Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lmao they totally hired some "full stack developer" bootcamp grads for peanuts and lo behold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocalypse
Feb 27, 2004

No Men Here. Only Monsters.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

genuine thanks for replying, so I am going to add my own quips to your considerations

- Brazil is larger than the US when discounted Alaska, and sure, there are many loving problems in terms of electoral systems and the breadth of territory involved, but I don't think even a few of those can be attributed to conventions such as national voting in one day

- I meant that there would be an electoral day with proper periods of preparation that would be as culturally appropriate as possible, like, if a candidate would require one year to go across the country, then sure, give them a year

- About party affiliation, yeah, I don't understand how that works for you, but that doesn't mean that Republicans can vote for Democrat candidates and vice-versa? Like, here and in other countries that I am a bit familiar with, most parties have a general membership that votes on what candidates they want to stand for election, and that doesn't seem controversial at all, at least that is my impression

I'm glad you saw my message. Here are my responses.

-It's not the physical size of the US that is the main problem (though it is part of it). Its the different media markets. The country is divided into many different media markets and the campaigns must pay to advertise in each of them, when they are trying to win a nomination / election. Some markets are more expensive than others. Usually this is proportional to how many people live within a market (as far as I can tell). Having the candidates compete in small media markets at the start. like Iowa and New Hampshire, allows for cash-poor candidates to have a shot of attracting attention. Most candidates haven't even bothered to put up an ad in 85% of the country at this point, and that's a good thing.

-Taking a year or so to go across the whole country might be good enough, but the details as to how this would work would be crucial.

-I thought you were talking about Senior Party Members, previously. If you are just talking about citizens voting in the nomination process, then it depends on what state you are talking about. Some States only allow citizens that are registered within the party to vote in the nomination, while others let everyone vote.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

joepinetree posted:

Yeah. The campaign that killed the last poll that had him third also has extensive ties to the app developer that hosed up the results this badly, and then, to compound the issue, it is the same campaign that comes out and flat out declares victory.

So:

1- If this had happened in any other country, or if this had happened in the republican primaries, everyone would have been absolutely certain that wrongdoing was involved.

2- More importantly, let's think of the counterfactual here. Let's say it wasn't Buttigieg's campaign doing this, but one of the outsider ones. If Bernie, or Yang, or Tulsi had ties to the app maker, had killed a poll, and had declared victory. Would the media have passively accepted it as they have with Buttigieg? Would Perez or the DNC be going just "oops?"

It doesn't matter if this was done intentionally or just incompetence. It doesn't matter if vote totals have been changed or not. It doesn't matter if this just means a delay in getting the vote totals out instead. There was a campaign that had ties to the vote compiling app and we didn't know about it until this massive gently caress up. The fact that the Buttigieg campaign isn't under intense scrutiny by the party given all of this IS the rigging. They may not change a single vote, but the fact that he doesn't pay any price is per se evidence of the rigging.

Also, let's all thank Obama for going out of his way to make sure Perez was the DNC chair.

This is a really good post, appreciate it - you lay out what I felt much better than I've been able to articulate.

Actually going to die laughing if it turns out Pete really did try to mastermind a coup.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

I'm not going to lie, this disaster has me really afraid. This could rip open every wound in the Dem party base, and if Pete or anyone else tries to stoke that for an edge it could lead to the kind of primary that leaves the losers so bitter they ACTUALLY stay home.

yes and no. normal people are not paying attention. they'll know there was a delay in the results getting out and that's it. iowa caucus drama is still politics nerd poo poo.

but we're getting pretty close to the point where they do start paying attention and it would be really bad to keep having disastrous fuckups like this on say, super tuesday.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

joepinetree posted:

Yeah. The campaign that killed the last poll that had him third also has extensive ties to the app developer that hosed up the results this badly, and then, to compound the issue, it is the same campaign that comes out and flat out declares victory.

So:

1- If this had happened in any other country, or if this had happened in the republican primaries, everyone would have been absolutely certain that wrongdoing was involved.

2- More importantly, let's think of the counterfactual here. Let's say it wasn't Buttigieg's campaign doing this, but one of the outsider ones. If Bernie, or Yang, or Tulsi had ties to the app maker, had killed a poll, and had declared victory. Would the media have passively accepted it as they have with Buttigieg? Would Perez or the DNC be going just "oops?"

It doesn't matter if this was done intentionally or just incompetence. It doesn't matter if vote totals have been changed or not. It doesn't matter if this just means a delay in getting the vote totals out instead. There was a campaign that had ties to the vote compiling app and we didn't know about it until this massive gently caress up. The fact that the Buttigieg campaign isn't under intense scrutiny by the party given all of this IS the rigging. They may not change a single vote, but the fact that he doesn't pay any price is per se evidence of the rigging.

Also, let's all thank Obama for going out of his way to make sure Perez was the DNC chair.

Exactly. Thankfully it seems that most of the public are at least becoming aware of the mess likely being Buttigieg's fault. He likely sunk now.

This will leave Bernie, Warren and Klob for NH. Biden might come back a bit with a Buttigieg implosion, but I think most of those votes would go to Warren or likely Klob.

Bloomberg is hoping for a Super Tuesday win right?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Well something is definitely up because Bernie is #1 or 2 in all the numbers I'm seeing, but Hillary told me that no one liked him.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nonsense posted:

oh na sorry, that pic was just because pete staffer posted the loving PIN numbers on twitter lol

that text tweet might have gotten the idea off it tho

Even so the rounding was hosed up yeah?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If Pete comes in 2nd by a non-trivial amount, any chance people will compare his victory declaration to the Dean Scream?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

If Pete comes in 2nd by a non-trivial amount, any chance people will compare his victory declaration to the Dean Scream?

We can make that happen, it's good that we don't have to rely on the media to do that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1224590014547292160

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Marianne gonna gently caress some dudes up on the astral plane getting to the bottom of this :hellyeah:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Josh Lyman posted:

This entire 48 hours is his Dean Scream.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Ms Adequate posted:

Presumably whatever exactly has gone wrong has really made them poo poo bricks, and they want to ensure that all ducks are in a row before they talk, but god drat.

Yeah, this seems like the most likely scenario for why they are now taking their sweet time to release any results at all: the app + phone line breakdown, in the face of accusations of deliberate unfairness (esp. in 2016) has scared the everliving gently caress out of the Democratic party, so they're carefully reviewing everything by hand and will release when it's all done and verified.

From a risk management perspective, it's probably the right move. At this point, a third major breakdown where they released wrong results because they were trying to be fast would be apocalyptic - like, it might actually destroy the state party and possibly the national party. It would be a coup for disinformation peddlers and would be a horrific own-goal in the effort to beat Trump.

It makes sense that someone would demand everything be done at turtle speed, making sure to check every detail and review things before stating anything publicly.

Speculation on my part. I have zero inside info.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I'm going to charitably assume that this was a hot take in the midst of some wild poo poo happening, but please don't do this. Takes like this result in me and others disregarding all contributions from you.

Youre really going to pull ~DECORUM~ right now?

Lol! Vice President Laser Queen beaming truths! :swoon:

https://mobile.twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1224585636839141383

quote:

America, something went wrong here tonight and it wasn’t just an app. If an app goes down, there are such things as telephones. Then a moderate candidate came out and made this weird victory speech, while MSM started talking about what a good night this was for Mike Bloomberg.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sanguinia posted:

I'm not going to lie, this disaster has me really afraid. This could rip open every wound in the Dem party base, and if Pete or anyone else tries to stoke that for an edge it could lead to the kind of primary that leaves the losers so bitter they ACTUALLY stay home.

Bernie or bust motherfuckers

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/lookner/status/1224590742892482561?s=20

:allears:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

You know you hosed up when Marianne loving Williamson is calling out your bullshit.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Has NH ever been taken to court over that law?

I’d kind of like to see a state do the same thing just to make a court invalidate both of them.

What reason would that make it to court, though?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1224594716479504384?s=20

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
LOL America please don’t do app voting.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Apocalypse posted:

-It's not the physical size of the US that is the main problem (though it is part of it). Its the different media markets. The country is divided into many different media markets and the campaigns must pay to advertise in each of them, when they are trying to win a nomination / election. Some markets are more expensive than others. Usually this is proportional to how many people live within a market (as far as I can tell). Having the candidates compete in small media markets at the start. like Iowa and New Hampshire, allows for cash-poor candidates to have a shot of attracting attention. Most candidates haven't even bothered to put up an ad in 85% of the country at this point, and that's a good thing.

This is like putting the world tiniest band-aid on the gaping festering cross-country wound that is the absurd piles of cash spent in US elections.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1224575849921499136?s=20

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hopefully I won't have to talk people out of internet voting for another few years

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

naw, he's just the figurehead. It's actually a state law that NH has to have the FITN primary, so when other states move their dates, NH by law has to go "oops, it's voting day!"

So... hypothetically, what would happen if another state also adopted a law like that? Would the election day instantly turn out to have been infinity days ago for both states?

Just seems weird to have a state law that implicitly binds other states.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
On the bright side: Sanders is still leading the betting markets, up to an all time high of 38%. Probably would have a bigger bounce if they didn’t gently caress this up. Biden is down from 30 to 18 and still in second place. Pete’s up a bunch

Now Bernie is the lone front runner and Biden is gonna collapse.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm still not convinced that the app fuckup was intentionally orchestrated to benefit Pete. Because I'm not seeing how it actually benefits Pete at all. We can be pretty confident that the actual delegate counts, once they actually get collected, can't have been faked, at least not on a systematic level. This changes the media narrative, and not, as far as I can imagine it, in a way that benefits Pete. If everything had gone off without a hitch, the media, with its "ignoring Bernie" blinders on, would have had two big stories out of the caucuses: 1. Biden collapses, and 2. Pete either wins or has an unexpectedly very strong second place. Now, with the app fuckup, the actual results, which are good for Pete, are falling by the wayside, and whatever momentum he was counting on getting out of Iowa has been severely blunted.

All these heavily politically connected idiots running Shadow Inc, is all obviously a prime example of the incestuous relationship between politics and business undermining democracy but I don't think this happened the way anyone wanted and I certainly don't think the app fuckup was planned to somehow benefit Pete, because, uh, it doesn't.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Sanguinia posted:

If Bernie doesn't win it I'm leaving the top of my ballot blank.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

We just wanted a little app voting. For a treat. :(

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

I mean hire some actual security pros to build a reliable one to start testing with. Not a partisan quack who's married to someone on the CIA candidates team.

"ACRONYM" hires "Shadow Inc" for "Mayor Pete".

Come on.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Atopian posted:

So... hypothetically, what would happen if another state also adopted a law like that? Would the election day instantly turn out to have been infinity days ago for both states?

Just seems weird to have a state law that implicitly binds other states.

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty confident that NH would probably attempt to get that law thrown out in the court system, fail because it's a dumb thing to argue about, then do/say something remarkably stupid

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Yeah, this seems like the most likely scenario for why they are now taking their sweet time to release any results at all: the app + phone line breakdown, in the face of accusations of deliberate unfairness (esp. in 2016) has scared the everliving gently caress out of the Democratic party, so they're carefully reviewing everything by hand and will release when it's all done and verified.

From a risk management perspective, it's probably the right move. At this point, a third major breakdown where they released wrong results because they were trying to be fast would be apocalyptic - like, it might actually destroy the state party and possibly the national party. It would be a coup for disinformation peddlers and would be a horrific own-goal in the effort to beat Trump.

It makes sense that someone would demand everything be done at turtle speed, making sure to check every detail and review things before stating anything publicly.

Speculation on my part. I have zero inside info.

Yeah, I am in agreement and it looks like that's exactly what they're doing over there, per

It's a bad look, but loving up in the attempt to restore confidence would be an unmitigated catastrophe. If they do this right, in time it'll be "lol remember when the Iowa Democrats screwed up?", if they get it wrong, well, apocalyptic would be the word.

E; this is of course WHY we have paper trails and a situation like this is precisely where a hand recount of this nature is needed.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

What???

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

im sorry that this happened

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
good news all. i am wholly convinced that bernie sanders is going to win, based on the simple premise that ratfucking him requires a baseline of competence

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I like the recursive voting day laws scenario. They should do it.

One state would have to break their law and then the whole state would have to go to jail.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
look at your hands. they are covered in the blood of god.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Djarum posted:

Exactly. Thankfully it seems that most of the public are at least becoming aware of the mess likely being Buttigieg's fault. He likely sunk now.

This will leave Bernie, Warren and Klob for NH. Biden might come back a bit with a Buttigieg implosion, but I think most of those votes would go to Warren or likely Klob.

Bloomberg is hoping for a Super Tuesday win right?

I don't know if the public is becoming aware. Political junkies may be, but I don't think a single TV station mentioned the campaign ties to the app maker. Campaign ties that were knowable before today, just no one looked into it.

And before people start accusing me of being a conspiracy theorist. I don't think this was the Buttigieg campaign going "let's steal some votes." But it speaks to the corruption at the core of the democratic party where the system of patronage is king, where I hire you as a consultant, so that you introduce me to your rich friends, and I hire their failson to a comfy gig, and I scratch your back and you scratch mine. Which means that I can then declare victory and I know I won't get any pushback because that system of patronage makes you as invested in me being seen as above board.

Apocalypse
Feb 27, 2004

No Men Here. Only Monsters.

eXXon posted:

This is like putting the world tiniest band-aid on the gaping festering cross-country wound that is the absurd piles of cash spent in US elections.

You're absolutely right. The only answer here is to get ALL money out of politics and have Publicly Financed Elections. I'm just trying to explain the system as it is now.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

joepinetree posted:

So, already everyone is absolutely certain that wrongdoing was involved. Everyone who isn't already a committed Democrat, thinks this is rigged.

When you say like, "if this were X, or Y, or Z, and not us, then we would think A" you can bet that X, Y, and Z think A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Theres a reason that civilized countries dont like spies involved in civil politics.