Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Made some nice profits on biotech IBIO today.

Outside of a small position on NIO I am now finally free of meme stocks. Now it's time to hold on to what I have, no more buying or selling just building up my cash reserves for the inevitable whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Like friday never happened. Unreal

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
This is legitimately terrifying, I understand irrational markets and short term blah blah but the market is not responding to a literal black swan (Yes, China suddenly disclosing a viral outbreak and shutting down qualifies as a black swan)

edit: all kinds of chatter that the reason for the move is Iowa melting down wtf?

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 4, 2020

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer
Being too much of a wuss to play with options, I'm just picking up some more CRTX.

How are you folks feeling about holding cash with all the nonsense happening right now?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Sold my puts down 50%. bought spy calls. Going to make some money back.

This is so bizarre.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

I touched the TSLA poop for shits and giggles on a dip. 2 1000c 2/7/20. Up 45% atm.

Also sold 5 DIS calls to cover cost. Will let the rest ride.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

There was a dip!?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there any way to find short interest in TSLA that’s more up to date than this? https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/tsla/short-interest

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Got back into more $I poop. Not touching $TSLA poop.

How do we feel about re-entering CRTX and SOLY today?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

TSLA cheapest 2/14 call I could find yesterday was $1.40. Today the same call is $20.40.

There are officially no more affordable calls.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Buy CRTX when market cap is below $2B

Sell when CRTX market cap is above $50B

Simple as that

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

God someone made a FUCKload of money selling TSLA calls today.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Toxic Mental posted:

TSLA cheapest 2/14 call I could find yesterday was $1.40. Today the same call is $20.40.

There are officially no more affordable calls.

Yeah, it's insane. I was looking at it earlier and a $1500 call a year out was like $10K.

You have to think this bubble will burst but the volume is so big I am not sure what to think.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

jokes posted:

God someone made a FUCKload of money selling TSLA calls today.

Imagine yesterday you sat down and said "I'm going to sell an in the money put expiring in 4 days"

I mean buying calls is funny. Those put writers though...

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The simulation is breaking down

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Kal Torak posted:

Yeah, it's insane. I was looking at it earlier and a $1500 call a year out was like $10K.

You have to think this bubble will burst but the volume is so big I am not sure what to think.

This post but in August 2008 and discussing house prices

Or this post but in 2018 and discussing bitcoin at $20k

Basically, TSLA gonna crash. If you understand TSLA is gonna crash and it'll happen very fast and you won't know when before it happens then touch poop all you want.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Buy CRTX when market cap is below $2B

Sell when CRTX market cap is above $50B

Simple as that

Mm, got back into it.

Also threw in more XLNX in my Roth. They rightfully got kicked in the teeth re: 5G (alert: bubble starting to pop) but they're a good company with some of the best IP in the market. Acquisition (hooray for $$$, boo for consolidation) or continued growth both equally possible. Further decline in stock price if the AI bubble starts to pop — their tech is solid for the workloads, but the AI hype is what really props up the price.

Why does the market hate GLW?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I don’t wanna touch TSLA unless I have money to burn because unless you’re willing to drop 10k on a ridiculous call that’s a year out, I’d just stick to getting cheap March 2nd $336.00 SPY calls. They’re like $0.10 each and if the momentum today continues it’s a way safer play.

I mean to say I would absolutely buy a year-out TSLA call, if I could loving afford it, but good god the inflation of the premiums has just been bonkers.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I’ve been rolling around the poop with a short position that I just fully gave up on. They aren’t kidding around about unlimited losses.

That said, it’s a tech company. Have you driven one? It will make you into a believer.

Ps. Sales in Jan are somehow lower than Jan 2019 which was a disastrous quarter for TSLA. They are heavily reliant on China for parts and they’ve burned bridges with American suppliers over the last year. Buy and hold at your own risk. The only reason they haven’t ground production to a halt is that TSLA doesn’t believe in just in time manufacturing so they probably have random extra stockpiles of parts.

Lote fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 4, 2020

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Just flashed on the screen "Saudia Arabia Fund Sold All It's Shares Of Tesla in 4Q"

Oof. Someone's in for a bad time...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Someone in a reddit comment said that this was due to all the shorts realizing TSLA is the good poo poo and turning into buyers and that’s when I felt it is driven 90% by idiots. Now, idiots zealously invest but are not good at the buy and hold side of investing on a string of red days and the come-down will be horrible when normal people take profits from the absurd 80% gain in 5 days.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I’m suspecting that China has been responsible for this huge rip up from $400. I think that part of the deal with the China factory might have included equity ownership or loosening restrictions regarding Chinese retail / institutional investors holding equities. There has been a near insatiable demand for the stock since the China deal.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Lote posted:

I’ve been rolling around the poop with a short position that I just fully gave up on. They aren’t kidding around about unlimited losses.

That said, it’s a tech company. Have you driven one? It will make you into a believer.

Ps. Sales in Jan are somehow lower than Jan 2019 which was a disastrous quarter for TSLA. They are heavily reliant on China for parts and they’ve burned bridges with American suppliers over the last year. Buy and hold at your own risk. The only reason they haven’t ground production to a halt is that TSLA doesn’t believe in just in time manufacturing so they probably have random extra stockpiles of parts.

I own one and I think that TSLA belongs in the 200's MAYBE. Their best bet right now is autonomous uber.

Sold a 910/905 put spread expiring Friday, so please get ready to open your short positions now. Leaving an order open to close it out at 50% profit.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

This post but in August 2008 and discussing house prices

Or this post but in 2018 and discussing bitcoin at $20k

Basically, TSLA gonna crash. If you understand TSLA is gonna crash and it'll happen very fast and you won't know when before it happens then touch poop all you want.

I hope they crash and burn, but please don't take the rest of us with them

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I own one and I think that TSLA belongs in the 200's MAYBE. Their best bet right now is autonomous uber.

Sold a 910/905 put spread expiring Friday, so please get ready to open your short positions now. Leaving an order open to close it out at 50% profit.

I bet OTM puts are a good deal right now. I swore off options for a while after making a decent chunk and not wanting to be one of those dudes that loses everything by doing consecutive stupid options plays.

Anyways I’d buy some March puts for sure if I was doing options. 700 maybe?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bought a couple OTM PTON calls ahead of earnings tomorrow. Totally fine with them zeroing out.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

jokes posted:

I bet OTM puts are a good deal right now. I swore off options for a while after making a decent chunk and not wanting to be one of those dudes that loses everything by doing consecutive stupid options plays.

Anyways I’d buy some March puts for sure if I was doing options. 700 maybe?

No way I'd buying March puts now, March expiry is 35.85 at 700. 1.03 at 300, which tempts me, but I don't feel like betting that people will sober up by then.

There's no calling where this batshit ride stops. I legitimately believe that people may bid this poo poo up to $2,000 / share, just because that's where Amazon is right now and idiots will compare the two on price / share.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hahahaha holy poo poo that’s probably what’ll happen.

The meme wars have turned economic.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
guy on WSB posting a 4mil account on $120k worth of way OTM tesla calls from last week

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Imagine buying $120k worth of OTM calls on TSLA at ATHs and being right.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

greasyhands posted:

guy on WSB posting a 4mil account on $120k worth of way OTM tesla calls from last week

Link for those who want proof.

https://imgur.com/fh5QLBq

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

jokes posted:

Imagine buying $120k worth of OTM calls on TSLA at ATHs and being right.
The kind of person stupid enough to do this is also the kind of person who doesn't know when to stop. I eagerly await their inevitable fall from grace and being promoted to a WSB mod.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Well surely tomorrow this market will come back down...

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
This market will cool off when China stops the liquidity spigot. $LVS is up 2% today on news that Macao is shuttering for two weeks.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The fact that the percentage increase in cases is tailing off is being take as a sign we are approaching peak. I think that is fairly premature, especially since china just closed three more cities south of Shanghai. The nearest one is basically a suburb.

This isn't the soft close either, this is the new 'only one person can go out for food every two days' restriction.

Edit - I bought more spy puts. I guess this might be the new version of you cant fight the Fed. But fully expecting suppliers to still be unable to open next week.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 4, 2020

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Baddog posted:

The fact that the percentage increase in cases is tailing off is being take as a sign we are approaching peak. I think that is fairly premature, especially since china just closed three more cities south of Shanghai. The nearest one is basically a suburb.

This isn't the soft close either, this is the new 'only one person can go out for food every two days' restriction.

How the market is interpreting China's actions as not that big of a deal is really making me doubt my sanity. It's something that has literally never happened before and its just being ignored. Trying to gauge how bad or not bad the virus is is pointless, what matters is the economy is grinding to a standstill and they're probably not doing it "just in case"

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

The kind of person stupid enough to do this is also the kind of person who doesn't know when to stop. I eagerly await their inevitable fall from grace and being promoted to a WSB mod.

The kind of person stupid enough to do this can do it 38 more times at the same opening position and be wrong on every single one and STILL be ahead 100%.

Of course, they're gonna compound their poo poo and lose it all.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
lol does anyone care what some NERD with a world map and a calculator thinks?

NUMBER :golfclap: GOES :golfclap: UP! :golfclap:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

lol does anyone care what some NERD with a world map and a calculator thinks?

NUMBER :golfclap: GOES :golfclap: UP! :golfclap:

I'm close to being fully hedged now, I feel much more (financially) secure. loving insurance is expensive tho, goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Baddog posted:

I'm close to being fully hedged now, I feel much more (financially) secure. loving insurance is expensive tho, goddamnit.
I’m flat today and I own TSLA. Hedging in this market dumb. I am dumb.