacy and safety. She said she came to that conclusion after talking to people in the military (including her... brother? some relation) about how they'd feel if it happened, and those were the concerns they had

That seems to be her style, she's pragmatic and likes to understand everything before she'll commit to a position, so she might back some unpopular choices but she at least has good reasons instead of being factionally defensive about Big Tone or whatever. It cuts both ways too - apparently she's under constant daily pressure to sign up to those Board of Directors pledges (she described it as "just agree to them and this will all go away") but she won't do anything until she knows exactly what they mean, and they won't meet with her to discuss it

that will never not give way for "time for healing, natural justice, don't poke old wounds" when are lads return. also why the gently caress do you ask soldiers whether to investigate war?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obviously the idea that Something Must Be Done about all this gender going about nowadays is curtain twitching bollocks but genuinely I have difficulty parsing a lot of the actual words when they're not coming from people I trust because the dickhead side of the argument is doing a bangup job of making words not mean anything any more.

thespaceinvader posted:

E: It's TERF poo poo, but it's not obviously TERF poo poo unless you know your TERF poo poo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_onset_gender_dysphoria_controversy (I think? Other people are definitely more qualified to comment)
Yeah that's what I was thinking, the implication being "clearly there is no basis for this because it's so rapid it must be bollocks"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

that will never not give way for "time for healing, natural justice, don't poke old wounds" when are lads return. also why the gently caress do you ask soldiers whether to investigate war?

Don't forget the next phase. Which is to ask for legislation to ensure that soldiers can't be prosecuted for crimes afterwards because the people pushing for trials over the murder of their loved ones are just bringing "vexatious claims".

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Surely that's all boilerplate PR speak? The contentious stuff is all in the questions, I don't see any evidence of human involvement in the answers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nice of johnson to put the tv license up instead of scrapping it, a shame about the british public's capacity for basic reasoning.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Nice of johnson to put the tv license up instead of scrapping it, a shame about the british public's capacity for basic reasoning.

This is exactly what I thought would happen. He's going to sell off the BBC and keep the TV license because what fascist doesn't want to control what the people are able to watch?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

thespaceinvader posted:

It's this, I think. It reads as a mix of 'gently caress no I'm not touching this with a ten-foot pole it's TERF poo poo but I can't say so' and 'I'm taking this as read which is 'my child is trans and I'm concerned for his safety and health'', which is definitely a human rights issue and so forth.

It's possible he's missed the undercurrent of the question and just taken the face value one, but I'd be willing to bet he knows exactly what's being asked and is ducking furiously.

this reads EXACTLY like a euphemistic way of being mad at "trenders"

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Knee-jerk terrorism legislation incoming:

Tweet now deleted, not quite sure why.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 3, 2020

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Let's set up a penal colony in the falklands, like in the good old days, and send feckless workshy scroungers over.

Would certainly be funny at least. Especially when they declare independence a couple decades down the line.

Re-opening the Spanish penal colony* on the Falklands would indeed be hilarious but I can't see it happening.

*There was never a British one on the Falklands afaik. In fact Capt. FitzRoy (of HMS Beagle/Darwin fame) recorded in his log after a visit that the islands were "not even fit for a penal colony" - some of us took great pleasure quoting this during Thatchers Falklands Conflict™

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maximum troll move would be ceding the falklands to spain and gibraltar to argentina.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

this reads EXACTLY like a euphemistic way of being mad at "trenders"

The question, starer's answer, my post, which this are you referring to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

thespaceinvader posted:

The question, starer's answer, my post, which this are you referring to?

the wikipedia article. it's people trying to say "these are just silly teenagers being trans as a fad" in like a serious sciencey way to give it gravitas