Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Czolgosz posted:

You know how there are sites out there that are like, mattress review sites? Like, who the hell buys 50 mattresses and tests them? Why would they do that? Well, for many, it's because they are paid to do so. In addition to whatever advertising revenue they get, retailers will give kickbacks and referral credits to bloggers to promote their product. That mattress reviewer? A conservative estimate of the mattress reviewer's revenues puts him at earning 1.6 million over 18 months.

So do that, but for tasers. Buy every possible taser you can find, use each one to rase your balls, and then write a painstaking review of the efficacy, hand feel, design, and overall value of each taser. Tase your balls a thousand times. You could make millions.

This is actually a great idea. I bet it would pay off huge dividends. I don't think I'm willing to endure it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

zaurg posted:

I don't think I'm willing to endure it though.

Other things you aren’t willing to endure:

- Reading for comprehension
- Creating a real budget
- Saving an appropriate amount for retirement
- Buying your children pizza instead of blowing money on shitcoins
- Seeking mental help

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
WILLING TO ENDURE:

- Reading for entertainment
- Creating a fake budget
- Saving a random amount for retirement
- Buying my children tacos and gifts instead of blowing money on retirement
- Seeking mental distress
- BFC's bullshit for years weeks days at a time

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Taze your butthole from the inside.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Didn't read his post because he's ignored but its for sure some loser poo poo. I highly rec ignoring the manchild, not giving him attention makes him very upset

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

blowing money on retirement

Does anyone else ever wonder how language betrays the way we truly see the world, and wonder what we can learn about ourselves based on the way we speak? I do.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Didn't read his post because he's ignored but its for sure some loser poo poo. I highly rec ignoring the manchild, not giving him attention makes him very upset

100% chance you click the link to show the post. 100%. Read this, you know you want to.

Blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah

Blah blah blah blah, Blah blah blah blah!
Blah blah blah blah, blah blah, hahahaha, read this post, HARRY!

Blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah

Now don't you feel immediate regret for clicking to see this post?

thanks,
zaurg

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

IIRC you spent a substantial chunk of time between full-time jobs recently. Variable income is its own headache of difficulty, but I doubt it'll overwhelm you at this point.

How long would it take you to turn the additional upside income into low risk passive income (CDs, HYSA, AAA bonds) to cover the recurring expenses with a stable and predictable income stream? Make that your first priority with your additional upside. Once you've achieved that, the rest is gravy.

True, basically eight months of no or under employment. I weathered it okay, maybe a $20k overall impact to my bottom line. Learned a lot during that time, and am choosing to see that as valuable.

To get to be truly, fully covered for additional expenses with passive income would take a while (over a year, I expect 18 months unless I blow it out in my new role) but is a really good goal, thank you. My intent would be to sock the variable away except for the known big ticket items.

Risk/reward is tough to see and maybe I feel the sting of last year still.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Get a doctor to check out that sting, Mango. It shouldn’t sting.

April
Jul 3, 2006

zaurg the piss expert posted:

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Get a doctor to check out that head, zaurg. It shouldn't echo when you bump it into things. You should bump it into things, though, that's what you deserve.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
I feel like I’m nearing rock bottom in my BFC life. Repeatedly autobanning then re-regging after a few drinks, then yelling at no one in particular just shouting at things. Not answering serious questions. Just shitpost after shitpost. I really don’t know what’s next. This thread probably would get better if I just learned to shut up and make one effort post per day or so about actual financial/career progress.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

zaurg posted:

I feel like I’m nearing rock bottom in my BFC life. Repeatedly autobanning then re-regging after a few drinks, then yelling at no one in particular just shouting at things. Not answering serious questions. Just shitpost after shitpost. I really don’t know what’s next. This thread probably would get better if I just learned to shut up and make one effort post per day or so about actual financial/career progress.

Why start now and interrupt your streak?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Life was simpler when I could just spend my day watching shitcoin numbers go up.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

zaurg posted:

Life was simpler when I could just spend my day watching shitcoin numbers go up.

Life was more enjoyable when we could just spend our days watching shitcoin numbers go down.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

zaurg posted:

If you lost your job today, how hosed would you be? Could you be out of work for eight months? How would it make you feel?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Ultimate Mango posted:

True, basically eight months of no or under employment. I weathered it okay, maybe a $20k overall impact to my bottom line. Learned a lot during that time, and am choosing to see that as valuable.

To get to be truly, fully covered for additional expenses with passive income would take a while (over a year, I expect 18 months unless I blow it out in my new role) but is a really good goal, thank you. My intent would be to sock the variable away except for the known big ticket items.

Risk/reward is tough to see and maybe I feel the sting of last year still.

Main reason I brought it up is because you (and I) know you can juggle the income uncertainty.

Other thing to mess with is, if you need 18 months to get squared away on low-risk passive income, you could also go for something with higher risk but as a stepping stone. REITs like EARN, NYMT or SVC pay dividends in the 8-13% range which would quarter your time to getting predictable(ish) income to be squared away as priority 1 within a few months, and then you go for the HYSA / CDs for priority 2 to truly de-risk your move.

Once you're at that low-risk passive build-up, then you can play games with either rebalancing the total portfolio so that the total return covers your expenses but progressively derisks, or reinvest the dividends to accelerate how quickly you're stabilized.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll nail it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Ultimate Mango posted:

If you lost your job today, how hosed would you be? Could you be out of work for eight months? How would it make you feel?

I'm surviving. Let's see zman do it.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Moneyball posted:

I'm surviving. Let's see zman do it.

Anything more than 6 months out of work and I'd get nervous. I would not like to have to use up my entire 6 month emergency fund, but it's there for that reason I suppose. It would be uncomfortable and I would be on the job search ASAP.

Sorry to make light of job loss. I know from experience it's not fun.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Do you think you would adjust your spending habits at all during those six months? Why?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Thumbtacks posted:

Do you think you would adjust your spending habits at all during those six months? Why?

Don't be silly. Of course he would! An unemployed zaurg is a bored zaurg, and a bored zaurg would need treats to make him feel good again.

Hey, zaurg, Tesla has been exploding for no adequately explained reason the last couple of days. Time to get in if you want to buy at the top to relive the shitcoin fun of 2017/2018 and see it all wither away.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

Yes. Crisis brings out the best in us. Job loss plus having to solely rely on cash in the bank is kind of a crisis situation. And I've ingrained a zero credit card debt habit over the past couple years and that is not changing.

Maybe I should just pretend I only earn 2/3 of what I earn now and build my budget on that. That extra 1/3 or so just automatically transfer to savings and the rest would be all I have to live on for normal expenses and spending cash. That's kind of a budget right? A zaurgish fake budget? Might work?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Main reason I brought it up is because you (and I) know you can juggle the income uncertainty.

Other thing to mess with is, if you need 18 months to get squared away on low-risk passive income, you could also go for something with higher risk but as a stepping stone. REITs like EARN, NYMT or SVC pay dividends in the 8-13% range which would quarter your time to getting predictable(ish) income to be squared away as priority 1 within a few months, and then you go for the HYSA / CDs for priority 2 to truly de-risk your move.

Once you're at that low-risk passive build-up, then you can play games with either rebalancing the total portfolio so that the total return covers your expenses but progressively derisks, or reinvest the dividends to accelerate how quickly you're stabilized.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll nail it.

Thanks for the effort in the sea of poo poo posts. I’m not anywhere close to this point in my life, but appreciate the perspective.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

zaurg posted:

Yes. Crisis brings out the best in us. Job loss plus having to solely rely on cash in the bank is kind of a crisis situation. And I've ingrained a zero credit card debt habit over the past couple years and that is not changing.

Maybe I should just pretend I only earn 2/3 of what I earn now and build my budget on that. That extra 1/3 or so just automatically transfer to savings and the rest would be all I have to live on for normal expenses and spending cash. That's kind of a budget right? A zaurgish fake budget? Might work?

you should be in crisis mode for the rest of your life

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

you should be in crisis mode for the rest of your life

But when can I relax and take a vacay

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
If by “vacay” you mean “tase balls,” nothing is stopping from doing it right now

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Thanks for the effort in the sea of poo poo posts. I’m not anywhere close to this point in my life, but appreciate the perspective.

Secret budgeting techniques inside:

:ssh:My intent at least is to troll the poo poo out of zaurg and see if we can get a similar blowup to when he lost his poo poo over someone describing a healthy romantic relationship, pretty sure Ultimate Mango's there too:ssh:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

zaurg posted:

:mets:

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

I'm amazed anyone can even be bothered pissing in this well at this point

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

zaurg posted:

Maybe I should just pretend I only earn 2/3 of what I earn now and build my budget on that.

How is that different from the third you're already putting into savings? I'm pretty sure you're already doing that.

Just keep learning to fix your own stuff rather than hire someone and avoid impulse purchases. You're on the right track so far.

What we really want is to hear about your brand new investment schemes. I hear Beanie Babies are coming back :cheeky:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Secret budgeting techniques inside:

:ssh:My intent at least is to troll the poo poo out of zaurg and see if we can get a similar blowup to when he lost his poo poo over someone describing a healthy romantic relationship, pretty sure Ultimate Mango's there too:ssh:

I got good advice and trolled zipshit. It’s been a productive day.

I am getting the new job. I think there is a shot at a really amazing year doing this. Like best W2 of my life opportunity.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

zaurg posted:

But when can I relax and take a vacay

You can let your mouth relax and take a vacay by shutting the gently caress up, zaurg

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Cyber Sandwich posted:

How is that different from the third you're already putting into savings? I'm pretty sure you're already doing that.

Just keep learning to fix your own stuff rather than hire someone and avoid impulse purchases. You're on the right track so far.

What we really want is to hear about your brand new investment schemes. I hear Beanie Babies are coming back :cheeky:

Thanks, Sandwich. I'm just always looking for ways to change things up, sometimes for no reason other than just to be able to move numbers around. It's hard to explain though I just feel like hey maybe I should put more into my taxable brokerage account and slightly less into 401k/IRA to balance things out a bit. That 401k/IRA is NOT to be touched for another 20-25 years. What about money I'll need for car/kids/teenagers/college/weddings/medical/vacations/etc etc etc. I just feel I should build THAT savings as well as retirement savings. Anyway that's what started me down that path.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

zaurg posted:

Thanks, Sandwich. I'm just always looking for ways to change things up, sometimes for no reason other than just to be able to move numbers around. It's hard to explain though I just feel like hey maybe I should put more into my taxable brokerage account and slightly less into 401k/IRA to balance things out a bit. That 401k/IRA is NOT to be touched for another 20-25 years. What about money I'll need for car/kids/teenagers/college/weddings/medical/vacations/etc etc etc. I just feel I should build THAT savings as well as retirement savings. Anyway that's what started me down that path.

You should start yourself down the path of shutting the gently caress up, zaurg

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I suppose this is directed at Moneyball but is there a way to keep everyone else except zaurg from posting in this thread

like eat probes or whatever if they post

someone get back to me on this million dollar idea

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Cyber Sandwich posted:

Eh, I don't have any of those. Really zero interest in new investment schemes like beanie babies and Telsa. I would've had to hit Telsa on the way up to get that good good FOMO.

Maybe you want to hear about my gf moving in with me?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Imagine if like 2 years from now I'm in the same exact position I was in when I first posted on BFC in 2009.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Higgy posted:

I suppose this is directed at Moneyball but is there a way to keep everyone else except zaurg from posting in this thread

Million and one dollars: Hellban Zaurg so that his posts are invisible to everyone else.

quote:

Imagine if like 2 years from now I'm in the same exact position I was in when I first posted on BFC in 2009.

Why imagine? It's 11 years later and you basically are.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Higgy posted:

Why would you want that?
This thread is x100 better with uragz on ignore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Toxx on posting a March budget before March 1 since you've already hosed February