Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I never doubted that Tobi would be Obito and I'll never doubt Dad for One theories or Dabi Todoroki.

Dad for One is a popular theory that's mostly built off of circumstantial evidence and gut feeling. That said, people saying it can't be true because some omakes and guidebooks say otherwise are being naive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

It would suck because it'd add nothing. It's a much better story if they are not related at all

in fact it would be detrimental to the storytelling because that'd mean our protagonist became who is because of nepotism

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nephthys posted:

I never doubted that Tobi would be Obito

Just because Naruto's writer was bad doesn't mean Horikoshi is.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fartbox posted:

Why do dads always have to be someone special. I hope his dad is just "some guy"

All Might is the surrogate father figure anyway

I think it's the lack of details that causes people to speculate wildly. All we know about him is his name, quirk, and that he "works overseas", and that last part is just from Inko's character profile from one of the volumes. With so little information out there, it leads people to try and fill the gaps with all kinds of ideas. The fact that Deku never talks or thinks about his dad in any way is a bit weird. Even something as simple as a family picture or a scene of Deku talking to him on the phone or something would probably cut down on the speculation a lot.

I don't want him to be All For One, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's more important that just some guy.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Deku's dad is Van Hohenheim, and when we finally see him in a family photo he'll be shooting waterfalls out of his eyes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

PMush Perfect posted:

Needing to overexplain and overconnect everything is what ruined the Star Wars prequels,

and naruto
and bleach
and most shonen series, really

Hell, I still don't like Yusuke's dad reveal in Yu Yu Hakusho. Stop being related to people, everyone. Thanks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like it when parents are just average everyday people who are proud of their Protagonist child and love and support them and aren't killed for cheap drama or raised stakes

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vinylshadow posted:

I like it when parents are just average everyday people who are proud of their Protagonist child and love and support them and aren't killed for cheap drama or raised stakes

I'm trying really hard to think of a battle shonen where this is the case and failing, other than this one.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Deku's dad will be a villain who is also proud of his son and loves and supports him.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It turns out All For One is everyone's dad.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All For One is like 200 years old, he's very likely to be everyone's grandpa and also dad.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

and naruto
and bleach
and most shonen series, really

Hell, I still don't like Yusuke's dad reveal in Yu Yu Hakusho. Stop being related to people, everyone. Thanks.

That wasn't his actual dad. Just an ancestor.

Vinylshadow posted:

Mito-san will not die and is very proud of her dumb idiot son.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

NikkolasKing posted:

How popular is the theory that All for One is Deku's father? My GF is very big on this. I was talking to her about the theories for why AFO's theme plays when Deku fought Overhaul and that was her input.

AFO's theme plays because the mood of the scene is from Overhaul's perspective. Between that and Deku silhouetted before knocking off his mask, it frames how terrifying Deku (and All Might by extension) would be to a villain at full power. Even the shot of Overhaul's face looks wide-eyed and scared.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kild posted:

Mito-san will not die and is very proud of her dumb idiot son.

She's Gon's aunt though (and adoptive mother), and his father is very much not an average person and very dubious on whether he loves and supports his son.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Deku's dad will be a villain who is also proud of his son and loves and supports him.

So just like the bard's father in Order of the Stick?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

Deku's Mom confirmed for Final Boss

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

All For One is Deku's dad and he is defeated when Inko files for divorce and takes half his stuff as well as custody of the kids(the League of Villains are the kids).

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
It turns out Deku's mom never had a husband. She was impregnated by midichlorians to create balance in the Force some funky power AfO has.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rhonne posted:

All For One is Deku's dad and he is defeated when Inko files for divorce and takes half his stuff as well as custody of the kids(the League of Villains are the kids).

Inko takes half his powers, gets actual AfO in the mix, becomes the next major villain

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The only way to prevent her son from crippling himself..... is to cripple him herself. :black101:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A Bug posted:

AFO's theme plays because the mood of the scene is from Overhaul's perspective. Between that and Deku silhouetted before knocking off his mask, it frames how terrifying Deku (and All Might by extension) would be to a villain at full power. Even the shot of Overhaul's face looks wide-eyed and scared.

I understand. I agree with that interpretation, too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NikkolasKing posted:

I understand. I agree with that interpretation, too.
This is also supported by the way Deku's eyes glow in a very "All Might getting serious" way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I never doubted that Tobi would be Obito and I'll never doubt Dad for One theories or Dabi Todoroki.

Dad for One is a popular theory that's mostly built off of circumstantial evidence and gut feeling. That said, people saying it can't be true because some omakes and guidebooks say otherwise are being naive.

See, Dabi's a good one to bring up because it's basically the opposite of Dad for One as far as the evidence goes. We keep getting increasingly large hints at there being some story behind Dabi, and that it connects somehow with the drama from the other fire powered characters.

Meanwhile, the evidence for Dad for One is that we haven't seen Deku's dad, and "Star Wars?". To the limited extent there's been anything referencing it, it's been negative. There's been no odd glances from All for One to Deku, no talk about how Deku's dad stopped sending letters after All for One was arrested, no nothing. There's probably going to be something done with Deku's dad, but I'd think there'd be more groundwork if that was going to be the reveal. I'd sooner bet on Uraraka and Shigaraki being related since they both need to use all five fingers for their quirks.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Deku's father is one of 2 things

1. Just some poor schlub keeping his family well cared for with money from his overseas job. This is less suspicious, I imagine, to Japanese audiences than American ones. It's an archetype in Japanese media.

2. Some mid to low level villain in keeping his family well cared for with money from his overseas crimes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What hints have we gotten with dabi

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I still think people are reaching with the Dabi theory.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Well, the main one is him being the only member of the league of villains whose name is still unknown, and who very specifically didn't meet Endeavor. But we also hear things like that one year a work study went really bad, and Dabi joined up after Stain's speeches, when Stain was noted as going after the former number 2 hero.

It's not thick on the ground, exactly, but there's enough to hint something's going on.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, the main one is him being the only member of the league of villains whose name is still unknown, and who very specifically didn't meet Endeavor. But we also hear things like that one year a work study went really bad, and Dabi joined up after Stain's speeches, when Stain was noted as going after the former number 2 hero.

It's not thick on the ground, exactly, but there's enough to hint something's going on.

Maybe all the burns are from him being pushed too far by Endeavor but his lack of an ice quirk to regulate his body caused the injuries. And thus Endeavor concluded he was no good and moved on to Shoto.

Dabi also specifically mocks Shoto when he sees him.

chiasaur11 posted:

See, Dabi's a good one to bring up because it's basically the opposite of Dad for One as far as the evidence goes. We keep getting increasingly large hints at there being some story behind Dabi, and that it connects somehow with the drama from the other fire powered characters.

Meanwhile, the evidence for Dad for One is that we haven't seen Deku's dad, and "Star Wars?". To the limited extent there's been anything referencing it, it's been negative. There's been no odd glances from All for One to Deku, no talk about how Deku's dad stopped sending letters after All for One was arrested, no nothing. There's probably going to be something done with Deku's dad, but I'd think there'd be more groundwork if that was going to be the reveal. I'd sooner bet on Uraraka and Shigaraki being related since they both need to use all five fingers for their quirks.

Maybe it's not Dad for One but his doctor being AFO's Doctor can't just be a coincidence.

Maybe Deku had a Quirk that AFO stole. Maybe that's their relationship. But there must be some relationship thre.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

ninjewtsu posted:

Dabi is the only League member who's name isn't known.

His stated reason for joining the League is Stain's speach but has never shown any sort of care for changing society or idiolisation of him like Spinner or Toga, so people take the part of the speach insulting Endeavor as what drew him in.

He very specifically called out Todoroki to taunt him when they took Bakugo.

Todoroki has a second brother who is only vaguely mentioned and who's face is never shown.

Some manga stuff that hasn't happened in the anime yet which implies a connection to Endeavor beyond a fire quirk with the same drawbacks.

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe it's not Dad for One but his doctor being AFO's Doctor can't just be a coincidence.
They're never actually shown to be the same person, when AFO's doctor is named it's a different name to Deku's one so until something comes up they're only two characters who look similar. Especially as one is from the first chapter. Manga writers who arn't sure whether there series will get picked up will tend to have the first few chapters be test chapters to gaugue audiences so will have slight differences in characterisation or world building that later gets retconned or adjusted (see Bakugo being a much more extreme rear end in a top hat in the first chapter). A manga author reusing a character design from their first chapter for another character later on is really that outlandish.

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe Deku had a Quirk that AFO stole. Maybe that's their relationship. But there must be some relationship there.
That's a stupid idea. They have a relationship, Deku is the mentee of AFO's biggest enemy, the inheritor of the power he made that has always been the thorn in his side and is destined to be the primary enemy of AFO's mentee.

TheKirbs fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 5, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I guess there could be satisfying parallel - All for One's heir being connected to All Might and vice versa. But All For One is like a century old and spent most of it running crime rings, I doubt he has many personal relationships, especially that would be unremarkable for an average teenager.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
All For One being Deku's dad would be the dumbest poo poo. Dude is like ninety years old.

There's nothing in the story that textually supports it, no important thematic element it would get across. It's just fans wanting to "outsmart" the story because the most important thing is proving You Called It online.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
While I do think that AFO having a child may or may not happen, I do agree that AFO being Hisashi Midoriya is dumb.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I feel that if AfO did have any kids he wouldn't need Shigaraki

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I was really hoping the dabi theory would have anything approaching substance to it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

I feel that if AfO did have any kids he wouldn't need Shigaraki

Well he apparently only took Tomura in to gently caress with All Might but later on came to the conclusion Tomura's personality or Quirk or both lent themselves to making him the future embodiment of villainy. There's something special about Shigaraki.

Even if All forOne had his own son, maybe the kid would turn out more like his uncle and be a decent person. Shigaraki was more amenable to being groomed and "evolving" into the next generation of villain.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

All For One being Deku's dad would be the dumbest poo poo. Dude is like ninety years old.

There's nothing in the story that textually supports it, no important thematic element it would get across. It's just fans wanting to "outsmart" the story because the most important thing is proving You Called It online.

ah his parents dont matter... but his grandparent...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kild posted:

ah his parents dont matter... but his grandparent...

Horikoshi pulled that one before Star Wars too. We haven't had much about Shigaraki's parents in the anime. It's his grandma that matters.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

probably closer to 150-200

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What is the year in MHA anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The current year is measured by the epoch of the arrival of All Might. Like you would ABY/BBY in a Star Wars timeline.

It’s something like 16 AAM