Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Feels like that was probably there from the start... Not sure about strength, but I recall Dante no-selling getting a sword through the torso twice in the first few stages of the original DMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think that God of War leaned harder into the QTEs than any other franchise, and was a stupid popular single player game, so the market...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think GoW was at least the first to have it as an actual mechanic, with the L3+R3 being the Rage of Gods/Sparta/Titans. So I guess Kratos can get really angry for a very short amount of time, which is why he can't throw mountains all the time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

jokes posted:

I think that God of War leaned harder into the QTEs than any other franchise, and was a stupid popular single player game, so the market...

Resident Evil 4 was the first time I remember them (I hadn't played Shenmue at the time) and they were praised because it meant even in cutscenes you weren't safe. But too much of a good thing and all that.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Elfface posted:

Feels like that was probably there from the start... Not sure about strength, but I recall Dante no-selling getting a sword through the torso twice in the first few stages of the original DMC.

Dante gets stabbed and then has to dramatically unstab himself so many times across the course of the games that you start to wonder whether that's just his kink.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dante: "Why did my father give me the Rebellion?"

*Dante stabs himself with the Rebellion, unlocks his ultimate sword.*

"The world is cruel, son. There are a lot of demons out there that are going to stab you, but what you really needed to do is stab yourself." --Sparta, probably.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I was playing Sekiro the other day and it's the most QTE heavy game ever. And the prompts are in japanese!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Olaf The Stout posted:

I didn't remember this so I just looked it up and it sounds pretty interesting actually. So it's Lara being dropped off in random maps, with hunger, cold, and permadeath, and you have to survive and find artifacts, that sounds really cool actually. Is there a day and night cycle? I like hunger and cold mechanics if they're well-implemented, it gives more value to your looting, exploration and risk assessment, especially if you can perma-die. Do you have her full toolkit and move set from the campaign? I read part of a review and the guy mentioned he considers it a better game than the base version of tomb raider, in that it's plotless and just a typical day of Lara kicking rear end, unconstrained by hamfisted character development and ancillary characters, and the hunter-gatherer survivalist aspect is far more explored. Honestly sounds pretty cool.

It's more or less exactly what you've laid out here. Lara is dropped onto a procedurally generated siberian wildnerness map and the goal is to survive for as long as possible while collecting artifacts and relics from caves. Normal artifacts simply increase your score, but raiding an entire tomb can unlock special weapons or abilities. You can level up the same skill trees from the base game, and all the regular crafting/upgrade options are there. There's a hunger and warmth mechanic, and temperatures are deadlier at night, so you have to plan your expeditions around finding shelter and entering tombs knowing you'll have enough for the trip back. Each day, the enemies and wildlife grow deadlier, your hunger and warmth meters deplete faster, and things can go wrong very quickly. There are unlockable cards that add random mods, either positive or negative, special outfits and weapons. I've gotten a lot of extra hours out of it!

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

Dante: "Why did my father give me the Rebellion?"

*Dante stabs himself with the Rebellion, unlocks his ultimate sword.*

"The world is cruel, son. There are a lot of demons out there that are going to stab you, but what you really needed to do is stab yourself." --Sparta, probably.

If DMC as a whole has one message it's that Sparda was really a terrible parent.

Edit: I'm not sure if it's ever clarified which parent was responsible for naming the twins but c'mon, you called your half demon children Dante and Vergil, that's just setting things up to play out exactly how they did.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Feb 4, 2020

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

small ghost posted:

If DMC as a whole has one message it's that Sparda was really a terrible parent.

Arguably still better than Vergil was.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

I think GoW was at least the first to have it as an actual mechanic, with the L3+R3 being the Rage of Gods/Sparta/Titans. So I guess Kratos can get really angry for a very short amount of time, which is why he can't throw mountains all the time.

Devil May Cry did this with the Devil Trigger mechanic. I'm sure there have been other similar examples previously, but GoW1 is basically DMC1 with QTEs, flashier moves, and the occasional block puzzle.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Dr Christmas posted:

Was God of War the game that started the trend of giving every hack ‘n slash protagonist sudden context-sensitive bouts of Hercules strength?

I kind of feel like the opposite, the OG God of War was the game that started the trend of mundane tasks like opening treasure chests and doors requiring several seconds of intense button mashing.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

CordlessPen posted:

Arguably still better than Vergil was.

The age old question: is it better to grow up not knowing who your dad is until your lovely uncle drops it on you at the worst possible moment; or to know exactly who he is and spend your entire life trading uncomfortably homoerotic stabs with your identical twin brother over who's the better successor?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

1stGear posted:

Its funny to think that if you take the series chronologically, God of War 1 was like the third time he'd been to Hades. Its practically his daily commute.

I did get a kick out of the PS4 game where when asked if he knew about the underworld, he replied "Not this one". Though if we're talking favorite things in games getting the Blades of Chaos has to rank with my top game moments of all time. Not only are the cutscenes/music/etc. tremendous storytelling, the moment after when you finally use the Blades and just kick tremendous rear end on a group of foes is such a moment of power (Dare I say it felt like "god mode"? :D).

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

I did get a kick out of the PS4 game where when asked if he knew about the underworld, he replied "Not this one". Though if we're talking favorite things in games getting the Blades of Chaos has to rank with my top game moments of all time. Not only are the cutscenes/music/etc. tremendous storytelling, the moment after when you finally use the Blades and just kick tremendous rear end on a group of foes is such a moment of power (Dare I say it felt like "god mode"? :D).

That whole moment is wonderful.

When the documentary showed that part from with the actors doing that scene it really made me appreciate it a lot more
https://youtu.be/lJZWKBDXXFY?t=5408

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

small ghost posted:

The age old question: is it better to grow up not knowing who your dad is until your lovely uncle drops it on you at the worst possible moment; or to know exactly who he is and spend your entire life trading uncomfortably homoerotic stabs with your identical twin brother over who's the better successor?

What about being a loser living in a lovely van while the other becomes a fedora wearing sniper aborter?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

RagnarokAngel posted:

Resident Evil 4 was the first time I remember them (I hadn't played Shenmue at the time) and they were praised because it meant even in cutscenes you weren't safe. But too much of a good thing and all that.

I was gonna say god of war did it first, but resident evil 4 came out 2 months before the first god of war, I've thought for years QTE's were god of wars fault.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

exquisite tea posted:

It's more or less exactly what you've laid out here. Lara is dropped onto a procedurally generated siberian wildnerness map and the goal is to survive for as long as possible while collecting artifacts and relics from caves. Normal artifacts simply increase your score, but raiding an entire tomb can unlock special weapons or abilities. You can level up the same skill trees from the base game, and all the regular crafting/upgrade options are there. There's a hunger and warmth mechanic, and temperatures are deadlier at night, so you have to plan your expeditions around finding shelter and entering tombs knowing you'll have enough for the trip back. Each day, the enemies and wildlife grow deadlier, your hunger and warmth meters deplete faster, and things can go wrong very quickly. There are unlockable cards that add random mods, either positive or negative, special outfits and weapons. I've gotten a lot of extra hours out of it!

Honestly sounds way more fun than the base game, and I liked the base game quite a bit.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Devil May Cry did this with the Devil Trigger mechanic. I'm sure there have been other similar examples previously, but GoW1 is basically DMC1 with QTEs, flashier moves, and the occasional block puzzle.

I think that similarly to RE4 cited above, they all sorta came out in the same timeframe and shaped a lot of mechanics and staples for future games.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

With all the news of the new Saw movie it reminded me of how Saw II: Flesh and Blood actually managed to pull off an appropriate Saw twist. The main character of the game is the son of Danny Glover's character from the movies (and the first game) but the prologue/tutorial has you play as a different guy. At the end of the tutorial you have to cross a beam over a deadly pit in a race against another, unseen, character with the idea that only one of you can survive. At this point whether you escape or die the game just moves on to the main story. At the end of the game it turns out that the main character was the other guy and if you actually escaped as the tutorial guy then the main character dies.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

muscles like this! posted:

With all the news of the new Saw movie it reminded me of how Saw II: Flesh and Blood actually managed to pull off an appropriate Saw twist. The main character of the game is the son of Danny Glover's character from the movies (and the first game) but the prologue/tutorial has you play as a different guy. At the end of the tutorial you have to cross a beam over a deadly pit in a race against another, unseen, character with the idea that only one of you can survive. At this point whether you escape or die the game just moves on to the main story. At the end of the game it turns out that the main character was the other guy and if you actually escaped as the tutorial guy then the main character dies.

Those games are suprinsgly good for licensed games, let alone Saw licensed games.

Also I'm in the "started playing control because of this thread" camp and just hit the ashtray maze today. I'm really glad I resisted spoiling that because it was just perfect.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

do you have to play through the base game to unlock this? because you're kind of selling me on a copy of this game

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Control talk

Thank you guys for not spoiling the ashtray maze

It was excellent

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

exquisite tea posted:

This sounds a lot like The Long Dark, which is one of the better early access survival games.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
But does it have a poop button, and can you set the poop timer to zero?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Aq-gm3An0

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Control talk

Thank you guys for not spoiling the ashtray maze

It was excellent

Same feeling here. I'm very glad people hinted about it, but nobody seems to have really gone into why it was so memorable. The rest of the game was awesome too, that part just really hit all of the "I'm really glad I listened to recommendations about this" buttons for me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm glad whenever folks bring up liking it, I jumped in sight mostly unseen based on a "Max Payne as SCP Foundation director" comment and was absolutely blown away.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Samuringa posted:

I think that similarly to RE4 cited above, they all sorta came out in the same timeframe and shaped a lot of mechanics and staples for future games.

the only thing about the QTEs for Resident 4 that sucked where that it made enjoying the cutscenes harder. The knife fight with Krauser was really cool to watch, in fact probably a highlight of one of my favorite games of all time, but my eyes had to be glued to the bottom of the screen because I had to prep for the QTE button prompts, and it was not forgiving. I probably got stabbed to death a half dozen times before my sweaty reflexes were able to keep up. I later had to go find it on youtube to actually get to sit back and enjoy the cinematography of it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm glad whenever folks bring up liking it, I jumped in sight mostly unseen based on a "Max Payne as SCP Foundation director" comment and was absolutely blown away.

I had no idea about that, so when I got there i was like "oh great I unlocked the ability to listen to some guy drone on :jerkbag:" and after watching the first one I immediately watched every single one I had and eagerly awaited more. James McAffrey could read a phone book and make it riveting, much less genuinely interesting stuff like in Control

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I think Shenmue would be the reason for the QTE trend in games of the 2000s

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm the only person that actually didn't like the Ashtray Maze, but I respect that it's well-done. It's just not for me.

The area AFTER it was everything I hoped for and more, though. And I'm sad it doesn't get talked up as much, but I get why it doesn't.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Also one last thing on Control, Threshold Kids absolutely nailed the vibe of watching some weird sesame street knock off on public access TV on your old lovely antenna tv that only gets signal if you sit a certain distance away from it and it has the structure of jokes but none of them actually come off like that and you cant change the channel because the TV is too old to have a remote and you cant get up because you're sick but you cant play video games when you're sick because your parents always assume you're faking unless you demonstrably vomit in front of them despite never once faking an illness so you're paralyzed on the couch watching this uncomforting puppet nonsense teaching you about preschool math you think but your head is pounding and your body is on fire and you can feel the tight grip of god around your neck but he wont squeeze just squeeze the life out of me and end this mockery you sick gently caress of a deity and your dad shows up and brings you orange Gatorade even though you loving hate orange gatorade but he doesnt care because it's his favourite flavour and now not only does it taste like poo poo but it forever will remind you of these drat puppets PUPPETS PUPPETS

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The new tomb raider games and control are both really good games and while I rarely buy games at full prices (only about 2 a month or so) they were worth it

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Danaru posted:

Threshold Kids

If you can find it, check our Channel Zero (tv series). The first season is based around a kids show that hits the same buttons.

Little things: Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet

Just :discourse:

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Samuringa posted:

smh at all this discussion of the birth of qte gaming and no one's mentioned the TRUE source it all: the PS2 game Eve of Extinction (2002)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=704HJ6d61EQ

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: Claudia calls Ezio out on being stuck inside a single room for 20 years and he only visits for money.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

QTEs existed in Dark Cloud, and that came out in 2001. I’m sure other games had QTEs before then but it’s the first that I remember that had explicit cutscene button prompts and failing them might kill you

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kit Walker posted:

QTEs existed in Dark Cloud, and that came out in 2001. I’m sure other games had QTEs before then but it’s the first that I remember that had explicit cutscene button prompts and failing them might kill you

Shenmue 1 was released in 1999... in Japan and on December 29. The rest of the world had to wait nearly a year.

And Dragon's Lair was 1983 :smug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Brother Entropy posted:

do you have to play through the base game to unlock this? because you're kind of selling me on a copy of this game

No it's a standalone game mode. I think the 20 year anniversary edition of ROTR comes with all DLC included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Shenmue is absolutely the cause of the mass of games with QTE's, for several reasons. First it named them , even if Shenmue technically called them "Quick Timer Events" and secondly it had lots of them that were actually implemented pretty decently with the button used in the QTE corresponding to the button used for similar actions and being generally singposted ok.
None of this is generally in the games that followed on the QTE bandwagon, but it was what convinced people they were actually a good thing to use more often.