Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Insanite posted:

It’s funny how bureaucratic incompetence only ever seems to punch left.

Hilary's bureaucratic incompetence cost her the 2016 election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

lmao I just got an email from the Bernie campaign that started with "Like you, we are disappointed with what happened last night in Iowa." why the gently caress would you lead like that, casuals are gonna think he lost hard now

Well, that assumes casuals read campaign emails.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Hell yes this tweet. You don't ensure security by keeping your software in a black box, that just ensures that every black hat and their cousin gets in on the action of breaking it for their own gain.

This is unconscionably incompetent.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nonsense posted:

Pete's team got big brains

What the actual gently caress is this.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Main Paineframe posted:

Also, I'm gonna say two things :siren:from the mod perspective::siren:

1. It's fine to TV/IV stuff when there's actual big events going on, but it seems pretty clear that actual events have stalled out right now, so I think it's about time to put a stop to the TV/IVing and return to normal D&D posting, at least until the actual numbers come out.
  2. It is absolutely fine for people who are not regular participants in this thread to start participating in this thread right now, even if it means they're coming in with different opinions from the people who've been posting here nonstop for the last eight months. Don't chase people out simply because they're newcomers to the thread.

this. i want to hear other perspectives too. I often find I have tunnel vision when it comes to politics because I only really know my own lived experience.

I honestly don't think there was any elaborate conspiracy to rig the election. At most they are just slow rolling because they know Bernie won and they don't want him in the news but even this is a stretch.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Hell yes this tweet. You don't ensure security by keeping your software in a black box, that just ensures that every black hat and their cousin gets in on the action of breaking it for their own gain.

This is unconscionably incompetent.

It's negligence to the level that is inexcusable. Perez and every official in IA should resign.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Djarum posted:

Sanders campaign is likely keeping quiet because it is the smartest idea to do so right now. They are going to likely win Iowa and anything they would do will be turned around on them. They released their internal numbers after Buttgieg did his victory speech. Better to sit back let him hang himself now.
Yeah, you can't control the media narrative in the Age of Trump anyway. Releasing those numbers helps prevent all the big party folk who supported Biden/others from jumping over to Pete, which in turn hampers Pete's ability to effectively compete outside of IA/NH. If Pete can't get a network up in the Super Tuesday states *now*, name recognition isn't going to be enough to keep him as a viable candidate.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
It would be funny if Pete's lie about winning turns a story about overperforming in 2nd place into a story about underperforming in 2nd place.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mr whistler posted:

Are you trying to self-own here?

She has no first hand knowledge of anything, dropped out of the race a month ago, wasn't even in Iowa, and is known for holding very kooky conspiracy theories.

Wake me up when you have someone who at least KNOWS PERSONALLY someone that was told to delay releasing the results for nefarious purposes.

She's clairvoyant, she's a firsthand source for all precincts

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

SKULL.GIF posted:

What the actual gently caress is this.

that's how iowa caucus math works (the precinct is done correctly)

the precinct elects 8 delegates. the formula only awarded 7. in these cases, the person closest to earning another delegate (which means they are closest to a .5 decimal) gets a delegate. if there is still another delegate that needs to be awarded, the next closest gets another and so on

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

It's the kind of low-content posting you see when people are liveposting and live-reacting about currently ongoing events; mostly people just posting their raw thoughts rather than trying to have a discussion.

Aka “to democratic primary thread” a thread.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

oxsnard posted:

Where is this depressed turnout narrative coming from? Butt and Bernie numbers seem to point to 200k votes. 2008 was crazy partly because of Bush and partly because of Obama. The US economy was collapsing too which was kind of a big deal back then

I also think there are probably a lot of anti-Trump democrats who don't have strong feelings about who the Dem nominee should be.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I also think there are probably a lot of anti-Trump democrats who don't have strong feelings about who the Dem nominee should be.

Also impeachment taking up a lot of media time that would otherwise be devoted to Iowa

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oxsnard posted:

Where is this depressed turnout narrative coming from? Butt and Bernie numbers seem to point to 200k votes. 2008 was crazy partly because of Bush and partly because of Obama. The US economy was collapsing too which was kind of a big deal back then

literally one source said PREDICTED numbers were low, then like three posters here spent twelve hours going 'OH gently caress OH poo poo OH gently caress'

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

oxsnard posted:

The economy was not collapsing in February of 2008.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

That’s my main opinion on “low/high turnout” stuff. Liberals are probably exhausted about politics (because they’re privileged and don’t want to think about it) and have no opinion about the Dem candidate, but DEFINITELY want to vote in the general when they can take their clear shot against Trump.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/daybookjobs/status/1224716317648777216?s=21

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Concerned Citizen posted:

the precinct elects 8 delegates. the formula only awarded 7. in these cases, the person closest to earning another delegate (which means they are closest to a .5 decimal) gets a delegate. if there is still another delegate that needs to be awarded, the next closest gets another and so on

More importantly, thought, that image contains the pin code to enter the results on the app.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's smoke because we don't actually know the turnout numbers yet. It's downplaying a clear Bernie win.

There's been some claims to try and play down the youth turnout while the only thing I've seen so far indicates that it's mostly olds that didn't turn out (i.e. Biden's base)

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

joepinetree posted:

More importantly, thought, that image contains the pin code to enter the results on the app.

sounds like someone should call the result in

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I could instantly see that the math contradicts the instructions twice.

First, they're using a form for where AT LEAST FOUR candidates are awarded, and second the rounding conventions described on the sheet are ignored.

E: mb, i misread delegates on the first point

moths fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 4, 2020

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/rubycramer/status/1224721844927897602

I've got to get on that grift train

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

joepinetree posted:

The people screaming the loudest about "Russia hacking our elections" are the same people who have all of their passwords in a sticky note on their monitor.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

kidkissinger posted:

The people screaming the loudest about "Russia hacking our elections" are the same people who have all of their passwords in a sticky not on their monitor.

This is more accurate than you can possibly imagine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It appears that whole turnout was flat, within that turnout first time caucusgoers and youth turnout was way up and Boomer turnout was down. The latter data point boosts Sanders argument.

I think boomer turnout might have been down because with the polls suggesting a Bernie win and them not particularly feeling passionate about Buttigieg or Biden in a "eh either one" way they just stayed home.

The increase in youth is great though.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

moths posted:

First, they're using a form for where AT LEAST FOUR candidates are awarded, and second the rounding conventions described on the sheet are ignored.

no, they follow it correctly. it's at least four DELEGATES (it elects 8). the shot cuts off the instructions on what to do if not all the delegates are awarded by the formula. (since the rounding conventions only awarded 7 out of 8 delegates, the next delegate goes to the candidate closest to earning another delegate)

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Mahoning posted:

The economy was not collapsing in February of 2008.

It sure as hell was for most Americans. The CS housing index was down 20% and unemployment spiked 2% from November to February. Things were looking really grim

PepsiOverCoke
Dec 2, 2019

by Reene

mr whistler posted:

It's useful to review how we got here. Iowa caucuses have always been shady af with record keeping and Bernieland was mad at how it went down in 2016. In the reforms afterwards, the DNC proposed making it a primary instead of a caucus. Bernieland said no, they wanted a caucus (because he tends to do better in caucuses). As a compromise, the two sides agreed to a lot of increased record keeping and reporting from every precinct.

And here we are, new reporting requirements but old af volunteers running the show, a new, untested app, and numbers that don't tally exactly for many precincts (they never tallied in the past but no one kept records or cared) and here we are.

I don't see why we don't have a ranked choice primary in every state and for every election.

The main strength of the caucus, in my view, is the ability to go to a second or third choice. It makes sure that candidates get a fair shake and vote by fear isn't the primary driver of the dialogue. Primaries do NOT allow this, and I think hurt a lot of outside-the-norm candidates, which is bad. Caucuses do.

But the whole "stand here for an hour thing" is not very popular for the obvious reasons here. I think the documentation thing is smart, I actually like having things written down on cards and I'd be willing to bet that if they didn't have an app this wouldn't have been an issue at all.

joepinetree posted:

Doesn't matter, you can't do anything with just the PIN.

moths posted:

E: mb, i misread delegates on the first point

No its actually done correctly.

See this is what i'm talking about ya'll.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

no, they follow it correctly. it's at least four DELEGATES (it elects 8). the shot cuts off the instructions on what to do if not all the delegates are awarded by the formula. (since the rounding conventions only awarded 7 out of 8 delegates, the next delegate goes to the candidate closest to earning another delegate)

That's fair, I misread one for the other.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Djarum posted:

They released their internal numbers after Buttgieg did his victory speech. Better to sit back let him hang himself now.
Hope springs eternal.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

- Mayor Pete's campaign person in IA repeatedly tweets out the pins for entering the vote results on the app
- App crashes spectacularly

Is there a source for this? I have tried to find it but haven't. If true this is kind of the whole crux of the matter.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It appears that whole turnout was flat, within that turnout first time caucusgoers and youth turnout was way up and Boomer turnout was down. The latter data point boosts Sanders argument.

I think boomer turnout might have been down because with the polls suggesting a Bernie win and them not particularly feeling passionate about Buttigieg or Biden in a "eh either one" way they just stayed home.

The increase in youth is great though.

Source?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Midgetskydiver posted:

Is there a source for this? I have tried to find it but haven't. If true this is kind of the whole crux of the matter.

the app was having problems hours before they were publishing the worksheets (which was just a handful of the 1700 or whatever), and the pin alone is not really very useful without having the app or the other info needed to report results

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/davecatanese/status/1224719772434214912?s=20

pete knows they lost

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

Nonsense posted:

Pete's team got big brains

That image, and many others like it were tweeted out by the Pete campaign guy

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
So it's a bad thing that Bernie's missing out on good press and Trump gets to paint Democrats as incompetent, but: now Buttigieg, Biden, and Bloomberg are running in the same lane without a clear choice for the centrists to rally around. Another possible silver lining.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

I work in the software cryptology field and this is the dumbest loving thing I've ever read in my life

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

are we even going to get these results today at this point? it seems like they've completely hosed this up now, probably worse than they are admitting.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

So it's a bad thing that Bernie's missing out on good press and Trump gets to paint Democrats as incompetent, but: now Buttigieg, Biden, and Bloomberg are running in the same lane without a clear choice for the centrists to rally around. Another possible silver lining.

in the long term this is probably meaningless, or even good for sanders on the whole, just because it's made the sanders campaign even more passionate going into a primary they're leading polls in that happens in just a week, while the rest of the field eats eachother.

It's still pretty infuriating, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kidkissinger posted:

are we even going to get these results today at this point? it seems like they've completely hosed this up now, probably worse than they are admitting.
I’m going to assume no.