Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

And this is also why Iowa still has a caucus system. If Iowa were to change from a caucus to a primary, New Hampshire's law would kick in to make them pursue going before Iowa. As long as Iowa's system is not a primary, they can continue to be "first in the nation".

maybe not after tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/brianneDMR/status/1224590687041150976

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/megslay27/status/1224580548435140608?s=20

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Grouchio posted:

Do you think this clusterfuck will negatively impact future turnout in the remainder of the primaries?

Nah, just that Iowa gave pundits ammo to write it off as too incompetent to trust electorally.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nonsense posted:

The caucus is dead folks. Congrats.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sounds like fanfiction

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Oh wow has the CIA seen this screenshot of a text message yet

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
so turnout was low, which is bad

but based on the google sheet and bernie's (and to an extent pete's) own numbers, bernie killed it and biden imploded, which is good

did all the lovely people just not turn up?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody steals from Klob and lives to talk about it

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

smoobles posted:

Oh wow has the CIA seen this screenshot of a text message yet

No, but my uncle who works at Nintendo has, and he confirms.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

https://twitter.com/emmajthatcher/status/1224538846819508224?s=19

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

This is going to be a long loving year.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

The media message will focus on the Iowa polls themselves being a shambles and an unexpectedly strong showing from Buttigieg.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Looks like Pete’s campaign manager is a big fan of Scandal (I don’t think Pete himself would tell the app devs to steal votes but I can imagine staffers doing it)

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
so goddamn glad i live in real state where i will just send in my mail in ballot like a normal person.

Clipperton posted:

so turnout was low, which is bad

but based on the google sheet and bernie's (and to an extent pete's) own numbers, bernie killed it and biden imploded, which is good

did all the lovely people just not turn up?

olds didn't show up as much as expected. they're a large amount of the electorate, so even a slight dip in their participation means turnout goes down. the trillion dollar question, of course, is whether this was just weird iowa poo poo or indicative of broader trends.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

empty whippet box posted:

Sounds like fanfiction

I think it was this pic from about 6 pages back where the delegate math was hosed up by a caucus chair.

Nonsense posted:

Pete's team got big brains

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I just can’t emphasize enough how absolutely insane it is that some 4-5 hours later, we don’t have a SINGLE piece of data out of the Iowa Democratic Party. They haven’t verified the results of a SINGLE caucus site yet?

And if they have and they’re just not releasing it, that’s somehow even worse. When people are accusing you of not being transparent, you should, you know, be as transparent as possible.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

This is the funniest thing imaginable, lmao

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

logger posted:

I think it was this pic from about 6 pages back where the delegate math was hosed up by a caucus chair.

oh na sorry, that pic was just because pete staffer posted the loving PIN numbers on twitter lol

that text tweet might have gotten the idea off it tho

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Gonna try to inflame Biden supporters about this poo poo without mentioning Bernie, try to get #mayorcheat trending and have libs talking about the Shadow bullshit

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

yeah, I believe it 100%, every non-Sanders candidate had a ace up the ol sleeve to cheat the results and now they're pissed that Butty's tactic won. ok, good.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Djarum posted:

Even if his campaign did absolutely nothing wrong the coincidences are a little too hard for a lot of people to overlook, the optics look like poo poo and it is going to make everything he does going forward suspect at best. He would have been better off being third or forth now. His campaign is now going to be poisoned for the rest of it's life.

Yeah. The campaign that killed the last poll that had him third also has extensive ties to the app developer that hosed up the results this badly, and then, to compound the issue, it is the same campaign that comes out and flat out declares victory.

So:

1- If this had happened in any other country, or if this had happened in the republican primaries, everyone would have been absolutely certain that wrongdoing was involved.

2- More importantly, let's think of the counterfactual here. Let's say it wasn't Buttigieg's campaign doing this, but one of the outsider ones. If Bernie, or Yang, or Tulsi had ties to the app maker, had killed a poll, and had declared victory. Would the media have passively accepted it as they have with Buttigieg? Would Perez or the DNC be going just "oops?"

It doesn't matter if this was done intentionally or just incompetence. It doesn't matter if vote totals have been changed or not. It doesn't matter if this just means a delay in getting the vote totals out instead. There was a campaign that had ties to the vote compiling app and we didn't know about it until this massive gently caress up. The fact that the Buttigieg campaign isn't under intense scrutiny by the party given all of this IS the rigging. They may not change a single vote, but the fact that he doesn't pay any price is per se evidence of the rigging.

Also, let's all thank Obama for going out of his way to make sure Perez was the DNC chair.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Troy Price is an American political strategist and LGBT rights advocate who has served as the Chair of the Iowa Democratic Party since his election in July 2017. Price worked in the administration of Iowa Governor Chet Culver, and later served as a press aide for Tom Vilsack.[2] Price served as Iowa Director for the Barack Obama 2012 presidential campaign and the Hillary Clinton 2016 presidential campaign.[3]

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ShadowIncHQ/status/1214230144447111169?s=20

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

empty whippet box posted:

Sounds like fanfiction

seriously. can we not do this? if something like that really happened it'll explode soon enough, we don't have to rely on text screenshots from @420_bern_it of whoever.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kill Bristol posted:

olds didn't show up as much as expected. they're a large amount of the electorate, so even a slight dip in their participation means turnout goes down. the trillion dollar question, of course, is whether this was just weird iowa poo poo or indicative of broader trends.

depending on what websites they read they may have been afraid of catching coronavirus from yang

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Has NH ever been taken to court over that law?

I’d kind of like to see a state do the same thing just to make a court invalidate both of them.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Nonsense posted:

that text tweet might have gotten the idea off it tho

That is what I am thinking as well, that's why I brought it up.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

I just can’t emphasize enough how absolutely insane it is that some 4-5 hours later, we don’t have a SINGLE piece of data out of the Iowa Democratic Party. They haven’t verified the results of a SINGLE caucus site yet?

And if they have and they’re just not releasing it, that’s somehow even worse. When people are accusing you of not being transparent, you should, you know, be as transparent as possible.

At the beginning of our caucus session, the chair announced that the Polk county Dems had printed 30,000 voter registration forms, and that all of them had been used, necessitating printing of new ones on the fly. It seemed to be a pretty apt representation of both unprecedented demand, and failure to prepare by the party.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/cancel_sam/status/1224592812441841665?s=21

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mahoning posted:

Presumably whatever exactly has gone wrong has really made them poo poo bricks, and they want to ensure that all ducks are in a row before they talk, but god drat.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm not going to lie, this disaster has me really afraid. This could rip open every wound in the Dem party base, and if Pete or anyone else tries to stoke that for an edge it could lead to the kind of primary that leaves the losers so bitter they ACTUALLY stay home.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

quote:

It's weird that you're posting things like this when the results aren't in yet, but whatever. Anyway, unrelated, do you have any comment on your campaign reportedly paying the firm that developed the app that caused the results to not be available yet?

A little more context that might help you out, the firm that developed the app was formed the same month you announced your exploratory committee by a company whose CEO is married to one of your senior staff, Michael Halle. So I dunno maybe you could ask him about it, too.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

I'm not going to lie, this disaster has me really afraid. This could rip open every wound in the Dem party base, and if Pete or anyone else tries to stoke that for an edge it could lead to the kind of primary that leaves the losers so bitter they ACTUALLY stay home.

The prize is seeing the right wing destroy the planet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

1stGear posted:

This is going to be a long loving year.

welcome to the worst year ever

we're gonna make it through together

or not

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Why are they all so open about their secret ratfucking operation

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
These Iowa polling sites are really something else.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
My Pete sits in the back of the limousine
My Pete comes in a wrapper of cellophane
My Pete pouts on the cover of the magazine
My Pete's a shallow little bitch trying to make the scene
I have arrived and this time you should believe the hype
I listened to everyone now I know that everyone was right
I'll be there for you as long as it works for me
I play a game
It's called insincerity

Ratfuckers

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I think we've reached a point where there's no more information to be had so we better just go to bed and wait for tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1224585636839141383?s=20

Boom.