Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Exceedingly shameful.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
i blame the mobile app :(

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1223218977570078721

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

https://i.imgur.com/FI1ieWN.mp4

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what is this thread C Y B E R P U N K W A V E ?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

what is this thread C Y B E R P U N K W A V E ?

ya

A E S T H E T I C

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...gusJ_33reQPDi4I

Full disclosure, not involved but I do know people helping with the campaign (one who likes me well enough and one who doesn't but that's neither here nor there)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...gusJ_33reQPDi4I

Full disclosure, not involved but I do know people helping with the campaign (one who likes me well enough and one who doesn't but that's neither here nor there)

quatoria posted a thing and basically the guy who wrote altered carbon is a TERF :(

Apparently there's something called Echo Phase that's the same but not terfy though?

It's still baffling to me how many transhumanists hate trans people... Like wasn't one of the major themes of altered carbon how the guy was Asian descent and in a Caucasian body, and part of it was how he was treated and related to his race and culture and how it affected him? How do you miss the themes of your book that badly

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 4, 2020

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

yeah he twitted about how gender was determined by what plumbing your body had full stop and I wanted to ask ok so when Kovacs cross-sleeves into a female body for some infiltration mission are they then actually a woman for the duration?? like all his previous man brain patterns and man thoughts are now ladies?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

e: nah, i don't want to get into that too much, transhumanism is loving stupid

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Richard Morgan is a total dickhead very much a Clancy type but a scifi nerd. Try reading (or don't) his other books like Black Man about a genetically engineered race of (inherently aggressive) alpha males with oversized dicks.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 4, 2020

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yeah he twitted about how gender was determined by what plumbing your body had full stop and I wanted to ask ok so when Kovacs cross-sleeves into a female body for some infiltration mission are they then actually a woman for the duration?? like all his previous man brain patterns and man thoughts are now ladies?

Oh also altered carbon the book has a snippet where all the torture vr programs put you in a woman's body for reasons you can probably guess :barf:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

alexandriao posted:

quatoria posted a thing and basically the guy who wrote altered carbon is a TERF :(

Apparently there's something called Echo Phase that's the same but not terfy though?

It's still baffling to me how many transhumanists hate trans people... Like wasn't one of the major themes of altered carbon how the guy was Asian descent and in a Caucasian body, and part of it was how he was treated and related to his race and culture and how it affected him? How do you miss the themes of your book that badly

The game is called Eclipse Phase and, yeah, it is pretty anti-TERF. The rule book is full of short stories and one of my favorites is a trans person being interviewed about their research into the history of "The Fall". The game itself is fun but the rules are... saying they are not elegant would be putting it gently... making it really hard to break into. I believe the rule book is free online from the designers. I would pick it up just to read the short stories.

It really is a shame most of the people claiming to represent transhumanism are total rear end-clowns.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Must be a gen x cutoff thing. Conceptualizing counterculture and transgressive works of art but still being repulsed by the more outsider elements

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The game is called Eclipse Phase and, yeah, it is pretty anti-TERF. The rule book is full of short stories and one of my favorites is a trans person being interviewed about their research into the history of "The Fall". The game itself is fun but the rules are... saying they are not elegant would be putting it gently... making it really hard to break into. I believe the rule book is free online from the designers. I would pick it up just to read the short stories.

It really is a shame most of the people claiming to represent transhumanism are total rear end-clowns.

Eclipse Phase is very good and the new dice pool based rules are way easier to get along with than the GRITTY SPACE REALISM of the first edition.

You can read Rob Boyle on twitter here if you want to verify his non-TERFyness

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

if you’d like to read a goon review of eclipse phase, head to the fatal and friends archive or find the thread in trad games.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Midjack posted:

if you’d like to read a goon review of eclipse phase, head to the fatal and friends archive or find the thread in trad games.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Midjack posted:

Wow, that writer is either intentionally disingenuous (presumably to make these some HOT TAKES) or has really been huffing his own farts. This post was legit painful to read, even though I agree with him on a lot of it. I experienced the same problems with character creation and bad layout.

But poo poo like this in a review, huh:

quote:

You now have 100 Spares with copies of yourself, and thus copies of all your Aptitudes and Skills. Any time you get into a fight, your Spares all yell at the enemy until they either get calmed down long enough for you to shoot them, or suffer enough cumulative penalties from being Flustered to not be able to act, and then you shoot them, since nothing seems to indicate a maximum penalty they can suffer.

Hey, great, I guess if the peasants all pass an object to each other fast enough, you can make them into a railgun!! This is a very good critique of an rpg.

quote:

Final Verdict: The writing was better in 1 and its supplements, loot that, slap EP2's system on top, re-add the MoS system, hack in the missing morphs you like, uncap the skill totals and then sigh and get a stiff drink as you sit down to figure out how to respond to each given incident of vague writing or outright unspecified poo poo.

This is a reasonable summary, though I can't see why he'd bother saying it when he seems to fundamentally reject a lot of the premises of this game.

EDIT: Honestly, they seem like someone who knows a lot about the setting, and is probably actually a good GM, and is doing some kind of feigned outrage, the writing equivalent of when pewdiepie shrieks in terror whenever the slightest thing happens onscreen. It threw me because there are some honestly good criticisms in here, and the blazing hot takes are not at all distinguished from them.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 4, 2020

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

The two most broken things imo, balance wise, in EP were automatic weapons and hacking. In the games I ran and played in those two things were always a problem. I'll have to check out v2 and this new dice system. The world is genuinely awesome and fun to play in.

Fredflonston
Jan 29, 2011

once during a game of EP we could not figure out how to perform a basic kick (as with a foot (assuming your character has legs)) while abiding the 1st edition rules. Your character doesn't seem to be able to do anything you haven't already explicitly set in your skills even if it's just basic movement I guess?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

topical given all the app news today. hell it’s probably a yospos tweet:

https://twitter.com/homo_demon/status/1224680605750710272?s=21

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhV-OKHecI

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

pmchem posted:

topical given all the app news today. hell it’s probably a yospos tweet:

https://twitter.com/homo_demon/status/1224680605750710272?s=21

See the problem is if pete becomes president it will not be crimes anymore

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Alan Smithee posted:

See the problem is if pete becomes president it will not be crimes anymore

/Nixonishly well... when the president is gay, that means it is not illegal.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
edit: actually, never mind

i can't make jokes about what's illegal after today's events

the president is god-emperor, that's just how it is now

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

edit: actually, never mind

i can't make jokes about what's illegal after today's events

the president is god-emperor, that's just how it is now

does this mean a republican majority in the senate is the golden throne

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prisoner of waffles posted:

does this mean a republican majority in the senate is the golden throne

trump keeps a very different kind of golden throne :q:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/Nixonishly well... when the president is gay, that means it is not illegal.

See, when I was a kid I saw a thing about the Frost v Nixon interview on TV. I was like "well what he said can't be true right?" then I looked up US law on the web and was kinda astonished that, yes, the only thing stopping a president from doing anything is the threat of impeachment.

Since then I've maintained the position that, everyone hates on Nixon and it was scandalous that he said it out in the open, but it was (and as demonstrated today, still is) true, "if the president does it, it isn't illegal". All he did was state a legal truth (ignoring, you know, all of the other stuff he did).

smh america sort yrself out

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Gonna see Poppy this weekend. Will report back on how the Zoomers are doing with the cyberpunk baton they've been passed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwoGhpYdebQ

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is she even doing the weird waifu thing anymore now that she split with titanic bonanza or whatever his name was

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

transhumanism is loving stupid

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6wl-EyhXl0

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Can anybody give me a clue on what to post here please? I'm lost like a little waffle in a sea of madness.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Billa posted:

Can anybody give me a clue on what to post here please? I'm lost like a little waffle in a sea of madness.

Your av nonstop

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that's more steampunk than cyberpunk tbh

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:awesomelon::justpost::awesomelon:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Alan Smithee posted:

Is she even doing the weird waifu thing anymore now that she split with titanic bonanza or whatever his name was

She’s a lot more Grimes-like now, but also doing some kawaii thrash-metal stuff. I will be the oldest guy in the audience by at least 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

She’s a lot more Grimes-like now, but also doing some kawaii thrash-metal stuff. I will be the oldest guy in the audience by at least 15 years.

You’d be surprised

The meta deconstruction thing is probably the musical equivalent of a 1000 year old demon