Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The software was developed by a company named shadow owned by parent company acronym. The CEO of the company is married to one of Pete’s top staff and has made a bunch of public statements in support of Pete. Pete, Biden, and Klob all gave large chunks of cash to shadow for it consulting in the lead up to iowa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Acronym was founded and is staffed by a bunch of Hillary 2016 people.

I know all of this reads like conspiracy theory nonsense. I can’t believe the world we live in is so dumb.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It turns out that sufficiently incompetent crime is not crime.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Platystemon posted:

It turns out that sufficiently incompetent crime is not crime.

Stealing plays from the Republican's

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

if you're going to fix an election you don't do it in fuckin Iowa where there is a literal paper trail with names

also gently caress Iowa their stupid little gym meetings are forgotten by super tuesday. its a jobs program for media pundits.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Guys, I’m starting to think that maybe there shouldn’t always be an App For That.

Yep. I hope that the app model dies just like the jello-mold of the mid-1900s after home refrigeration started to become widespread. Yes, you can suspend pretty much everything in aspic and force people to eat it. It's not necessary or good, just novel.

Raise your hand if you hate the website you occasionally visit constantly demanding you download it's app, via pop-up

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

good explainer megapost for those just joining us:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I tried to do a summary of what happened, both against the caucus in general and specifically with regards to Buttigieg and Shadow and ACRONYM, for the purposes of anyone who wants to explain to people what just happened and also wants to be able to post some sourcing to the claims.

___

On Monday night, Iowa had its caucus for the Presidential primaries, the first in the nation.

No vote tallies were released by the official Democratic National Committee, because the new app that was being used to tabulate results crashed and was generally unusable for most of the night.

As it became clear that the app would not be capable of providing results, the DNC held a press conference at 1 AM Central to announce that they would have to resort to looking up the paper records that were taken by each caucus precinct and tallying the results manually, which may delay the results until Tuesday or Wednesday.

That same night, the Sanders campaign released their own internal tracking of the vote count based on 40% of precincts, which showed

Senator Sanders with 29% of the vote
former Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg in second place with 24%
Senator Elizabeth Warren with 21%
former Vice President Joe Biden with 12%
Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar with 11%
and everyone else at sub-1% (House Representative Tulsi Gabbard, billionaire Tom Steyer, businessman Andrew Yang)

The next primary is slated for Tuesday, February 11, in New Hampshire, where Sanders is generally also expected to win big according to polling and past performance (he won NH by 22 points in the 2016 primaries against former Secretary Hillary Clinton).

https://twitter.com/brianneDMR/status/1224586981851746304
https://twitter.com/HCTrudo/status/1224578194948468739

___

The other story that's coming out of the caucus was Pete Buttigeig declaring victory in Iowa at 11:24 PM Central Standard Time, which was odd because the official results were still at 0 precincts reporting at the time.

As journalists started digging into the company that developed the caucus app, not only was it identified to be a company named "Shadow", records show that the Buttigeig campaign had paid Shadow some 42,500.00 USD in July of 2019.

The CEO of Shadow was identified to be Gerard Niemira, who previously held a leadership position at Hillary for America.

Shadow's product manager, COO, and CTO were also identified via linkedIn and found to also have previously worked at Hillary for America.

Greta Carnes, who has been the Buttigieg campaign's National Organizing Director since April of 2019, was found to have previously worked at Hillary for America from May 2016 to November 2016, and then later worked at ACRONYM from January 2018 to April 2019. ACRONYM is significant in that it is the company that owns Shadow.

ACRONYM itself is headed by one Tara McGowan, who expressed support for the Buttigieg campaign back in January of 2019.

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1224564353040625665
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/iowa-caucus-app-shadow_n_5e390191c5b687dacc722824
https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/1224572119549267968
https://twitter.com/taraemcg/status/1088071074468642818
https://twitter.com/WhereIsLawrence/status/1224572032781778945
https://twitter.com/WhereIsLawrence/status/1224572569401155584
https://twitter.com/StudioSpicy/status/1224585793152270336

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Smiling Jack posted:

if you're going to fix an election you don't do it in fuckin Iowa where there is a literal paper trail with names

also gently caress Iowa their stupid little gym meetings are forgotten by super tuesday. its a jobs program for media pundits.

Basically 100% right. It's not a fix, it's not anything planned, the Iowa Democratic Party just hosed it. They relied on techies from previous campaigns to develop a complex app, for a complex (dumb) caucus system, didn't test it, and now everything is hosed. Simple, really.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

Basically 100% right. It's not a fix, it's not anything planned, the Iowa Democratic Party just hosed it. They relied on techies from previous campaigns to develop a complex app, for a complex (dumb) caucus system, didn't test it, and now everything is hosed. Simple, really.

Yeah, but also:

https://twitter.com/megslay27/status/1224580548435140608

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I don't have a problem with Iowa having their weird regional tradition, but letting the Rhode Island of the midwest go first and pretend it's a bellwether for the nation is dumb as poo poo.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

oh look unsubstantiated bullshit with no verification from an anonymous source

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
While I am fully capable that Pete is a shitweasel, I'm gonna lean away from believing random twitter posts.

In any case, Pete declaring victory and then loving off to New Hampshire seems like a dumb as hell move. Every other campaign is going to be unbelievably pissed at him, and it also gives them a "This idiot jumped the gun and isn't ready to lead" narrative to attack him on.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'd be a lot less conspiratorial about this shitshow if the DNC hadn't hosed Bernie in 2016.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In any case, Pete declaring victory and then loving off to New Hampshire seems like a dumb as hell move. Every other campaign is going to be unbelievably pissed at him, and it also gives them a "This idiot jumped the gun and isn't ready to lead" narrative to attack him on.

Platystemon posted:

Buttigieg is the Democratic Rubio.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LongDarkNight posted:

I don't have a problem with Iowa having their weird regional tradition, but letting the Rhode Island of the midwest go first and pretend it's a bellwether for the nation is dumb as poo poo.

"Nation thinks its smarter than it actually is, relies on an unsecure untested app to support an arcane, archaic methodology for deciding leadership with incomprehensible results that make no one happy" is a pretty good bellwether of America tho...

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Like... Biden I'm sure is being Managed to high hell and was probably more an insurance policy in case Butt didn't poll well. He's probably completely oblivious that he didn't just win the drat thing.

But in what world, was the Warren camp expected to just go along with the wholesale theft of the primary right out the gate??

And loving with the Klobuchar camp in such a blatant and obvious way seems like a great way to get a bomb under your car.

Edit: Either this is a total bullshit claim, or Team Pete are really loving dumb, basically.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 4, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There's a reason that there are millions of Pete is a rat memes this morning, and it's not just because of unsubstantiated tweets. Pete's people were up to some shady poo poo, got caught, and results have been delayed while a paper count goes down.

Only numbers so far were bernie's numbers released last night with 40% of precincts. It projected him winning Iowa with around 30% of the vote. It also projected Pete in 2nd. Pete released numbers from 75% of reporting precincts this morning that match Bernie's projections from last night.

Bernie won, and idiocy and skullduggery delay the results. Also biden ate poo poo so hard that he's threatening legal action if the numbers get released before he sees them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I’d stay away from conspiracies until results come out. Sowing doubt and conspiracies is 100% Trump campaign’s playbook and they will boost or provide unsubstantiated claims to that effect.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Shadow and acronym aren’t conspiracy theories. That part is 100% accurate.

The only part that is unsubstantiated at the moment is that the pete campaign deliberately hosed with numbers and was caught by warren and klob people.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

the point is not to affect the outcome, the objective is to cast doubt on institutions

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only part that is unsubstantiated at the moment is that the pete campaign deliberately hosed with numbers and was caught by warren and klob people.

Yeah, that being unsubstantiated is a big deal.

That a bunch of politically connected made a lovely app to deal with a dumb, ancient form of primary in a small state is just kind of “whatever,” and something we knew days/weeks ago.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, that being unsubstantiated is a big deal.

That a bunch of politically connected made a lovely app to deal with a dumb, ancient form of primary in a small state is just kind of “whatever,” and something we knew days/weeks ago.

The fact that shadow made the app did not come out until a few hours ago. Both nevada and iowa DNCs were silent about it. All of this was first discovered overnight.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Smiling Jack posted:

the point is not to affect the outcome, the objective is to cast doubt on institutions

If you don't have doubt in the DNC by now, you're a moron.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

The fact that shadow made the app did not come out until a few hours ago. Both nevada and iowa DNCs were silent about it. All of this was first discovered overnight.

Unknown to you, probably not to whatever private Intel services are working for Bernie and Warren.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Smiling Jack posted:

Unknown to you, probably not to whatever private Intel services are working for Bernie and Warren.

Unknown publicly. News last night when poo poo started going sideways discussed how no one knew who the app developer was.

Bernie has a separate tracking system in place.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Does Glenn Beck know you've taken his chalk board?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Other key point: the Iowa Democratic Party told caucus leaders that using the app is optional.

This means some never used it, others got annoyed by app shortcomings, etc, and so there are some (large) number of officials who aren’t using the app and instead were trying to call the woefully inadequate phone bank center to report results manually.

Some of those people said “gently caress it,” and went to sleep because they’re not legally mandated to stay awake until the reporting is fixed. They can just call in the next day.

Sometimes the easy answer of incompetence and tired humans makes more sense than the Trump narrative or the narrative of highly motivated but overly emotionally invested rando democratic primary campaign staffers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Buttgieg declaring victory based on nothing public is very suspicious though.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

For fucks sake, this isn't Diebold voting machines in Ohio. This is a reporting app for the Iowa cacuses which have a loving paper trail.

What's the working theory here, CIA Pete colluded with the DNC in order to rig votes for a primary that means almost nothing in the long term and managed to gently caress it all up, or is it more likely that the :tinfoil: social media brigade is posting dumb poo poo for clicks?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

good explainer megapost for those just joining us:

Wow, looks like a bunch of connected people are helping each other fail upwards

Mr. Nice! posted:

They could be referring to the coin tosses which looked like Pete disproportionately won

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 4, 2020

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Fortunately, it doesn't have to be black or white. There's most definitely rank incompetence at work, and it is also extremely likely that there's at least a degree of shady opportunism, if not outright corruption going on.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

The most telling evidence against a direct attempt to change the on-the-ground results is that I haven't seen any journalists or people connected to the campaigns say anything to this effect - just randos on Twitter. If it were true, campaign staffers and volunteers would be screaming to the high heavens, but instead the target of ire is focused entirely on the Iowa Democratic Party for loving literally everything up.

While the sheer name of the Shadow company and Pete throwing money at it obviously look sketchy as hell, given everything else it's much easier for me to believe this shitshow is the result of incompetence rather than malice.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

it's not suspicious at all. he's a deft enough politician that he's learned the lesson of the last five years, which is that you can lie very publicly and there are no consequences at all

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s probably not based on “nothing,” but maybe Buttigieg allies are using the app whereas others were using the phone bank?

Also it could just be a cynical move to generate buzz or momentum right now and assume that if, in 1-5 days or whatever, he has to say “Oops, we got 2nd/3rd, oh well, onward supporters and donors,” that correction won’t really matter much.

He needed a big night more than some, so claiming one in the confusion probablu isn’t terribly stupid even if it’s opportunistic.

OTOH, Biden can better afford to say “hun, weird, let’s keep going” because he wasnt going to do well in IA but is projected to do far better in places like NC.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Don Dongington posted:

There's most definitely rank incompetence at work, and it is also extremely likely that there's at least a degree of shady opportunism, if not outright corruption going on.

Redundant this is the DNC.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

That Works posted:

Redundant this is the DNC.

It's the Iowa Democratic Party thank you, which is an entirely distinct circus to the DNC's big top :colbert:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Butt was supposed to be 3rd or 4th according to polling, looks like he came out to second. Unless he declared total victory, outperforming expectations could be considered a victory

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's the Iowa Democratic Party thank you, which is an entirely distinct circus to the DNC's big top :colbert:

Ohh, cool thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I am willing to believe crazy conspiracy theories about election tampering by Buttigieg based on the crazy conspiracy theories of him being a CIA spook.

It's one of their core "competencies" and given the kind of news about the IC (American and otherwise) we've heard since 2016, we should expect their heavy involvement in this election cycle.

Call me crazy if you gotta. Welcome to 2020.