Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

OK maybe not engineered, but could the lab be the source of it? That would be very damaging for China's image so it's normal they would cover it up

NO. jesus christ.

Hopper posted:

Nah I meant more because of claims that it doesn't have to do with the fish market and they obfuscated the real source/timeline.

it looked like that was the common cause at the start of it so that was what was reported. as more data comes in yes it looks like it may have come from elsewhere initially. that doesn't mean anybody was necessarily purposefully lying about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

OK maybe not engineered, but could the lab be the source of it? That would be very damaging for China's image so it's normal they would cover it up

It seems unlikely. But the presence of the lab might have contributed to the decision to cover things up when they first became aware of it (without knowing at the time whether it came from there or not).

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

NO. jesus christ.

mmm that's exactly what a NWO shill would say. We know about your depopulation agenda ! :tinfoil:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
it was covered up initially because there was a series of important CCP meetings coming up and no bad news was allowed. for about two weeks there were 0 new infections reported and afterwards is when they started reporting infections again.

so yes it was totally mismanaged, it was probably spreading in november with people getting weird pneumonia, by december it was obvious to frontline people that there was something going on but local officials didn't want to hear about it, only wanted to keep it quiet until the party business was over at least. and this was when they thought it didn't transmit from person to person (now we know that's because it was transmitting asymptomatically). so it was a huge mistake and if they had done it differently it would be a much better situation today

yes there was a coverup, no the coverup was not to hide some sort of secret bioengineering weapon release. just standard CCP cover your rear end coverup

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Mozi posted:

it was covered up initially because there was a series of important CCP meetings coming up and no bad news was allowed. for about two weeks there were 0 new infections reported and afterwards is when they started reporting infections again.

so yes it was totally mismanaged, it was probably spreading in november with people getting weird pneumonia, by december it was obvious to frontline people that there was something going on but local officials didn't want to hear about it, only wanted to keep it quiet until the party business was over at least. and this was when they thought it didn't transmit from person to person (now we know that's because it was transmitting asymptomatically). so it was a huge mistake and if they had done it differently it would be a much better situation today

yes there was a coverup, no the coverup was not to hide some sort of secret bioengineering weapon release. just standard CCP cover your rear end coverup

The only good(?) news about all of this is that it means it's probably way harder to contract than China wants people to believe, and that the case load in Hubei at this point is driven by massive, prolonged exposure rather than a small number of people being mass-infectors. Turns out an epidemic does a good job of spreading when you ignore it for two months!

e: Building hospitals as your first response two months into an epidemic is some really lazy / inefficient rear end-covering, honestly.

Niton fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 4, 2020

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I just read the Lancet article myself and it says;

99 patients with 2019-nCoV were included in this study, two of whom were husband and wife. In total, 49 (49%) patients were clustered and had a history of exposure to the Huanan seafood market. Among them, there were 47 patients with long-term exposure history, most of whom were salesmen or market managers, and two patients with short-term exposure history, who were shoppers.

What makes people think that it didn’t start at the market now? The obvious takeaway would be it came from there and the other 50% caught it second hand surely? Other wise is seems very weird that a full half literally worked in the market.

It also made no mention of “patient zero.”

Or is there another Lancet article I should be reading?

It also mentions the 2 that died in this study were relatively fit and healthy but that they smoked. Could the relative extreme spread in Wuhan be down to weak lungs from smog if so? Quite interesting.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
What are the odds Chinese officials took a long hard look at their population structure, pollution levels, water availability and food production forecasts and decided to let it run its course? Or did they just bungle and underreport numbers because that's just the way things are done?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Outrail posted:

What are the odds Chinese officials took a long hard look at their population structure, pollution levels, water availability and food production forecasts and decided to let it run its course? Or did they just bungle and underreport numbers because that's just the way things are done?
It’s just general incompetence as well as political issues with nobody wanting to take the blame

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Outrail posted:

This should be fairly enlightening.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/aeon.co/amp/essays/what-chinese-corner-cutting-reveals-about-modernity

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
There are literally millions of Chinese officials. Provincial ones are, by dint of the overall structure of government, nearly all fuckups

If there was such an agreement, it would've been in Beijing. But the national people at Beijing and Shanghai were the ones to bust the provincial people's asses and force them to declare the epidemic. The provincial people know that they are spending a significant amount of time in a gulags now, but if they successfully covered it up from the national authorities it wouldn't have been that way

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you read the same article I quickly glanced over. There is a graph that show the 1st patient was reported on Dec 1 (I think that was the date of first symptom, he went to the hospital on Dec 16. He was also not the first one died). The next batch of patients were 3 people on Dec 10, and one of the 3 had contact with the market.

It's possible that the first mutation of the virus was not easily transmitted human-to-human (since the first patient never gave it to his family) and the further mutation of the virus became more deadly and started from the market.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Bape Culture posted:

I just read the Lancet article myself and it says;

99 patients with 2019-nCoV were included in this study, two of whom were husband and wife. In total, 49 (49%) patients were clustered and had a history of exposure to the Huanan seafood market. Among them, there were 47 patients with long-term exposure history, most of whom were salesmen or market managers, and two patients with short-term exposure history, who were shoppers.

What makes people think that it didn’t start at the market now? The obvious takeaway would be it came from there and the other 50% caught it second hand surely? Other wise is seems very weird that a full half literally worked in the market.

It also made no mention of “patient zero.”

Or is there another Lancet article I should be reading?

It also mentions the 2 that died in this study were relatively fit and healthy but that they smoked. Could the relative extreme spread in Wuhan be down to weak lungs from smog if so? Quite interesting.

Here's a Science article about how it might not have started at the seafood market, and might have started elsewhere, been brought to the market somehow, then spread. I'm not saying this means it is a leaked bioweapon or anything, but the market may not actually be the initial source:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/wuhan-seafood-market-may-not-be-source-novel-virus-spreading-globally

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That’s really weird. Like it would make sense if someone took the virus into the market and it spread from there but the first presenting patient having absolute no link to it is bizarre. The quoted doctor says the 3 scenarios are someone taking it into the market themselves, a single animal in the market or a group of animals. If the first patient never went into the market how would they be consistent with what he’s saying.

The Jordan/Saudi Arabia MERS anecdote is also very creepy. Just 3 people appearing with an unknown illness months and countries apart.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Bape Culture posted:

That’s really weird. Like it would make sense if someone took the virus into the market and it spread from there but the first presenting patient having absolute no link to it is bizarre. The quoted doctor says the 3 scenarios are someone taking it into the market themselves, a single animal in the market or a group of animals. If the first patient never went into the market how would they be consistent with what he’s saying.

The Jordan/Saudi Arabia MERS anecdote is also very creepy. Just 3 people appearing with an unknown illness months and countries apart.

Could just be that the first presenting patient wasn't the first infected. Maybe the initial patient didn't have bad symptoms and was never checked out or tested.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

quote:

One father in his dying breath kept telling his son that “I fought in the war and survived, and now I might be dying because they have trouble allocating supplies.”

This is just stupid. Why do people reason like this. If he dies it's because he caught a disease. People die from disease all the time. Why do we feel we need to claim it's the fault of someone specific when people die of disease? 100 years ago there'd be no chance anyone would be saved via medical treatment from anything from Influenza to Smallpox to Polio to Typhus.

So why now?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Credit assignment is addicting and essential to civilization

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Day Man posted:

Could just be that the first presenting patient wasn't the first infected. Maybe the initial patient didn't have bad symptoms and was never checked out or tested.

Overwhelmingly likely. None of the people infected in Wuhan in early January who travelled abroad have turned into super-carriers, and few of them have shown symptoms that define a serious case.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

riseofmydick posted:

This is just stupid. Why do people reason like this. If he dies it's because he starved. People die from starvation all the time. Why do we feel we need to claim it's the fault of someone specific when people die of starvation? 100 years ago there'd be no chance anyone would be saved via food drops from anything from famine to crop failure to underproduction to hording.

So why now?

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
If I die of Coronavirus my #1 regret will be I didn't gently caress more hoars.

Donate to my hoar loving gofundme ----> https://www.gofundme.com/hoars

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

riseofmydick posted:

This is just stupid. Why do people reason like this. If he dies it's because he caught a disease. People die from disease all the time. Why do we feel we need to claim it's the fault of someone specific when people die of disease? 100 years ago there'd be no chance anyone would be saved via medical treatment from anything from Influenza to Smallpox to Polio to Typhus.

So why now?

Why aren't you a being of pure logic and rational thought like me, man who is literally breathing his last??!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Actually illogical human who's trying to express his last coherent thoughts to his son as his brain begins to cease it's normal functions, if you approached your problem scientifically you'd realize it's the virus particles ravaging your body that are causing your death.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Doomed human who stupidly never calculated the possibility that death would come knocking this month, your attempts to express to your son that the CCP is not that great, while noble, are completely out of place in this situation. They didn't kill you, the coronavirus did. Please try to remain logical at all times, forsaking all emotion, in your next life.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I hope this is a joke post lol

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wuhan is now raccoon city. Capcom needs to delay the next resident evil game for political reasons.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

riseofmydick posted:

If I die of Coronavirus my #1 regret will be I didn't gently caress more hoars.

Donate to my hoar loving gofundme ----> https://www.gofundme.com/hoars

Sir

Sir

The gofundme says not found please let me help in these trying times

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shaocaholica posted:

Wuhan is now raccoon city. Capcom needs to delay the next resident evil game for political reasons.

Dino crisis except you hunt them and eat like monster hunter

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

riseofmydick posted:

So why now?

Is this...satire...?

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

PinheadSlim posted:

I hope this is a joke post lol

I have aspergers so I think of everything logically this may be my own fault.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

riseofmydick posted:

Your logic is ignoring 100 years of medical technological development and understandings of disease transmission factors.................

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

Is this...satire...?

Lol it's pretty bad

riseofmydick posted:

You're not thinking logically

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

riseofmydick posted:

you think you think logically, maybe

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

i am harry posted:

Your logic is ignoring 100 years of medical technological development and understandings of disease transmission factors.................

But those things are bad, because it allowed people to live longer and become boomers and overpopulate planet earth and lead us to our extinction.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
All these folks saying they're thinking logically but they can't even tell me what skolematization is smh

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Do u even pressburger arithmetic bro

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

bob dobbs is dead posted:

They don't usually try to make viruses less deadly in military bioweapon labs

Also there's a lot more bats than bioweapon labs

Our best method for getting random rear end poo poo as opposed to specific genes in microbes is still radiation and waiting. The natural world has plenty of (solar) radiation and is way better at waiting

On the other hand, you have this poo poo right here. Apparently you can take a bird/bat/pig-only version of the virus, mess with a few important gene groups with CRISPR, and like magic, the virus is now infectious in humans!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i'm going to try to find the thing written by another medical person saying that article is nothing but baloney

https://twitter.com/biskits_n_gravy/status/1223640553960722434?s=20

https://twitter.com/klausenhauser/status/1223602099512127488?s=20

not surprisingly it's harder to find than the people freaking out about it

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 4, 2020

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Didn't the authors of that study retract it?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

riseofmydick posted:

So why now?

Just one possible explanation... China is an authoritarian state. People that believe in authoritarians believe that they have supreme power. It reasonable that some Chinese in this trap would blame Most Supreme Chancellor Xi.

There are more reasonable explanations like, oh, I don’t know, he was going to die and he’s mad, and anger creates these types of sentiments (needing to blame someone, etc).

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
He was willing to give his life for his country but in his own time of need his country isn't there for him. Not exactly an uncommon story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

bob dobbs is dead posted:

All these folks saying they're thinking logically but they can't even tell me what skolematization is smh

It's when you drink a whole Coronavirus in one go. :guinness: