Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

These summaries have The Evil Royal Seal of Approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Cooked Auto posted:

ON THE GREEN!

I wonder we can evolve this even further by just having the summaries and still get the point across.

BIRDIE!

I DID IT!

PLAYER ONE STRIKES BACK!

I mean, I could probably manage that. Most of the dialogue either takes too long to get its point across, or basically goes nowhere fast.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

These summaries have The Evil Royal Seal of Approval.

I won't let ya down, boss!

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Ha, those summaries are great!

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Love the summaries. Love the golf. I expect more summaries and more golf. And summaries about golf.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 24: Character Stories: War and Art

Welcome back to anime-land, be sure to take a seat and buckle your seatbelts because this is going to be one thriller of an update.

...If you thought I was serious, you don't seem to have read the last few updates.

Today we're covering the ends of Helmut's and Chloe's stories. I don't think Chloe was even voted for, but whatever. She got enough use in burning through missions to get hers done anyways.

Anyways, Helmut's up first. His previous updates consisted of him getting harassed for being an Imperial and getting harassed by Zeri for being an Imperial soldier.

Today he's going to take even more verbal abuse.

---

~Classroom - Helmut's 3rd Event~

Music - Briefing

: The rebels are attacking a village up in the Diebal Mountains.

You'll come to find out that the Diebal Mountains gets attacked a lot.

: Squad B is already there, but they're being pushed back and need support.
: Now the order's come to us. We need to hurry to the briefing room!
: Okay. Zeri, Helmut! I want you coming with!

: He's from the Empire. The ones that started the Darcsen hunts.
: There's no way he's going to risk his life to stop them now.

: What...?

*Siren bell rings*

: There's the bell, guys. We can talk on the way. For now, get ready to go!
: You just don't get it, Avan.
: You have no idea how many Darcsens suffered and died because of them.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Hey guys, I'm exposition fairy for today! There's a Darcsen village getting attacked in the mountain. Class B sucks and can't handle the heat.
: Alright, let's go get 'em! Let's go, Zeri and Helmut!
: But he's racist! He won't help! He's part of the problem!
: I'll do it.
: :what:
: Let's go, let's go, let's go!
: Curse you Avan, you're preventing me from getting properly edgy and tsundere! Don't trust that dude!

----

Yep, that's basically the gist of it.

The mission's basically the same as Mischlitt's mission, except it's just a capture mission not eliminate all enemies mission.

It's really nothing much to show. The game throws its usual tricks, and I handle it with the usual tricks.

Let's move on to its ending.

---

~ Diebal Mountains - Helmut's 4th Event ~

|Listen to the voice acting here, because, yes, I'm still recording these|

Music: Theme of Class G

: Hmm. I don't see any serious injuries. Can you stand, son?

:geno: : Y-yeah. I'm okay. Thank you.

: No thanks necessary. Go see the medic there. She'll patch you up.

:geno: : Okay!

: I'm a soldier. I have my orders, and I'll carry them out.
: So it's because someone told you to.
: You wouldn't bother to help them otherwise.

: I will grant you that I, like many of my people, am not very fond of you.
: But my thoughts on the subject have no place in this operation.
: I am a soldier, and I will fulfill my duty.
: Even if it's Gallia cracking the whip.

: As such, it falls on me to obey whatever orders Gallia sees fit to give.
: That is what I can do for my country.
: Hm...
: I don't ask that you understand.
: We may be squad mates, but you are still a Darcsen.

: I'm inclined to agree. We'll never forgive what the Empire did to us.
: ...But I also won't forget what you're doing to help this village now.
: Hmph.

: Ugh, why does he always pick the worst times to show up?
: Our chat is at an end. Let's get back to helping these people.
: One step ahead of you. Come on, Helmut.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Hey look, we did it! Let's make sure everyone's okay!

*Finds trapped Darcsen kid*

: Hey kid, you don't look so bad. There's a medic over there.

:geno: : Cool, thanks!

: An Imperial helping a Darcsen!? This does not compute!
: Just doing my job.
: You're only doing it because Gallia said so!
: I'll admit I don't like you, but I'm going to restate that this is my job, kid. If I didn't do it, we'd all go up in flames when the ceasefire drops.
: I find myself at a loss for words.
: We're not likely to forgive one another, so let's just drop it.
: *Zeri will remember that.*
: Hey, what's up? You two making out or something?
: Let's just get back to work. This is going nowhere.

----------

Put simply, Helmut's just a loyal soldier. He's doing his job because the ceasefire will probably fall apart if he doesn't, even if his role is mostly meaningless. He doesn't like Darcsens, but he's just going to follow whatever his orders are. His only personality trait is loyalty, basically.

This game took way too long to explain that. Whatever, that was Helmut. He gets Soldier's Pride as a potential, which basically just ends up being the same as Defense Boost. Not really that bad for one of the tankiest scouts.

Now that Zeri's gotten to get edgy, it's time to let Chloe do the same. Last time we saw Chloe she was being harassed by Avan and then having her personal space invaded by Avan.

-----

~Hallway - Chloe's Third Event~

Music: Briefing

: I'm glad you asked. This rabbit is different.
: The snowfall hare is a variant almost never seen near populated areas.
: They say its snow-white pelt and doe eyes can melt a heart at 30 paces!

*Bam*

: Ooh! Perfect! Maybe that rabbit will spark an idea for a painting!
: Rabbit? What rabbit? Do you always just shout these things at people?
: Lotte, did we have any open missions in the mountains?
: Umm... Yeah, there was a follow-up on a sighting of some rebels up there.

: We'll track down that snowfall hare while we handle that patrol!
: Are you daft, Avan? I;m not looking for a model while dodging bullets!
: Aw, don't be like that. Just be dressed and set to go in an hour!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Hey, dude, I'm the exposition fairy for today! There's a fancy rabbit in the mountains!
: Oh, uh, cool. Whatever.
: It's really cute and-

*wham*

: Oops, I guess I was lost in thought.
: Hey, Chloe. we're running off to the mountain to track down a legendary rabbit for your next painting!
: What the gently caress?
: You nearly killed me, dude!
: No questions, go get dressed now!
: Stop dragging me away! You're not my mom!
: Don't forget about me, dude!

----

Yep, that's how this is going. Avan will never respect personal space, and will continue to drag Chloe around.

No, Lotte isn't included on this mission either. It's limited to just Avan and Chloe, and consists of one area with an eliminate enemies requirement. It's a pain to do without one of the two being a sniper, but tolerable otherwise.

There's not much to mention aside from that getting a 1 turn rank requires you to finish off the enemy with counter attacks/interception fire.

It's not worth showing, really. Imagine an epic firefight while we just move onto her finale.

----

~ Diebal Mountains - Chloe's 4th Event ~

|Listen to the voice acting here|

: But that's what makes it a subject worth painting!
: I'm not going back 'til I find it! I don't care if I freeze my buns off!
: That's an image in itself. But why does this have you so worked up?
: Whether I get over this block or not doesn't affect you at all.

: Well, I want another try, and that means you've got to paint something.
: Oh yeah?
: And you said the painting back at school was one you had to do, right?
: Well, if I'm going to be taking a crack at your art, I want it to count.
: Plus even that one's great, so the real deal must be amazing!
: Maybe too amazing for a guy like me to get, but I want to try.

: Been a while since I was able to paint anything.
: Painting war scene after war scene, I lost track of what I wanted to say.
: I lost my voice. Sitting in front of a blank canvas started to hurt.
: But now I think I've got something worth painting.
: Seriously?! Is the rabbit here?

: Me?! are you serious?
: Very much so. This may well be my first portrait.
: Let's head back. I want to get this down before I lose the spark.

Music: Days With Classmates

: Uh, Chloe?
: Stop fidgeting. Just keep those eyes straight ahead, hmm?
: Every muscle in my body is cramping up. Are we almost done?
: Buck up, kid. You're going to be in a Chloe Blixen original.

: Ha ha, just you wait...

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Curse you, wily wabbit! Where awe you!?
: Are you sure this thing even exists?
: My rear end is freezing off, but I'm going to find it!
: I didn't need that mental image. Why do you care anyways?
: I must understand your amazing art! I might never understand, but I have to!
: Huh. My creative block is suddenly gone. I'm know what I'm going to paint now.
: Wow, where's the rabbit!?
: There isn't any rabbit, dumbass. I'm going to paint a portrait of you immediately. Let's get going!
: Wait up!

*Back at the art room*

: Can I move yet?
: No.
: But I'm cramping!
: Tough luck. Now sit still- I need to be sure this drool is in the right spot.

-------

The ending of that feels partially like revenge against Avan, and I'm all for it. The change happens really fast, which makes it feel a bit anticlimactic.

Chloe's not that a bad character, though the events don't really do her or Avan much good. It's an interesting premise at least, the idea of a disillusioned war scene painter, but like many things, this game just doesn't do it well. (Maybe it does, but I'm incredibly disillusioned with this game.)

Anyways, that's it for today's update. Yeah, it's short, I know, but I needed to get these two out of the way. I wouldn't be able to fit them in without cluttering the other updates so they got one to themselves.

Next time we'll be doing Raymond's story, since... well, hell if I know. I just picked one and wrote the update for it already.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I really like Helmuts story. He is still racist, but he's not letting personal feelings stop him from doing his job. It's more than a lot of characters in this get.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Senerio posted:

I really like Helmuts story. He is still racist, but he's not letting personal feelings stop him from doing his job. It's more than a lot of characters in this get.

I like this as well, but I also like the fact that his side story doesn't end with a big moment where he goes "I see now that I was wrong and I will instantly change my entire worldview because the JRPG protagonist talked at me for a little bit."

Don't get me wrong, racism=bad, but I'm tired of characters like this dropping everything they've been indoctrinated to believe over the course of a few lines of dialogue with the protagonist. It normally takes time to get through people like this. You don't just walk up to someone and go "Hey! Stop that! Your opinion is wrong!" and then have them turn everything around.

I like this idea that Helmut is still a racist boot-licker, but his time in Gallia has maybe given him a bit of pause and is leading him to reconsider his stance. Rosie and Isara had the same dynamic, except they had an entire game to carry out that character arc.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I mean, it's what I'd expect from a grown man seeing the bigger picture and realizing what his personal feelings amount to in a war scenario. (That is, nothing. something the rest of the game doesn't seem to grasp)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey guys remember how Alicia is working at this school and she's literally a valkyria? whaaaaaaaaaaaacky poo poo~

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

SSNeoman posted:

Hey guys remember how Alicia is working at this school and she's literally a valkyria? whaaaaaaaaaaaacky poo poo~

She shows up again. Like, maybe two more times. I think she'll show up again next month and then she won't be around until another 4 or so months.

No, this game will eventually become very focused on murder child.

On that note, I've actually beaten the game already. It's underwhelming.

Psycho Knight posted:

I like this as well, but I also like the fact that his side story doesn't end with a big moment where he goes "I see now that I was wrong and I will instantly change my entire worldview because the JRPG protagonist talked at me for a little bit."

Don't get me wrong, racism=bad, but I'm tired of characters like this dropping everything they've been indoctrinated to believe over the course of a few lines of dialogue with the protagonist. It normally takes time to get through people like this. You don't just walk up to someone and go "Hey! Stop that! Your opinion is wrong!" and then have them turn everything around.

I like this idea that Helmut is still a racist boot-licker, but his time in Gallia has maybe given him a bit of pause and is leading him to reconsider his stance. Rosie and Isara had the same dynamic, except they had an entire game to carry out that character arc.

Senerio posted:

He's probably one of the better written characters in the end. It particularly helps that his story isn't marred by this game's lack of consistency in tone, as it has more to do with the world than spur of the moment hijinks.

And he's not even that complicated of a character.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

How far through the game are we?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

How far through the game are we?

LP-wise, halfway through April.

This game goes all the way until December. :negative:

Edit: Update-wise, excluding bonus updates, this puts us at 14 more updates. That's including the one for the end of this month, and an extra one for the finale since it takes so drat long.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 3, 2020

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

The Flying Twybil posted:

LP-wise, halfway through April.

This game goes all the way until December. :negative:

Edit: Update-wise, excluding bonus updates, this puts us at 14 more updates. That's including the one for the end of this month, and an extra one for the finale since it takes so drat long.

God save your immortal soul. Make sure you play something actually fun so you don't run mad down the moonlit streets.

Also, surprisingly okay thing with Helmut. I appreciate he didn't deviate from his character set up at the beginning. Would be nice to see his story progress further (and interacting with better written characters).

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

DelilahFlowers posted:

God save your immortal soul. Make sure you play something actually fun so you don't run mad down the moonlit streets.

Also, surprisingly okay thing with Helmut. I appreciate he didn't deviate from his character set up at the beginning. Would be nice to see his story progress further (and interacting with better written characters).

I've found out the hard way you really have to have something else enjoyable on the side when doing an LP of an awful game like this. I've beaten the game already and I'm just writing the events out of the yearbook (lets you watch old events) but even that in its own regard is draining. The last thing I'm going to do is let this game get the better of me- it got close once, but never again.

Helmut's not going to get any more progression in this game aside from maybe one or two lines in a few daily events as far as I know. The last bit of character development that this game gives for him is his 3rd yearbook entry, unlocked after beating the game, which I'll show off when we get there. The same mostly goes for any character that isn't part of the main story.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The classmate missions are all a total slog gameplay wise. It's rather tiresome tbh.

I found this thread by chance but everything I would have said has been in the previous pages, except for the expression that I doubt anyone would have gotten mad if you had slapped in a cheat to get all the stupid mobile game grind out of the way, certificates and the like. I assume you're using PPSSPP to play.

Melissa Dalen was the character I enjoyed most not really because of her arc but because of her battle quotes. her actress always made using her as a sniper quite nice.

unfortunately I don't really have much else to say as a VC fan. all I remember was being really upset and thinking the series was dead with the advent of this one, combining all the horrible elements of Shounen High School into a slice of life anime that didn't give two flips about the tone that needed to be set. that's why it was so surprising to me that VC3 was able to exist and be the incredible game it was.

looking back on VC2 makes me so shocked that SEGA figured it out and managed to put out VC4, which is going to be drat near impossible for them to top in quality, story, and gameplay. shocked, and very happy.

oh yeah as of finishing writing this post I realized what else I wanted to say: the one thing I really hated about gameplay in this one was how Orders were emasculated. they all cost way too much CP to ever be useful. I'm almost willing to bet they did that as a way to curb the gameplay quirks that players developed in VC1, i.e throw every order on Alicia and win every map. whatever - it was truly a dumb decision.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
I like the idea that the reason why Orders are bad and overcosted in VC2 is because Avan is dumb and bad at commanding, which is kinda what Orders are supposed to represent.
Eg: Welkin's, Kurt's and Claude's "Attack Boost" order are all 1 CP, while Avan's is 4.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Shinji117 posted:

I like the idea that the reason why Orders are bad and overcosted in VC2 is because Avan is dumb and bad at commanding, which is kinda what Orders are supposed to represent.
Eg: Welkin's, Kurt's and Claude's "Attack Boost" order are all 1 CP, while Avan's is 4.

this is the best explanation for it I've ever heard and will now subscribe to this belief.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Vc team moved on to sakura wars, their next project won't be for a long while probably.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Lunethex posted:

The classmate missions are all a total slog gameplay wise. It's rather tiresome tbh.

I found this thread by chance but everything I would have said has been in the previous pages, except for the expression that I doubt anyone would have gotten mad if you had slapped in a cheat to get all the stupid mobile game grind out of the way, certificates and the like. I assume you're using PPSSPP to play.

Melissa Dalen was the character I enjoyed most not really because of her arc but because of her battle quotes. her actress always made using her as a sniper quite nice.

unfortunately I don't really have much else to say as a VC fan. all I remember was being really upset and thinking the series was dead with the advent of this one, combining all the horrible elements of Shounen High School into a slice of life anime that didn't give two flips about the tone that needed to be set. that's why it was so surprising to me that VC3 was able to exist and be the incredible game it was.

I honestly don't think there's a single character mission I actually enjoy. The only one I can say anything good about is Marion's because you can easily beat it in one turn at any point in the game. Most are just repeats of the same stuff you have to do to progress the story, and others are basically gimmick maps.

I've mentioned/alluded to it already, but I've already cheated the hell out of this game to beat it. That is, I sent unkillable, infinite action, infinite AP AT Sniper Helmut and Sniper Elite Lotte to beat the entire game for me. I'm just re-watching the events though the yearbook and doing my write-ups from there.

Melissa's got some good voice lines, I won't argue that. A good portion of the voice acting in this game is pretty good, which is a shame given the rest of it sucks so bad.

I'll be frank and say I'm probably never touching a VC game again thanks to this mediocre trash fire- it completely killed it for me. I'd rather forget the series ever existed at this point, which is a shame given the first one was pretty okay.

Edit: Next update is coming out tomorrow. It's already ready, I'm just buying some time to work on other things for the moment, (namely the other LP I'm behind on).

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 4, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Playing the game must be like ten times worse, at least, than just reading it. :ohdear:

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Don't let VC2 spoil this series for you. VC3 and VC4 are much much better in terms of characters and tone and everything. They also don't have the stupid grinding or high school crap.

The worst I can say about VC3 is one of the main characters has a hypocritical reasoning for his/her actions. I think the worst I can say about VC4 is that I hate two of the side antagonists because they're try hard edge lords.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

If you're doing a hate LP you really need material to trash and this is just...kind of aggressively mediocre rather than WTF bad

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Poil posted:

Playing the game must be like ten times worse, at least, than just reading it. :ohdear:

If you can readily ignore the story and really any of the dialogue, the game serves as a nifty pocket version of VC1 for all of 6 hours maybe. At that point the combat's already become tiresome in it caring nothing about balance and only grading you on speed. If you stick with it for maybe another 10, you'll feel the credit grind really starting to hit as the game starts throwing you increasingly more ridiculous odds. If you know the strategies, you can slog on through for another 40+ hours maybe?

It only gets worse with each hour- the mediocrity just builds and builds and builds. It's not too bad if you block most of it out, but it's still basically a chore.

Psycho Knight posted:

Don't let VC2 spoil this series for you. VC3 and VC4 are much much better in terms of characters and tone and everything. They also don't have the stupid grinding or high school crap.

The worst I can say about VC3 is one of the main characters has a hypocritical reasoning for his/her actions. I think the worst I can say about VC4 is that I hate two of the side antagonists because they're try hard edge lords.

It'll take a good year or two before I can forget about this dumb game, and that's probably a optimistic estimate. I've heard good things about 3 and 4, but this game has literally drained any care for associating with the series any longer. It's just that bad in my mind. After I'm done with this thing, I doubt I'm looking back.

I'm sure they're good games, but I despise this one that much. I'm still in disbelief that I ever had a neutral opinion about this game.

Hell, I can't believe I went and found a new PSP for this loving game.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

If you're doing a hate LP you really need material to trash and this is just...kind of aggressively mediocre rather than WTF bad

Yeah, basically. I've basically had to find my own fun with it through the summaries, and even then...

I mean, it's so mediocre it's not even funny. It has its trash worthy moments, but those are spread so far and between endless melodrama, meaningless conversations, and a whiplashy tone.

"Aggressively mediocre" is the perfect term, really.

I'll be done with this thing eventually. Then I'll make five bucks and change my avatar so I can forget this ever happened.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 25 - Mega Muscle Man Medic Moen

Welcome back, today we're covering Raymond's story. He's an engineer who's too swole to control.

Yep, that's it. Kick back, get whatever various materials that are necessary for your standard consumption of an LP update, and... get to reading I guess. Don't worry about taking a seat or securing your socks, this entire thing is pretty predictable.

----

~ Training Grounds - Raymond's First Event ~

Music: Everyday Life of the Class

: Heh, thanks. I've always been pretty handy with a shot put.

*Screen shakes, something hits the dirt far away*

: It is if you're Raymond. Given his build, I'm not terrible surprised.
: Not that he gets much of a chance to flex that muscle as an engineer.
: Ooh, he's done throwing. Hey, Raymond! Hey!

: You're amazing, man! That has to be some kind of world record!
: N-No! No, no, no! It's nothing special.
: You must spend a lot of time training to keep up a physique like that.
: I was just born this way, really...
: I don't do any special training on the side.

: I-I'm not... Thank you.
: So, how's a guy your size get by on the food they serve in the mess hall?
: You really have a flair for frivolous questions, don't you?
: Hey, back off! I'm just curious!
: When it's not enough, I cook for myself. I-I always liked Home Ec...
: Wow, I didn't know you cooked! You'll have to let me taste it sometime.
: Oh, s-sure! It's nothing fancy, but it'd be my pleasure, Avan.

: Y-Yeah... I get that a lot. S-sorry...
: No reason to apologize, man! Anyway, I'll look forward to that, Raymond.
: And great throw again. Here, let me shake hands with a shot put legend!
: Heh, s-sure!

: Ah! S-Sorry! I'm sorry! I've always been bad at controlling myself...
: It's like I'm watching a standup routine.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Hey look, I can throw good!
: *Sends a shot put to the moon*
: Whoa!
: He's jacked, what do you expect?
: Been this way since I was born.
: Whoa!
: Quite the disparity between your personality and build.
: Yep. I cook too.
: Whoa! Let's shake hands!
: Sure.
: gently caress MY HAND IS IN PIECES
: I'm too swole to control.
: Why am I surrounded by idiots?

----

So yeah, Raymond is your typical "gentle giant" stereotype with the inexplicable ripped body but in a profession requiring soft skills. That's... that's about it really.

This whole storyline is pretty predictable, really.

----

~ Faculty Offices - Raymond's Second Event ~

:eng101: : You've been blessed with a gift in that physique, and it's going to waste.

:eng101: : Yes, you've made your preferences clear.

:eng101: : But as much as it pains me to say, you just aren't a very good engineer.

:eng101: : I hear you're not even able to apply a bandage properly, Raymond.

: Um...

:eng101: : As a lancer or armored tech, you would be playing to your strengths.

:eng101: : Now, forget this silly engineer business already. Am I understood?

: I-I... sir, I...
: I have to go, excuse me!

: Uh oh, he left his bag. I should get it to him.

*Things fall*

: Gah, that's heavy! I must have spilled half of what's in here- Wait, are all these...?
: I didn't know this many engineering books even existed! ...Poor guy.

: There you are! Man, for such a big guy, you can be hard to find, Raymond.
: A-Avan? D-Did you need something from me?
: Nope. I was in the faculty office and saw that you'd left your bag.
: O-Oh, I didn't notice...
: Do you always haul all these books around? You must be studying hard.
: I-I always looked up to medics and engineers who help people in the field.
: S-So I was really happy when I got here and was selected as an engineer.

: Y-You heard that, Avan? Then you know what the professor said...
: What, that bit about you not being a good engineer?
: Y-yeah, I'm not good with finesse.
: I have trouble applying bandages, and I break the little medicine vials.
: I'm more likely to hurt someone out there than to help them.
: It would k-kill me if that ever happened. So I should... Ugh.

: Th-thanks for listening to me, Avan. I should g-get going though.
: Man, I wish there was a way I could give that guy some confidence.

Twybil's Summary posted:

:hist101: : Listen, kid, I'm here to tell you to get out of that dead end engineer class.

: But I don't wanna!

:hist101: : The last bandage you applied was a tourniquet, not a bandage.

: I...my planet needs me! *Bails*
: Huh, he left his pile of engineer books behind. I better go give those back.

--

: Here's your books.
: Thanks. Being an engineer is all I wanted. But I just end up hurting people with my swole.
: That's cool, dude. Don't listen to that scrub, stay an engineer if you want.
: Thanks. I'm peacing out for now.
: Kid needs some confidence.

------

Raymond's too giant of a man to do finesse jobs apparently, and they want him to switch classes to something more physical but he doesn't want to hurt people. That's the trope right there.

I mean, it would end up in him actually getting used, but at this point I'm only using a select few units anyhow.

Anyways, onto the mission next. I really just don't have much to say about these anymore.

------

~ Classroom - Raymond's Third Event ~

Music - Briefing

: Still worried about your unit class, Raymond?
: N-no, I... I'm just...
: Cosette tells me you're up 'til all hourse each night practicing with bandages.

I've never heard that phrase before. Part of me thinks it's a typo given the odd sentences in some of these lines.

: If you're that set on it, you shouldn't give it up!
: B-But all I do is cause trouble as an engineer...
: You won't make anyone else happy giving up what makes YOU happy, man.
: And I'm pretty sure there are things that only you can do, Raymond.
: You've just gotta find your own way of helping and run with it.
: Y-you think so?

*Siren bells*

: You're up against a rebel armored division. Expect a difficult fight.
: Get careless out there, and you could easily be wiped out.
: I want you fully prepared before you meet me in the strategy room.

: A-Avan! Please! L-Let me come with you this time!
: That'd be a life-saver. C'mon, let's get ready!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Still rethinking your class?
: I say no, but I mean yes.
: You do you, buddy.
: I don't know...
: You do you, buddy.
: Really?

: Hey, we got a rebel attack. You might die, so be prepared.
: Avan, let me go with you!
: You do you, buddy!

------

Raymond's mission is a generic defense map in the Daws Desert. That's about it. Like all defense maps, they're incredibly annoying.

Anyways, I blast through it and we get Raymond's final event.

------

~ Daws Desert - Raymond's Finale ~

: Rebel reinforcements are en route. Evacuate them ASAP.

Music: Conflict

: Most have already been deployed to tend to the others. They're gone.
: Are you serious?!

: Raymond! You're here man?!
: Rifle fire! That was a Hervor-A. The rebels are closing in.

She picks up a bit of a country drawl as she says that in her voice lines. I suppose one can only maintain the high-pitched noble voice for so long.

: Raymond! You gotta start getting us outta here, man!
: Take Marion to start. Joachim and I will wait for you to get back.
: What? But what if the rebels get here first?!

: Nrraaooooooogh!

What?!
Wuh?!
: Huh?

Just suddenly switches to this, no delay or anything. That's Avan speaking.

: Just fine. I'm good at lifting things.
: I was worried when you took off alone, but now I follow.
: It's like you said.
: There are things only I can do, so I should keep doing things my way.
: This is about all I can do...
: It's enough man. You wanted to be an engineer to help people, right?
: Well, you just pulled three people out of a fire!

: Come on, let's hurry back! Think you can get them back home okay, Ray?
: Count on it!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Okay, we got 'em!
: We've got more coming and a few of your units are trapped elsewhere.
: Dang it!

--

: I have the worst luck, even if I'm here with the lady I'm stalking.
: Ow, I got shot.
: We're probably screwed.
: I'm here to bail you out, guys!
: Oh, I hear a specific gun from this distance- they're closing in!
: Hey, take the girl and get her away from stalker boy first.
: What!? Dude we're gonna get killed!
: Shut up and let me do my job.

: *Powerlifts the three of them*

: Wow, you saved 'em!
: Lifting's all I do, and you said "you do you".
: Good work!

: Thanks!

: Now let's go!

----

And so ends the tale of Raymond the Powerlifter.

Ignore that extra stuff, it's because I'm playing on a completed file.

He gets Fruits of Labor as a new potential, replacing his previous Cowardly, I think. It just raises "various abilities" when triggered, which is fine and all, but he's an engineer so it really doesn't matter.

Anyways, that sure was an update. See you next time on the History Channel where we cover the existence of a indigenous hunting tribe in the tiny country of World War Era Pseudo Poland.

Well, we won't actually be getting any explanations, but it exists, apparently.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seriously does Gallia not have fire fighters or whatever? This dude would fit right in.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gallian fire brigades only accept fourteen-year-old schoolgirls with animal ears

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Avan Hardins posted:

I didn’t know this many engineering books existed!

I’m more shocked he remembered books exist at all...

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

AweStriker posted:

He remembers because those were the things Leon read. Man isn't Leon an amazing dude?!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

SSNeoman posted:

Seriously does Gallia not have fire fighters or whatever? This dude would fit right in.

It doesn't seem to, at least. I've never even seen a fire hydrant or extinguisher in this game (they're probably there somewhere though). He was recruited from the militia in a rural town, so we could imagine in a better game that he probably was one before they brought him here.

Still though, with a engineering team filled with people with thin or short builds and an average age under 18, why would you complain about a guy who can carry a stretcher easily? Heck, they don't even acknowledge that engineers also do repair work on tanks- I'm pretty sure having muscle man here around is pretty nice for that too.

Then again, this is the game that took away the engineers' ability to put down/ clear mines, repair sandbags, and made tanks inefficient to use outside of cheese strats. They just made them into medics and left the name as is.

Hwurmp posted:

Gallian fire brigades only accept fourteen-year-old schoolgirls with animal ears

This is probably the more accurate response though. Add in a bit about being needlessly violent, being physically unfit, or a stalking habit and you've got yourself an instantly approved member of the Gallian Fire Brigade.

AweStriker posted:

A fair response, but at some point he has to get tired of drawing on his desk with crayons. Besides, they show up better on paper anyways.

DelilahFlowers posted:

He remembers because those were the things Leon read. Man isn't Leon an amazing dude?!

Hey, you remember Leon, right? Because he was the best. Leon's my bro and he's the bestest bro in the world and the bestest most awesomest-

We're not done with Leon praise by the way. It comes in jarring bursts every once in a while. It might not show too well with the pacing of an LP, but it feels like they remind you every three hours because they know they gave him basically zero interesting development to begin with. The whole Leon subplot still ends up being drawn out and underwhelming no matter how much they try to hype it.

--

Next update will be out on schedule, like usual. I've got a decent little backlog started- not nearly as large as I'd have wanted, but I'll take it. When I get some time and I'm not behind on my other LP, I'll burn through a bunch of this pretty quickly. Eventually I'll hit a point where I've got all the updates for this done already and I'll be free of this thing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A fair response, but at some point he has to get tired of drawing on his desk with crayons. Besides, they show up better on paper anyways.
He has the whole set of Leon Coloring Books.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

you know, in the art book for VC1 they talked about the original idea of Darcsens, wherein they weren't Darcsens but a whole other race, which were beastlike. Had tails and ears.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Lunethex posted:

you know, in the art book for VC1 they talked about the original idea of Darcsens, wherein they weren't Darcsens but a whole other race, which were beastlike. Had tails and ears.
Love my minority ethnicity allegories being actual seperate species.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Lunethex posted:

DelilahFlowers posted:

Love my minority ethnicity allegories being actual seperate species.

Yeah, that was the original idea. Even with the finished game, Raita Honjou (character artist) suggests that this design are the ancient ancestors of the Darcsens (although this is likely just his wishful thinking. It's doubtful that the Producer/Director/Writers have made this part of the lore).

This is the page in question, from the VC1 Design Works. Apologies for the cellphone picture. This is a large 400 page book, so I can't open it enough to scan it properly.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 8, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Psycho Knight posted:

It's doubtful that the Producer/Director/Writers have made this part of the lore

confirmed: Kai Schulen is a Bastiaboo

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Psycho Knight posted:

Yeah, that was the original idea. Even with the finished game, Raita Honjou (character artist) suggests that this design are the ancient ancestors of the Darcsens (although this is likely just his wishful thinking. It's doubtful that the Producer/Director/Writers have made this part of the lore).

This is the page in question, from the VC1 Design Works. Apologies for the cellphone picture. This is a large 400 page book, so I can't open it enough to scan it properly.

Definitely not intentionally racist, but "descended from a separate species" is an old racist pseudo-science concept. E.G. Homo Erectus --> Black people

Honestly glad how the Darcsens were portrayed in VC1, it what stood out to me about the game. An identifiable group of (human) people being discriminated for millenia old myths that are just bullhokey.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

400 pages? drat, I knew this series had some work behind it, but still. The only artbook I have for a game series is nearly a fourth of that in size.

If there was any game to make that part of the lore, it would've been this mess known as VC2. I think it was good to avoid the beast people idea...

DelilahFlowers posted:

Honestly glad how the Darcsens were portrayed in VC1, it what stood out to me about the game. An identifiable group of (human) people being discriminated for millenia old myths that are just bullhokey.

...because of this. Aside from the unique at the time play style, the game's approach to handling racism is one of the things that made it notable. A lot of games would take the easy way out and do fantasy racism, but when it's shown straight it usually has a bit more weight with it, though it's hard to do right. From what I remember, their treatment of the subject was handled with tact, at least.

I suppose some of it's gravity also comes from the whole pseudo World War setting it's doing.

Anyways, in regards to a previous conversation in the thread, it turns out that this game does address the whole airship/dirigible situation. It won't come up until very late in the game, but they spend like two events talking about it.

Oh, and the next update will be up tomorrow morning, as scheduled. I've got 3 updates in the backlog right now, so we'll see where I get to.

Edit 2: Also, I've got the OP updated for once.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 8, 2020

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

400 pages? drat, I knew this series had some work behind it, but still. The only artbook I have for a game series is nearly a fourth of that in size.

It's the biggest of the art books that I own, which admittedly isn't a large number. Even my Final Fantasy Ultimania Archives are only 330 pages or so each (granted, there are several volumes of them).

It's also the biggest in the VC series so far. VC2's art book comes in at about 300 pages while VC3's (which I desperately want to get my hands on some day) is only 256. VC4 doesn't have a Design Works just yet, but it did include an art book with the Collector's Edition. That one is only about the size of a typical novel, though (the Design Archive/Complete Artworks books are like 13" tall by 11" wide). It's also only 100 pages. I'm not sure if Sega has plans to put out a Design Works for 4, but I would like to have it if/when they do. VC3's is higher on my priority list though. I'm hoping to find a copy in Japan when I go to study, because English copies are like $180 CAD right now on Amazon (the original MSRP was $39.99 USD).

Also, they have awesome covers:

I chose to show the back cover of VC2's because Avan is on the front and I hate Avan, as previously established. Plus: Marion.

Hwurmp posted:

confirmed: Kai Schulen is a Bastiaboo

Kai's hat is definitely based on the original Bastian (Isara) concept, which I think is nice since I don't think they did anything as a shout out to that in 1.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

It's the biggest of the art books that I own, which admittedly isn't a large number. Even my Final Fantasy Ultimania Archives are only 330 pages or so each (granted, there are several volumes of them).

It's also the biggest in the VC series so far. VC2's art book comes in at about 300 pages while VC3's (which I desperately want to get my hands on some day) is only 256. VC4 doesn't have a Design Works just yet, but it did include an art book with the Collector's Edition. That one is only about the size of a typical novel, though (the Design Archive/Complete Artworks books are like 13" tall by 11" wide). It's also only 100 pages. I'm not sure if Sega has plans to put out a Design Works for 4, but I would like to have it if/when they do. VC3's is higher on my priority list though. I'm hoping to find a copy in Japan when I go to study, because English copies are like $180 CAD right now on Amazon (the original MSRP was $39.99 USD).

Also, they have awesome covers:

Sheesh, those are some high prices. VC's a pretty high profile series in a way, and I don't think mine's very mainstream. Hell, I don't think most people even know there was an artbook for it, and it's surprisingly not that valuable. It's only worth 32 USD these days. I guess it is worth noting that they never printed it in English, and it's only 127 pages long. It's like a coffee table book compared to these.

I do have to say, the covers, VC3 especially, are quite good, though they definitely stepped up the anime factor in a few places. These two manage to make the VC2 cover look drastically out of place, I must say.

Also, those are some seriously lanky legs.

Psycho Knight posted:

I chose to show the back cover of VC2's because Avan is on the front and I hate Avan, as previously established. Plus: Marion.

I applaud this course of action for I, too, hate Avan. Also, Marion, it might not be a good idea to hug the railgun. I know ragnite's basically positive uranium, but still, that thing has a personnel damage higher than your max HP can take.

(What the hell is Chloe doing in that pose, exactly?)

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

I do have to say, the covers, VC3 especially, are quite good, though they definitely stepped up the anime factor in a few places. These two manage to make the VC2 cover look drastically out of place, I must say.

(What the hell is Chloe doing in that pose, exactly?)

VC2 stepped up the anime, VC3 actually took a step back down to VC1 levels in my opinion. The most anime thing on VC3's cover is the back, where a bunch of people are holding giant claymores and poo poo. Also there’s a 70 year old lady in the group.

Also, Chloe is painting flowers on the side of the tank. Not sure why she needs that stance specifically, but she is painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

VC2 stepped up the anime, VC3 actually took a step back down to VC1 levels in my opinion. The most anime thing on VC3's cover is the back, where a bunch of people are holding giant claymores and poo poo. Also there’s a 70 year old lady in the group.

Also, Chloe is painting flowers on the side of the tank. Not sure why she needs that stance specifically, but she is painting.

The gigantic sword and the very unusual hairstyles is what I was referring to by anime levels. I suppose that means there's even more gigantic swords then. It's...interesting to hear that they have an old lady on the team, though I suppose VC1 also had the old guy as well.

I figured she was painting flowers, I was baffled as to what the stance is specifically. Should've been more clear on that I guess.

...How are you actually painting with that many brushes in each hand? Is she doing it with the one supposedly in her mouth? It's got me at a loss, but I'll just chalk it down as hijinks.