Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1221980364316405760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The simulation is beginning to break down

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol if you dont think ward rackley was one of the best one off characters on koth

Another one of the best single use characters ever conceived, Rad Thibodeaux. Every scene with him in that episode is better than gold, it's platinum studded with diamonds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7b6R4QB3WI&t=22s

Voiced by Matthew McConaughey to boot. Absolutely stellar choice.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They never did a Boomhower//Luanne thing on KOTH did they? I’m super solid on the first 8 seasons but haven’t really watched anything past there

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

They never did a Boomhower//Luanne thing on KOTH did they? I’m super solid on the first 8 seasons but haven’t really watched anything past there

The 5th episode ever was actually about this. Hank wants Luanne out of his den and is about to talk to her about it but he can't bring himself to because her boyfriend just dumped her. To help her move on (so he can kick her out when she isn't depressed) he encourages her to find a new boyfriend. In the end that turns out to be Boomhauer, and Hank forbids it. She fucks off to live with Boomhauer and Hank realizes how badly he's loving up, so he chills out and asks her to stay in the den. The episode ends with her accepting the offer and telling Hank she loves him. I think Luanna and Boomhauer decide not to keep dating because of how uncomfortable Boomhauer was when Luanna came to live with him unannounced.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Boomhauer and Luanne never dated she just decided she was gonna live with him and Boomhauer made her sleep on the couch

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

you broke my grill posted:

Boomhauer and Luanne never dated she just decided she was gonna live with him and Boomhauer made her sleep on the couch

Yeah they weren't in a relationship or anything but they went on a dinner date to Lulys after they argued with Hank about whether or not it was okay for them to date, and that was after Hank caught her giving Boomhauer a kiss. Just got done rewatching the episode and there's nothing suggesting that they wouldn't have full-on dated if Hank hadn't freaked out.

Just saying that there was an episode where Luanne and Boomhauer were interested in each other, at least briefly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every so often out of the blue I think of the phrase "YOU HAVE SELECTED REGICIDE" and I think got dammit that whole scene is such a great gag, just distilled golden age Simpsons

Just the perfect synthesis of literacy/cleverness, social commentary, and total situational absurdity

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 29, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

you broke my grill posted:

I remember when this episode was new they played an ad of Luanne kissing Boomhauer on the cheek and Hank bwaaahing at it every commercial break for a week. But yeah, there was no romance involved, Hank just freaks out because it's Boomhauer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Boomhauer kept trying to tell Hank there was nothing going on between them but Hank was so pissed he wouldn't listen.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Boomhauer doesn't even attempt to make a move on Luanne.

He was just thrust in the middle of that situation and was rightfully offended when Hank called him a no good skirt chaser.

I mean, normally maybe Hank is right, but all he did was give her a ride home when the football hero Hank chose for her turned out to be an rear end in a top hat.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

I remember when this episode was new they played an ad of Luanne kissing Boomhauer on the cheek and Hank bwaaahing at it every commercial break for a week. But yeah, there was no romance involved, Hank just freaks out because it's Boomhauer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xEIm8P0qLo

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Every so often out of the blue I think of the phrase "YOU HAVE SELECTED REGICIDE" and I think got dammit that whole scene is such a great gag, just distilled golden age Simpsons

Just the perfect synthesis of literacy/cleverness, social commentary, and total situational absurdity

If you know the name of the king or queen being murdered, please press 1

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ikanreed posted:

This is actually really informative about what's so bad about newsimp.

Miscommunication subplots are the empty shell of comedy writing that makes so many sitcoms so bad. Dramatic irony isn't actually funny.

I don't think there is a single episode of good Simpsons where that's the basis of a conflict that lasts longer than a scene.

Not one.

In fact, it's the basis of a few of the less-than-good moments of oldsimps. Parts of Marge in Chains and all of Homer's Night Out come to mind.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

ikanreed posted:

This is actually really informative about what's so bad about newsimp.

Miscommunication subplots are the empty shell of comedy writing that makes so many sitcoms so bad. Dramatic irony isn't actually funny.

I don't think there is a single episode of good Simpsons where that's the basis of a conflict that lasts longer than a scene.

Not one.

Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Marge In Chains is front-to-back gold (juice loosener, Osaka flu, smoking monkey, don’t panic think of a lie... my name is Mr. Burns!, I’m gonna miss sheriff lobo!, and the word guilty is misspelled!) that it really doesn’t matter what the premise of the plot is. It’s just a vehicle for those perfect 90s Simpson writing moments they had collected.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Frasier is all about ridiculous miscommunications and dramatic irony but they actually made it work with characters generally having a reason to draw ridiculous conclusions. (said reasons usually being that Frasier and Niles are pompous idiots and drama queens)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Frasier is all about ridiculous miscommunications and dramatic irony but they actually made it work with characters generally having a reason to draw ridiculous conclusions. (said reasons usually being that Frasier and Niles are pompous idiots and drama queens)

Alright maybe, but it wasn't good because of that lazy writing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ikanreed posted:

Well yeah, just came to mind as an exception because A: It was explicitly a running theme of the show, 2: they worked hard at actually making it funny, and A: there'd frequently be more or less realistic consequences for it in the end that add to the comedy rather than laughing it off, usually in the form of everything coming crashing down on them.

Then again, those Frasier plots are typically explicit farces, in which sustained misunderstandings and escalating lies are key parts of the plot and humour. I don't think you typically have farces as Simpsons plots, I'm not sure if any come to mind, besides maybe the one where Marge gets a fancy outfit and is pretending to be well-off.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

ikanreed posted:

I would never generalize the writing in Frasier to be "lazy". Frasier has a reputation for being a smart show not just because the main characters are "intellectuals" but because it's incredibly tightly written. It's like a stage play- the way it's set up is smart. The Simpsons was a 'smart' show in this way too- most characters in the show are not intellectual but it's how the jokes are set up and how much humour they were actually able to fit into an ever-decreasing amount of airtime (unsurprisingly, many writers worked on both Frasier and the Simpsons).

The reduced runtime of the show has something to do with the decline in quality as well, because the funniest/most memorable jokes from the earliest seasons aren't the ones that are essential to the plot- they're the Family Guy-style cutaway gags (that are also the funniest thing about Family Guy) and they're also the first thing to be cut from syndication runs.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What was the first time itchy and scratchy was bad? I honestly can't remember.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ikanreed posted:

What was the first time itchy and scratchy was bad? I honestly can't remember.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Out of universe tho

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Marge's scripts ruled

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Toxic Mental posted:

Marge In Chains is front-to-back gold (juice loosener, Osaka flu, smoking monkey, don’t panic think of a lie... my name is Mr. Burns!, I’m gonna miss sheriff lobo!, and the word guilty is misspelled!) that it really doesn’t matter what the premise of the plot is. It’s just a vehicle for those perfect 90s Simpson writing moments they had collected.

You forgot about history's greatest monster.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
Someone a few pages back said Halloween of Horror was good, so I watched it tonight. It was relatively tolerable for a new simpsons, but holy gently caress does Dan Castellaneta sound bored out of his goddamn mind.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

finalellipsis posted:

Someone a few pages back said Halloween of Horror was good, so I watched it tonight. It was relatively tolerable for a new simpsons, but holy gently caress does Dan Castellaneta sound bored out of his goddamn mind.

Why would you believe someone who says a Simpsons episode made in the 21st century was good?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Why would you believe someone who says a Simpsons episode made in the 21st century was good?

Behind the Laughter was good.

Coulda been the series finale. Like ... 20 years ago.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I watched a modern thoh last night. The intro had everyone replaced with movie monsters and I cracked a smile at Mr Largo as the Phantom of the Paradise.

It wasn't offensively terrible, but it was lazy. Just take an existing horror movie like Freaks or the Cat in the Hat and replace with simpsons characters, but without jokes or any of the cleverness that made the likes of King Homer good. :effort:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

PostNouveau posted:

Behind the Laughter was good.

Coulda been the series finale. Like ... 20 years ago.

21st century started 1st Jan 2001 :colbert:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

spaceblancmange posted:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Have they done an episode where they MST2K an old episode yet to latch on to the hot new trend of rifftrax and let's plays

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

spaceblancmange posted:

This is the excuse of every nerd when nobody showed up to their millennium party

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Been doing a re-watch, and there is a huuuuuge quality decline in Season 9. Never noticed until this time.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
This is what I've been saying

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

PostNouveau posted:

Been doing a re-watch, and there is a huuuuuge quality decline in Season 9. Never noticed until this time.
9 to 10 dwarfs it, but then there are people who will say it's noticeable in Season 8

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I'm halfway through 8 right now and I like it more than 7. I guess if you consider its best episode is production 7 maybe its a tie.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah, I'll keep saying it that although there are way less classic, time-tested episodes in 9 and 10, they were still at least able to write good jokes into what they had. Around season 10, you start seeing the majority of jokes in episodes start to fall flat.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Been reading the recaps for the older seasons at work during downtime lately and the number of times I've thought/blurted out "THAT was in Season (single digit)??" kind of surprises me. Like, I was legit surprised the Mary Poppins Sherry Bobbins one was in Season 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Not until this watch through have I put 2 and 2 together and realised the episodes that felt off in seasons 6-8 were almost always Jean/Reiss ones.