Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mr Beens posted:

So they just let the alien scientist's friend die on the beach and never mentioned him again?

This is an example of the small things that piss me off about this season. Major rant ahead.

Who sent the text message and map coords to the cop?
Why did they camp in among the rubbish when we saw that 30 foot away is perfectly fine land at the edges?
Why didn't she hear the screams of her friend who was a few foot from the tent when attacked?
Why didn't the aliens not either kill or kidnap the girl while she was sleeping when they took her infected friend?
A scratch will infect you, but having a 100% infected person blow up in your face doesn't.
Why teleport the Tardis 200m down the beach when you have a sick man to carry, especially when you can do millisecond perfectly timed jumps when its needed by the story. (Oh yeah to have a Birdemic chase scene later).
Why didn't she use the sonic screwdriver on the dead bird, and find out what the gently caress was wrong in two seconds.
Why isn't there ships and helicopters and military swarming about the place if a submarine just went missing off the coast from where they were.
How come several advanced aliens in their own space ship couldn't get their own ship repaired all the time since it crashed landed there, but a youtuber, a crappy astronaut, two ex-cops, a bus driver, a nothing expert (Ryan), could get the ship into outer space within 3 minutes?

And finally having an experienced world traveler and an astronaut see advanced tech, and what they could do with it, how come they didn't beg to come with them afterwards?
"Ho ho ho, sure I'll just stay here and sort out the world's plastic problem. Bye!"
*Tardis disappears*
"poo poo, I've just remembered I left my passport and everything back in Peru! And no money. How the gently caress am I going to get back to South America? How the gently caress am I going to explain my dead friends disappearance to her family and our fans?"
"Wait, I don't have any passport either, how the gently caress are we going to get back to the UK? How the gently caress are we going to explain to NASA how I ended up here!

The story premise isn't bad, cool body horror aspect they could have ramped it up a bit. But this season so far has an air of being half assed QAed.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Holy crap, someone needs to go to the laser target range.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

To be fair those dudes were dying slowly of a horrible disease!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I think I liked that? It did something interesting with the concept instead of 'it's global warming and we solved it!' The couple were cute and the body horror was horrifying.

I don't know why I was expecting something awful to happen to Yaz when she ventured off for her hour. Anyone else get this sense? This has to be foreshadowing right?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like that Yaz finally got things to do this episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Praxeus gifs (click to view):

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I thought this was a really good episode! First I really enjoyed all the way through this season, to be honest. I did like last week's, but it's not quite a complete story yet so it's hard to judge.

Only complaint was that the effects for the disease made me feel genuinely ill. Worse than Tim Shaw.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Shneak posted:

I don't know why I was expecting something awful to happen to Yaz when she ventured off for her hour. Anyone else get this sense? This has to be foreshadowing right?

That hour is for Nick Briggs. :colbert:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Wow, Orphan 55 isn't even the best environmentalist episode of the season. What the gently caress was it even good for, then?

Echoing how creepy the disease effects were. I'm curious how exactly they did it, it feels like the sort of effect that's got some secretly really cheap and easy core components in it for some reason.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was a good episode, with a really good concept. The seabirds being controlled by the bits of plastic inside them is completely horrible in the best way.

Kind of disappointed it wasn't the Autons but at least they got a shout out.

Yaz seemed like she was trying to get herself killed, I was expecting something horrible to happen to her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WHen Graham was talking to angry dude it was actually quite touching.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Thank you, thread, for giving me the kick in the pants to tell Google that I'm not interested in Doctor Who. I have done the thing. Articles are still leaking through but maybe it'll stop?? (it spoiled me on literally goddamn everything from last week, and wouldn't stop, and from multiple sources, simultaneously, god ugh)

btw did everyone here already know that Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who? I didn't. Learned last night. Groaned.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

juche avocado posted:

btw did everyone here already know that Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who? I didn't. Learned last night. Groaned.

When they were producing Eccleston’s season, they were using Torchwood as a code word to disguise that they were working on Doctor Who - IIRC this was before Torchwood as a series was devised.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Zaroff posted:

When they were producing Eccleston’s season, they were using Torchwood as a code word to disguise that they were working on Doctor Who - IIRC this was before Torchwood as a series was devised.

Something Neil Toynay, Leon Ny Taiy, and James Stoker would approve of.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

WHen Graham was talking to angry dude it was actually quite touching.

Graham is such a great dad who just wants all his kids (like every single person under 50 he meets in a given day) to be okay :shobon:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Do you work out?
I do a lot of running.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Davros1 posted:

Something Neil Toynay, Leon Ny Taiy, and James Stoker would approve of.

I hadn't seen James Stoker before and I love it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I hadn't seen James Stoker before and I love it.

Isn’t James Stoker the one which was only in the Radio Times (IIRC for The King’s Demons)?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Y'all are forgetting what Roy Tromelly would think of it too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And actor Sam Kisgart.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I liked the story, but it didn’t feel like it ever got out of second gear. I was like that Eddie Izzard bit where he describes watching a British movie, ALMOST putting the popcorn in his mouth, but then thinking against it, over and over.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Why hasn't James Mathieson (Flatline) wrote for more Doctor Who episodes?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I would love it if he came back to write more, absolutely. Maybe the working relationship was purely through Moffat?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Has anyone from the pre-Chibnall years come back?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
No one, though I'm guessing Matheson is working on one of Toby Whithouse's two new shows, since he'd otherwise have done nothing since his last Who script four years ago. :(

You'd think Chibbers would at least get Catherine Treganna back, since they've worked an awful lot previously, and she's good, and clearly likes Who.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think that there's explicitly a different writing system for Chibnall's run. They went to a writers room format of some kind, rather than basically just having one writer per episode.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Why teleport the Tardis 200m down the beach when you have a sick man to carry, especially when you
Because the TARDIS can be clumsy. And the Doc has a predilection to parking a bit away, even if it might appear dangerous to her apparent purpose, etc.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Why hasn't James Mathieson (Flatline) wrote for more Doctor Who episodes?

https://twitter.com/Jamti/status/964583651282370560?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh that's a shame but hopefully he comes back again at some point, his stories were so good.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

The early part of this episode had strong Birdemic vibes though thankfully it wasn't quite that direction.

I have to admit, that took me out of the episode for a good chunk of it. I know that's not the fault of the show, necessarily, but still. It also didn't benefit from the bad taste in my mouth left by "Orphan 55." I still enjoyed it, but I'm...not amazed by the writing in the current era of Doctor Who-dom, at least yet.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Anyone remember Aramu?

...anyone? :ohdear:

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 4, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Anyone remember Amaru?

Tupac's middle name?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

marktheando posted:

Tupac's middle name?

Even I don't remember that his name was actually Aramu :eng99:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Every episode is going to take place on Earth this season, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Anyone remember Aramu?

I felt so lovely when I made the gifs that I had to go to wikipedia and look up what his name was, he existed to do nothing more than be the guy who dies in the episode and at least with the others who died there was a moment of sadness for them, he just dies and everybody runs away and he's never mentioned again :smith:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's also, like, the dumbest person alive. Tasked with watching the birds, instead of staying next to the door or on the safe side of the transparent door, he walks right up to the death squall and waits around. Whoops.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I fell off halfway through Matt Smith's final season, is it worth picking up from where I left off or should I just skip to a generally agreed to be good point?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just watch the show, dude.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Roth posted:

I fell off halfway through Matt Smith's final season, is it worth picking up from where I left off or should I just skip to a generally agreed to be good point?

Did you see the 50th anniversary special?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Did you see the 50th anniversary special?

Oh yeah, I forgot that was a thing. Yeah, I watched that and I remember enjoying it.