Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Oceanbound posted:

It wasn't always the case that the current block ranked draft was available for the whole set period. It could be possible that they are ditching the two simultaneous ranked drafts format and returning to rotating just one at a time. Stupid but possible.

I recall that, and it sucked and was dumb, but I guess that wouldn’t preclude wotc from deciding to go back to that model anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Sorry

https://twitter.com/stillcary/status/1224708693016576002?s=19

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

axeil posted:

It's extra crazy because apparently pod drafting does exist in some sort of internal testing build. It also works fine on MTGO so how hard could it be to port to Arena?

Yeah they should just go live with a semi tested build at the highest stakes tournament of the year, what could possibly go wrong?????

JerryLee posted:

It's amazing that they apparently have so much contempt for the idea of pod drafting that they'll do a kludgy workaround like this rather than just program it into the client, even after two years of development

It's so obvious, just press the button that says DRAFTS WORK NOW, how fuckin hard is it???????

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Don't ever apologize for posting Cary!

I'm almost glad Wizards hosed up everything lore related, because Cary Unleashed has been incredible ever since they stopped giving a poo poo.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lone Goat posted:

It's so obvious, just press the button that says DRAFTS WORK NOW, how fuckin hard is it???????

My post would've been better phrased as "rather than have it programmed into the client after two years of development". I didn't really mean that I expected them to bang it out from scratch in the first week of February 2020, presumably after doing a surprised pikachu face at the idea that working pod drafts are a good functionality to have available.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lone Goat posted:

please don't take this as a "lazy devs" post, but is there something especially difficult about pod drafting that you wouldn't expect it to have been implemented by now if it actually had some level of priority to wotc?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

odiv posted:

They're worried about queue times so they're going to put Theros drafts behind a 2k gem paywall.

they will announce that and then in exactly 7 days drop the pre-planned announcement that "they listened t the community and made it 1500 instead"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
In a moment of weakness while sick I reinstalled Arena and spent $5.42 USD on gems so I could do a draft. I instantly regretted giving them money.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

please don't take this as a "lazy devs" post, but is there something especially difficult about pod drafting that you wouldn't expect it to have been implemented by now if it actually had some level of priority to wotc?

This is a pure hypothetical so doesn't really make for interesting conversation, since it wasn't even on their roadmap till this year. Also the answer is yes, anything is difficult for them given their track record. Even if they were lifting the existing implementation from mtgo.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest thing is they want to differentiate between Arena and Online, so they stick very close to the things that make them unique. Online is a "Bo3 focus, leagues and pod drafting," and Arena is "low-stakes, pause a draft, play Bo1 and do what fits your schedule" as top-line design philosophies. The more they blur those, the less reason Online has to exist.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rinkles posted:

Synchronous anything that's not on the initial roadmap requires a lot of testing, ultimately. The largest challenge is probably just figuring out how to handle pick timers, since Arena is absolutely not set up for dynamic pick timers / "stacked picks" the way MTGO is.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Huxley posted:

I think the biggest thing is they want to differentiate between Arena and Online, so they stick very close to the things that make them unique. Online is a "Bo3 focus, leagues and pod drafting," and Arena is "low-stakes, pause a draft, play Bo1 and do what fits your schedule" as top-line design philosophies. The more they blur those, the less reason Online has to exist.

not seeing the problem here

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

not seeing the problem here

Yes exactly. Also their north star tenet for arena is, "Authentic magic." The divergence of metagame between bot drafts and in person drafts shows they're not meeting the tenet.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yes exactly. Also their north star tenet for arena is, "Authentic magic." The divergence of metagame between bot drafts and in person drafts shows they're not meeting the tenet.

Sorry I'm phone posting, I should have been more more selective in my quoting, let me try again.

Huxley posted:

the less reason Online has to exist.

Not seeing the problem here.

Whenever you want to ask, "why doesn't Arena have [thing]?" just remember: they're really bad at this.

For those that weren't around at the time, MTGO used to have leagues, then when v3 came to out they stopped having leagues for SIX YEARS before they finally figured out how to make them work again.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm agreeing with you. On mtgo you can still draft for free, too.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Honestly shocking magic is just played differently in different mediums. It’s cool to see how the “technology” has agency on the game but it’s also concerning to design one product for different play styles in standard alone, not even including all the other formats

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I just saw an ad for the mobile game Magic: Mana Strike. It didn't feature any gameplay so I assume it's a generic gacha/freemium garbage game? The trailer at least referenced some Nicol Bolas lore that didn't seem completely wrong.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I tried it, and it's a weird PvP RTS style thing. It's obviously a reskin of something, but they put a lot of effort into the presentation. Also yes, freemium gacha etc.

Although isn't MtG really the first gacha game, when you think about it?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Brand Twitter is getting weird

https://twitter.com/wendys/status/1224778280219430913?s=21

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

For those that weren't around at the time, MTGO used to have leagues, then when v3 came to out they stopped having leagues for SIX YEARS before they finally figured out how to make them work again.
I mean a better way of phrasing it is that MTGO was the longest running game of all time to be feature negative year after year. Like the game went through multiple revisions where it continuously lost features. Imagine a ten year beta where the end result is a product less feature complete than where it started just to keep the house of cards (that was generating millions) going. They are incredibly bad at this.

Also I'm sure it's a coincidence but leagues were considered the best means to collecting sets once you no longer had to buy the starter deck to run them. (Though I forget if the ever launched a set into that, but I remember it was something you could handily do with Coldsnap with minimal investment) And they never actually brought leagues back, not in the form they were in nor the form they use in real life.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wolfsbane posted:

Speaking as a computer programmer: lol

Same

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Idk how to find the original tweet also that Arby’s card

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
For the low low price of €20k (or $22k if you're that way inclined) this could be yours.

A very nice Black Lotus signed by Christopher Rush and Richard Garfield.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You should pay to have it professionally evaluated just because I’ve never seen one of those cool hardback screw-tight cases with a big ol’ 0.0 on it

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Beta. How quaint. :smuggo:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lol the guy who was on the other end of crygate got DQed from the tournament:

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr4rp7

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Surprised by the severity of the punishment, but on the other hand the guy sounds absolutely insufferable.

e:

quote:

I just want to go on record and state that this head judge, someone we are supposed to be trusting with these events, and trusting to maintain and uphold the integrity of the game and the nature of honesty and law, is using admitted anecdotes to disqualify honest and transparent players who are truly fans of the game, and of SCG. Not exactly a very good example of integrity at all, by any definition. As far as I know, anecdotal and integral are kind of not anywhere close to relatable, and I think many would agree.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

On one hand, giving out a dq there seems weak as gently caress. On the other, his story reads like the typical guy who would cheat with dice because he is an insufferable grognard grinder.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The DQ feels like bullshit but I also believe he’s very intensely burying the lede of “they asked three of my opponents and they all felt like I could’ve cheated at dice”.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Sickening posted:

On one hand, giving out a dq there seems weak as gently caress.

How so? The head judge investigated the way he rolled dice, managing to find three of his previous opponents for verification. Head judges don't take DQs lightly, and they probably also talked to SCG staff before doing this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Brownhat posted:

How so? The head judge investigated the way he rolled dice, managing to find three of his previous opponents for verification. Head judges don't take DQs lightly, and they probably also talked to SCG staff before doing this.

It is based on the two stories I have heard so far. The previous 3 opponents would have to say some pretty damning things to change that.

I have definitely witnessed head judges taking DQ's lightly. End of the day though its just a magic tournament and just take the dq and move on with life.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

I expected that this was the guy who allegedly drew extra cards, tried to play an extra land, talked to her teammate instead of her, and then harassed her on Twitter... not the die roll guy. By both her and his account, the die roll was a misunderstanding that got out of hand because she was (rightfully) distressed about the previous experience. Who knows what the head judge asked his previous opponents, but they're still human and prone to bad emotional decisions as anyone else. To be clear I don't blame her at all for acting like she did and definitely don't blame her for his DQ.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I’m more upset that the 2nd dude got a DQ for doing basically nothing wrong and the 1st guy gets off Scott-free

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

I expected that this was the guy who allegedly drew extra cards, tried to play an extra land, talked to her teammate instead of her, and then harassed her on Twitter... not the die roll guy. By both her and his account, the die roll was a misunderstanding that got out of hand because she was (rightfully) distressed about the previous experience. Who knows what the head judge asked his previous opponents, but they're still human and prone to bad emotional decisions as anyone else. To be clear I don't blame her at all for acting like she did and definitely don't blame her for his DQ.

Also if 3 other people said his die-rolling was questionable then that's a bit of a red flag.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I’m more upset that the 2nd dude got a DQ for doing basically nothing wrong and the 1st guy gets off Scott-free

I thought the first guy also got DQ'd and got a major misconduct or some other larger penalty

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Arena devs have had 2 years to programme a decent pod drafting experience but they've instead put energy/resources into implementing garbage experience tree bullshit and novelty owls and cats to try and sucker more people into spending more money on their app. Their priorities are to offer a lower quality and more exploitative service and should rightfully be poo poo on as a result.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
the players keep buying it and tuning in to watch Ben Stark do arena drafts so whats the rush, really.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The unbelievable rage posting that will accompany live pod drafting and the various ways that other people fail to respect or waste your time is actually going to be super hilarious for me so I’m stoked for it

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

ill miss you, 9th Pick Pharika’s Spawn

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I will too. Drafting Final Death over Pharika’s Spawn while cringing, but then seeing the latter come back felt great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Honestly I'm more on her side reading that.

"Only 75% of my opponents said I was ratfucking my die rolls, the 25% they couldn't question would have definitely exhonerated me."

Then some bullshit about the great injustice and The Integrity Of The Game the old "I'm sure we can all agree and I speak for everyone" rhetorical reach you always see from aggrieved dipshits caught red-handed (or in this case limp wristedly dropping the dice on boxcars.)

*jerking off motion*

E: lol it looks like he baleeted his Twitter.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 5, 2020