Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Random Stranger posted:

Call witnesses, but include Bidens and staffers who outside of the conspiracy who could sit there and say, "I didn't see anything!" and anybody else they could get to muddy the waters. Basically, the ideal republican strategy at the start was "flush this turd as fast as possible" but as it became clear that there were people with major evidence then they needed to stir poo poo up as much as possible. Yeah, everyone here would have groaned at every conspiracy mongering question, but they could have used impeachment as a stage to play for their base. Something that would let your insane relatives talk about how unfair democrats were being because didn't you hear what they said in that five second sound bite on Fox news. Instead, the GOP has fumbled the ball pretty badly first by giving democrats a platform to pound "Republicans are totally corrupt!" into the national consciousness and then backing that up with their own actions.

It's not the absolute best possible outcome of the impeachment hearings, but it's pretty close. It's also kind of boring (which is why it's not the absolute best possible outcome). Still, I can't really complain about the way democrats handled this impeachment trial.

I can complain when they don't have the second impeachment ready to go in a month, however.

Pretty much this. The GOP should have called witnesses and then muddied the waters then. It would have given them at least some cover. Instead they ran from any sort of inkling that it was a real trial and then come out and say "Yeah, he did it but who cares?" It is absolutely the worst possible optics and a massive miscalculation on their part.

Personally I'd avoid a second impeachment. It makes little sense to try it again when the Democrats had probably the best possible outcome and it will be spun and come back to hurt them in the end. It is better to take the win and then take a bigger win in the Fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'd rather the senate do nothing than censure. It's such a cop out nothing gesture.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Pussy Boss posted:

The only "crimes" that were highlighted by this process were obscure foreign policy horse-trading stuff that most people don't really care about. Yeah, many Americans want Trump impeached, I know I do, but for a hundred other things more important than the Ukraine stuff. People are angry at Trump, but not because he considered withholding military aid from Ukraine. They're angry because they can't afford to go the hospital or send their kids to college, and Nazis are marching in the streets.
that's not really the point. it's that he did something impeachable, he got impeached with absurd amounts of evidence to it, and the senate refused to see evidence or witnesses and rammed through a blatantly sham acquittal. The actual reason for the impeachment was bad(to you or I in terms of it mattering to our day-to-day) but the reaction to and results coming from the republicans around it are the really ugly parts. Openly declaring it would not be a fair trial. Saying they would not admit witnesses despite multiple prominent ones stepping forward. Blatantly declaring he should be above all punishment like dershowitz did. That multiple conspirators of the actual crime were involved in the trial itself. Rushing the trial through in no time at all. These are easy to digest and understand examples to even the most non-political bystander to make them question things.

this of course discounts the negative modifier of being a fox news watcher, if they're one of those people they're never going to listen to begin with, but there are absolutely people I speak to who despite not paying attention to politics, could see how flagrantly corrupt the senate trial was. I can only hope that gets results in november.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Popete posted:

I'd rather the senate do nothing than censure. It's such a cop out nothing gesture.

More of a nothing gesture than Actual Nothing? What?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

I'd love for them to censure just so Trump goes off the handle at them

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

I've never heard of Second Corinthians. I've heard of Two Corinthians though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Tatsuta Age posted:

More of a nothing gesture than Actual Nothing? What?

Cause it gives Republicans something to point at and say "See we did something!" instead of what they're actually doing which is a blatant sham.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
EDIT: Wrong thread

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Suppose, with adequate support from the electorate, the House Dems passed a new impeachment resolution every working day from now until the next Senate is sworn in? DDoS the senate, effectively. There's certainly plenty of impeachable material between now and then.

Not 'hey, let's try this again and see if it sticks' (we all know it won't), but more a 'fine then, you croneys will be tied up in impeachment proceedings for the rest of your public careers.'

I don't expect it to go this way, and I can definitely imagine messaging and false narratives that the GOP would use... but I can also imagine it being a useful tactic. The Senate just committed a serious dereliction of duty; hound them as 'illegitimate' until they're replaced. Make the official party position that they're not gunning for removal, but to ensure /every/ reason Trump /should/ be removed is all entered into the record, and forcing every senator to look at each of those reasons square in the face. The Senate has a habit of treating the House like they're a bunch of kids; it's time to completely flip that. The House should be lecturing the Senate for being idiot children, incapable of governance.

I'm not advocating for the DDoS approach, merely entertaining it - but it would be a different strategy from 'let's find the one crime that senate republicans totally /would/ impeach for and try (and fail) once more.'

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's an idea, but you'd almost certainly get enough Senators to vote for summary dismissal and not tie them up that much. It would play into the "Do Nothing Democrats" story too, unless you could somehow tie the 400 bills that died in the Senate to them

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Schiff is clearly swinging for the fences here. Or at least anyone remotely sitting on them. Came just shy of mentioning Rubio by name.

Edit: And that's it. Schiff getting the last word before adjournment.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Energizing the Democratic base and giving the American people another reason to kick Trump out of office in November. I'm not as convinced as a lot of others that impeachment will fade from voters' minds as we get closer to the election. Impeachment is a big event that doesn't come around that often, and the GOP didn't have its chance to spin the Ukraine scandal as they did with Mueller. "The GOP put party over country" is an easy talking point the Democrats can hammer and hammer the same way "her emails" was hammered in 2016.

After 2016 I'm not confident enough to say that Trump will be defeated, but I tend to think that voters are sick of him and the chaos he brings.

This might [will] be an unpopular opinion, M. F_Shit_Fitzgerald, but I don't think the Democrats (base or otherwise) have anything to offer the country. They don't seem to stand for anything outside of opposing Trump. Remember when Democrats wanted to strengthen the border and eliminate NAFTA? That wasn't so long ago. I don't trust either party any longer. They are fraudulent.

Independents will have more of an effect on elections and national policy, but the duopoly is baked in and will take some time to conquer.

I still think the anti-Trump Democratic spasm wasted a lot of time that could have been better spent on health care, education, wealth/income disparity, and the horrible military actions the U.S. has taken since 1990.

But I also think that the concept of UBI should be massively embraced by Democrats, as it was in the 1970's.

LOVE,
VITALIS

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

DarkHorse posted:

It's an idea, but you'd almost certainly get enough Senators to vote for summary dismissal and not tie them up that much. It would play into the "Do Nothing Democrats" story too, unless you could somehow tie the 400 bills that died in the Senate to them

Honestly, it would make more sense to just keep resending all of the 400 bills to the Senate every day. Play up that the Senate is do nothing; they won't vote on bills, they can't even be bothered to hold a real trial for the President.

That is a winning strategy.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Vitalis Jackson posted:

This might [will] be an unpopular opinion, M. F_Shit_Fitzgerald, but I don't think the Democrats (base or otherwise) have anything to offer the country. They don't seem to stand for anything outside of opposing Trump.

Bernie Sanders, well known for not having strong opinions on anything except Donald Trump. Troll somewhere else, idiot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Iamgoofball posted:

it was, yes, but defending rask's boomer energy posting about how these new fangled protests just aren't good enough is a bad look
additionally, old protests being much more impactful doesn't discount the efforts of modern protesting at all, because protesting is still direct action and direct action gets the goods

are you going to complain about labor striking because they didn't see immediate success and can't strike as effectively due to lovely laws put in place by capitalist pigs to keep unions down?

A protest where people just march isn't even remotely the same as a strike or sit-in, because those things actually either have an impact on the institutions that are oppressing them or are violating norms/laws that are oppressing people.

Marches, unless accompanied by some sort of actual direct action, are more similar to posting on the internet than strikes.

edit: To be clear, I would argue that posting on the internet is not worthless and that there's actual value to having large numbers of people express an opinion (either online or in marches, etc). But it still isn't the same as actions that directly affect the institutions/people doing the oppressing.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Censure would be a tight vote and if successful could be used as a bludgeon in fall campaign advertising again ALL House Rs and any Senators who voted against.

Having it on the Senate record that these were officially inappropriate or illegal acts is meaningful. It shreds the "Impeachment was a Dem Sham" argument.

Clinton fessed up to the inappropriate nature of his witness tampering and perjury after trial. Trump won't, and history would benefit from this procedural footnote that officially lays it on him.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

twice burned ice posted:

Bernie Sanders, well known for not having strong opinions on anything except Donald Trump. Troll somewhere else, idiot.

I feel I should remind you that Bernie Sanders is an independent . . .

LOVE,
VITALIS

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
What is the written punishment for senators refusing to do their duties? Like, does dereliction of senate duty result in senators being impeached or recalled or anything? Because while it's obvious the senate isn't going to do anything they're supposed to do wrt holding trump accountable, are they not subject to similar oversight by anyone else? In theory, can we just be like, "okay, so you're not going to do your duty and impeach trump, so for your obvious dereliction of duty we're now placing you on trial"?

I mean, I get that wouldn't happen, but does that exist? I want to know just how slash and burn we need to be when we tear up the current rules and makes ones that aren't so patently toothless.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Vitalis Jackson posted:

Independents will have more of an effect on elections and national policy, but the duopoly is baked in and will take some time to conquer.

The duopoly is a consequence of our political system, not just a cause. It's here to stay until we make serious changes to the way our power and voting systems are structured, which will require a united push by at least one of the two big parties (which, in turn, would require a serious grassroots in-party coup). In the meantime, "independents" will continue to be a mix of single-issue voters, partisans embarrassed by the only party they seriously vote for, and people willing to throw away their votes shouting into the void.

It sucks, but that's what we're stuck with.

In the end, impeachment on Ukraine got us sound bytes to attack several Senators, and not impeaching would have been a disaster. The charges were clear, and we now have Republicans on record either saying that Trump's actions were a-okay, or that they weren't but they're not going to do anything about it. That's about the best we could expect.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 3, 2020

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Vitalis Jackson posted:

I feel I should remind you that Bernie Sanders is an independent . . .

LOVE,
VITALIS

oh, you're one of those people

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Stickman posted:

The duopoly is a consequence of our political system, not just a cause. It's here to stay until we make serious changes to the way our power structure, which will require a united push by at least one of the two big parties (which, in turn, would require a serious grassroots in-party coup). In the meantime, "independents" will continue to be a mix of single-issue voters, partisans embarrassed by the only party they seriously vote for, and people willing to throw away their votes shouting into the void.

It sucks, but that's what we're stuck with.

In the end, impeachment on Ukraine got us sound bytes to attack several Senators, and not impeaching would have been a disaster. The charges were clear, and we now have Republicans on record either saying that Trump's actions were a-okay, or that they weren't but we're not going to do anything about it. That's about the best we could expect.

Tbf, I think that when Bernie wins, there’s definitely going to be momentum for fixing the power structure.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grassley currently mumbling his way through a grand show of incredulity about the very idea of evaluating intent as a factor in evaluating conduct.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's insultingly stupid to go into a room that is over half lawyers and try to tell them that intent is not criminally relevant. I still can't believe that of all the possible ways they could try to disingenuously defend him that they went with that.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SubG posted:

Grassley currently mumbling his way through a grand show of incredulity about the very idea of evaluating intent as a factor in evaluating conduct.

I mean come on, have you ever even SEEN intent? Are we supposed to believe some invisible magic thing makes people guilty of a crime?!? Preposterous!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Did any of them do the direct 'intent relevant to crime = THOUGHT POLICE' comparison yet?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

SubG posted:

Intent is good for "you know what"?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

Intent is good for "you know what"?
More than doubling the sentence for a first time possession charge?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

No, wait. Distinguishing murder and manslaughter.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

You can't know what's in a man's heart, no matter how corruptly he acts

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

You can't know what's in a man's heart, no matter how corruptly he acts

"Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of man? The Shadow Knows"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's insultingly stupid to go into a room that is over half lawyers and try to tell them that intent is not criminally relevant. I still can't believe that of all the possible ways they could try to disingenuously defend him that they went with that.

I wonder how much of this is (perhaps unconsciously) from an awareness that their words at this point are utterly meaningless. They could go up in front of the Senate and do fifteen minutes of armpit farts and it would be just as cogent a defense and have just as much effect on the verdict.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Interesting that so few Senators have used the time to make a statement. Guess they figure they're get more screen time in front of cameras in the rotunda or whatever as opposed to speaking from the well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1224447070397820936?s=19

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1224447853147246596

manchin does a thing.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I really wish we had more firebrand senators on the democratic side. If I had this seat I would be railing against the republican party as hard as I could.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Blackburn accusing the Democrats in the House of intentionally mismanaging the impeachment process to rig the 2020 election. Claims that Schiff just made up the conversation just to see if it would confuse everybody. Briefly does an as-a-mother-I bit, says she wouldn't stand for it if Schiff was her kid. Questions whether the whisleblower is a person, suggest that the whistleblower complaint might have written by a group, suggests Schiff and his staffers might be covering something up. Calls the requests for witnesses an attempt at a `do over'.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SubG posted:

Blackburn accusing the Democrats in the House of intentionally mismanaging the impeachment process to rig the 2020 election. Claims that Schiff just made up the conversation just to see if it would confuse everybody. Briefly does an as-a-mother-I bit, says she wouldn't stand for it if Schiff was her kid. Questions whether the whisleblower is a person, suggest that the whistleblower complaint might have written by a group, suggests Schiff and his staffers might be covering something up. Calls the requests for witnesses an attempt at a `do over'.

is she just dumb as gently caress or is she just an empty rear end in a top hat who is ideological parasite?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is she just dumb as gently caress or is she just an empty rear end in a top hat who is ideological parasite?

Why not both?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Manchin is just trying to avoid having to vote on impeachment himself, or giving himself cover to vote against it.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's a lot like impeachment really. Completely symbolic, it will motivate people hopefully to vote, will be recorded in history as a key event, but ultimately changed nothing.

Lmao. "This is a symbolic event that history will record as a catalyst for sweeping change and therefore it changed nothing."

The nihilists in this thread are really grasping at straws to be condescendingly above it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Manchin is just trying to avoid having to vote on impeachment himself, or giving himself cover to vote against it.

very true. but its would be a fun vote.

Angry_Ed posted:

Why not both?

i walked into that one.