Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Sure, their powers give them the edge, but there's just enough room for someone quirkless to carve themselves a niche that Izuku could well have pursued if he hadn't given up on his dream the moment he discovered he didn't have a cool power.

How do you square this with All Might himself saying, point blank, that someone without at least a quirk can't make it as a hero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

How do you square this with All Might himself saying, point blank, that someone without at least a quirk can't make it as a hero?

A merciful lie for Deku, because as harsh as "you can't be a hero without a quirk" sounds to him, it is sure as hell is a lot gentler than "uh, yeah, you could absolutely be a quirkless hero, that is if you had begun training your body and pursuing martial arts like....5-7 years ago? Unfortunately, you just sat on your rear end and daydreamed about being a hero instead of actually working to become one and its far too late to start now, so you kinda wasted your only chance. Sucks, huh?".

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Flesnolk posted:

Pure practicality.

Without a Quirk you don't get into UA (or any of the other hero academies), you don't get the early access to the Hero Exam, you don't get recruited by big name heroes as an intern, you don't get a provisional Hero License, And in all likelihood you don't ever get a hero license, at which point your choices are give it up or become an illegal vigilante, as likely to get busted by pro heroes as the villains are.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah I read that as Hero (career choice) vs. hero (a person of courage and virtue). IIRC All Might suggested Deku become a cop or something, which while problematic to our eyes was probably rooted in "you can help people and fight bad guys in that way, despite lacking a mutant power."

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also as a comparison point, we’ve seen enough of All Might to know that even before he got his power he was working out and pushing himself to be the hero he believed he could be. It’s why he’s actually good at being a personal trainer and such, he himself did a lot of working out and bodybuilding even before gaining One for All.

He even explains it, with all his power he still got injured and is losing his quirk and his ability to be a hero, and so he doesn’t want to set up a scrawny quirkless kid for a life of pain in an industry he will already struggle to enter. I wonder if Izuku has been training and exercising all his life would All Might still have turned him down, or would he have been intrigued by someone very much like himself once, quirkless but still pushing towards being a hero.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i feel like this current arc will have someone notice bakugo's actually quite acute perceptiveness, and teach him to turn that towards seeing how people are feeling emotionally instead of just an immense spatial skill and quick eye for physical details.

bakugo is insanely smart, but he's only ever applied that towards combat-related skills. it'd be cool if instead of someone sitting down and saying "hey dude, have you considered like, just not being a jerk?" someone actually saw what he's already good at and helped him redirect those skills and energy towards new things.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I feel like "guns" can counter a lot of heroes powers

A punisher type in this universe wouldn't really have any issues dunking on most heroes.

I mean it's nice that you can dissolve stuff with your hands I guess, or you can jump around like a frog

*shoots you from 200m away*

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Yeah but this is anime world where guns are no match for fisticuffs or glorious hanzo steel

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Well, no. We already know that guns can be effective because Snipe exists. His Quirk lets him basically control exactly where his shots end up, which gives him a bit of an edge but nothing earthshattering. We've seen him a few times even, since he teaches at UA.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

There really aren't too many guns in Japan so I doubt its that much of an issue. Plus like CharlestonJew said, this is a universe where people without physically-enhancing quirks like Shigaraki can move fast enough to flash step and Sir Nighteye can throw a paperweight hard enough to blow Rappa into a wall.

I kind of assume that being able to beat a random thug with a gun is a prerequisite to being a real pro-hero.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one may assume that snipe seldom appears in the comic because his quirk (which is Gun) and his equipment (which is also Gun) would trivialize the vast majority of encounters shown thus far

the minute he stepped into the USJ, shigaraki was on the ground with more new holes than a colander

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Yeah I'm not saying I'd like to see a gun toting dude wasting heroes because that'd be boring in a world full of creative superpowers. But JUST SAYING it'd probably be easy for a guy with a rifle to take out most heroes in this setting. Basically anyone without super speed or super durability would be vulnerable to "bullets"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I suspect guns in this setting would be clamped down even harder than in real Japan, for exactly that reason. Can't shoot a hero if you can't get a gun.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Like half the X Men are technically vulnerable to bullets too but it never comes up outside of some dudes who have guns as their gimmick because just shooting in a superhero story is loving lame.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Now I want to see an edit of that Indiana Jones scene with someone from this show instead of a swordguy?.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nullsmack posted:

Now I want to see an edit of that Indiana Jones scene with someone from this show instead of a swordguy?.

Indy is Bakugo/Todoroki and his opponent gets completely nuked before they can do anything

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nullsmack posted:

Snipe and Shigaraki, since that's basically exactly what happened.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
We just saw guns used this last season, to great effect. Not just against Lemillion either, we saw it used against Suneater and Red Riot. And we also got to see precisely why guns can be both handy and why they are rendered useless.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

There was also that kid with a gun from the Summer Camp arc who had the unfortunate luck to facing off against Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rhonne posted:

There was also that kid with a gun from the Summer Camp arc who had the unfortunate luck to facing off against Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu.

though even with tetsu all steeled up the gunshots apparently hurt like a bastard

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

though even with tetsu all steeled up the gunshots apparently hurt like a bastard
Reminder that Tetsu is a child. Two children, one whose power is "big hands", beat poison gas and a revolver.

Obviously, you can make the argument "a high-powered sniper rifle could end a hero instantly", but that's a pretty extreme example. So could a surface-to-surface missile.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PMush Perfect posted:

Reminder that Tetsu is a child. Two children, one whose power is "big hands", beat poison gas and a revolver.

Obviously, you can make the argument "a high-powered sniper rifle could end a hero instantly", but that's a pretty extreme example. So could a surface-to-surface missile.

With help from a gas mask.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

And in the first movie, people tried to shoot Deku.

Didn't really work out!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Why do people still think HEH JUST USE GUN is clever or witty?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

Being American is a brain sickness.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

What? People were talking about powerless people and police and then guns were brought up as something that could put most heroes down. Some heroes can deal with guns by having super durability or being superfast or made of rubber or whatever but a lot of heroes would simply lose to "a guy with a gun", which is why that concept is usually not explored too much in stories like these. Unless it is against a hero who specifically CAN deal with guns

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's a shonen series so guns work only when the story demands it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flesnolk posted:

The largest country that speaks the dominant language used on this website is constantly bombarded with Zardoz-esque levels of enthusiasm about the gun.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

How popular is the theory that All for One is Deku's father? My GF is very big on this. I was talking to her about the theories for why AFO's theme plays when Deku fought Overhaul and that was her input.

I think it's revealed somewhere that Deku's father is some random guy elsewhere. Maybe? I don't pursue these things, I was just told it. Of course there's the whole doctor who said he had no Quirk being All for One's doctor maybe? So who knows, maybe Deku and AFO do have some relation and Izuku had a Quirk all along but it was "worthless" like AFO's brother's and the doc was lying. This was something suggested in the regular MHA thread elsewhere.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not a fan of it tbh

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Xarbala posted:

Not a fan of it tbh
:same:

It'd be way too contrived.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Deku's dad is overseas somewhere as a businessman according to an omake (In Vol 11 so during the OFA vs All Might battle.)

Kild fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 4, 2020

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Seriously. It's stupid, dumb nonsense that has actively no bearing in the source material. And is actively contradicted by it. Multiple times over.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

sometimes when a character is a nobody they can just be a nobody. deku's second cousin once removed does not need to secretly be overhaul or whatever, just because we can assume that a character exists doesn't mean that character has any greater significance than what we already know

i don't think that theory really adds anything to the story as presented, without going off into some wild fan fiction territory, either.

also don't we already know that deku's dad is some dude that can breathe fire or some poo poo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Needing to overexplain and overconnect everything is what ruined the Star Wars prequels, I'm pretty sure Horikoshi isn't going to make the same mistake his most-referenced series did.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deku's mom mentions that his dad has a fire breathing quirk during their doctor visit at the very start of the series, but he's never really brought up again. There's a brief flashback to kid Deku trying to breath fire in the Summer Camp arc, but other than that Deku never talks about his dad ever, not even when he's about to die against Muscular and quietly apologizing to his mom and All Might.

I think one of the big reasons why the "All For One is Deku's dad" theories is so popular is because the guy looks like Darth Vader and Horikoshi loves his Star Wars references. There's probably more to Deku's dad than just being some dude, but I doubt/hope he's not All For One.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Among billion other issues, AfO being Deku's father would mean that Deku's Mom is either secretly evil, secretly brainwashed or dumber than a brick and I will fight irl anyone who considers that a good take on her character. :colbert:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

sometimes when a character is a nobody they can just be a nobody. deku's second cousin once removed does not need to secretly be overhaul or whatever, just because we can assume that a character exists doesn't mean that character has any greater significance than what we already know

i don't think that theory really adds anything to the story as presented, without going off into some wild fan fiction territory, either.

also don't we already know that deku's dad is some dude that can breathe fire or some poo poo

Well if he wasn't gonna show up he'd just be dead or something. If he was a nobody he'd just be like Bakugo's dad. And he said at SDCC in 2018 that he'll show up eventually.

Imo the best deku dad theory is he's secretly the lunchguy.

quote:

Midoriya Hisashi

Missing in Action, face unrevealed
Quirk: Firebreathing

Lunch Rush

Name unrevealed, face unrevealed
Quirk: Unknown. Apparently really good at cooking.

So uh, see that contraption that’s attached to Lunch Rush’s face? What if it’s some kind of mechanism, that, I dunno, COLLECTS HIS FIRE BREATH so he has a portable Oven attached to him so he can cook anywhere!!!!!!!!

Maybe Hisashi learned from Inko how to cook really, really well. Maybe Izuku doesn’t know his dad works for UA. Maybe all he knows is that his dad works as a Chef for some fancy restaurant. Maybe there is a reason why Hisashi’s keeping his Lunch Rush identity a secret. Maybe Hisashi is just so busy with his Lunch Rush shenanigans at UA so that’s why we rarely see him at home.

Kild fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 4, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deku's dad will appear on the very last chapter/episode of the series and it will be a shot for shot remake of the Waterboy ending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A2WXEjOl4Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Why do dads always have to be someone special. I hope his dad is just "some guy"

All Might is the surrogate father figure anyway