Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

maffew buildings posted:

They're going to have a contested convention or whatever it's called, do everything to ensure bernie doesn't get nominated, lose to trump again and then go haywire doing everything to prevent any more progressives/getting rid of the ones there. Everyone under 40 will be told this is our fault.

I hope I'm really wrong here but, well

They havent even hid it

https://twitter.com/donnabrazile/status/1033442716380803072?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
also as an aside I get really annoyed when I see people throwing around the term ratfucking these days because comparing the extremely mild poo poo the DNC has maybe done or is doing to the insane poo poo the Nixon campaign and CREEP were getting up to is like comparing a middle school play to loving Hamilton.

like, people, the DNC is not the most trustworthy or competent organization in the world, but wake me up when they start getting indicted on federal wiretapping charges, forging assassination orders from prior administrations to leak to the press, or planting opposing campaign materials in the homes of would-be political assassins.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

also as an aside I get really annoyed when I see people throwing around the term ratfucking these days because comparing the extremely mild poo poo the DNC has maybe done or is doing to the insane poo poo the Nixon campaign and CREEP were getting up to is like comparing a middle school play to loving Hamilton.

like, people, the DNC is not the most trustworthy or competent organization in the world, but wake me up when they start getting indicted on federal wiretapping charges, forging assassination orders from prior administrations to leak to the press, or planting opposing campaign materials in the homes of would-be political assassins.

Subversion of democracy doesn't meet your high standards for "political sabotage or dirty tricks?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Sabotaging the Vietnam peace talks

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

is this bullshit or nah

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/1224561674679488513

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

Subversion of democracy doesn't meet your high standards for "political sabotage or dirty tricks?"

What in the world do you think the DNC has done that is on the same level as forgery, wiretapping, burglary, or loving:

Platystemon posted:

Sabotaging the Vietnam peace talks

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Buttigieg has declared himself victor. No results have been announced.

He can go gently caress himself.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Looks legit. Ready for the cherry?

https://twitter.com/timtakestime/status/1224568968981237762?s=20

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What in the world do you think the DNC has done that is on the same level as forgery, wiretapping, burglary, or loving:

It doesn't have to be as bad as Nixon to still be really loving bad.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

this post has already potentially aged extremely badly

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
people only live in iowa to matter 1 time every 4 years

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

ded posted:

people only live in iowa to matter 1 time every 4 years

Hey.

Some of them really like corn.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

It doesn't have to be as bad as Nixon to still be really loving bad.

hmm yes, all the things the DNC has done like... changing some debate rules to let the guy no one likes anyway on stage. a miscarriage of democracy, for sure.

gently caress I hate all this conspiratorial poo poo. Like tonight, old people who don't understand technology placed their faith in an app and didn't properly vet it or test it. This isn't hard to understand, but loving everyone is jumping at the bit to declare the DNC (an organization that isn't even running this election!) is somehow rigging results in one of the only loving elections where you can see how people voted.

e: https://twitter.com/NYTnickc/status/1224570775719632897?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Also: Sanders' internal numbers:

https://twitter.com/PhilipWegmann/status/1224578978767347713?s=19

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

skeptical about those too, tbh

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Speaking as an Unamerican, what would happen if Bernie decided to ditch the Democrats and run as an Independent?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm skeptical that Iowa even exists.

WE'RE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS PEOPLE

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hannibal Rex posted:

Speaking as an Unamerican, what would happen if Bernie decided to ditch the Democrats and run as an Independent?

He'd lose and take the Democratic nominee with him. See also 1992 (Clinton, Bush, and Perot), and 1912 (Roosevelt, Taft, and Wilson. Probably the most relevant example - Taft was the incumbent but Roosevelt wanted a third term and walked out of the convention when the party decided to nominate Taft in spite of Roosevelt's popular support, and then Roosevelt and Taft ended up splitting the Republican and Progressive votes, allowing Wilson to win a plurality in enough states to take the Electoral College).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hannibal Rex posted:

There are Sore Loser laws that would keep him off the ballot in many states.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Don't put words in my mouth. "Ratfucking" is a big loving circle and both fall under it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm skeptical that Iowa even exists.

WE'RE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS PEOPLE

If this singlehandedly kills the Iowa caucus, which it's looking like it will, then it may very well have been worth it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

shame Abbie Hoffman isn't still around, he'd show you folks what a real contested convention looks like.

One good thing might come out of this mess at least:

https://twitter.com/hunterw/status/1224564089898393602?s=19

Good. gently caress the Iowa caucus, gently caress caucusing in general, it's literally one of the stupidest ways to primary that I've ever loving heard of.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If this singlehandedly kills the Iowa caucus, which it's looking like it will, then it may very well have been worth it.

Hmmmm...yes worth it for sure

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

Don't put words in my mouth. "Ratfucking" is a big loving circle and both fall under it.

I mean the problem here is that, while I understand what you're saying, if the definition of Ratfucking has become so large that it encompasses everything to "mildly objectionable actions by a political body" to "federal crimes that have been undertaken to undermine or discredit a candidate," it's a worthless definition.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the hits start coming and they don't stop coming

https://twitter.com/varun_mathur/status/1224564143497322496

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Patware posted:

the hits start coming and they don't stop coming

https://twitter.com/varun_mathur/status/1224564143497322496

Whatever this was, it's gone now.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean the problem here is that, while I understand what you're saying, if the definition of Ratfucking has become so large that it encompasses everything to "mildly objectionable actions by a political body" to "federal crimes that have been undertaken to undermine or discredit a candidate," it's a worthless definition.

I get your point, but it sure as poo poo looks like the DNC is trying to deny Sanders the nomination despite what primary voters want. That's definitely ratfucking.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Ratfucking” was first used in student elections.

I can’t say I know exactly how cutthroat elections were at the University of Southern California, but I think it’s safe to say that they were less serious than the things Nixon got up to.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The Iowa caucus being an absolute shitshow for the democrats is one of the most mundane things that I had expected in 2020 so good show!

Also Bernie would of/could of/should of won/win

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

McNally posted:

it looked like screenshots of the app that caused the whole mess, which looked horrific and glitchy, but current word is nobody was actually able to source it so it was probably misinformation i got too excited by

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Platystemon posted:

I can’t say I know exactly how cutthroat elections were at the University of Southern California, but I think it’s safe to say that they were less serious than the things Nixon got up to.

It comes from those student elections because the participants of those elections are the ones who went on to run Nixon's campaign.

McNally posted:

I get your point, but it sure as poo poo looks like the DNC is trying to deny Sanders the nomination despite what primary voters want. That's definitely ratfucking.

The tweet was a screenshot claiming to be the app used, but from what I've seen on Twitter tonight I think they accidentally posted a screenshot of the app Sanders used.

As to the DNC... look, I honestly don't think they are. I think that Tom Perez et al are trying to play a balancing act between donors angry they aren't shutting down Sanders, and Sanders supporters who are convinced the DNC is trying to shut them down. It's a thankless task made more difficult by the many different organizations that actually make up the Democratic Party, who all have different leadership, agendas, and levels of competency (see: what the Iowa Democratic Party managed to do tonight). It's also made more difficult by people influential in the party who are desperate to stay relevant (see: the superdelegates who got mad they couldn't vote on the first ballot anymore) and the insane, out-of-touch idiots and donors who think they know best for the party.

Like, the poo poo with Mike Bloomberg getting a spot on the debate stage? I honestly think it's more likely that there's a greater chance that decision was made not to hurt Bernie (because remember, it hurts every other candidate on that stage as well), but to sooth Bloomberg and deter him from deciding to mount a third party run if he doesn't win (Which would absolutely hurt the Democratic Party up and down the ticket).

I dunno. I don't usually see conspiracies. I see people and organizations with goals and agendas that are often confused and self-defeating, where any attempt to mount a conspiracy in the first place would easily be defeated by their many, many weak links.

basically, I think it's more likely that people are morons as opposed to malicious (or both, in which case they will often just straight up tell you how malicious they are). There are times that I'm wrong. But I don't think this is one of those times.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

I think acebuckeye13 is becoming frustrated about something real (the exaggerative nature of literally everything so much so OED had to add new meaning for the word literally), even if those frustrations were lexically misdirected.

Edit: beated by the 13th Ohioan themself.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the bloomberg stuff, i think there's a component where they might think ti'll ding bernie, but what it actually is is handing bernie a billionaire with weak policies to wall bounce and do OTG bionic arms to

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Guys, I’m starting to think that maybe there shouldn’t always be an App For That.

Or that our primary/electoral system is in need of a massive, massive overhaul.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Or that our primary/electoral system is in need of a massive, massive overhaul.

Nope, sorry, this is What the Founding Fathers Intended™.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hey remember when the machines taking over in the matrix was A Bad Thing? Would it really be tho?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Stravag posted:

Hey remember when the machines taking over in the matrix was A Bad Thing? Would it really be tho?

Depends if they're coded by a bunch of college grads in a WeWork under conditions that would probably constitute labor violations in most countries while the billionaire angel investor says "No time for QC get it out!"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Don Dongington posted:

Depends if they're coded by a bunch of college grads in a WeWork under conditions that would probably constitute labor violations in most countries while the billionaire angel investor says "No time for QC get it out!"

The only weakness of Asimov's Three Laws

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah but the machines took over the coding and cut humans out of the loop which is where their advancement came from. Atleast the newcomers took care of the wealth gap*

*Wealth gap being taken of may not being noticeable to humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Some unverified twitter has claims of buttigeig attempting to gently caress with the vote but caught by warren/klob people.

Bernie’s internals (last I saw) had him winning with ~30% of the popular vote and 26% of the delegates because caucuses are dumb.

The iowa DNC is going over everything by hand because of major issues with the app they bought and apparently some places did not do their second phase of voting right. Everything is a shitshow.