Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

has chris decided if all the rays should be traced yet? will they have to start over for that?
just get ryan archer back for that, problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jarlywarly posted:

Isn't the inherent problem that the types of encounters/fights/time to kill etc need to be very different for an MMO where you can't just respawn in a few seconds than an arena type shooter. So what really are you learning about combat design and balancing etc that you can apply to the MMO?

Yeah this is definitely a thing.

But it doesn't even matter because they definitely aren't learning poo poo from arena stuff that they could apply to the MMO. The MMO is so far from even being in a point where that would matter.

The arena stuff is purely tech demos made to keep the backers happy and drive more pledges / spaceship jpg sales. That's it. Any pretense of it being a "mode" for the final game is utter bullshit.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Der Shovel posted:

I am also 100% this is what life at CIG is like, because their scope keeps growing, features keep changing and Croberts has people redoing poo poo for the sixth time.

And their hardcore fans endorse every wasteful, dysfunctional bit of it

... as Twerk does in his latest weekly recap. He’s troubled not a bit by Chris micromanaging the fashion concepts for an upcoming landing zone. Why shouldn’t Chris be intimately involved in every fashion design choice of his fantastically late, historically costly, and painfully downsized game — its his VISION!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Micromanaging costume choices is a hallmark of a successful hollywood director!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Micromanaging costume choices is a hallmark of a successful hollywood director!

And yet this particular one urges that people should not blame him for the Kilrathi puppets in the Magnus Opum ‘wing commander’.

Whatever went wrong?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Everything good was me! Everything bad was totally not me though, some other guy did that.

Like yeah I totally knew the Kilrathi puppets were dumb but I told this guy uhhhhh Biff Toberts, I was like "Biff we gotta change these!" but ole Biff was in love with the design, he wouldn't change it, my hands were tied!

Its not like I was the director or anything.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

G0RF posted:

And their hardcore fans endorse every wasteful, dysfunctional bit of it

... as Twerk does in his latest weekly recap. He’s troubled not a bit by Chris micromanaging the fashion concepts for an upcoming landing zone. Why shouldn’t Chris be intimately involved in every fashion design choice of his fantastically late, historically costly, and painfully downsized game — its his VISION!

Twerkums has an amazing ability to turn frowns upside down every time "challenging news" is all there is to discuss. He usually begins angry and pissed off, then downgrades himself to disappointed, and finally resolves his acceptance of the chocolate ration being increased from one half to one third by praising all the information that isn't included, because it could be really really good stuff, and we just don't know.

In the meltdownapalooza which will inevitably occur when the whole thing has undeniably liquefied before all eyes, my money is on the salty one to put on the best show. We will smell what this Florida Man has really been cooking all along. Just like when daddy's evenrude powered mobile lab caught the youngin's birthday clown on fire. Kerosene and greasepaint. Skin grafts and regret. These are but a few of my favorite things.

BG will host a 42 day sob-athon; Nooblins will say "these things happen" in just under 9 seconds; and all the rest will show us pictures of their kids hanging holiday decorations (because when you get right down to it, that's what this project was about all along), or grainy video from the latest pin the tail on the Lesnick Bah Citizen grope. The tears will flow and be delicious and the marginal sucker will have been saved some money which can then be used to kick start daddy's new lab. The circle of life shall begin again.

ClownBobo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 4, 2020

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUafzOXHPE&t=68s

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

It's not funny if you just make them up yourself.

Right?

Right?

Please?

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

ClownBobo posted:

Twerkums has an amazing ability to turn frowns upside down every time "challenging news" is all there is to discuss. He usually begins angry and pissed off, then downgrades himself to disappointed, and finally resolves his acceptance of the chocolate ration being increased from one half to one third by praising all the information that isn't included, because it could be really really good stuff, and we just don't know.
I watched some of his stream last week *almost* admitting the truth, then visibly slump and admit he was "going down with this game" or something similar. It was this game or nothing, it was SC and that was it, he'd basically go down with the ship.

And this week the faith has been somewhat restored from the little I saw, or at least he's managed to bury reality again and convince himself SOMEHOW that they aren't lying again in the roadmap.

In the same stream he seemed to excuse this 'going down with SC' attitude by pointing out he doesn't need his twitch streaming income, having a real job, unlike *cough*Saurus*cough* certain other SC streamers.

Some of the other stuff he said actually made me sad for him, could have gone back to school but decided to stick with SC ...

I actually hope the guy gets the gently caress out.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The comedy is too good for these guys to /refund.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I can't imagine what it's like to be so lacking in self-awareness that you would A) make this and then B) post it somewhere

throw this person in a well

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bronze Fonz posted:

Could the whole POV be tied to the player character's eyeballs?

Now you're thinking like Crobbler!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I look forward to the return of Star Kitty.

"There are no limits to your creativity"... but its easier just to rip off other things.

Signed

Ryan Archer

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Cutlass are Red, Cutlass are Blue,
None of them work,
So gently caress you.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Wasn't the whole point of the new game mode to give their top shill something to play that might actually look like content? What's the point now that he's moved on?

Looking forward to the new top shill moving in some time soon.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

starkebn posted:

Wasn't the whole point of the new game mode to give their top shill something to play that might actually look like content? What's the point now that he's moved on?

Looking forward to the new top shill moving in some time soon.

Top shill will surprisingly return, with renewed enthusiasm, once the check clears new game mode is released

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
alarming

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Put the text over the Wuldge picture, and it's the same.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

I'm so tired. So tired I didn't make a death count for new years 2020. Sorry. How are things going nowadays?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I'm glad these people are contained in SC and they show no interest in other games

On the other hand, I pity the employee that has to go through those pics.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 4, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Dear Valentine, You're like a Cutlass Black to me. Both make me think of the inevitable consequences of piracy.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

I might not understand romance development...

I might also not be the best marketer in the world.

These valenties day sale / competitions are hosed up. It's just reeks of desperate random latching onto anything that might generate any interest at all.

Just lets some crazy leak out onto what's left of their brand.

Its hard to think of companies that would be less well placed to do a valinites day promotion ...

I mean which is worse?

A) a budget brand toilet roll company
B) a pre development space ship game company
C) a mine heavy equipment suppliers

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:laffo:, one of replies to their valentine's day contest tweet
https://twitter.com/CSkirnir/status/1224547331254583297

best community
https://twitter.com/CSkirnir/status/1223541869382000640

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

My love for you is just like roadmap delays:

Neverending <3

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Ae_VnnpCg

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i watched an interesting video about crunch in the VFX industry recently. If anything, it appears to be even worse than for code monkeys.

* The company is usually paid a flat fee
* The producers go back and ask for changes however many times as they like, and its your problem if you go over your budget
* Since the company has no more money, the artists are expected to work unpaid overtime, repeatedly
* If you complain you get blacklisted as well as flat out removed from the credits.
* Because the companies are always chasing tax credits, the next job might be in Vancouver, or England, or whatever random place. So you go away from your family and friends for months at a time, living out of a hotel room or lovely rental.
* The VFX companies go bankrupt ALL THE TIME
* if you do a really good job all the credit usually goes to the director, producers, and actors.

Can totally confirm. Worked in VFX for years until someone showed me I could make the same money or more in games doing 50 hour weeks instead of 80 weeks and sleeping under my desk because it was too unsafe to drive home after a 20 hour work day.

Everything you mentioned above is spot on. All you’re missing is the famous saying from the biz “the movie dates not gonna slip because didn’t finish your shots: You’re just never going to get hired again because you’re considered a non-performer”

And

“You better not go home and sleep, it’s safer to sleep at work near your terminal. Otherwise the render-farm might start dropping frames on your shot, and when the VFX Sup comes in in the morning, and you’re shot isn’t spot on for review, you will be heading towards unemployment”

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

1 hour 46 minutes, amazing. Do they use drugs?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citizens/17455-This-Week-In-Star-Citizen

quote:

Wednesday will bring the PU Monthly Report and the SQ42 Monthly Report, highlighting what the developers have been up to throughout January. Enlist for the Squadron 42 newsletter for all the latest info each month.

Can´t wait.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

They were in beginning of year planning meetings all January, now that all of the plans are set, development will really kick into high gear.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

They were in beginning of year planning meetings all January, now that all of the plans are set, development will really kick into high gear.

Backers will actually believe this as well, despite past history.... and when they make more cuts from the roadmap, they will say its all normal and expected.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Star Citizen: How sexy will the world Squadron42 be?

RandomGuy12
Jan 20, 2019

Dwesa posted:

:laffo:, one of replies to their valentine's day contest tweet
https://twitter.com/CSkirnir/status/1224547331254583297

Star Citizen: Refund Ticket #502987

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Mne nravitsya posted:

Can totally confirm. Worked in VFX for years until someone showed me I could make the same money or more in games doing 50 hour weeks instead of 80 weeks and sleeping under my desk because it was too unsafe to drive home after a 20 hour work day.

Everything you mentioned above is spot on. All you’re missing is the famous saying from the biz “the movie dates not gonna slip because didn’t finish your shots: You’re just never going to get hired again because you’re considered a non-performer”

And

“You better not go home and sleep, it’s safer to sleep at work near your terminal. Otherwise the render-farm might start dropping frames on your shot, and when the VFX Sup comes in in the morning, and you’re shot isn’t spot on for review, you will be heading towards unemployment”

You guys in america should try unions and mass strikes/protests.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Zzr posted:

since our health care is directly tied with our jobs, its hard to say "gently caress this, lets get organized" if you have any sort of minor medical condition, because that poo poo without insurance can cost you thousands of dollars a month for basic medication. or if you have a baby, are pregnant, or just god forbid get your skull cracked open on a protest, here's your ER/hospital bill for a couple hundred grand

there's a reason corporations donate tons of cash to stopping any kind of universal healthcare here in the USA

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

RandomGuy12 posted:

Star Citizen: Refund Ticket #502987

This is genuinely my favorite one yet.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zzr posted:

I think it would be easier to take guns out of their cold, dead hands than doing that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheAgent posted:

since our health care is directly tied with our jobs, its hard to say "gently caress this, lets get organized" if you have any sort of minor medical condition, because that poo poo without insurance can cost you thousands of dollars a month for basic medication. or if you have a baby, are pregnant, or just god forbid get your skull cracked open on a protest, here's your ER/hospital bill for a couple hundred grand

there's a reason corporations donate tons of cash to stopping any kind of universal healthcare here in the USA

Truth. I work in HR and deal with benefits, employment law, etc. all the time, and I studied labor union history and laws as part of a certification. Corporations have all the power when it comes to stopping unions, and as long as they don't outright state they're doing it to stop unions they can pretty much fire whoever they want at any time. And then, even in the best case scenario where you get a new job immediately, you're still looking at 3+ months of no insurance (or the expensive joke that is COBRA). The costs are extra crazy if you're older and/or have kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9IH2y44j4A

What the gently caress guys. How did these thieves steal Chris Roberts' algorithm for procedural generation of planets. This is not ok.