Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yeah, that's the warnings I got for Horizon 3 too, where I ever only played with a controller. So I'm committed to finding a good sort of average, but not loving around for hours.

In any case, you've all been tremendously helpful, thank you. Keep the tips coming if you have them, but I have a lot to go on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
If you want to get a feel for FFB clipping get a game that has an FFB meter and play around with the settings, Raceroom has one and the base version is free. With a G27 you probably have to live with a bit of clipping.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

This game was actually very good for open world racing sim https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Legal_Racing:_Redline

When you bought upgrade parts you would have to tune the engine, similar to Automation. The clutch modeling was really good and you'd stall if you were bad at it. I actually learned to drive a standard in this game. Before it, I was bad and stalled often. After, I bought a manual before having done any further driving, and felt much more comfortable and rarely stalled.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I was running a few rally stages in VR last night, and my son was watching me on the PC, doing a golf clap any time I went off line or otherwise had an excursion.

The crowning moment was when the wheel came completely loose from the wheel stand, mid-stage in the Lancia Delta. At full throttle.

I guess my reaction was sufficiently spazzy that, when I took off the goggles, my son looked like he was going to pass out from laughing so hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

a mysterious cloak posted:

I was running a few rally stages in VR last night, and my son was watching me on the PC, doing a golf clap any time I went off line or otherwise had an excursion.

The crowning moment was when the wheel came completely loose from the wheel stand, mid-stage in the Lancia Delta. At full throttle.

I guess my reaction was sufficiently spazzy that, when I took off the goggles, my son looked like he was going to pass out from laughing so hard.

That's proper rally

https://youtu.be/eWVR2VV11Yc

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Assetto Corsa Competizione is $24 on Humble

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/assetto-corsa-competizione

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Is Competizione good if you have no specific interest in Blancpain? I'm expecting solid work from those guys, but it also seems pretty specific.

Exactly the clip I was thinking of.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you actively dislike blancpain? I mean if the concept doesn’t make you excited it’s probably a pass. People haven’t ripped the engine apart and modded it yet like they have with the original AC, so you get what you get for now.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Is it still half-baked garbage?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jimmer seems to like it.

https://youtu.be/xLdOiMNvQzE

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I certainly don't actively dislike it, but it sounds like it's not a priority.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

How is the VR implementation of ACC? Similar to AC?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s better. All the menus are fully VR so you don’t have to pop back to desktop mode.

It’s much more polished in general

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Okay, I guess I'll give it a try. I like the Blancpain series, I like AC, I like when it rains, so what could possibly go wrong?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
ACC has come along well I think, it sucked at first but is a really good drive now.
VR is good but I have a good PC, there are complaints about it being blurry but I don't get that.
They lost the Blancpain license so I am hopeful that other content may come at some point, there have been whispers of that.
Online so far has been decent too, which I did not expect.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Kunoz didn't lose the Blaincpain license, the real series rebranded. They still work with the teams and manufacturers. They just released DLC with 4 new tracks: Leguna Seca, Suzuka, Bathurst, and Kyalami. If you like GT3 cars then this is a great sim but its only GT3. Since it released they update the tire model, added chassis flex, and more. In the recent patch the telemetry outputs at 200hz too, so they are listening to the community on random things.

VR performance is a meh. They use the Unreal engine which is deferred rendering that has a bunch of issues. Most people complain about performance or that its blurry. With a i7-6700k, a 1080ti, and a valve index I run most things on low, AA off, mirrors off, volumetric fog off, and renderer resolution at 95%. That gets me 120fps most of the time.

Also one of the devs streams during the week answering questions. He also explains how he makes the car set ups and has a series of videos on that. His last stream talked about how they worked with the artist who did liveries for teams to get them correct in sim. They also had to rework how atmospheric pressure is modeled since Kyalami is at a high altitude and with their old model that cars would of been too fast to be realistic (as far as sims go).

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 5, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah ACC was definitely not good on release but is better now. Whether it’s for you depends on how much you love GT3 (I’m a basic bitch and love GT3 a lot).

It really is the No Mans Sky of race sims.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

ACC has come along well I think, it sucked at first but is a really good drive now.
VR is good but I have a good PC, there are complaints about it being blurry but I don't get that.
They lost the Blancpain license so I am hopeful that other content may come at some point, there have been whispers of that.
Online so far has been decent too, which I did not expect.

I have a 1080 in my VR rig at the moment. Should be enough, I assume? IIRC it's even one of those EVGA overclocked ones or whatever, but I'm not entirely sure (long time since I build the thing). Rest of it is an i7 Xwhatever and an NVMe-drive, and the typical 16 gigs of RAM which should be enough for most stuff. I haven't had a bad VR experience with it with VR stuff that was properly or halfway optimized. AC runs really well in VR, so I assume I should be safe with ACC in VR?

e: also PCars 2, R3 etc. runs like butter in VR with it, so I guess I'm safe?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s better. All the menus are fully VR so you don’t have to pop back to desktop mode.

It’s much more polished in general

Well poo poo, now I gotta give it a chance

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tuo posted:

I have a 1080 in my VR rig at the moment. Should be enough, I assume? IIRC it's even one of those EVGA overclocked ones or whatever, but I'm not entirely sure (long time since I build the thing). Rest of it is an i7 Xwhatever and an NVMe-drive, and the typical 16 gigs of RAM which should be enough for most stuff. I haven't had a bad VR experience with it with VR stuff that was properly or halfway optimized. AC runs really well in VR, so I assume I should be safe with ACC in VR?

Safe? Games aren't all or nothing. You can tweak settings.

Yes, the game will be playable. If it didn't work on a 1080 nobody would be playing. But with VR there's always tradeoffs to be made on visuals vs performance.

I have a 2080ti and I can't play VR at max settings. But even on a 970 you can play VR games and have it be smooth.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tuo posted:

You'll need to turn settings down (I have to as well with a 1080ti) but it will be fine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Well poo poo, now I gotta give it a chance

I mean, that was like my biggest gripe with ACVR

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean, that was like my biggest gripe with ACVR

No I agree, it was def what made me hate it

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You'll need to turn settings down (I have to as well with a 1080ti) but it will be fine

Yeah, that's a given. I just wanted to make sure the VR implementation is fine in that setup. I had racing sims that didn't work well with this setup even on low settings, and that shouldn't happen, imo. AC, R3E and PCars 2 work perfectly.

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 5, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Oldass game Live For Speed has good VR implementation, and being an oldass game it runs very smoothly even at high resolutions. The demo is worth trying.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Hey here's a weird question: I've had sore calf muscles for a couple of days, and I have no idea why, but I realized that I've really been binging driving games lately, and it's the only thing I can think of. Anyone ever driven so much (after a long break, for example), that their muscles ache?
Edit: Also, it's mostly my right calf. The gas calf.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 6, 2020

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

You need cruise control!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't press the pedal so hard

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

It's deep vein thrombosis

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

wearing airplane socks with my driving gloves

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Ergonomics ok? I hear a good bit about that being off loving your body

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Could probably be better. My desk is a gently caress and I've had to jury-rig a backstop to make sure the pedals don't slide too far back. But I feel like I'm at a comfortable spot now. Then again, I think the ergonomics of my entire life could be better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Hey here's a weird question: I've had sore calf muscles for a couple of days, and I have no idea why, but I realized that I've really been binging driving games lately, and it's the only thing I can think of. Anyone ever driven so much (after a long break, for example), that their muscles ache?

I dunno if I've gotten that from sim racing but I've definitely gotten that from driving cars for long periods of time IRL

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

tuo posted:

Yeah, that's a given. I just wanted to make sure the VR implementation is fine in that setup. I had racing sims that didn't work well with this setup even on low settings, and that shouldn't happen, imo. AC, R3E and PCars 2 work perfectly.

I'm running ACC on a Rift S with a 1080ti and an i7 6700k, both overclocked, and it runs ok I guess, you'll have to deal with ASW unless your ok with frequent frame drops. If your expecting your fps to be capped all the time you'll be disappointed though.

It'll look like crap too if you go anywhere near the in game AA settings, so you'll have to decide between sharp-ish and aliased, or blurry as all gently caress and not aliased. The best compromise seems to be lowering the in-game rendering scale, leaving some AA on, and cranking super sampling from outside the game with whatever tool you use to do it. 70-80% render scale, and 1.5 - 1.6x SS seem to be a sweet spot for me.

The god-awful pop in with shadows is what gets to me the most, but its been like that since release :(

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Pinny posted:

I'm running ACC on a Rift S with a 1080ti and an i7 6700k, both overclocked, and it runs ok I guess, you'll have to deal with ASW unless your ok with frequent frame drops. If your expecting your fps to be capped all the time you'll be disappointed though.

It'll look like crap too if you go anywhere near the in game AA settings, so you'll have to decide between sharp-ish and aliased, or blurry as all gently caress and not aliased. The best compromise seems to be lowering the in-game rendering scale, leaving some AA on, and cranking super sampling from outside the game with whatever tool you use to do it. 70-80% render scale, and 1.5 - 1.6x SS seem to be a sweet spot for me.

The god-awful pop in with shadows is what gets to me the most, but its been like that since release :(

You're prooooobably better off using the sharpening filters built into both AMD and Nvidia drivers instead.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

How are your pedals angled? Its usually down to driving position i.e being too close or too far away from the pedals or having to hold your foot at an unnatural angle

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Arzachel posted:

You're prooooobably better off using the sharpening filters built into both AMD and Nvidia drivers instead.

I haven't tried the sharpening filters in the drivers yet, but I doubt they'll help much with the blurriness the in-game AA settings introduce :(

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

How are your pedals angled? Its usually down to driving position i.e being too close or too far away from the pedals or having to hold your foot at an unnatural angle

Also there are times where I just fuckin stand on the pedal to try and make the car go faster.. it hasn't worked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pinny posted:

I haven't tried the sharpening filters in the drivers yet, but I doubt they'll help much with the blurriness the in-game AA settings introduce :(

Is it using FXAA?

Its important to know WHICH AA, they are not remotely similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

tater_salad posted:

Also there are times where I just fuckin stand on the pedal to try and make the car go faster.. it hasn't worked.

But you never know when it might, so keep it up.