Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
my main problem with concur is hotels. I have a strict perdiem limit based on locality, and the hotels I want often exceed the $limit, sometimes by only $1. meanwhile if I book with Marriott direct, I get the per diem rate just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

2hr 45 min wait on the exec plat line, must mean systemwides are expiring

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Yeah, the United change sucks for everyman but it's great for consultants. I was always right on the line for mileage with >2x the required $

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Sent to LA this week. Staying just near LAX, client is maybe 30 mins north (6miles) directly east of venice beach. Any breweries, HH, good restaurants in the area?

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Sugarfish is the best sushi place and they are all over LA. Do it and thank me later.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kazunori is the new Sugarfish, my guy. But yeah there’s a Sugarfish in Marina Del Rey. It’s not the best sushi but it’s very good for price and for a chain.

In that area there is a ton. Make your client expense a trip to Old Lightning. Be prepared to spend 200+ per person as it’s a spirits and vintage champagne place. Also invite me.

But seriously:

Scopa Italian Roots
Felix
gjelina
Sunday gravy (if you’re on a budget)
Roscoe’s house of chicken and waffles
Little Fatty

Just off the top of my head and not an offensive drive from you.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
The Rose Venice
Wurstkuche for liter beers
Firestone Walker brewery has a place

la.eater.com is not short of ideas and includes a few of those just mentioned.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Man when the gently caress is AA going to get Joker on streaming

thank you all for the recs!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KillHour posted:

Going on vacation to Spain in September. Part of that vacation is driving from Barcelona to Valencia and back, and I want to do it in an exotic car. I'd like to get quotes from a few different places and a few different cars. Anyone have recommendations for rental services to look into and cross shop?

That sounds like a plan that will end in tears. Or excessive charges to your credit card at the very least.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Take it from someone who just drove an NSX 1200 miles in two days: exotics suck for long road trips, and you will pay out of the rear end because the last thing they want is a ton of miles on the car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dude barcelona to valencia is like maybe a four hour drive, max

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
If you are willing to step down from exotic to something like a 911 or Jag F-Type then Sixt does rentals in Spain that have a mileage requirement but should get you there and back. When I looked for driving Madrid to Lisbon real exotic cars were insanely expensive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I should probably state that my budget is around $2500-3000 US for 2 days. Maybe a little more if it's an absolutely amazing car.

I realize a super crazy track car is a dumb idea, but there are good exotic GT cars - Audi R8, Ferrari California/Portofino, Bentley, Aston Martin...

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 4, 2020

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Have y'all been affected by the coronavirus in your travel plans?

Personally, I'm debating cancelling our Tokyo vacation next month out of an abundance of caution since I have yet to book the outbound flight and the hotel's cancellable. I can append my Marriott 7-night hotel certificate instead to a planned conference in Amsterdam this summer, perhaps.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Nope, not yet. Been stuck domestic and Canada this year so far.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Mandalay posted:

Have y'all been affected by the coronavirus in your travel plans?

Personally, I'm debating cancelling our Tokyo vacation next month out of an abundance of caution since I have yet to book the outbound flight and the hotel's cancellable. I can append my Marriott 7-night hotel certificate instead to a planned conference in Amsterdam this summer, perhaps.

There's no wrong answer between Tokyo and Amsterdam but I don't think I'd be scared away from going to Tokyo next month because of Coronavirus.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I’m going to Tokyo for 4 days tomorrow, if I die or get quarantined I’ll update the thread.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm in LA all week and will be dodging Wuhan

Wuhan ain't nothin to gently caress with

anyway AA finally got joker and I am very excited to watch it while I write requirements

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Hello Newark my old friend...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KillHour posted:

I should probably state that my budget is around $2500-3000 US for 2 days. Maybe a little more if it's an absolutely amazing car.

I realize a super crazy track car is a dumb idea, but there are good exotic GT cars - Audi R8, Ferrari California/Portofino, Bentley, Aston Martin...

Of that list the R8 is spectacular (and will sound by far the best) but it’s not a GT. From the sounds of it you’d be best off in a Bentley or something if you’re cruising and looking at tourist poo poo.

Despite saying I wasn’t going to travel much this year I now have a trip every week this month, and the first week of March. And I’m still recovering from a bug I picked up on the way back from Florida. Flying with congestion tomorrow is probably going to suck.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 5, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm honestly leaning towards the R8 because they're relatively cheap to rent (like 500 euro a day) and they might be a good compromise between fun and livable. It's only a 4 hour drive, and we're going to be stopping a lot to see poo poo on the way.

If I could afford to, I'd put up with any negatives that come with spending a long time in a Huracan Evo because I'm incredibly curious about them and would strongly consider one when it comes time to replace the Aston.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
In that case definitely rent the R8. The sound is almost as good as the Huracan Evo and it won’t feel quite as much like a computer holding everything together under braking. The Lamborghini moves around a lot under hard acceleration and hard braking, but within software defined limits. Some people find it cool, others think it’s weird and artificial, I haven’t spent enough time in one to make my mind up. The R8 is a little bit more sensible but only a little and it’s still more hardcore (and feels more special) than an equivalent-priced 911.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finally travelling for work again after a two year hiatus. Sure to love being back to square on everywhere.

So far i've got a smattering of DC trips, New Mexico, Mexico City, Brazil (tbd), and Belarus so that should pump up my numbers while I sit in the back of the bus.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

drgitlin posted:

In that case definitely rent the R8. The sound is almost as good as the Huracan Evo and it won’t feel quite as much like a computer holding everything together under braking. The Lamborghini moves around a lot under hard acceleration and hard braking, but within software defined limits. Some people find it cool, others think it’s weird and artificial, I haven’t spent enough time in one to make my mind up. The R8 is a little bit more sensible but only a little and it’s still more hardcore (and feels more special) than an equivalent-priced 911.

Thanks. I don't suppose you have any idea on which rental companies are good and which are garbage, do you? I'm sure you just get all your cars straight from the manufacturer.

What do you think of the Ferrari 488, other than it being way more expensive to rent?

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
I've got Business and first class reward flights all over Asia for June for my honeymoon. Nothing in mainland China at least, but transitioning through Hong Kong. So I'm really hoping things are better before I have to make a decision and probably lose those flights. Get it together China!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

KillHour posted:

Thanks. I don't suppose you have any idea on which rental companies are good and which are garbage, do you? I'm sure you just get all your cars straight from the manufacturer.

What do you think of the Ferrari 488, other than it being way more expensive to rent?

I don’t I’m afraid, they all come from the OEM. Last time I rented a car in Europe it was through Hertz and it was an Italian car that was stuck in Belgium and we got it closer to its home but it was an Alfa Giulietta with really uncomfortable seats.

The 488 managed to feel exciting even at legal(ish) speeds on the highway, again because it moves around a lot. But noise-wise it can’t compete with the V10s in the Lambo or Audi.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Good call on Sixt, Arzakon. Dedicated exotic rental places all want to give a 150km/day allowance and want to charge 5-8€/km over that, which is loving insane. Sixt has like a million R8s in Barcelona (no spiders, unfortunately) and I can get them for 4 days with an 800km allowance for like $1500 US all-in. Deal of the century.

I assume I don't have to worry about being given a gen 1 model - they wouldn't be renting MY2014 cars still, would they?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

Good call on Sixt, Arzakon. Dedicated exotic rental places all want to give a 150km/day allowance and want to charge 5-8€/km over that, which is loving insane. Sixt has like a million R8s in Barcelona (no spiders, unfortunately) and I can get them for 4 days with an 800km allowance for like $1500 US all-in. Deal of the century.

I assume I don't have to worry about being given a gen 1 model - they wouldn't be renting MY2014 cars still, would they?

I used sixt in South Africa and it was great. Didn't know they rented R8s. Are they all over Europe? 4 day rental for $1500 is awesome.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I used sixt in South Africa and it was great. Didn't know they rented R8s. Are they all over Europe? 4 day rental for $1500 is awesome.

Yes, they are and yes it is! I'm thinking of just doing 5+ days because it's so cheap and I'd like the mileage buffer. I could afford to do a whole week on my budget if I wanted to, which is way better than having a lambo that's basically the same chassis for 2 days and not be able to take it anywhere.

Best price I could find on the lambo was like 2k Euro/day with a 300km mileage budget. I'm not sure if that budget is per day or per rental or how much extra more mileage would cost though.

Edit: also, Fast Lane car rental had the absolute balls to send me this:

quote:

Lamborghini Huracán EVO Spider

Daily rate - €1821

Rate is All inclusive: delivery & collection, insurance, taxes

Guaranteed car model

Mileage allowance - 200 km per day (extra - €5 per km)

Refundable security deposit - €4000  (Blocked on your credit card 48-72 hours before the rental commence and released once the car is returned)

Aston Martin DB9

Daily rate - €1886

Guaranteed car model

Mileage allowance - 200 km per day (extra - €5 per km)

Refundable security deposit - €5000  (Blocked on your credit card 48-72 hours before the rental commence and released once the car is returned)

Ford Mustang GT Cabriolet

Daily rate - €689

Guaranteed car model

Mileage allowance - 200 km per day (extra - €3 per km)

Refundable security deposit - €3000  (Blocked on your credit card 48-72 hours before the rental commence and released once the car is returned)

How the gently caress is a DB9 more expensive than a Huracan Evo? Tell you what, I'll give you my 2016 DB9 GT for your Evo, even trade. I'll even pay to ship them both!

Also loving lol at a €700/day Mustang.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 5, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Double posting just because that post is too drat long already. You get a CRAZY break for renting with Sixt for a whole week holy poo poo:

That comes with 1400km, too. You'd be loving crazy not to do that.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 5, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
residuals on the aston are probably crap is my only guess

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

residuals on the aston are probably crap is my only guess

Even still, it's not like its a DB11. At its newest, it could be a 2015 MY. The Evo has to be newer than that by a good stretch. It even has a higher security deposit.

Question the thread can probably answer: CSR covers the insurance on European rentals too, right? So I'm covered for 100k of damage to the car even without buying extra insurance?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 5, 2020

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

KillHour posted:

I didn’t even remember them going that exotic but probably because I was making the decision on a cheap MB SLK convertible or the 911/F-Type. Got offered the F-Type for the same price when I arrived but it was a coupe instead of the convertible and this was cruising with the wife instead of fun driving for me. The MB and F-Type were both brand new, but it’s probably worth calling.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Arzakon posted:

I didn’t even remember them going that exotic but probably because I was making the decision on a cheap MB SLK convertible or the 911/F-Type. Got offered the F-Type for the same price when I arrived but it was a coupe instead of the convertible and this was cruising with the wife instead of fun driving for me. The MB and F-Type were both brand new, but it’s probably worth calling.

That class of cars is apparently by special request, so when I put in the info on the website, I got a message saying they would call me. I'll ask all the questions then.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

KillHour posted:

Even still, it's not like its a DB11. At its newest, it could be a 2015 MY. The Evo has to be newer than that by a good stretch. It even has a higher security deposit.

Question the thread can probably answer: CSR covers the insurance on European rentals too, right? So I'm covered for 100k of damage to the car even without buying extra insurance?

Read the fine print, there's often an exception about "luxury" or "exotic" cars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cheque_some posted:

Read the fine print, there's often an exception about "luxury" or "exotic" cars.

Good call. Fine print is here: https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/...47d4251af0a2b42

Important parts:

quote:

The Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver benefit provides
reimbursement for damages caused by theft or collision up
to seventy-five thousand ($75,000.00) dollars. The Auto
Rental Collision Damage Waiver acts as primary coverage and
covers theft, damage, valid loss-of-use charges imposed and
substantiated by the auto rental company, administrative fees, and
reasonable and customary towing charges (due to a covered theft
or damage) to the nearest qualified repair facility. The Auto Rental
Collision Damage Waiver covers no other type of loss. For example,
in the event of a collision involving Your Rental Vehicle, damage to
any other driver’s car, the injury of anyone, or damage to anything
is not covered. Rental periods up to thirty-one (31) consecutive
days are covered.

During this transaction, review the Rental Car Agreement
and decline the rental company’s collision damage waiver
(CDW/LDW) option or a similar provision. Accepting this
coverage will cancel out Your benefit. If the rental company
insists that You purchase their insurance or collision damage
waiver, call the Benefit Administrator for assistance.

This benefit is available in the United States and most foreign
countries. Coverage is not available where precluded by law, or
where it’s in violation of the territory terms of the auto rental
agreement, or when prohibited by individual merchants. If you
have questions about where coverage applies, contact the Benefit
Administrator before You travel.

Certain vehicles are not covered by this benefit, including: antique
cars (cars over twenty (20) years old or that have not been
manufactured for ten (10) years or more), cargo vans, vehicles
with open cargo beds, trucks, (other than pick-ups), motorcycles,
mopeds, motorbikes, limousines, and recreational vehicles and
passenger vans with seating for more than nine (9) people,
including the driver (passenger vans with seating for nine (9) or
less, including the driver, are covered).

Seems pretty straight forward. They cover their asses with the 75k limit. I guess it's possible to rack up a >75k bill totaling an R8, but I'm comfortable with that being a vanishingly low probability.

Edit: I'm surprised it covers towing and loss of use charges, too. That's a crazy good benefit.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 6, 2020

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Forgot one thing, if you haven't driven in Spain their highways have an infinite number of speed cameras. They work. However, in my experience no matter how many you speed through you can only get one ticket per 24 hours because I only got one for Madrid->Lisbon. They are very well marked if you want to slow down for them but I am very stupid and didn't recognize "giant sign with camera icon" = "slow down, idiot".

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Water Resistant posted:

I've got Business and first class reward flights all over Asia for June for my honeymoon. Nothing in mainland China at least, but transitioning through Hong Kong. So I'm really hoping things are better before I have to make a decision and probably lose those flights. Get it together China!

Congrats! Will this be your first time up front? My wife and I have done Cathay, Korean, ANA, and EVA premium classes on a few different trips and it's so much fun.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
DHS is blocking NY state residents from applying for or renewing GE, NEXUS, and SENTRI, because the state wants to require a court order before they hand DMV records over to ICE. Sounds like it won't impact existing TTP cardholders for the time being, at least.

If you're outside of NY and have less than a year until expiration, probably best to get on that ASAP. If this isn't stopped in the courts, chances are decent it'll expand to other places with laws that Trump doesn't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I am traveling to New York for a friend's bachelor party and have to drive about 2.5 hours up the Hudson from La Guardia to the Catskills. So when I saw that you could rent an R8 to do this from Sixt I got pretty excited but it seems like the only place you can rent Sixt in NYC is from Battery Park which would be a little hike from the airport and also they only rent Caddys. Too bad.