Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
We went for him in 2016, not surprised it’s the same thing this time around.

That’s not a reason to get complacent, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Bern it down.

Also still going for a Bernie/Inslee ticket... Rage and policy wonk that's OK being directed by rage....

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

BlueBlazer posted:

Also still going for a Bernie/Inslee ticket... Rage and policy wonk that's OK being directed by rage....

I’d rather have Bernie pick Jayapal. Not that she’s eligible, but if we’re dreaming about a WA state VP, she’d be better.

Not a chance it’s gonna be someone from WA though. We’re blue, we don’t matter.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

My wife and I are living in Portland and are in the process of buying a house. One of the aspects of purchasing a house now is looking on portlandmaps.com to see how high a risk the house is at of destruction from the Cascadia quake. I heard about this quake a lot growing up, and over the past few years. But I never paid much attention to it. Now, it’s like we hear about it a lot. My wife is from Texas and she is pretty freaked out by the thought of us being separated or one of us killed during it, let alone our house and all our possessions being destroyed. I don’t honestly know whether to be scared or just ignore it like it’s an old wives tale.

Many of the sites claim a 10-14% chance of it happening over the next 50 years, and that it would injure and/or displace something like 200,000 people. But, do you all know more about it? Like how likely it is or how we should really be thinking about it? I continue to wonder if it would even happen in our lifetime.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Blind Rasputin posted:

My wife and I are living in Portland and are in the process of buying a house. One of the aspects of purchasing a house now is looking on portlandmaps.com to see how high a risk the house is at of destruction from the Cascadia quake. I heard about this quake a lot growing up, and over the past few years. But I never paid much attention to it. Now, it’s like we hear about it a lot. My wife is from Texas and she is pretty freaked out by the thought of us being separated or one of us killed during it, let alone our house and all our possessions being destroyed. I don’t honestly know whether to be scared or just ignore it like it’s an old wives tale.

Many of the sites claim a 10-14% chance of it happening over the next 50 years, and that it would injure and/or displace something like 200,000 people. But, do you all know more about it? Like how likely it is or how we should really be thinking about it? I continue to wonder if it would even happen in our lifetime.

Probably, best to steer clear

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

It's real. If you don't have a disaster bag at home and in your car you're being negligent.

It might not happen in the next 50 years, but on the spectrum of things you should be worried about, it's definitely below "run over by an Uber driver" but above "shark attack"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Blind Rasputin posted:

Buy newer construction or an older construction that has been retrofitted. What you want is for the house to be attached to the foundation with steel tie downs. Also don't be super close to the river. Make sure you have 2 weeks of food and water on hand for each member of the household and a plan for collecting water if services are interrupted for longer than 2 weeks. Thank about what you would need camping and have that on hand.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

therobit posted:

Buy newer construction or an older construction that has been retrofitted. What you want is for the house to be attached to the foundation with steel tie downs. Also don't be super close to the river. Make sure you have 2 weeks of food and water on hand for each member of the household and a plan for collecting water if services are interrupted for longer than 2 weeks. Thank about what you would need camping and have that on hand.

Eastern Pacific Northwest wisdom represent.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

generic one posted:

I’d rather have Bernie pick Jayapal. Not that she’s eligible, but if we’re dreaming about a WA state VP, she’d be better.

Not a chance it’s gonna be someone from WA though. We’re blue, we don’t matter.

The President can't be an immigrant per the constitution and since VP becomes the president in case of death or incapacitation, VP can't be one either. So Jayapal is ineligble.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I don't have a WA drivers license, what do I need to do to get registered to vote up here? I should have all the documentation to get a WA license by the end of Feb.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I don't have a WA drivers license, what do I need to do to get registered to vote up here? I should have all the documentation to get a WA license by the end of Feb.

I don't know the answer to your question, but you'll get registered to vote when you get your license. Are you concerned about being able to vote in the school levies next week or can you wait?

EDIT: The was lazy of me, sorry. Here's the SOS link: for reference. https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/register.aspx

It appears that you need a WA ID at the very least, but the site is unclear about that. Have you tried signing up online?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 2, 2020

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

I don't know the answer to your question, but you'll get registered to vote when you get your license. Are you concerned about being able to vote in the school levies next week or can you wait?

I'm traveling next week so I think I'll just vote in the next election after I get registered.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I'm traveling next week so I think I'll just vote in the next election after I get registered.

Just making sure you see this but I threw in the SoS link and it appears that you can just register online.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Good deal: "You will need a current Washington State driver's license, permit or ID card [to register online]. If you do not have any of these, you may still register by mail or in person." Deadline is the 11th to register in person.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Something to consider is that anywhere on the West coast could be effected by earthquakes at any time and it doesn't necessarily require "the big one" for a water line or whatever to break, or wreck your foundation I guess.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

gohuskies posted:

The President can't be an immigrant per the constitution and since VP becomes the president in case of death or incapacitation, VP can't be one either. So Jayapal is ineligble.

That’s literally what I said in that post?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Blind Rasputin posted:

All of this is reliant on the theory that tectonic plates essentially build up tension over time and it has to be released periodically. Imagine if you pull a string cheese apart, mostly it pulls smoothly but sometimes it catches and tension builds up then it pulls more rapidly for a bit.

The thing is, there isn't a consensus around this idea in the geologic community. So yeah, there's a chance that if that theory of how fault lines work, the area is overdue for a major earthquake by like 100 years. But we don't actually have great records of these periodic quakes, and the theory is an okay theory but not an actual consensus.

Between a shark, which is negligible, and between being hit by a car, which is actually a very good chance, is a wide range, and probably a good place to put "the big Northwest Quake".

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Granted I am not an expert and I rely on other people to do science for me, but this is the first I've heard about that not being a consensus about how tectonic plates work.

Just to calibrate here, how does that rank on the scale of unsettled science as compared to things like "there's not a consensus on climate change"?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I don’t really know tbh I took a geology course on fault lines and stuff in the Seattle area and the teacher presented them as two theories about how faults work basically and didn’t say anything about if one theory was better or more widely supported. However you can see why the theory that predicts a terrible catastrophe relatively soon gets all the attention.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Well when it does happen I’m sure competing geologists everywhere will be pointing fingers at who’s at fault.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd love to have an extra two weeks of food and water in my 1 bedroom apartment somehow.

At least the building is/seems sturdy?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

As residents of the Pacific Northwest you took an oath to subsist on moss and coffee grounds for two weeks should the need arise and swear to snare bigfoot by summer's end.

Bernie's stance on bigfoot reclamation is yet unknown.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Javid posted:

I'd love to have an extra two weeks of food and water in my 1 bedroom apartment somehow.

At least the building is/seems sturdy?

I mean, it's not tiny but storing food and water for two weeks shouldn't take up *that* much space. You could easily fit it under your bed.

We're not talking about water equal to the amount of water you currently use in two weeks, but the amount essential for life, which is roughly a gallon a day per person.
Similarly, canned goods and dried food like rice and beans (and a way to cook them) doesn't take up much space.

This site has some useful tips: https://www.ready.gov/kit

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Upon reflection I have a decent bit of hoarded food, it's just entirely not my favorite stuff so I don't inventory it as food normally. Also assorted camp stoves. The only thing I don't specifically have is THAT much water...

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Back in 2000 or so, I tried to squirrel away some cans of soup as part of my first disaster preparedness kit, but my dad found it and ate it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’ve always heard on the event of an emergency the first thing you should do is fill up your bathtub. Ideally before all the water is gone or irradiated.

That way you have drinking and water for bathing for the family.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’ve always heard on the event of an emergency the first thing you should do is fill up your bathtub. Ideally before all the water is gone or irradiated.

That way you have drinking and water for bathing for the family.

That's hoping that your hot water heater didn't fall over because it's unsecured and that the pipes carrying city water aren't broken and they're actually both safe to drink and also that there's even pressure. In the case of an earthquake those aren't necessarily good bets.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’m thinking I would do it like as the earthquake is beginning. It’s actually tons of sense. They say, “the bathroom is the safest place to be” and so I think it’s good advice that in the event of an earthquake or heaven forbid a nuclear attack just bee-line it to the bathroom and immediately turn on the bathtub. Which you can monitor the activity of from your hiding place behind the toilet. You could even put the bath mat over your head for added protection from falling debris, since it’s pretty thick, and rubberized.

Really come to think of it I think I’ll be fine.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m thinking I would do it like as the earthquake is beginning. It’s actually tons of sense. They say, “the bathroom is the safest place to be” and so I think it’s good advice that in the event of an earthquake or heaven forbid a nuclear attack just bee-line it to the bathroom and immediately turn on the bathtub. Which you can monitor the activity of from your hiding place behind the toilet. You could even put the bath mat over your head for added protection from falling debris, since it’s pretty thick, and rubberized.

Really come to think of it I think I’ll be fine.

I mean I've been through an earthquake. You're really overestimating your ability to think quickly and take action in the moment (and I think also just being glib for humors sake about what is admittedly an uncomfortable thing to think about :))

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah. It’s honestly just been a really weird past few days with the wife since our housing hunt brought all this to light. I actually appreciate that preparation home kit website you all posted, and we will definitely get on that. It’s just.. I deal in healthcare and kind of always are thinking in risk/benefit and odds/chances kinds of ways towards informed medical decision making and this is just such a weird bet to try to work through mentally. Do you take the bet that this catastrophic thing has a 70% chance of not happening in your lifetime? Or do you just have to resign yourself to the idea that a 30% chance of being wrong and that at some point, anytime, in your life it could all just immediately go full apocalypse is just too much to risk? At the same time, the thought of moving out to loving Bend of all places and basically retiring at the age of 38, my wife and I both leaving our jobs for other ones, and my kids (nearly teenagers) having to start all over.. all over this significant but remote chance of catastrophe seems... excessive. Really excessive. Because of some extended family things simply leaving Oregon all together just isn’t an option. I mean we are not weird paranoid people, my wife and I, we are just trying to think this through. And it’s a hard one.

We also totally get the counterpoint that we could die of a car wreck or getting hit by an Uber driver or a whole myriad of things much more probably, but I think we all have to appreciate just the sheer number of ways a magnitude 9 earthquake could destroy or otherwise immutably alter your life that make it just it’s entirely own category of what if.

I don’t have much luck with google on this. Coming back to the idea of an informed decision, I just wish there were scientific resources or something with more concrete data and projections. But thank you all for your thoughts help.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 3, 2020

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

bicievino posted:

I mean, it's not tiny but storing food and water for two weeks shouldn't take up *that* much space. You could easily fit it under your bed.

We're not talking about water equal to the amount of water you currently use in two weeks, but the amount essential for life, which is roughly a gallon a day per person.
Similarly, canned goods and dried food like rice and beans (and a way to cook them) doesn't take up much space.

This site has some useful tips: https://www.ready.gov/kit

14+ gallons of water permanently in a tiny apartment (or rented room) is not easily managed.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FRINGE posted:

14+ gallons of water permanently in a tiny apartment (or rented room) is not easily managed.

This is so true. Like everything else, your ability to survive a catastrophic but uncertain event is entirely in the hands of how affluent you are and how well you can expect your community to prepare given that you don't necessarily have the means to prepare on your own. As with so many things we've mostly outsourced earthquake prep as an individual responsibility. Kind of sad and gross.

Even with retrofitting. Everyone I think agrees that retrofitting is a really good and useful thing we could do but it's entirely up to the property owner to decide the cost is worthwhile and if you can't afford it or if your landlord thinks the margins don't make sense then whelp...

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah. It’s honestly just been a really weird past few days with the wife since our housing hunt brought all this to light. I actually appreciate that preparation home kit website you all posted, and we will definitely get on that. It’s just.. I just wish there were scientific resources or something with more concrete data and projections. But thank you all for your thoughts help.

I feel you. I think like all low probability catastrophic events you can't live your life around it. Prepare a bit if you can and go about your day to day. If it happens, it happens, and you'll get through it or you won't. It doesn't do any good to let it impact your day to day decision making any more than worrying about planet busting meteors or total global economic collapse or Steven King level pandemics or any of the really nasty things you have no personal control over and that are always out there with a very low but still existent probability of happening.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
we're all gonna die. eat donuts and shitpost as much as possible. that's my motto.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

pseudanonymous posted:

I don’t really know tbh I took a geology course on fault lines and stuff in the Seattle area and the teacher presented them as two theories about how faults work basically and didn’t say anything about if one theory was better or more widely supported. However you can see why the theory that predicts a terrible catastrophe relatively soon gets all the attention.

What was the other theory?

I went to a presentation by university researchers that went into great detail about the structure of the plate and how it compares with other similar zones and the general reliability of predictions in those areas. It was pretty straightforward and compelling. They were able to quantify the degree to which the cascadia zone plates have built-up tension, however the sticking point was exactly how and when that gets released. Their best approach for that was historical records and the cascadia zone has been extremely on-time at least the last 2 cycles. Another zone they compared it to structurally was Indonesia and they showed how reliable (and powerful) those quakes have been. IIRC we are approaching the end of the "expected" window (our lifetime) before it's considered overdue.

Trying to understand what the other line of thinking looks like.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

porkface posted:

What was the other theory?

I went to a presentation by university researchers that went into great detail about the structure of the plate and how it compares with other similar zones and the general reliability of predictions in those areas. It was pretty straightforward and compelling. They were able to quantify the degree to which the cascadia zone plates have built-up tension, however the sticking point was exactly how and when that gets released. Their best approach for that was historical records and the cascadia zone has been extremely on-time at least the last 2 cycles. Another zone they compared it to structurally was Indonesia and they showed how reliable (and powerful) those quakes have been. IIRC we are approaching the end of the "expected" window (our lifetime) before it's considered overdue.

Trying to understand what the other line of thinking looks like.

Got curious and googled a bit and found this: http://www.wrocgeolab.pl/falsification3.pdf which lead back to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expanding_Earth

quote:

The expanding Earth or growing Earth hypothesis asserts that the position and relative movement of continents is at least partially due to the volume of Earth increasing. Conversely, geophysical global cooling was the hypothesis that various features could be explained by Earth contracting.

Although it was suggested historically, since the recognition of plate tectonics in the 1970s, scientific consensus has rejected any significant expansion or contraction of Earth.

Then I found this refutation. https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/earth20110816.html

Maybe my search terms were wrong and there's a different argument but it seems pretty psuedosciency from my entirely lay perspective. I don't have an advanced degree in this stuff or the time to get one so I'm going to keep operating under the expectation that the conventional theory is mostly correct. :shrug:

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

xrunner posted:

seems pretty psuedosciency from my entirely lay perspective
boy howdy

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

xrunner posted:

This is so true. Like everything else, your ability to survive a catastrophic but uncertain event is entirely in the hands of how affluent you are and how well you can expect your community to prepare given that you don't necessarily have the means to prepare on your own. As with so many things we've mostly outsourced earthquake prep as an individual responsibility. Kind of sad and gross.

I work in a rather affluent area and we'd love to have the tax revenue to improve our emergency preparedness but this is America.

Right now our goal for the year is that if the major earthquake hits someone will be able to call the feds and state for help.

We have some secured sat phones and not much else.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RuanGacho posted:

I work in a rather affluent area and we'd love to have the tax revenue to improve our emergency preparedness but this is America.

Right now our goal for the year is that if the major earthquake hits someone will be able to call the feds and state for help.

We have some secured sat phones and not much else.

I'm just imagining that the numbers are written on post it notes stuck to the phones.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm just imagining that the numbers are written on post it notes stuck to the phones.

I'm just imagining the accountant who wonders why we're paying for this service that we don't use and turns off the account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

xrunner posted:

I'm just imagining the accountant who wonders why we're paying for this service that we don't use and turns off the account.

drat