Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SourKraut posted:

$25k-30k
Used
Minivan

expedite the van

KillHour posted:

Who has 3 kids and a dog and needs to get them to school REALLY fast?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-mercedes-benz-r63-26/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Throatwarbler posted:

TL;DR $48k buys you a lot of Maserati Quattroporte.

It doesn't buy you very much Maserati maintenance and repair work, though.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

skipdogg posted:

I totally get it. You spend a ton of time in your car, and you want to enjoy that time. I just want to make sure you know what you're getting into. I think you'd be better off getting something economical and comfortable for long haul driving, and something else for occasional use and having fun in.

What else have you considered? There's not a ton of performance sedans out there, and I'd have a hard time recommending any of them getting to 200K miles without some serious issues. You can keep anything on the road long enough if you have enough money though.

I appreciate all the responses on this.

I'd be content with something like 150k miles given a lot of feedback I've gotten. I'm looking at financing this thing for four years and don't want to end up upside down on a car that's on its last legs. I'm feeling relatively dissuaded from the S4 but I floated a 45k offer to the dealership while I consider my other options.

I've also been looking at BMW 3-series and Volvo S60s as competitors. I'm looking for an AWD due to snow on the daily drive at times. I sent messages to a bunch of dealerships about new A4s w/ driver assist and also went to see a new 2019 BMW 330i xDrive that seems to be on the verge of a good deal? Initial offer that I walked away from was 43.3k for a 51.5k MSRP. Still slightly preferred the overall feel of the A4 with the BMW just behind it but the Volvo probably would fit the bill too.

Small detail but I'd like to have a reasonably sized backseat, so that's keeping me away from a lot of purely sports/coupe options. I'm not going to a get a second "fun" car and a daily driver too; I drive enough during the work week that any fun I get is going to have to fit within the two hours I spend on the road every day. I'm looking for something in this class because I'm trying to hit a lot of different targets at an in-between price point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
new volvos are like the least reliable cars of all time, non-Italian and non-British division

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

The OP is asking about a German car they are interested in and the cars you've provided are essentially fancy toasters as opposed to driver's cars. We don't have enough feedback from the original question asker to know if this matters or not.

just fuckin lol if you think the current iteration S4 is a "driver's car"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

I was initially set on a Toyota Sienna because I really like Toyota, but I was looking at the IIHS results, and the Sienna is actually somewhat poor in safety in some areas it seems? The 2018 redesigned Odyssey seems to do well, so I've started looking at it, but it looks like from searching through past posts about it, some people here said to wait until the 2019 or 2020 models of the Odyssey for them to work the bugs out?

There's a 2018 Odyssey locally that seems to be a good deal, less than $30k, certified pre-own, the basic free Carfax info says one owner and no accidents, and about 20k miles on it. However seeing it's a 2018 so the initial redesign year, makes me even more nervous about it? (especially because I had a 2006 Civic coupe that had been the first year of that redesign, and holy poo poo did that car end up having problems several years in...)

So is the Sienna's safety issues potentially as big of a deal as IIHS seems to indicate?

Looked it up and it appears that the current Sienna basically bombed on the new passenger small offset crash test. Which, yeah, isn't great.

But the tricky thing about crash tests is that they change so much year to year. Small offset crash tests are only a recent addition, and they're really hard to pass. I would not be surprised if your current Mazda would do worse on that. If you don't have a reason to call the 3 unsafe, I wouldn't call the Sienna unsafe either.

Also, this may be my age talking, but I remember when a poor result would end up with a lot worse than "possible leg injury", such as the late 90s F150 where the cab basically disintegrated.

On the Odyssey, are there any documented reliability issues with the redesign? Automakers are increasingly just iterating on existing designs, so a new model might not have all that much that's mechanically different from it's predecessors.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

SourKraut posted:

Proposed Budget: $25k-30k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: "Minivan"
How will you be using the car?: Children transport, 10-15 mile commutes, family trips
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, reliability

We currently have a 2015 Mazda 3 hatch that has worked well for us with one child, but now with a second baby on the way, we're hoping for something a little more convenient. My wife also just had a minor accident in the Mazda 3 which made us want to expedite the van purchasing potentially, although ultimately it may just be sometime "this year".

I was initially set on a Toyota Sienna because I really like Toyota, but I was looking at the IIHS results, and the Sienna is actually somewhat poor in safety in some areas it seems? The 2018 redesigned Odyssey seems to do well, so I've started looking at it, but it looks like from searching through past posts about it, some people here said to wait until the 2019 or 2020 models of the Odyssey for them to work the bugs out?

There's a 2018 Odyssey locally that seems to be a good deal, less than $30k, certified pre-own, the basic free Carfax info says one owner and no accidents, and about 20k miles on it. However seeing it's a 2018 so the initial redesign year, makes me even more nervous about it? (especially because I had a 2006 Civic coupe that had been the first year of that redesign, and holy poo poo did that car end up having problems several years in...)

So is the Sienna's safety issues potentially as big of a deal as IIHS seems to indicate?

If you get a 2018 Odyssey make sure it’s the one with the 10 speed transmission. The 9 speed in lower trim levels is not great. It’s the same transmission used in the Pacifica and a lot of people have reliability problems with it across both brands.

Edit: the 10 speed is standard across all trims in 2020

edit: i was phone posting earlier so I was talking about SourKraut's van options

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 4, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Innocuous posted:

I'd be content with something like 150k miles given a lot of feedback I've gotten. I'm looking at financing this thing for four years and don't want to end up upside down on a car that's on its last legs. I'm feeling relatively dissuaded from the S4 but I floated a 45k offer to the dealership while I consider my other options.

I've also been looking at BMW 3-series and Volvo S60s as competitors. I'm looking for an AWD due to snow on the daily drive at times. I sent messages to a bunch of dealerships about new A4s w/ driver assist and also went to see a new 2019 BMW 330i xDrive that seems to be on the verge of a good deal? Initial offer that I walked away from was 43.3k for a 51.5k MSRP. Still slightly preferred the overall feel of the A4 with the BMW just behind it but the Volvo probably would fit the bill too.

Small detail but I'd like to have a reasonably sized backseat, so that's keeping me away from a lot of purely sports/coupe options. I'm not going to a get a second "fun" car and a daily driver too; I drive enough during the work week that any fun I get is going to have to fit within the two hours I spend on the road every day. I'm looking for something in this class because I'm trying to hit a lot of different targets at an in-between price point.

You don't need AWD for the possibility of snow on your daily commute - winter tires are 1000% more important and all cars have 4-wheel brakes. Where do you live?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Innocuous posted:

I think the 330i might be the happy compromise in your situation. I'm not a BMW expert though, not sure if they have any major issues.

You could always find a lightly used one at CarMax and then buy the longest warranty they have for peace of mind. (You could do this with the S4 as well if they'll warranty it).

Really though, it's your money and if the S4 is going to make you happy and you can afford to operate it, go have fun. Life is short man and tomorrow isn't promised. Enjoy that poo poo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

new volvos are like the least reliable cars of all time, non-Italian and non-British division

Ugh, this makes me sad. We're (I'm) beginning to think of a car to replace my wife's Macan next year (because she drives 30k miles/year) and she's mentioned that she'd like a wagon, but she doesn't like the look of the E-class. :negative:

That doesn't leave a lot of options for new/very recently used cars.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh, this makes me sad. We're (I'm) beginning to think of a car to replace my wife's Macan next year (because she drives 30k miles/year) and she's mentioned that she'd like a wagon, but she doesn't like the look of the E-class. :negative:

That doesn't leave a lot of options for new/very recently used cars.

2020 RS6 Avant is the correct answer here.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's it weird that I don't like the way the RS6 Avant looks?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KillHour posted:

It's it weird that I don't like the way the RS6 Avant looks?

Looks better when it goes by in a total blur of speed.

From the drivers seat it probably looks fine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The problem is the back is stupid and that's all anyone is going to see when you pass them :v:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've been driving a Cayman the last few years and I absolutely love it, but fatherhood is bearing down on me and two-seater mid engines just aren't going to cut the mustard, as they say. As loathe as I am to get rid of it, I'll be selling it in order to buy a family-capable (but not necessarily "family") car.

I'm mostly planning on doing a certified pre-owned, though may pick something up from Craigslist, as I've had nothing but good experiences doing that. I'm terribly tempted by a BMW three series or an a/s4, but the price of luxury thwarts me. I can get a 2017 330i or whatever for around 28k, which I can afford, but at the same time I can get a similar year civic for $10k less (or more). When I take into count maintenance costs and Edmonds tco, it's real hard to justify buying a BMW over a Honda. That $10k is a lot of new kitchen.

To that end, in eyeing a 2017/18 Civic Sport, as it like how it lands in the intersection of price, maintenance, reliability, space, and styling. My question to you guys is whether there's some other model I've overlooked that would be a significant upgrade over that, all factors considered.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

The Wonder Weapon posted:

To that end, in eyeing a 2017/18 Civic Sport, as it like how it lands in the intersection of price, maintenance, reliability, space, and styling. My question to you guys is whether there's some other model I've overlooked that would be a significant upgrade over that, all factors considered.

For what it's worth, you can get a 2020 Civic Si for about $22k. Are you looking at the Civic Sport hatch or sedan?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

TheWevel posted:

For what it's worth, you can get a 2020 Civic Si for about $22k. Are you looking at the Civic Sport hatch or sedan?

Hatch. Something like this.

https://www.westherr.com/certified/Honda/2017-Honda-Civic-eaf92a300a0e0a17016b669533623afa.htm

Is there something particular about 2020 Si that makes it notable, beyond being the newest version of the sportiest model?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://www.westherr.com/certified/Honda/2017-Honda-Civic-eaf92a300a0e0a17016b669533623afa.htm

Is there something particular about 2020 Si that makes it notable, beyond being the newest version of the sportiest model?

Looking at Edmunds, the Si will give you the following over a Sport hatch: limited-slip differential, adaptive dampers, bigger brakes, sport seats that are also heated, dual-zone auto climate control, a sunroof, and the premium stereo from the Touring sedan.

A Civic is also one of those cars where the depreciation curve makes more sense to buy new, because you just aren't saving that much with a lightly used one. Civic Sis in particular have a very friendly depreciation curve that's closer to a Wrangler or 4Runner than any car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Type R is the sportiest Civic

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

A Civic is also one of those cars where the depreciation curve makes more sense to buy new, because you just aren't saving that much with a lightly used one. Civic Sis in particular have a very friendly depreciation curve that's closer to a Wrangler or 4Runner than any car.

Yeah, this was the case when I bought my CR-V as well. Hondas in general have low depreciation, and the pricing on them new / dealer incentives / subsidized financing can make up the difference really quickly.

KillHour posted:

If it's not a Type R, it's not a tyte car.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

Looking at Edmunds, the Si will give you the following over a Sport hatch: limited-slip differential, adaptive dampers, bigger brakes, sport seats that are also heated, dual-zone auto climate control, a sunroof, and the premium stereo from the Touring sedan.

Also worth noting is that I think beginning with the '19s (?), all Civic trims get the Honda driver safety assist stuff standard. And the sport gets CarPlay/Android Auto.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

IOwnCalculus posted:

Looked it up and it appears that the current Sienna basically bombed on the new passenger small offset crash test. Which, yeah, isn't great.

But the tricky thing about crash tests is that they change so much year to year. Small offset crash tests are only a recent addition, and they're really hard to pass. I would not be surprised if your current Mazda would do worse on that. If you don't have a reason to call the 3 unsafe, I wouldn't call the Sienna unsafe either.

Also, this may be my age talking, but I remember when a poor result would end up with a lot worse than "possible leg injury", such as the late 90s F150 where the cab basically disintegrated.

On the Odyssey, are there any documented reliability issues with the redesign? Automakers are increasingly just iterating on existing designs, so a new model might not have all that much that's mechanically different from it's predecessors.

TheWevel posted:

If you get a 2018 Odyssey make sure it’s the one with the 10 speed transmission. The 9 speed in lower trim levels is not great. It’s the same transmission used in the Pacifica and a lot of people have reliability problems with it across both brands.

Edit: the 10 speed is standard across all trims in 2020

edit: i was phone posting earlier so I was talking about SourKraut's van options

Thank you both! It makes me think I should go back to looking at Siennas also; the used 2018 Odyssey I was looking at did have the 9-speed, and it's funny: when I was on Honda's actual certified website to search for cars, I kept seeing all these complaints from social media popping up about how bad the 9-speed is, that their website was autopopulating. So it made me want to look to see just how bad the 9 speed issues have been.

Also, given the thread title I'm sure I already know the answer, but we should typically avoid buying ex-rental cars I'm assuming? I saw some good deals on 2018 and 2019 Siennas from Hertz Car Sales locally, but I think I know the reason for those good deals...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

The problem is the back is stupid and that's all anyone is going to see when you pass them :v:

the back is stupid, the front looks like an anime, and the interior is one giant screen. i hate to admit this but E63 supremacy for sure

I've been driving a Cayman the last few years and I absolutely love it... My question to you guys is whether there's some other model I've overlooked that would be a significant upgrade over that, all factors considered.

Honda Accord Sport 2.0T. probably 80% of the fun of the Si in a bigger package with more power. The new Civics are decently big but if it's space, economy, safety, and reasonably lively handling you're after, the Accord is still really tough to beat.

SourKraut posted:

Also, given the thread title I'm sure I already know the answer, but we should typically avoid buying ex-rental cars I'm assuming? I saw some good deals on 2018 and 2019 Siennas from Hertz Car Sales locally, but I think I know the reason for those good deals...

thread title exists for a reason friend

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe there’s been new developments since I last looked at this but I don’t think the zf nine speed has any actual reliability issues, it’s just an unpleasant transmission to live with due to the harsh shifting? All I know is that a small batch of the very first year that went into the Jeep cherokees had a manufacturing flaw but that’s it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

they don't break people just hate the programming

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I may be trading in a Honda Pilot in the next few months to get into something smaller. The SUV has glass damage that probably can't be patched. Is it more cost-effective to replace the windshield myself and hope for a higher trade-in, or just detail it the best I can and let the dealership worry about the glass?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

The first MY of the new Odyssey rated as badly as the Pacifica in Consumer Reports' reliability surveys. Weird, because the Pilot and Ridgeline on the same platform have graded out okay (though not to the old Honda standard.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

saintonan posted:

I may be trading in a Honda Pilot in the next few months to get into something smaller. The SUV has glass damage that probably can't be patched. Is it more cost-effective to replace the windshield myself and hope for a higher trade-in, or just detail it the best I can and let the dealership worry about the glass?

don't you have glass coverage? if no, carry glass coverage. if you have it, use it.

if you don't, i'd just trade it in. they'll knock off a couple hundred bucks probably.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Godzilla07 posted:

The first MY of the new Odyssey rated as badly as the Pacifica in Consumer Reports' reliability surveys. Weird, because the Pilot and Ridgeline on the same platform have graded out okay (though not to the old Honda standard.)

That’s just CR being CR(which is not necessarily a good thing).

Drill down into the individual categories: wow! Everything is green across the board except for.... the radio/nav system. I dunno about you, but the entire car being :thumbsup: for reliability and operation except the loving radio seems pretty good, certainly not worth a NO DONT BUY IT EVAR.

Besides, I’ve driven a new Odyssey, its not great, but not bad enough to trash the entire car. poo poo, its better than that horrid Sync system that Ford used for years.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

JnnyThndrs posted:

That’s just CR being CR(which is not necessarily a good thing).

I'm amused at the red marks in the older models for brakes. Did Honda gently caress up the caliper or ABS or something? Or are there people who are mad about putting pads and rotors in a seven year old car?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

honda brakes are notoriously short-lived and the stopping performance also sucks

i don't know what it is about that company but they cannot source and spec a decent brake pad

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm amused at the red marks in the older models for brakes. Did Honda gently caress up the caliper or ABS or something? Or are there people who are mad about putting pads and rotors in a seven year old car?

My mom was kinda mad that an oil change on her new Honda isn't covered by the warranty.

(to be fair, her last two cars had oil changes covered by an extended warranty that they bought)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Uthor posted:

My mom was kinda mad that an oil change on her new Honda isn't covered by the warranty.

(to be fair, her last two cars had oil changes covered by an extended warranty that they bought)

there was a big trend towards included first (or more) maintenance in like, 2015-2019 but that seems to be going away for mass market cars

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

honda brakes are notoriously short-lived and the stopping performance also sucks

i don't know what it is about that company but they cannot source and spec a decent brake pad

I'll agree that it seems like they wear pads out a bit sooner - there was a point where we had at least three Accords in the family and all of them ate rear pads in about 40k. My CR-V goes through rear pads first as well but I've still only done two pad swaps on it in 170k miles. But to me, that doesn't count as something I'd be all that upset about, since pad swaps are cheap even at shops.

The only time I've found the performance to be inadequate is when the dipshit at the wheel didn't use them.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I know there was a period in the late ‘00’s- early ‘10’s where Accords warped rotors like crazy, to the point where I just did new rotors at brake changes rather than even attempt to turn them, but they seem ok now - at least not any worse than anything else.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'll agree that it seems like they wear pads out a bit sooner - there was a point where we had at least three Accords in the family and all of them ate rear pads in about 40k. My CR-V goes through rear pads first as well but I've still only done two pad swaps on it in 170k miles. But to me, that doesn't count as something I'd be all that upset about, since pad swaps are cheap even at shops.

The only time I've found the performance to be inadequate is when the dipshit at the wheel didn't use them.

if you find any class comparo from like 1990-2015, it's almost certain the honda will be dead last in X-0 stopping distance

40k was pretty standard for honda brakes at that point. i am sure that they've improved somewhat as it's very hard not to do better than that. i don't think it's a dealbreaker on buying a honda, but it's really perplexing why they can't get it right.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

After poking around, here are my concerns with the Si relative to other civic models (sport hatch in particular)
1. Considerably less space. Transporting my two dogs (shih tzus) and my wife in my Cayman means the dogs ride on the engine. Doing the same in her civic sedan can be tight when you add in the dog bag, a cake carrier, etc. She doesn't travel terribly light. Adding a kid and a stroller, etc is going to mean I need some room. I'm not convinced I need to go full suv, but it is something I'm keeping in mind
2. There are basically no new 2019 Sis around here, as best as I can tell. There are 2020s, but at 26k, I'm back to the price point of "is that really better than a 17k used one"
3. While I've only ever owned manuals, and I love them, my new commute to work has me in a lot of exactly the type of traffic that makes manuals miserable, and for the first time in my life I'm wondering if an auto wouldn't make more sense, at least for now

KillHour posted:

Right, right. I looked at those too, with no expectation other than disappointing myself. They're quite cool, and a complete waste of money (for me)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Honda Accord Sport 2.0T. probably 80% of the fun of the Si in a bigger package with more power. The new Civics are decently big but if it's space, economy, safety, and reasonably lively handling you're after, the Accord is still really tough to beat.
This sounds great too, but I'm at the issue of availability (maybe 3 or 4 new 2019s in the city),and price (32k for a new 2019). I've absolutely no doubt the car is a great vehicle, but that's a hefty price tag. It looks like kbb on a 2015 Accord is about 14k, which means after 5 years it's probably lost half its value. Losing 16k in equity on a new Accord would be tough.

Both the Si and the Accord sport 2.0 look like great cars, but I'm mostly having trouble with the price tags when considered against the other options. Are they 10k better than a civic sport? Sure. Are they worth 10k more to me personally? Ehh, that's tough to rationalize.

I saw a cool looking Kia on the drive home but it turns out it was a stinger and they're 50k

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is no "equity" in a car, never was

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you wanna save some money honda accord sport 1.5T - and if you're doing automatic you can step down to the LX to save some money.

the civic hatch is not that much more usefully large than the civic sedan. there's a bit more cube under the hatch but it's not bigger in the passenger compartment and it's not longer. the hatch is also very steeply raked so you don't get that much out of that additional cube unless you are carrying sloping objects.

edit: cars aren't assets (well they are, they're depreciating assets), they're something that provides necessary utility, balancing cost with other utility factors including use case requirements and personal taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Both the Si and the Accord sport 2.0 look like great cars, but I'm mostly having trouble with the price tags when considered against the other options. Are they 10k better than a civic sport? Sure. Are they worth 10k more to me personally? Ehh, that's tough to rationalize.

I notice you keep mentioning MSRP and not actual transaction prices. Sedans are dead, nobody is buying them, and and the people that are buying them aren't paying MSRP. Once you factor that in, it really doesn't make sense to pay 18k for a used Civic when for not much more you're getting a brand new car.