Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Oracle posted:

The Republicans literally changed the Senate rules when they got power to do this though.

They changed the rules to force Warren to vote for Trump's trade bill?

Big if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BiggerBoat posted:

538 hasn't moved

Hm.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 5, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The House voted on the articles on December 18th. As you can see, this clearly inflamed public passions against the impeachment effort, shifting Trump's approval numbers from 43.4% approve/52.2% disapprove on that date to...43.5% approve/52.1% disapprove today. If you just look at 538's numbers for likely/registered voters it's 44.6% and 51.7% before and 44.1%/52.2% today. Hm indeed.

In other news, the White House is allegedly telling reporters that Trump isn't going mention impeachment during the SOTU tonight.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

The House voted on the articles on December 18th. As you can see, this clearly inflamed public passions against the impeachment effort, shifting Trump's approval numbers from 43.4% approve/52.2% disapprove on that date to...43.5% approve/52.1% disapprove today. If you just look at 538's numbers for likely/registered voters it's 44.6% and 51.7% before and 44.1%/52.2% today. Hm indeed.

In other news, the White House is allegedly telling reporters that Trump isn't going mention impeachment during the SOTU tonight.

Trump is now way more popular than when he took office. Let that sink in.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lambert posted:

That is also not what the numbers show. According to the 538 data you just posted his approval was 45.5% and dispproval 41.3% immediately after inauguration, literally the only time he's had net positive approval, at +4.2%. He's currently at 43.5%/52.1%, or a net approval of -8.6%.

So using what you just posted, he's double digits less popular today than when he took office. Specifically 12.8% less.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Countdown to trump’s I LEARNED NOTHING BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING TO LEARN, PERFECT PHONE CALL tweet

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1224862178131554304

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lambert posted:

this is objectively wrong and why are you posting it in this thread

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

That is also not what the numbers show. According to the 538 data you just posted his approval was 45.5% and dispproval 41.3% immediately after inauguration, literally the only time he's had net positive approval, at +4.2%. He's currently at 43.5%/52.1%, or a net approval of -8.6%.

So using what you just posted, he's double digits less popular today than when he took office. Specifically 12.8% less.

Yeah, just realized I was looking at the wrong date.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah whats funny is alot of the "smarter" chuds are gonna still gently caress themselves with the base because they didnt kowtow til their faces were smashed it. collins and lamar and others will learn this.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah whats funny is alot of the "smarter" chuds are gonna still gently caress themselves with the base because they didnt kowtow til their faces were smashed it. collins and lamar and others will learn this.

Yep. Even a hint of dissent will bring out the buzzards because authoritarian systems tend towards cannibalism. Sooner or later the ingroup becomes so small and selective that only a handful of 'True Patriots' remain and it collapses.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Data Graham posted:

Countdown to trump’s I LEARNED NOTHING BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING TO LEARN, PERFECT PHONE CALL tweet

Come on down to claim your prize!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Is the prize release from this hell world? Because if it is, I’m going to be making a lot more predictions

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't get the chance to suffer though the SOTU. How much impeachment brag and bluster did he barf out?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Framboise posted:

Didn't get the chance to suffer though the SOTU. How much impeachment brag and bluster did he barf out?

not yet. its mostly stupid empty poo poo and jerking off to various facists and poo poo.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

not yet. its mostly stupid empty poo poo and jerking off to various facists and poo poo.

Yeah I found a transcript and scanned through most of it. He seemed strangely out of character. Plenty of brag and bluster and lies but it looks like generally tried to stay on positive notes without lashing out much beyond immigration policy and M4A.

I wonder if he's feeling uneasy; any other time I feel like he'd just treat this like another rally where he just rambles like a demented fucknut.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Framboise posted:

Yeah I found a transcript and scanned through most of it. He seemed strangely out of character. Plenty of brag and bluster and lies but it looks like generally tried to stay on positive notes without lashing out much beyond immigration policy and M4A.

I wonder if he's feeling uneasy; any other time I feel like he'd just treat this like another rally where he just rambles like a demented fucknut.

well the SOTU thread seems to think he will sweep the election now but yeah pretty much.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well the SOTU thread seems to think he will sweep the election now but yeah pretty much.

It certainly doesn't ease my anxiety on the matter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Framboise posted:

It certainly doesn't ease my anxiety on the matter.

well its alot of mcmagic types. debate is friday and trump will piss away all the good will by tomorrow.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean, the last 24 hours have been a 1-2000 punch of Iowa loving up its caucus, Dem In Disarray headlines, Trump tickling the underbelly of 50% approval rating for the first time in his presidency after being all but acquitted in the Senate, and then watching the Republicans lockstep hooting and hollering in adoration at Trump's hosed up reality show SOTU--again in contrast to Dems In Disarry.

No wonder people think he's probably gonna win again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, the last 24 hours have been a 1-2000 punch of Iowa loving up its caucus, Dem In Disarray headlines, Trump tickling the underbelly of 50% approval rating for the first time in his presidency after being all but acquitted in the Senate, and then watching the Republicans lockstep hooting and hollering in adoration at Trump's hosed up reality show SOTU--again in contrast to Dems In Disarry.

No wonder people think he's probably gonna win again.

one loving poll said 49%, the rest are the same as they have been. chuds are gonna loving chud and licks trumps rear end as he does his sundowning circus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

one loving poll said 49%, the rest are the same as they have been. chuds are gonna loving chud and licks trumps rear end as he does his sundowning circus.

the problem is this entire impeachment nonsense has ended with an even wetter fart than most of us expected, and the dems have fully revealed they're willing to do literally anything to avoid supporting bernie as an organization we're left with a national party that's completely sidelined real issues just to grandstand about one of the most boring of Trump's crimes, after YEARS now of bragging about not 'giving in' to impeachment for stuff like, ya know, the fascism, the murder of kids, the rapes he's been accused of, the CHILD RAPES HE AND HIS BROWNSHIRTS HAVE BOTH BEEN ACCUSED OF. No one thinks Trump's gonna get a massive wave of new supporters, we're worried that once again the voters we need will be depressed by an apathetic (at best, at worst straight up fascist sympathetic) opposition while Trump's chuds are going into things feeling vindicated and horned up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

the problem is this entire impeachment nonsense has ended with an even wetter fart than most of us expected, and the dems have fully revealed they're willing to do literally anything to avoid supporting bernie as an organization we're left with a national party that's completely sidelined real issues just to grandstand about one of the most boring of Trump's crimes, after YEARS now of bragging about not 'giving in' to impeachment for stuff like, ya know, the fascism, the murder of kids, the rapes he's been accused of, the CHILD RAPES HE AND HIS BROWNSHIRTS HAVE BOTH BEEN ACCUSED OF. No one thinks Trump's gonna get a massive wave of new supporters, we're worried that once again the voters we need will be depressed by an apathetic (at best, at worst straight up fascist sympathetic) opposition while Trump's chuds are going into things feeling vindicated and horned up.

idk. 2018 still has me convinced enough people will come out and vote trump and the impeachment will probably help toss a few senators.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
speaking of, what's the odds we lose Manchin and have to hear more crowing about how the only 'bipartisan' part of impeachment was being AGAINST it? He's been squealing about censure and poo poo all weekend before this.

e: or Sinema, who is just a complete loving coward

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

speaking of, what's the odds we lose Manchin and have to hear more crowing about how the only 'bipartisan' part of impeachment was being AGAINST it? He's been squealing about censure and poo poo all weekend before this.

possible. but who knows.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it feels like 'who knows' is a bad place to be, though. Like, 'why are you in leadership' bad for Chuck and poo poo.

I mean, we know exactly what all the R's will be voting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

it feels like 'who knows' is a bad place to be, though. Like, 'why are you in leadership' bad for Chuck and poo poo.

I mean, we know exactly what all the R's will be voting.

i think they will probably keep him in line. as i said. i am not worried. Bernie probably won Iowa. trump will piss away good will again. debate is friday and NH is next week.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk. 2018 still has me convinced enough people will come out and vote trump and the impeachment will probably help toss a few senators.

The energy from 2018 has faded, and none of the democratic candidates have broad appeal. Bernie loses the centrists, the centrists lose the left, all while the the insane half of the country are more unified than ever.

Trump probably wins with the same map as 2016, and maybe extends his lead by flipping a state like MN.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

TyrantWD posted:

The energy from 2018 has faded, and none of the democratic candidates have broad appeal. Bernie loses the centrists, the centrists lose the left, all while the the insane half of the country are more unified than ever.

Trump probably wins with the same map as 2016, and maybe extends his lead by flipping a state like MN.

The only way Trump wins Minnesota is if the Democratic candidate comes out in favor of Polymet and Trump comes out against it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

karthun posted:

The only way Trump wins Minnesota is if the Democratic candidate comes out in favor of Polymet and Trump comes out against it.

He was within 1.5 points last time around. He just needs a quarter of the 2016 Gary Johnson/McMuffin voters to flip in his favor and he wins.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

TyrantWD posted:

The energy from 2018 has faded

The Virginia flip to Democrat and Kentucky electing a Democratic governor were both in 2019, not 2018.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So what time is this vote again? Did Manchin or Sienma say they were voting to acquit yet?

https://twitter.com/KellieMeyerNews/status/1225084293157990400
Doug Jones isn't being craven scum to try to save his seat. He deserves credit for that. He could've been a GIANT piece of poo poo and he hasn't for the most part.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 5, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

mcmagic posted:

So what time is this vote again? Did Manchin or Sienma say they were voting to acquit yet?

Doug Jones isn't being craven scum to try to save his seat. He deserves credit for that. He could've been a GIANT piece of poo poo and he hasn't for the most part.

4pm ET

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Xombie posted:

The Virginia flip to Democrat and Kentucky electing a Democratic governor were both in 2019, not 2018.

The Virginia flip isn’t much to write home about. Virginia is basically an extension of MD/DC, and the GOP only retained control on a literal coin flip last time around.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mcmagic posted:

He's smart enough to know that if he pretends he's a Republican, he'll just get replaced by a real one. May as well do something useful that might have a slim chance of saving your rear end instead of doing nothing and being guaranteed to be replaced.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

KillHour posted:

He's smart enough to know that if he pretends he's a Republican, he'll just get replaced by a real one. May as well do something useful that might have a slim chance of saving your rear end instead of doing nothing and being guaranteed to be replaced.

Right but people should remember how Jones behaved when they look at the actions of people like Joe Manchin and Sinema.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

TyrantWD posted:

The Virginia flip isn’t much to write home about. Virginia is basically an extension of MD/DC, and the GOP only retained control on a literal coin flip last time around.

What you personally think is "much to write home about" isn't really worth considering for anyone else. Your analysis shouldn't be taken seriously if you can't even get basic timelines straight and have to scramble to retcon your opinion after that's pointed out.

"Voting is not an accurate indicator of voting" is not a real argument. No one is impressed by your steadfast loyalty to cynicism in the face of reality.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 5, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Right but people should remember how Jones behaved when they look at the actions of people like Joe Manchin and Sinema.

Both of those are incumbents who didn't get in by a fluke like Jones. They actually think they can keep their jobs by being craven.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xombie posted:

State and local races apparently don't matter :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

KillHour posted:

Both of those are incumbents who didn't get in by a fluke like Jones. They actually think they can keep their jobs by being craven.

Bullshit. Neither of them are up for FOUR more years... If they behave like craven scum, it's because they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

State and local races apparently don't matter :v:

A blue state has a blue congress? Wow, what a great achievement.

If we are looking for data points of energy and enthusiasm, Democrats doing well in Virginia is not something that should be on the list.