Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Contrary Snivy still sucks to use in-game, even if you hatch it with all the moves you want, because its only good move has 5 PP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ungulateman posted:

(starter opinions)

it's remarkable how the best generation has the worst starters, and also the highest proportion of bad pokemon (because they made new replacements for all the old bad pokemon)
bulbasaur/charmander/squirtle: all cute and good, venusaur is unfairly maligned as the least popular one for some reason, despite being my friend

chikorita: final evo is the cutest of gen 2, shame about the typing, and the stats, and the movepool
cyndaquil: cute and good, final evo is kinda bland, but it's objectively the best stat-wise
totodile: okay, still mad that gamefreak refuses to rename final evo to Feraligator now that we have a 12-character limit for names.

treecko/torchic/mudkip: all cute and good, but their middle stages are the poster boys for "weird awkward teenager forme"

turtwig: WORLD TURTLE, learns earthquake naturally, fantastic
chimchar: introduced close combat to this world, part of the Fire/Fighting trio but distinguished itself from blaziken due to Phys/Spec split, so it's pretty darn good
piplup: cute, final evo is unfortunately boring

snivy/tepig/oshawatt: I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

chespin: terrible, all around
fennekin: first stage is okay, second is a little dumb, final is just bad. I hate the ear fluff. One day, gamefreak will give me an actually good fox pokemon (failing that, I'd accept buffing ninetales' stats)
froakie: the only acceptable choice

rowlet: cute, and okay
litten: base form is cute, second form is okay, final form looks dumb as heck in the games, but works in smash
popplio: my precious daughter, The World is Hers

grookey: cute, and okay
scorbunny: why does this bunny wear clothes. second stage far superior to third stage by virtue of ears being floppy. planned giga-max rectifies this somewhat.
sobble: it's okay.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

man, my friends as a kid must have been weird because I think like 90% of them picked Bulbasaur for some reason. I felt very nonconformist as a Squirtle/Blastoise loyalist

Bongo Bill posted:

There are adult challengers, they just didn't put them in the cutscene.

It really would make a lot more sense to me if being a Gym Challenger was established as something people do well into adulthood because otherwise I have no idea why the most popular televised sport in the country would be just kids trying (and presumably failing most of the time) to beat adults at something they do for a living

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Seriously though, does the game ever actually explain why Team Yell is so obsessed with Marnie, because she is a child and they are large fat adult men and I fear for her safety

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

I can tell this was made before Gen V.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

loquacius posted:

Seriously though, does the game ever actually explain why Team Yell is so obsessed with Marnie, because she is a child and they are large fat adult men and I fear for her safety

Aren't they mostly people from her hometown?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

loquacius posted:

It does get explained.

Also, if you look around in the gym lobbies there should be a recurring old man challenger

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

quote:

Anyway I'm having a great time with knight duck and jogging fire bunny and the one that's just milk and all the rest, I just think the pro-sports angle would make more sense if you started the game as, like, an angsty 17-year-old JRPG teen who had already made a name for themselves in the minor leagues, but they took away all your minor-league pokemon and made you start fresh with just a single fire/water/grass pokemon as part of your major league initiation, please contact me Game Freak resume enclosed

Mainline game player characters are supposed to be blank slates for kids to project onto. I suspect the main reason Game Freak hates Pokémon Colosseum is because the main character doesn't fit that mold at all.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kids project themselves onto blank-slate mute JRPG protagonists just fine :colbert: I know they've been trying to make Pokemon more and more explicitly a kids' game every gen these days though and my idea doesn't gel with that philosophy, just idly musing

I'd play the poo poo out of Angst Pokemon though

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
finally typed mine up

Bulbasaur: my dear child and first pokemon ever all the way back in the 90s. All-time favorite
Charmander: very good but I'm kinda burnt out on charmander
Squirtle: good friend! very like

Chikorita: underrated good friend who doesn't deserve the hate
Cyndaquil: very nice! needs more fire in 3D tho
Totodile: Feraligatr is not cute but good strong friend

Treecko: was never a huge fan but I do like Sceptile
Torchic: very good friend! always my choice in RSE
Mudkip: memes made it overrated but he's aight. Swampert could be more exciting but at least he's not samurott

Turtwig: never paid him much mind. Torterra is cool
Chimchar: I admittedly don't care much for all the monkey pokemon much but Infernape is super strong
Piplup: coolest gen 4 starter; empoleon is bomb and steel is a cool type

Snivy: Serperior looks cool but god I just do not care about gen 5 starters
Tepig: cute but not a fan of the evos at all
Oshawott: very cute but samurott looks so bad ugh

Chespin: eh. neutral overall to it.
Fennekin: very good! I like Braixen but Delphox is kinda.... well, I like Fire/Psychic a lot.
Froakie: very good! luv frogs

Rowlet: very good! I like Decidueye a lot and grass/ghost is a cool type and owls are v cool
Litten: pretty good. I like Incineroar in concept but not as great as the other two
Popplio: very very good friend. I love Primarina and fairy types are a quick and easy win in my heart

Grookey: honestly I found grookey to be so boring-looking. Rillaboom is pretty great though
Scorbunny: a new favorite of mine!... but only in Scorbunny form. Cinderace is okay. GMax Cinderace makes it better and gives him the long ears he deserves
Sobble: I like. did not really expect a sad lil thing to become a secret agent badass. just had to get over his emo phase

overall i like starters

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Fennekin dares to ask if you can make a first form cute enough that people are willing to overlook everything else, and heck, it turns out the answer is yes!

Braixen is a perfectly fine design in a vacuum, it's just that it going bipedal gave people flashbacks to years of fire/fighting.

Delphox somehow suffers a lot from the transition to 3d despite not having existed prior to it. It looks much better in its Sugimori art.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
when i think about the gen 4 starters i remember the quote "chimchar is the 36/24/36 of starter pokemon" from...someone? and i snort a little air out of my nose

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

Fennekin dares to ask if you can make a first form cute enough that people are willing to overlook everything else, and heck, it turns out the answer is yes!

Braixen is a perfectly fine design in a vacuum, it's just that it going bipedal gave people flashbacks to years of fire/fighting.

Delphox somehow suffers a lot from the transition to 3d despite not having existed prior to it. It looks much better in its Sugimori art.

Delphox is a tragedy because it really could've done so many neat things with the wizard/witch angle and it's sprite makes it look like a tent.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I definitely feel like a lot of humanoid pokemon would be less disliked by people if they weren't almost always animated as just sorta standing in place

greninja straight up has anthropomorphic proportions too but is all ninja-y so it's rad

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Delphox's 3D model is a travesty.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
3d models, are a travesty

(that said, there are a lot of bad sprites too. i don't even particularly like the gen 5 animated sprites apart from the unovan ones which were designed with it in mind)

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Bleck posted:

I definitely feel like a lot of humanoid pokemon would be less disliked by people if they weren't almost always animated as just sorta standing in place

Golduck used to be one of my favorite pokemon but its animation killed it for me. :negative:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oh but gee guys they remade ALL the models for sword and shield so they're extra special good now.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

loquacius posted:

It really would make a lot more sense to me if being a Gym Challenger was established as something people do well into adulthood because otherwise I have no idea why the most popular televised sport in the country would be just kids trying (and presumably failing most of the time) to beat adults at something they do for a living

You only need to beat the gym challenge once to qualify for the championship cup. That's what you're watching in the intro, Leon beating an adult challenger who is never going to do the gym challenge alongside you because he already did it as a kid.

You only see kids doing it, because every character in pokémon is either a child prodigy or someone who's not gonna battle for a living. If you haven't trounced the famous, nigh-unbeatable 8th gym leader by age 13, you're never gonna cut it in the league world.

It makes as much sense as a story, in which a 10-year old can get their first pet and become the national cockfight champion within a week, ever will.

As for why several characters in the early game reference that Galar has a gym leader of every type, and the ones you're not fighting are in the minor league for scrubs, but you never meet any and they never come up again, well... some joke about Swish' development issues.

loquacius posted:

Yes.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

loquacius posted:

They have good reason for being so obsessively supportive of her. It’s more depressing than creepy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

loquacius posted:

Kids project themselves onto blank-slate mute JRPG protagonists just fine :colbert: I know they've been trying to make Pokemon more and more explicitly a kids' game every gen these days though and my idea doesn't gel with that philosophy, just idly musing

Pokemon has been explicitely a kids' game ever since 1996. If you genuinely think it's gotten worse, I'm sorry to tell you, you've gotten old.

But if you want Angst Pokemon, that's easy to find! There's this fangame that fits perfectly what you want, and man, you'll love it. It's called...Reborn, I believe?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Pokemon has been explicitely a kids' game ever since 1996. If you genuinely think it's gotten worse, I'm sorry to tell you, you've gotten old.

But if you want Angst Pokemon, that's easy to find! There's this fangame that fits perfectly what you want, and man, you'll love it. It's called...Reborn, I believe?

Worse no, easier yes

And lol

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Difficulty is less an age thing and more just the modern games industry. Sword and Shield is easier than Red and Blue, yes, but so is Assassin's Creed.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I feel like for years people clamored for another game that rendered Pokémon in glorious 3D akin to Pokémon Stadium, and now everyone’s dogging the 3D models. Clampearl before Swinub.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheHan posted:

I feel like for years people clamored for another game that rendered Pokémon in glorious 3D akin to Pokémon Stadium, and now everyone’s dogging the 3D models. Clampearl before Swinub.

The main difference there is that Stadium models had a lot of animations and were full of personality, while XY and onwards models have barely any animations and their basic poses tend to be incredibly boring, as if someone decided to make them as generic and unimpressive as possible.

The current models are of much higher quality than the Stadium-series models, but their animations are far worse in both number and quality.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

loquacius posted:

I'll only play Angst Pokemon if it's Piers style :mood:

If they ever give Pokemon to Christopher Nolan please just loving shoot me

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Blaze Dragon posted:

The main difference there is that Stadium models had a lot of animations and were full of personality, while XY and onwards models have barely any animations and their basic poses tend to be incredibly boring, as if someone decided to make them as generic and unimpressive as possible.

The current models are of much higher quality than the Stadium-series models, but their animations are far worse in both number and quality.

I'm imagining a fighting type having a stance like Zinnia's now and am sad we've been deprived of this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Difficulty is less an age thing and more just the modern games industry. Sword and Shield is easier than Red and Blue, yes, but so is Assassin's Creed.

I mean, stuff like not needing HM slaves or being able to access the Box from outside a Pokemon Center is QoL stuff but, just as an example, I wish it were actually possible to turn off Exp Share in Sword/Shield because I haven't used my starter in hours of playtime

I played AC1 and I played AC Odyssey, and Odyssey didn't feel "easier" to me, just deeper and more polished, and the streets weren't full of crazy people who would shove me out of nowhere and aggro every guard in a mile radius in the process. (e: and the combat system is more involved than "wait for guards to attack you and counter them")

Blaze Dragon posted:

Making Sword/Shield models is a much huger task than making Stadium models was, even without the National Dex, because you have to build an entire game world with the same staff. Stadium only really had a few "sets" and only 150 Pokemon (was Mew in Stadium? I never tried.) Add in all however-many Pokemon there are now in the National Dex and it's a Sisyphean ordeal.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 5, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there's still plenty of personality around I feel, especially in signature moves like Snipe Shot, Meteor Assault, etc. where they're free to really focus on the one pokemon who does it. some moves especially really common ones are represented more abstractly and that's OK to me.

basically if wooloo's attack animation doesn't make you smile you're dead to me

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I didn’t play the other 3D games but SW/SH models seem pretty lively. Mr.Rime/Mime and Scorbunny immediately jump to mind, and while they aren’t actively moving Toxtricity have great vibes. Tyranitar does just stand there, but he was never interesting even in 2d.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zoran posted:

Contrary Snivy still sucks to use in-game, even if you hatch it with all the moves you want, because its only good move has 5 PP.

Finally, a good use of the 50 PP ups I have and never use because you wind up OHKOing everything by level 60 so why do you ever need more than 5PP to begin with

I know 5PP moves can only have 8 at max shhh

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1225056767153000448?s=20

Okay then.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Huh. Well, it looks crazy in a good way.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

TheHan posted:

I didn’t play the other 3D games but SW/SH models seem pretty lively. Mr.Rime/Mime and Scorbunny immediately jump to mind, and while they aren’t actively moving Toxtricity have great vibes. Tyranitar does just stand there, but he was never interesting even in 2d.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is this support or dissent?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tyranitar is cool 24/7 except for mega tyranitar which looks goofy bad

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

larvitar is also cool

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Doofy looking motherfucker.

Can't even bend its torso.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

shut up ... !!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

oddium posted:

shut up ... !!

You know it's a quality mon when his back bursts open like an overcooked potato when he mega evolves.