Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is he just catching onto this now, why is he so offended by this suddenly? Also is the balding fucks like referring to Okada? And this poo poo after Dave made himself look like a bit of an rear end to folks for defending Cornette so hard. What a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The balding fucks are the Young Bucks.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You just know he wants to call them the Young Cucks so bad.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Unperson_47 posted:

Was Jim Cornette ever not garbage

Doubtful, but before the internet and Twitter he wasn't as known to fans as a pile of human garbage. It was easy to just see him as a fun, cowardly, heel manager in a vacuum until the 2000s, probably.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
There was a period about 5-10 years ago where he was just known for making GBS threads on Russo and bad modern WWE booking, and that made him fun and well liked by a big chunk of fans whose interests intersected with that. And now he’s milkshake duck’d himself.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, even when he ranting about Russo/WWE/TNA he was still the guy who like assaulted people repeatedly and threatened to kill people. He didn't really reveal anything new, people just were ignoring the problems with it back then.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, even when he ranting about Russo/WWE/TNA he was still the guy who like assaulted people repeatedly and threatened to kill people. He didn't really reveal anything new, people just were ignoring the problems with it back then.

Most of the people he assaulted or death threated were dipshits too so it’s like a Benny hill finale.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I wonder how much of Kevin Dunne hate is even warranted, a majority of fans opinions on Dunne are generally direct Cornette quotes, he’s likely a liar.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Eat My Fuc posted:

I wonder how much of Kevin Dunne hate is even warranted, a majority of fans opinions on Dunne are generally direct Cornette quotes, he’s likely a liar.

Paul Bearer hated him and no one has ever had anything bad to say about Bearer. I think that says plenty.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Punch McLightning posted:

Paul Bearer hated him and no one has ever had anything bad to say about Bearer. I think that says plenty.

This.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Eat My Fuc posted:

AJ Lee confirmed Kevin Dunn wouldn’t shut up about her tits soooo

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Eat My Fuc posted:

i've watched shoot interviews for years and I've literally never heard a single person say anything nice about kevin dunn. ever. the nicest thing you'll hear is "i never interacted with him much" from guys that want a job there again

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

coconono posted:

Most of the people he assaulted or death threated were dipshits too so it’s like a Benny hill finale.

I mean Santino sucks but he was still a young employee being hit by his boss. And he's infamous for going after a fast food worker.

At best, even if you're willing to excuse that stuff for whatever reason or laugh at him threatening to kill Russo he's always clearly been a hosed up violent rear end in a top hat.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I could never listen to Cornette speak for very long because he’s constantly clearing his throat and it makes me feel like I need a lozenge.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Tyrion's dumb speech about Daenerys and evil men except it's Meltzer and he's talking about Cornette.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

It legitimately is hilarious because Cornette is comparing Kenny to a guy who was probably the best actor in the world in his day and is dumb enough to think this is an insult.

Let me illustrate his thinking by recounting this fun exchange with his fans.

a reddit exchange with Cornette fans posted:

[–]deep1986

Cornette is partly right about Omega IMO

He calls him Kenny Olivier for that reason

[–]Me

Cornette’s really showing Kenny, comparing him to a man many consider to be one of the greatest actors of all time. Sick burn.

[–]deep1986

He's saying that Kenny is acting a wrestler, not being a wrestler.

There is a difference and it's quite crucial

[–]Me

All wrestlers are pretending to be wrestlers, it’s loving fake. He’s comparing him to a man widely regarded as the finest practitioner of his craft ever, it’s a bad metaphor if he wants to say that the incredibly good wrestler Kenny Omega is bad.

[–]duckhugs1150

All wrestlers are simulating an athletic contest yes but Brock Lesnar does not pretend to be a wrestler neither did Dusty Rhodes or Ric Flair. the thing with kenny is he to me looks like a broadway actor in a wrestling ring sure he's talented but i feel as if he's out of place.

[–]Maldovar

That's what the smarks love though. They know it's fake and want to be reinforced in their cleverness by having wrestlers that act like THEY know it's fake. Kenny isn't as bad about that as Orange Cassidy or the Bucks, but it's still there

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ask them where “Hulking up” lands on that scale of theirs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"Brock Lesnar does not pretend to be a wrestler," he says, because people bust out the F-5 and the shooting star press so often in actual wrestling.

I wonder if these people know what an actual, real fight looks like.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I've probably seen the least amount of Omega matches of anyone on this board and I can't believe that poo poo. Even by their own framing it doesn't make sense.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

that bit about pretending to be a wrestler is ridiculous, but loving lol at Dusty being one of dude's examples of someone who didn't

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Take Cornette discussion to the Cornette thread, please.

Low Desert Punk posted:

i've watched shoot interviews for years and I've literally never heard a single person say anything nice about kevin dunn. ever. the nicest thing you'll hear is "i never interacted with him much" from guys that want a job there again

Steve Austin likes him, but I'm guessing that Dunn was also never anything but friendly and respectful to the guy who was making the company a billion dollars.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It helps that ‘pretending to be a pro wrestler’ is an easy no true Scotsman because wrestling is play pretend, like every improv media, and such it is up the audience suspending disbelief that it works at all. It is just that the Cornette crew want to believe people in the eighties and seventies and ‘my childhood’ were the dumbest people alive who didn’t realize the ren faire King was really a cool IT guy with back problems.

edit: I’m very sorry mod, but I am keeping my ren faire metaphor.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/RHWGareth/status/1224759894924058629?s=20

Okada: Not much character.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you're talking about wrestling on the internet you're a smark, dumbass

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

karmicknight posted:

It helps that ‘pretending to be a pro wrestler’ is an easy no true Scotsman because wrestling is play pretend, like every improv media, and such it is up the audience suspending disbelief that it works at all. It is just that the Cornette crew want to believe people in the eighties and seventies and ‘my childhood’ were the dumbest people alive who didn’t realize the ren faire King was really a cool IT guy with back problems.

edit: I’m very sorry mod, but I am keeping my ren faire metaphor.

It's an interesting comparison considering Cornette used to work with Lawler, whose gimmick is essentially "ren faire king"

I don't get the people who need realism, this is an industry where an undead biker had 10 world titles and a 21 year unbeaten streak at a marquee event

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 5, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if I wanted to watch a real fight, I'd go to a bar. If I want to be entertained by ppl impossibly tougher than me, I'll watch wrestling.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ah yes the great character of Roman Reigns

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Peanut President posted:

ah yes the great character of Roman Reigns

Hey, he's THE BIG DOG! Which means he has the character of.... being... the... uhh.... big.... dog?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Hey, he's THE BIG DOG! Which means he has the character of.... being... the... uhh.... big.... dog?

Hey now he's got other traits like wears a girdle and is eternally moist.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Jerusalem posted:

Jim Valley describing “Big Dog” as something that guys barbecuing have on their aprons is the peak wrestling analysis so far for this year.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jerusalem posted:

he's pitbull #3?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okada shouting scooby doo doing an elbow drop is more character in one moment than most WWE wrestlers get to show during a year

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I mean Santino sucks but he was still a young employee being hit by his boss. And he's infamous for going after a fast food worker.

At best, even if you're willing to excuse that stuff for whatever reason or laugh at him threatening to kill Russo he's always clearly been a hosed up violent rear end in a top hat.

Or that time he flipped his poo poo at a black security guard and called him the n-word, which is apparently OK for Jim Cornette to say because he just wanted to upset the guy.

But hey, he needs his stupid loving corner in the world of irrelevance as he continues to shriek red-faced, spit flying everywhere, into the howling void while to the amusement of a brigade of pretentious fuckwits who parrot his idiocy, mistaking it for wisdom.

Edit: Sorry, Jerusalem. Didn't see your post before I wrote this.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 5, 2020

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
There's sort of a point in the realism thing but its nothing like the one that dude is making: I don't think the issue is so much people not looking legit or whatever but some companies (including one very big one) not presenting the show like its real. Doesn't mean that they can't do silly stuff: but you have to present that as being legit within the context of your show. DDT are the best at this; they do a lot of very silly comedy but the joke is never "hahahaha look at this fake stuff; now we'll pretend to be serious": they've put a lot of effort in to build up a world where its not stupid for that sort of stuff to happen. You see the same with NJPW and Yano; and a lot of Orange Cassidy's best stuff have been when its been presented 'seriously' in that sort of way. The worst for it are WWE: and I think that's a big reason why a lot of that stuff just doesn't hit with their audience.

fe: just to clarify: this isn't about Cornette but that dude above

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah its one thing to run a completely contextual gag. Its another to redo the gag sans the context then get mad that it didn't take.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Okada shouting scooby doo doing an elbow drop is more character in one moment than most WWE wrestlers get to show during a year

Okada's Divorced Dad Energy run in the G1 a couple of years ago is some of the best character work ever done in this fake sport.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lamuella posted:

Okada's Divorced Dad Energy run in the G1 a couple of years ago is some of the best character work ever done in this fake sport.
They made Kazu wear pants for a year to get a huge pop at the Tokyo Dome and it was loving amazing

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
"Little Kazu got them long boys" should have retroactively been the story of the year in 2018 after the god pop the shorts got.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All of CHAOS becoming a slacker club instead of dudes that wanted to run poo poo was quite a character adjustment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
After their overachiever boss left they could finally stop giving a poo poo.