Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Whipstickagostop posted:

Doesn't that wreck the bumpers/bars/platforms though? Probably be fine for 3 plates if one set are bumpers, but surely any more than that is going to put way more pressure on the internal sleeve bit?

Only noticed it since a bunch of new people joined after New Year, and never really had to think of it for myself as I can only pull 210kg for singles so have only just filled up the bar with bumpers.

Bumper plates are designed to be dropped from overhead with as much weight as your average gym rat can deadlift they'll be fine (wear and tear will break them eventually regardless).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Deadlifting with iron is fine if you have platforms but deadlifting with hex plates? That just sounds awful.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

VorpalFish posted:

Deadlifting with iron is fine if you have platforms but deadlifting with hex plates? That just sounds awful.

It is. That's why one fat set of bumpers is necessary to let the bar roll a little like God intended.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

VorpalFish posted:

It sucks. The bar is always trying to creep away.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Omnikin posted:

just lol if your gym doesn't have six deadlifting platforms each with their own loading lever/device. $10/mo btw

I'm tempted to go out of pocket to give the YMCA some flat benches for the power racks and a deadlift jack.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Cooked up some pulled pork and steamed some broccoli for meal prep this week it’s tasty as hell with some cheddar in the broc and some quinoa on the side

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
prep zone own zone

did another batch of chicken & broccoli & peppers on Sunday. This time I tried making half cauliflower rice half brown rice as a base & it kept the calories down while still giving off a nice hefty feel to the meal

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Found this yesterday in the DM requests box of my thirst trap Instagram. I guess this means I've made it to the next level of my fitness journey.

I wonder if the offer is still available. :thunk:

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Finding thirsty dudes who want to jerk off on your muscles aint hard my friend, it's just about the easiest thing in the entire world probably

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Our Y finally got jacks last month. They only two platforms though.

Anyways, I've been lifting since March of last year. Do muscles atrophied via nerve damage ever regrow? I feel like I have about 60-70% of the muscle in my right leg as I do my left leg. It's really noticeable in my calves and my rear end if you press on it through all the fat-I have about 1/2 as much rear end on one side (quads are symmetrical.) It doesn't affect a whole lot but I can't do squats with correct form as I twist to compensate for it - which is really annoying because I spent a long time trying to even do a squat until I read one weird trick on Reddit. I've been doing single leg presses, hamstring machine, calf machine, glute machine (donkey kicks), but I cannot do a single leg anything with body weight on my right leg (with rings, I can't do it on my left w/out rings either) and it doesn't seem to be growing any.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Fartbox posted:

Finding thirsty dudes who want to jerk off on your muscles aint hard my friend, it's just about the easiest thing in the entire world probably

Yeah just hit the sauna at your own peril

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Or pleasure.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Do any of you guys work with a coach? What has your experiences been like? Thinking about maybe trying for a comp at some point.

I have a buddy that coaches a few of my friends but it would be a remote thing so I’m also wondering how effective that is as well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
To the girl doing a full leg day on the platform next to me today - 'Tis great to see, but you clearly had one heck of a cold they way you were constantly sniffling so please stay home next time (in the kitchen haha jk no I'm not like other guys). If I catch coronavirus I know who I'm blaming.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I will 100% go to the gym even if i have the sniffs

I will infect everyone on my path to swoleness

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
if you could have a fitness tracking app what features would you want?

things off the top of my head that would be good:
food tracking
weight/bf tracking
workout tracking with set x reps, rir, rpe options
the ability to create a template with exercise options

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Collapsing Farts posted:

I will 100% go to the gym even if i have the sniffs

I will infect everyone on my path to swoleness

Please go gently caress yourself.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

barkbell posted:

food tracking
weight/bf tracking

It would be a spreadsheet I could do whatever I wanted with, and it would pay me to use it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i'm curious about the spreadsheet, do you input your data on the spreadsheet after the workout? i've tried that approach and find it easier to just put in data on my phone for tracking

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have residual sniffles for a solid month after I get sick in the winter.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

barkbell posted:

i'm curious about the spreadsheet, do you input your data on the spreadsheet after the workout? i've tried that approach and find it easier to just put in data on my phone for tracking

I don't track anything but if I did it would be on a basic spreadsheet program, or just pen and paper like I used to when I started. What a waste of time that was. Never looked at them again.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

barkbell posted:

food tracking
weight/bf tracking

Easy meal planning,

Simple programmable AMRAP/HIIT timer

bomb fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 7, 2020

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

bomb posted:

Easy meal planning,

Simple programmable AMRAP/HIIT timer

what would easy meal planning be? like it generates a meal plan or sometihng?

barkbell fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 7, 2020

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

barkbell posted:

what would easy meal planning be? like it generates a meal plan or sometihng?

Yeah basically, I just want a really simple shopping list and a way to plug in how many meals i want to prep that week during my sunday meal prep. Based on daily macros.

RP Diet has a meal generator but it makes you scan in a bunch of poo poo before it does anything. I wish it would just see whats on instacart and ship me exactly what I need for meal prep. I know my daily macros, I'm just lazy and want it to tell me exactly what to make.

bomb fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 7, 2020

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

bomb posted:

Do any of you guys work with a coach? What has your experiences been like? Thinking about maybe trying for a comp at some point.

I have a buddy that coaches a few of my friends but it would be a remote thing so I’m also wondering how effective that is as well.

I trained for two years at a serious PL gym with a coach and a bunch of other older mentor guys. The thing with a coach is, what do you need? Do you need someone to write a training plan for you? Do you need advice on technique and eyes on your form to get it dialed? Do you need motivation and accountability? Do you need something else to make you feel ready for a competition? Different lifters have different needs. There are people who can provide some or all of these things, some of them in a paid capacity as a "coach", some as a mentor, some as a peer.

For example, your remote coaching buddy might be able to write you a training plan, but won't be able to mention that you flared your elbows early on that last bench rep and that's why you missed so keep them in on this next attempt, or slap you on the back and shout "you got this!" when you're getting psyched for your big deadlift set. So if all you need is the training plan he's fine, if you need the slap and the advice, not so fine. If all you need is someone counting on seeing you at the gym every Friday at 5:30 so you don't skip anymore sessions when you're tired after a long week of work, that might not even need to be a coach, it could just be a buddy who you make a deal with to meet every week and who will call each other out if you skip. Really think about what you want and need out of the "coach" relationship then figure out what works for that.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I just watched a dude arch so loving hard, rear end up. on the incline bench he no joke ended up at the same angle as a flat bench rep. I almost lol'd but he's still a strong boy and I wouldn't want any trouble.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
The other day I stepped into the wrack to do some squats, and there was a woman next to it doing lunges on a mat. I asked her if she could move over a few inches so I don't hit her with the bar. She said no. I was kinda dumbfounded; there was plenty of space for her to scooch.

I was about to leave to just do something else, but she insisted I do my sets. I get under the bar, and she stops me and says I'm doing it wrong. She contested that I need to start from the bottom position. To be fair, I'm a beginner, but I've never heard of that, and it just seems wrong. She repeats herself a few times as I stare dumbfounded, occasionally asking "what?" Then she starts berating me "look at your puny little legs, you don't know poo poo. Now look at mine. Powerful."

I just wanted to squat without hitting her. :negative:

oh and this was at the YMCA lol

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
She was negging you. It’s a courtship ritual.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Squatting from the bottom is a legitimate thing to do if you're specifically trying to build strength out of the hole. It's not how squats should be done in general.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

gohuskies posted:

I trained for two years at a serious PL gym with a coach and a bunch of other older mentor guys. The thing with a coach is, what do you need? Do you need someone to write a training plan for you? Do you need advice on technique and eyes on your form to get it dialed? Do you need motivation and accountability? Do you need something else to make you feel ready for a competition? Different lifters have different needs. There are people who can provide some or all of these things, some of them in a paid capacity as a "coach", some as a mentor, some as a peer.

For example, your remote coaching buddy might be able to write you a training plan, but won't be able to mention that you flared your elbows early on that last bench rep and that's why you missed so keep them in on this next attempt, or slap you on the back and shout "you got this!" when you're getting psyched for your big deadlift set. So if all you need is the training plan he's fine, if you need the slap and the advice, not so fine. If all you need is someone counting on seeing you at the gym every Friday at 5:30 so you don't skip anymore sessions when you're tired after a long week of work, that might not even need to be a coach, it could just be a buddy who you make a deal with to meet every week and who will call each other out if you skip. Really think about what you want and need out of the "coach" relationship then figure out what works for that.

Good call I don’t think remote is the way to go for me.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I got sick staying home with the kid while he was sick so I haven't done any lifting or working out in general in a week. It was nice to take time off but I'm looking forward to getting back to it today.

I think swinging the kettlebell as a warm up has been helping with my breathing during bjj but all that goes out the window for a few days after I get sick so who the hell knows.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

bomb posted:

Good call I don’t think remote is the way to go for me.

How is the RP program working out for you?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
To the lady right next to my bench, rowing the 40# curl bar while doing the flash dance:

Can we loving not?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Greg Legg posted:

I am loving it to be honest although I’m not sticking to the diet 100%

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I can’t for the life of me lose weight as fast as I want because I have this habit of snacking on poo poo I shouldn’t. It seems like the basic rule is don’t snack period. Anyone have a way to get rid of cravings?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Greg Legg posted:

I'm using the app and it's making me realize how much I was cheating when I was just using the templates.

I am sticking to the diet 100% and in 3 weeks I've had as much visible progress as the full 12 weeks before. Also I might be starving to death. The app makes it easy!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Piggy Smalls posted:

I can’t for the life of me lose weight as fast as I want because I have this habit of snacking on poo poo I shouldn’t. It seems like the basic rule is don’t snack period. Anyone have a way to get rid of cravings?

What helped me was snacking on veggies I like. Carrots, celery, pickles, and cucumbers were my go-to.

If you need a sweet, do fruits. If you absolutely have to have junk then weigh that poo poo. Portion tracking helps remind you how calorie dense junk food is.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

bomb posted:

I am loving it to be honest although I’m not sticking to the diet 100%

Dum Cumpster posted:

I'm using the app and it's making me realize how much I was cheating when I was just using the templates.

I am sticking to the diet 100% and in 3 weeks I've had as much visible progress as the full 12 weeks before. Also I might be starving to death. The app makes it easy!

Nice! My schedule might free up in a few months so it might be fun to drop some money and run one of their physique templates while on the diet. I just don't have the time. Thank you gentlemen!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

What have people's experience been with belts? I don't know if it's the physical support, some placebo effect from feeling more secure with it, or both, but I just bought a nice belt and I've added more than twenty pounds to my squat after having been sidelined by a bad cold for over a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's mostly placebo. Getting a big effect from a belt is something you have to learn to do, and one session isn't enough.