Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Used to be that SFX psus were noisier and had few modular options but I feel like Corsair basically killed off SFX-L with their SF series being so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is the Dan A4-SFX in stock anywhere? How much is it?

When did the Ghost S1 stop production?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica posted:

What are some good mATX cases that are small but also good for a high power CPU/GPU system? I know those are contradictory params. SFX PSU OK!

I have the NZXT H200i (which is the ITX case). They have a MATX H series case and I think it would fit your parameters

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

There's also a mATX version of the Meshify C. I guess the real question is "how small do you want it"?

E: It's too bad the Carbide Air 240 hasn't been available at msrp for a few months, that'd probably be perfect. The Crystal 280x still has decent cooling, though.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Is the Dan A4-SFX in stock anywhere? How much is it?

When did the Ghost S1 stop production?

Soon I believe - the SFF network thread has some information

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
isn't matx dead? like no mobo manufacturers want to make boards. Cerberus X is small for an ATX case too

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Yeah, matx is dead.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

There's an X570 mATX board, so I think that makes them less dead than they were two years ago?

E: The real question is why ATX is so popular when there's nothing to use all those extra slots and all that space for anymore.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Form factors should just die. Need custom case/mobo/PSU solutions from the same company based on use case requirements. Think how sleek a SFF would be if it didn't have to adhere to mobo and PSU standards. Yes I know shuttle does this. We're basically making game consoles with just higher power components.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I don't think mATX is dead. Lots of consumer grade Dell desktops are using mATX boards; I don't think enthusiasts care for mATX boards but mATX cases are nice for mITX builds. I use an old mATX inspiron for my mITX build, plenty of room for an ATX supply, weird FPGA card, etc., etc., and it came with both mATX and mITX holes.

Shaocaholica posted:

Form factors should just die. Need custom case/mobo/PSU solutions from the same company based on use case requirements. Think how sleek a SFF would be if it didn't have to adhere to mobo and PSU standards. Yes I know shuttle does this. We're basically making game consoles with just higher power components.

VIA did super well creating the mITX for kiosks and stuff. Intel has been doing a lot of form factor work with the NUC.

Consider when Arduino was the first well-publicized microcontroller board with awesome fit and finish. There was a time when everything revolved around that form factor, so many boards, daughtercards all followed the exact blueprint. I think the next step will be either selecting an industry standard (like PCIE cards, or in the future M.2 cards) and just rolling with those as your "mother" board for your processor, but it won't mean going away with standards entirely. Chips are having most of their north/southbridge work integrated back on the chip, so there's even less need for real estate on a motherboard.

sports fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 13, 2020

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

I believe you are describing laptops

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm sure such services exist, just not at the consumer level.

Like, poo poo. NUCs exist. But you'll be paying out the nose for your bespoke hardware configuration in order to save exactly how much space? And how much heat?

Which isn't to say it wouldn't be worth it at scale--a good enough configuration and the right hardware engineer to make it work could get you a nice kickstarter project. But for a single use application, this falls into the "more money than sense" territory.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I should probably just take out everything but the Corsair PSU’s out of the OP at this point...

Any other suggestions?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

porksmash posted:

I believe you are describing laptops

Warmachine posted:

I'm sure such services exist, just not at the consumer level.

Like, poo poo. NUCs exist. But you'll be paying out the nose for your bespoke hardware configuration in order to save exactly how much space? And how much heat?

Which isn't to say it wouldn't be worth it at scale--a good enough configuration and the right hardware engineer to make it work could get you a nice kickstarter project. But for a single use application, this falls into the "more money than sense" territory.

Actually I just want a NUC I guess but with the ability to take a full size GPU with a custom PSU/case that doesn't require a bunch of necessary cable routing.

I'm starting to realize that full size GPU form factor including the location of the power connectors is really a hindrance to SFF and really high power GPUs in general.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Stickman posted:

There's an X570 mATX board, so I think that makes them less dead than they were two years ago?

E: The real question is why ATX is so popular when there's nothing to use all those extra slots and all that space for anymore.

Because it’s been a standard for so many things that the parts and fitment are both well known , and the ability to assume some space and lack of precision is helpful to manufacturers.

Having completed my mini ITX build where it’s the opposite , it feels like going back to the 286/386 days except there are too many options to know for sure if yours will work or not without trying .

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hmm, all these ultra sub 10L cases all look the same. Mobo, PSU and relocated GPU are all in the same places. It's almost like some sort of standard.

e: this is why I want a bespoke case/mobo/PSU. The cable management in these things is atrocious. I think it would def be better without SATA at all and also custom length non sleeved cables but still. Urgh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cym0OLx26co

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 13, 2020

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It is much better without SATA imo if a single M2 is good enough for you

Cable management becomes less the problem when they wedge into the free space fine on their own , but , more of a problem then for airflow. Intel’s new integrated boards and custom designs fix these for smaller installs but don’t help you using off the shelf parts

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If I ever end up doing one of these I’m definitely getting custom cables to exact length and cutting pass through holes in the case if I have to.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I've been considering doing a custom build that kind of imitates BTX by using a riser cable to move the GPU to the other end of the board. That, plus an almost-standard PSU placement on the other end would meant everything gets its fresh air from the same central "wind tunnel".

I've already installed modeling software. Even opened it once and immediately closed it! :v:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just draw it on a napkin.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Just draw it on a napkin.

Then put a lovely cell phone photo of the napkin on Kickstarter, and make the top tier reward include getting the napkin!

Shaocaholica posted:

Hmm, all these ultra sub 10L cases all look the same. Mobo, PSU and relocated GPU are all in the same places. It's almost like some sort of standard.

e: this is why I want a bespoke case/mobo/PSU. The cable management in these things is atrocious. I think it would def be better without SATA at all and also custom length non sleeved cables but still. Urgh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cym0OLx26co

I was almost down the pipe of backing that one, but I just had too many issues with the layout as-is. The optimum tech video showed some stress on the riser cable after inserting and removing the core and :yikes:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

https://techreport.com/news/3467819/razer-tomahawk-gaming-nuc/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

They couldn’t even make a custom power supply so it’s just a rerouted AC cable lame.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

850W power brick / foot warmer when?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Raijintek has made a Core V1 clone that fixes a lot of small issues
-slighly larger to accomodate 92mm rear fans
-relocation of drives to the PSU side
-included magnetic fan filters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLN86doxXgo
BUUUUUUT the catch is that it's stuck in a vertical orientation such that the GPU looks like it doesn't get the great ventilation it does on the V1

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
My first SFF build is complete! Kind of. My new GPU arrived today and it was an incredibly tight fit in my QB One case to the point where the port covers were stopping it fitting, but I got it in. However, I didn't realise the HDMI port on my monitor was in fact a DP port, and I have no DP cables so I can't fire it all up until tomorrow. Fitting the new GPU gave me a chance to tidy up the cables from when I initially built it at the weekend as I hadn't really given it much thought as I went and it ended up a mess. Overall it's been a massively frustrating experience due to a screwed sata cable but I've loved it and am now trying to talk my wife into trying a small case so I can build another one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just picked up a cheap Shuttle. FYI there's a recycler on ebay selling 4770 Z87 shuttles with 16GB for ~$250 but I bet I could low ball him down to $200.

Anyway I love me some Shuttle XPC but FFS why do they put so much front IO and THEN put all the connectors on the opposite side of the board so the internal cables take up the maximum about of space. I just yank them all out and look at how much junk I removed with a smile. If they put the connector at the front they could have just used a shorty ribbon or something.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Finally a DAN clone with mesh side panels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou4iWsBNSmY

Also one that's more of an S4 Mini-alike but in a DAN form factor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcR9pkSlOcc

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 5, 2020

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The Dan has speed holes in the sides ?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The big ol' speed holes make it like a Sentry S4 Mini but the GPU being on the back of the mobo is the form factor of a DAN

EDIT: I was getting the Sentry confused with the S4 Mini

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 5, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Every time I see a pc case with mesh top panels I feel as if I’m going to spill Mountain Dew all over in it.

LAN Parties have ruined me :smith:

What’s the easiest, affordable and quiet “small” case these days? The NZXT looks like the most practical?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The Thermaltake Core V1 is $40-50, smaller volume than the H210, and I'd probably prefer it for portability. You have to be a bit careful with gpu width and height (it's strictly 2-slot). It puts the gpu against a mesh side panel so it's nice and cool, but you'd want a quieter card or undervolt if you don't want it to be noisy when running full-bore.

If budget is less of a concern, the Lian Li TU150 is very easy to work with. It's still smaller than H210, but has a lot more space than true sff cases like the Dan A4 or NCase M1.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Tab8715 posted:

Every time I see a pc case with mesh top panels I feel as if I’m going to spill Mountain Dew all over in it.

LAN Parties have ruined me :smith:

What’s the easiest, affordable and quiet “small” case these days? The NZXT looks like the most practical?

Vented top panels aren't for me either. It's just an extra risk
That said, some of the smallest designs wouldn't really have airflow without it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 5, 2020

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I put my tiny PC on my big desk, which means there’s al let no way to spill on it and it gets it away from sucking in that floor dust.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The Louqe Ghosts are back up on Amazon for order if anyone is interested. Restock date is Feb 15.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSKXG4F

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If I’m annoyed by high CPU or GPU fans am I going to hate myself with a SFF? Am I forced to use water cooling for both the GPU and CPU?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Tab8715 posted:

If I’m annoyed by high CPU or GPU fans am I going to hate myself with a SFF? Am I forced to use water cooling for both the GPU and CPU?

It depends on what kind of components you want to put in your system, what kind of performance you want out of them, and what specific case. What were you looking at?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

so got the new Lian Li TU 150, which is like a bigger Ncase m1 clone that is actually in stock and can be got off of new egg etc. its slightly larger than 20L so not really sff, but since i really like the aesthetics of large heat sinks i couldn't really use those sff cases with sandwich layouts.

Ample room to route cables (space both ontop and behind the motherboard), tempered glass and nice vent holes, really nice finish on the brushed metals. Gonna replace the bottom fans eventually with noctua ones and get a bigger cpu cooler. I was coming from a evga hadron case that i really loved, and am pleasantly surprised i like this case so much.

Previous case for reference:

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 7, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Actuarial Fables posted:

It depends on what kind of components you want to put in your system, what kind of performance you want out of them, and what specific case. What were you looking at?
Yeah this. Some cases are more "small form" than others, sometimes you can fit a small tower cooler that will stay relatively quiet (unless you're trying to run overclocked Ryzen 3950X or i9 9900Ketc. CPUs), in others you can still achieve quiet operation with some 50mm top-down cooler as long as you limit the CPU to some low-TDP model or set strict limits in the BIOS. The same is true for GPUs, a few SFF cases take 2.5 slot models that run fairly quiet, others are limited to smaller cards and a RTX 2080 Ti in two slots is just going to be somewhat noisy, but a RTX 2060 or below might not be.

And watercooling isn't necessarily going to help because if you don't have room for proper air cooling you often don't have room for large radiators and large fans either, so pump noise + small fans spinning fast are still a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

orcane posted:

Yeah this. Some cases are more "small form" than others, sometimes you can fit a small tower cooler that will stay relatively quiet (unless you're trying to run overclocked Ryzen 3950X or i9 9900Ketc. CPUs), in others you can still achieve quiet operation with some 50mm top-down cooler as long as you limit the CPU to some low-TDP model or set strict limits in the BIOS. The same is true for GPUs, a few SFF cases take 2.5 slot models that run fairly quiet, others are limited to smaller cards and a RTX 2080 Ti in two slots is just going to be somewhat noisy, but a RTX 2060 or below might not be.

And watercooling isn't necessarily going to help because if you don't have room for proper air cooling you often don't have room for large radiators and large fans either, so pump noise + small fans spinning fast are still a thing.

As an example I have just built a new system of an Ryzen 1600AF and a 5600XT in a Sharkoon QB One. I'm running the processor at 3900mhz using the stock cooler at 1.3v, and the 5600XT with the uprated BIOS with GPU settings maxed out and it's essentially silent, even under load.