Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

amigolupus posted:

Kamille really, really wanting to punch fascist space-cops makes him the most relatable protagonist in all of Gundam.

despite being kinda whiny and violent kamille's greivances are often correct, which is why the adults in his life have to resort to beating him up because they can't refute him

e: also "someone resorting to violence when faced with truths they don't want to look at" is like char's entire life post-lalah so that probably didn't help

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
For me, Kamille's relationship with Emma never hit that "mom replacement or girlfriend?" zone. It seemed more like it was "my cool older sister" thing to me. Reccoa def pinged the replacement mom/girlfriend for me along with Fa. Fa's storyline in general feels the weakest but she gets some of the strongest moments in back half of the series.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Miching Mallecho posted:

I regret not getting the gundam dynasty warrior games when I had my PS3

https://youtu.be/5iqaZoiL1as

They were pretty good, I loved the bits where characters from other continuities interacted. The camera was a nightmare though.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yinlock posted:

despite being kinda whiny and violent kamille's greivances are often correct, which is why the adults in his life have to resort to beating him up because they can't refute him

e: also "someone resorting to violence when faced with truths they don't want to look at" is like char's entire life post-lalah so that probably didn't help

I still remember that stupid scene where Wong beat up Kamille for coming back with a Haro. Kamille was all, "I thought this Haro might be the exact same one that Amuro Ray had lost in the OYW. Also, it's my free time and I can spend it wherever I want" and absolutely didn't deserve to take Wong's bullshit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like in Bandit Flower how the Atlas Gundam has the ludicrously big shield/gun/snowboard attachments and then it loses them almost immediately in combat.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like in Bandit Flower how the Atlas Gundam has the ludicrously big shield/gun/snowboard attachments and then it loses them almost immediately in combat.

Later on in the manga he gets a team of support MS who carry extra guns for him

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Later on in the manga he gets a team of support MS who carry extra guns for him

"A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? Io Flemming, himself. First son of Otto Flemming. The spiky hair, the grace, jazz... striking. So, I'm on the first raid with him. I give him the railgun. He hauls off and launches a Zaku - big hitter, Io - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Io says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Io, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you see beyond the time." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

"A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? Io Flemming, himself. First son of Otto Flemming. The spiky hair, the grace, jazz... striking. So, I'm on the first raid with him. I give him the railgun. He hauls off and launches a Zaku - big hitter, Io - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Io says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Io, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you see beyond the time." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

What reference are you making? I have gaps in my pop culture knowledge sometimes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

What reference are you making? I have gaps in my pop culture knowledge sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X48G7Y0VWW4

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks, I shamefully haven’t seen that one.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

General Revil but he's played by Rodney Dangerfield

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

jackhunter64 posted:

Ah, his famous speech, Zeon? Gimme a break!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

jackhunter64 posted:

Steamed hams but it was Char's plan all along?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Twilight Axis really lives up to the reputation of never having heard anyone say anything about it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Twilight Axis really lives up to the reputation of never having heard anyone say anything about it.
It's often difficult to remember it even exists.

Anyways now that it's wrapped up and I finally got around to finishing it, I'm pretty confident in saying that Gundam vs. Hello Kitty is objectively the best Gundam show of the last 25 years.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 5, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Why

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's got Amuro getting paranoid over Hello Kitty. Literally no other Gundam series has done that. Its breaking new ground.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

People said plenty when it was coming out.

Like "Huh?" and "What?" and "No, seriously. That's it?"

It's based on a novel from the team behind Plot to Assassinate Gihren, but the presentation makes it pretty rough to figure out the plot, or to care about any of it. Some Japan Animator Expo shorts may make it look easy to tell a story in less than half an hour, but it's not, especially not a story with as much going on as Twilight Axis.

I'm sure the novel is better, and it's nice to have an animated Gundam with a female main protagonist, but man. That was a mess.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I managed to get a cheap copy of Gundam Breaker 3: Break Edition from the Signapore PSN store, and I just beat the local tournament or whatever it was (With the mobile armor, so after the PG). Skipping most of the story cause who cares ofc. :v:

That said any tips for this game? I think I get the basics of mashing spare pieces together to make them better and stuff. My endgoal is some form of unholy lovechild of the Nu, HeavyArms Custom, Kshatriya and whatever else has a shitton of missiles and funnels; I hope that's viable. :v:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

People said plenty when it was coming out.

Like "Huh?" and "What?" and "No, seriously. That's it?"

It's based on a novel from the team behind Plot to Assassinate Gihren, but the presentation makes it pretty rough to figure out the plot, or to care about any of it. Some Japan Animator Expo shorts may make it look easy to tell a story in less than half an hour, but it's not, especially not a story with as much going on as Twilight Axis.

I'm sure the novel is better, and it's nice to have an animated Gundam with a female main protagonist, but man. That was a mess.

They had 25 minutes across five episodes to tell a story. They decided that every episode should include flashbacks and flash forwards to scenes from other episodes. That is not a wise use of time.

And considering how the Gunpla line for Twilight Axis went, it almost seems like someone at the top hated Twilight Axis and intentionally did a poor job on the whole thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

They had 25 minutes across five episodes to tell a story. They decided that every episode should include flashbacks and flash forwards to scenes from other episodes. That is not a wise use of time.

And considering how the Gunpla line for Twilight Axis went, it almost seems like someone at the top hated Twilight Axis and intentionally did a poor job on the whole thing.

No publicity, weird format, and the visuals looked extremely cheap in every regard. Definitely didn't feel like a labour of love.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

LibrarianCroaker posted:

It would be cool if it were say a student film. It’s not, so 👐

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cross Rays is getting a lot of units, isn't it? I didn't know X had a sequel before this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqQP7BPfsiM

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So that was for the next two dlc packs? That's a lot of awesome stuff.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Dang, they recast Yuki Mizutani's Carris with Sheryl Nome's voice actress!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

EthanSteele posted:

Dang, they recast Yuki Mizutani's Carris with Sheryl Nome's voice actress!

Isn't the original va dead though?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Monaghan posted:

Yep, Mizutani died in 2016. This isn't the first time Aya Endo has been tapped to play Carris either apparently, she played that him in Gundam ExV2.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 8, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, this is well trodden ground, but I was just looking at some SEED designs and... man. SEED is dumb, isn't it?

I don't mean the usual complaints, even. I was more looking at the little knives on the Impulse. (And the beam boomerangs, but that's more classic super robot goofy).

Most Gundam shows, when the new superweapons and powers come up, everyone kind of adapts to them, so that whatever made the Gundam special starts showing up on enemy ace units and, eventually, grunts. It's a bit that makes the show feel grounded, having action and response rather than the MS design just existing for the purposes of selling model kits.

SEED Destiny, meanwhile, keeps Phase Shift as a thing exclusively for the Gundams, without mass production. It's still having solid weapons as a regular thing, even as it establishes that phase shift is a technology small enough to fit on a Mobile Suit. It's not a worldbuilding point as much as it's a handwave for why the heroes are invincible until they aren't. Instead of the world catching up with the heroes, the gap gets wider.

Just... odd little things.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

You know, this is well trodden ground, but I was just looking at some SEED designs and... man. SEED is dumb, isn't it?

I don't mean the usual complaints, even. I was more looking at the little knives on the Impulse. (And the beam boomerangs, but that's more classic super robot goofy).

Most Gundam shows, when the new superweapons and powers come up, everyone kind of adapts to them, so that whatever made the Gundam special starts showing up on enemy ace units and, eventually, grunts. It's a bit that makes the show feel grounded, having action and response rather than the MS design just existing for the purposes of selling model kits.

SEED Destiny, meanwhile, keeps Phase Shift as a thing exclusively for the Gundams, without mass production. It's still having solid weapons as a regular thing, even as it establishes that phase shift is a technology small enough to fit on a Mobile Suit. It's not a worldbuilding point as much as it's a handwave for why the heroes are invincible until they aren't. Instead of the world catching up with the heroes, the gap gets wider.

Just... odd little things.

That’s one of my favorite bits about Gundam 00, how the various human factions start taking notes about everything, there was one fight that was instigated just so that there would be some paint transfer from one of the gundams to analyze and so on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Solkanar512 posted:

That’s one of my favorite bits about Gundam 00, how the various human factions start taking notes about everything, there was one fight that was instigated just so that there would be some paint transfer from one of the gundams to analyze and so on.

I really love when shows actually "ground" super-technology/gimmicks rather than deifying them. One of my favourite similar bits in Gundam 00 was one of the Earth factions going "okay, we know that whatever those things emit fucks with radio transmissions. So we're gonna blanket a stretch of space with basic transmitters and see which ones suddenly stop talking". GN Particles are really great as a whole, at least in season one, because while they're really powerful they also have pretty hard rules that can be taken advantage of once they're known.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

There's an in-setting reason, at least. Phase Shift is still a power hog of a feature and almost every mobile suit is still running on batteries in Destiny. Even the Impulse/Gaia/Chaos/Abyss are running on batteries, they're just running on newfangled Deuterion batteries that can be recharged remotely by the Minerva.

The wackier thing to me is how the Archangel's special thing was having beam-resistant laminate armor which is never applied to any other battleship besides the Dominion.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really love when shows actually "ground" super-technology/gimmicks rather than deifying them. One of my favourite similar bits in Gundam 00 was one of the Earth factions going "okay, we know that whatever those things emit fucks with radio transmissions. So we're gonna blanket a stretch of space with basic transmitters and see which ones suddenly stop talking". GN Particles are really great as a whole, at least in season one, because while they're really powerful they also have pretty hard rules that can be taken advantage of once they're known.

It still breaks my heart that all of the effort to ground GN particles in a basic level of pseudoscience and consistency is thrown out the window in season 2, where they basically become magic pixie dust.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

The wackier thing to me is how the Archangel's special thing was having beam-resistant laminate armor which is never applied to any other battleship besides the Dominion.

It's probably expensive as hell, and in terms of cost much cheaper to just build better Mobile Suits. It's a classic battleship vs fighter squadron problem.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Every faction in Destiny fields beam weaponry as standard so Phase Shift Armour is a luxury that simply doesn't make sense to mass produce, the only things that continue to have it are either nuclear powered one of a kind units or prototypes built for the Minerva's wireless refueling system where it's cost and major downsides don't matter

It does functionally turn it into an extra special Main Character Defense System but it makes sense why it's not used elsewhere

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's probably expensive as hell, and in terms of cost much cheaper to just build better Mobile Suits. It's a classic battleship vs fighter squadron problem.

The classic battleship vs fighter squadron problem presumes that it's possible for ships to engage from far beyond visual range, where the individual combat and defensive capability of the carrier is muted because it rarely gets involved in combat itself so it's kind of pointless to make the carrier itself better at dealing and absorbing damage past a certain point. Gundam battleships tend to actually be in there mixing it up.

Battleships themselves are a titanic investment. If we attempt to apply any sense of real world cost proportions to Gundam(lol at the idea but bear with me here) with battleships being like real-life carriers and mobile suits being like real-life fighter jets, a modern carrier capable of carrying fighter jets is many times more expensive than even the most luxurious money pit of a fighter squadron. One of the U.S. navy's fancy new Ford-class carriers - probably the closest real-life analogy to something like the Archangel - clocks in at between ten and fourteen billion dollars per depending on specific loadout. The massively overbloated F35 project runs $90-125 million per plane, or the princely F22 runs about $150 million per plane.

This is, of course, before you factor in that most Gundam battleships, especially in SEED, are also fully-featured gun platforms with their own fancy weapons instead of simple carriers, which is gonna drive the price up. It seems like the only sane decision possible is to protect this level of investment with every possible means to avoid losing the whole shebang(possibly including still-docked mobile suits) to a random beam shot.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Monaghan posted:

Yes, it was a more a thing where I was glad they recast her with another really good voice actress.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

From the Pop Team Epic guy's twitter

https://twitter.com/bkub_comic/status/1226133333911846913?s=19

The faces are just perfect!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RillAkBea posted:

From the Pop Team Epic guy's twitter

https://twitter.com/bkub_comic/status/1226133333911846913?s=19

The faces are just perfect!

He's doing a comic about various Sunrise series. Flipping through them now, it' looks like it's currently on Gundam 00, and before that it was Overman King Gainer, and before that Victory Gundam

https://twitter.com/yatate_hajime/status/1225615164113743875?s=20

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

The classic battleship vs fighter squadron problem presumes that it's possible for ships to engage from far beyond visual range, where the individual combat and defensive capability of the carrier is muted because it rarely gets involved in combat itself so it's kind of pointless to make the carrier itself better at dealing and absorbing damage past a certain point. Gundam battleships tend to actually be in there mixing it up.

Battleships themselves are a titanic investment. If we attempt to apply any sense of real world cost proportions to Gundam(lol at the idea but bear with me here) with battleships being like real-life carriers and mobile suits being like real-life fighter jets, a modern carrier capable of carrying fighter jets is many times more expensive than even the most luxurious money pit of a fighter squadron. One of the U.S. navy's fancy new Ford-class carriers - probably the closest real-life analogy to something like the Archangel - clocks in at between ten and fourteen billion dollars per depending on specific loadout. The massively overbloated F35 project runs $90-125 million per plane, or the princely F22 runs about $150 million per plane.

This is, of course, before you factor in that most Gundam battleships, especially in SEED, are also fully-featured gun platforms with their own fancy weapons instead of simple carriers, which is gonna drive the price up. It seems like the only sane decision possible is to protect this level of investment with every possible means to avoid losing the whole shebang(possibly including still-docked mobile suits) to a random beam shot.

You can functionally achieve the same results for most combat missions as something like the Archangel or Dominion with a basic transport and a bunch of DJINN's/GM's/Grunt of choice lashed to the sides for a fraction of the cost to manufacture and repair/replace them. Remember that what actually kept the Archangel safe for most of its operational time onscreen was Kira swatting every Mobile Suit that so much as looked at it during combat.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

why didn't the federation's a baoa qu "some cheap rear end metal boxes that we attached thrusters to, with some ropes hanging off the sides to tie more robots on with" plan become the standard shipbuilding plan for all future conflicts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

why didn't the federation's a baoa qu "some cheap rear end metal boxes that we attached thrusters to, with some ropes hanging off the sides to tie more robots on with" plan become the standard shipbuilding plan for all future conflicts?

You mean Base Jabbers and Balls? :v: