Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

presumably changes to tag inputs accurately to the timing the local stream is at, which seems to me would make a rhythm game perfectly fine streaming?

not like it's latency between audio and video in this instance. so as long as the software does know what the user saw when they pushed the button it doesn't matter that much if the score feedback is some hundreds of millis behind.

e: stadia still dumb and bad, but not for this reason, and not even for this genre so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
does stadia actually have a mechanism for determining the client output at a given time?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

does stadia actually have a mechanism for determining the client output at a given time?

It's going to be constantly sending latency measurements back. So long as its consistent they should be able to compensate for it well enough. Jitter is a different matter and would cause problems.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
given the prevalence of jitter on cable internet services i imagine it might be a rather large problem

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

This is all they said https://twitter.com/thumpergame/status/1212531033855295494?s=21
I doubt it’s as sophisticated as latency based rollback netcode

I notice a considerable difference in how difficult that game is between my computer->receiver->TV at 60hz and my 144hz directly connected monitor so still seems like a bad demo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

presumably changes to tag inputs accurately to the timing the local stream is at, which seems to me would make a rhythm game perfectly fine streaming?

not like it's latency between audio and video in this instance. so as long as the software does know what the user saw when they pushed the button it doesn't matter that much if the score feedback is some hundreds of millis behind.

e: stadia still dumb and bad, but not for this reason, and not even for this genre so much

have you ever played it? it's not the scoring, hundreds of milliseconds in the feedback from pressing a button would be intolerable

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

I doubt it’s as sophisticated as latency based rollback netcode

you don't need that to make a dumb rhythm game mostly acceptable though, what you need is to make the scores fair (as in based on button presses synced to video/audio output). it will be relatively unnoticeable of you *report* them 200 ms late as long as there is proper firework for "PERFECT!"

Jenny Agutter posted:

have you ever played it? it's not the scoring, hundreds of milliseconds in the feedback from pressing a button would be intolerable

i've not played this particular game no, but rhythm games i have played have been of a kind where i'd be downright inclined to close my eyes to maximize my chances of hitting the precise timings.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in fact, yet another case where if stadia just went after the party rockstar/singstar crowd, allowing the use of android devices, with one-time rentals, it'd make so much more sense than the current "lol it's a console in the cloud"

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

you don't need that to make a dumb rhythm game mostly acceptable though, what you need is to make the scores fair (as in based on button presses synced to video/audio output). it will be relatively unnoticeable of you *report* them 200 ms late as long as there is proper firework for "PERFECT!"

i've not played this particular game no, but rhythm games i have played have been of a kind where i'd be downright inclined to close my eyes to maximize my chances of hitting the precise timings.

I see what you're saying and I agree the scoring could be easily compensated but there is strong audio/visual/haptic feedback in thumper, it’s kind of integral to the whole experience. and it’s a very very fast game

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

qirex posted:

there's some little fiio players that are under 150 dollars without storage that I'd go for over that sony
https://fiio.com/m6
https://fiio.com/m5

drat some of those other models have a powerful aesthetic. Shame about them being 600+ tho

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

how is the product everyone wants google to kill the only one that lives on?

quote:

Google is making its latest augmented reality headset, Google Glass Enterprise Edition 2, available for direct purchase, nearly a year after launching it through select workplace partners for $999 a unit. The price remains the same, but Google says you no longer have to go through a “solution provider” to purchase one. That’s especially helpful for developers who may want to tinker with Google’s heads-up display and haven’t been able to easily do so since the device’s initial, ill-fated “Explorer Edition” launch way back in 2014.

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

Another interpretation is that the "solution provider" thing didn't pan out and they need to sell off their remaining inventory before they cancel it again.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

why is it Google Glass Enterprise Edition 2 and not Google Glass Enterprise Edition for Business?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

why is it Google Glass Enterprise Edition 2 and not Google Glass Enterprise Edition for Business?
Because it's Google and not Microsoft?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

Google Glass Enterprise Edition Ice Cream Sandwich

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
how is that even a thing? who wants this? who is dumb enough to rely on google hardware for work?

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Management posted:

how is that even a thing? who wants this? who is dumb enough to rely on google hardware for work?
You ask this almost as if "who wants this" is a thing that Google takes into consideration when launching products.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mystes posted:

You ask this almost as if "who wants this" is a thing that Google takes into consideration when launching products.

obviously that’s not true but by now they should have killed it already because there’s no way anyone is buying these.

my theory is that Sergei and Larry like theirs and that’s why the whole project is still running

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

who is dumb enough to rely on google for work?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

Google Glass Enterprise Edition Ice Cream Sandwich

thank you

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QI4KmlcQr4

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

it is adorable that onlive had an infinitely better interface way before its time, and that nvidia's thing has been in beta for ages, and that sony has also been working on its own thing publicly as a baseline that stadia would need to beat out as a baseline

:allears:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

qirex posted:

industry

so the antithesis of the old "more popular than toothbrushes" or whatever shtick that one of the old bosses used to proclaim as necessary

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you have got to be kidding me.

that is amazing

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
titanium sounds warmer :colbert:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

its easy for some 2-man company in the middle of nowhere to make blatantly, hilariously false claims about their magic speaker boxes that are actually just filled with gravel which will be sold to a few idiots for 10k a pop, but for sony to do it on a walkman takes huge nuts

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

its easy for some 2-man company in the middle of nowhere to make blatantly, hilariously false claims about their magic speaker boxes that are actually just filled with gravel which will be sold to a few idiots for 10k a pop, but for sony to do it on a walkman takes huge nuts

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

wow can't wait to play lovely gta3 on my phone

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

v scientific op

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

we can do better than that

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol just injecting random noise at frequencies above hearing what a smart feature

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol just injecting random noise at frequencies above hearing what a smart feature

maybe they are using ai to deep fake some extra frequencies

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you can actually extrapolate some higher frequencies from a frequency-limited signal. the nyquist-Shannon theorems are for dealing with exact sample encoding. in audio it doesn’t have to be exact, close is good enough.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

cool I'm sure the dogs around you will appreciate all that fidelity for 20khz+ audio

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
dogs need music too

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
dogs can have a little X-Fi experience, as a treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Plank Walker posted: