Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any reason why this will only now launch on my second monitor?

Edit, nevermind. Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Out of the blue yesterday found this thread. One hour later, wow ok im playing CoH again.

Any pvp at all going on? Ive never actually tried it on live, would probably try to mess around with it.

Like everyone else, had fun just preparing 6 characters ready for when i wanna try a defender controller etc...

Since we can have 2 accounts running, i started off playing a Power leveler, but is it worth it? I mean do i need to lvl a char all the way to 50 just so he can lvl my other chars? Or theres pretty much always xp farming groups that if i get tired of regular leveling i can just hop on one?

If it isnt, i might just start leveling my pvp builds i prepared yesterday

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Power leveling alts is not a real big deal, play how you feel.

having a 50 can fund your other characters very easily, so you dont have to scrounge for enhancements. Without farming, a 50 earns about 30k inf per boss, 100k per level 50 white invention to a vender. a level 12-18 character needs about 300k to buy basic DO enhances, for jsut playing as you level. at 22, fund level 25 basic white inventions for all your slots. technically worse than a even level SO, they never expire. prolly cost about 400-500k

the exemplar system works great as well, to just jump into anything you feel like.

no idea on pvp, i never cared for it in anything.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018

winterwerefox posted:

Power leveling alts is not a real big deal, play how you feel.

having a 50 can fund your other characters very easily, so you dont have to scrounge for enhancements. Without farming, a 50 earns about 30k inf per boss, 100k per level 50 white invention to a vender. a level 12-18 character needs about 300k to buy basic DO enhances, for jsut playing as you level. at 22, fund level 25 basic white inventions for all your slots. technically worse than a even level SO, they never expire. prolly cost about 400-500k

the exemplar system works great as well, to just jump into anything you feel like.

no idea on pvp, i never cared for it in anything.

I was thinking less about the money than the time to grind it out? Money wasnt on my radar yet. Im pretty poor i think i have like 5k lol. Thx for feedback on that.

I can already tell that once the novelty wears off, its going to be a slog getting other characters leveled up though i havent touched these P2W vendors ive read about here and there in this thread. (edit: just did and pretty cool you can turn on 25, 50 and 100% xp bonus at will)

What are DOs? I have 2 chars close to 10, gonna choose tonite if i take the power level route or just level a char to actually use it end game.

Are there in demands classes for end game grouping? Might go for that instead. Played FF14 recently and insta healer queues got me hooked to quick grouping. Im guessing theres loads of DPSs? And i get its "play what you want" but what i want is fast grouping if i can have that, i enjoy pretty much any role. I mean if it really doesnt matter then i might play my ice/plant blaster called "Beyond Cheese" to get a feel for pvp.

Aster0ids fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 29, 2020

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
This isn't WoW, you don't rush to level cap for end game in CoX. Furthermore, nobody gives a flying gently caress what class you are. They care about 3 things only:
1) Do you have hands?
2) Do you have eyes?
3) Are you an rear end in a top hat?

Any combination of classes can run content just fine. Really, it's not an issue. General Support is always preferred over straight healing.

Most people go to Atlas Park, and run Death From Below 3-4 times to level up to 10-15ish, then running Positron Task Force parts 1 & 2 will get you to 20+. Running Task Forces is one of the best ways to level, there's always someone running one or wanting to run one and they fill quick.

If you're playing on the Homecoming cluster(which you should be), getting & selling your first piece of orange Rare salvage will make you a good 400-500k, and that will enable you to comfortably kit yourself out with Dual Origin and eventually Single Origin enhancements. You can also gently caress around with Invention Origin enhancements, although this thread loves to argue about when you should start in on those(I say lvl 32, but some people argue you should immediately).

The only place you'll find PvP is on Indomitable. Roll there if you want to do it.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018

Brave New World posted:

This isn't WoW, you don't rush to level cap for end game in CoX. Furthermore, nobody gives a flying gently caress what class you are. They care about 3 things only:
1) Do you have hands?
2) Do you have eyes?
3) Are you an rear end in a top hat?

Any combination of classes can run content just fine. Really, it's not an issue. General Support is always preferred over straight healing.

Most people go to Atlas Park, and run Death From Below 3-4 times to level up to 10-15ish, then running Positron Task Force parts 1 & 2 will get you to 20+. Running Task Forces is one of the best ways to level, there's always someone running one or wanting to run one and they fill quick.

If you're playing on the Homecoming cluster(which you should be), getting & selling your first piece of orange Rare salvage will make you a good 400-500k, and that will enable you to comfortably kit yourself out with Dual Origin and eventually Single Origin enhancements. You can also gently caress around with Invention Origin enhancements, although this thread loves to argue about when you should start in on those(I say lvl 32, but some people argue you should immediately).

The only place you'll find PvP is on Indomitable. Roll there if you want to do it.

Thanks for the newb starting tips everyone. Ill play my blaster then. Yeah im already on indom from reading the thread here a bit.

Useful collection of guides for other people starting out:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/11218-r_ms-guide-to-r_ms-guides/

Aster0ids fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 29, 2020

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Training Origin (TO) enhances are the most basic of enhances your powers can take. they are about ~8% boost per slot used. trash, only slot if you dont care. you will out level these so fast the time spent slotting them is better spent playing.

Dual Origin (DO) enhances give a ~15% boost to a stat. +15% accuracy, or damage etc, per slot filled with this. the levels 12-22 can be slow enough to make this worth slotting.

Single Origin (SO) enhances give a ~33% boost to a power's stat. level 22 is where these become available for sale from stores. You can realistically only have 3 of these in one power enhancing 1 aspect of the power. with 6 slots in a power, a very safe basic slotting of an attack is 1 accuracy, 3 damage, 1 endurance reduction, 1 recharge reduction. This is because of a system put in place called Enhancement diversification. its real hard diminishing returns to slot more that 100% into a power toward one aspect. Theoretically, you could hit this cap with DO enhances if you slotted 6 DOs of a similar aspect, but realistically, only SO level things will hit it.

All of the above have a semi hidden feature where you can drag and drop another of the same type into a spot already slotted, and combine the two enhances to get level X+ and X++ variants of enhances, but most people dont. All of the above enhances vary in power based on the level you slot them, and the level you are, compared to the level of the enhancement. At level 22, slotting level 25 SO enhancements, they give a 38% boost. when you level to 23, they give a 35% boost. When you outlevel the SO by hitting level 28 or 29, the SO will shut off, like you had nothing in the power, and the level before they shut off, they will be only boosting by about +25%. The combining + and ++ system can alliviate this somewhat, but is generally not worth it.

Invention Origin (IO) are like the other Origin enhancements, In that they can be slotted every 5 levels. But rather than scale with your level, they give a flat bonus. when you can slot the level 25 IOs, they are at 32% effectiveness. Worse, really than the SO you can slot at that point. You craft them from salvage, a recipe, and a crafting bench, such as one in the south of Steel Canyon in the university. You said you are level 10, so that should be a zone you can access. The biggest advantage for Inventions is they never change in power, and never expire like the others can. If you have a 50 funding your alts, you can slot level 25 inventions at 22, or, as the above poster said, 35 inventions at 32 in everything, and only feed in 1 or 2 more IOs as you level from then on. This is expensive up front, but saves headache over time.

There is a sub set of invention origin enhancements as well, named sets. Typically, they allow you do do things that beat out the standard set by 1acc/3dam/1end/1rech. Sets can give more bang per slot, by doing things like +20% accuracy and damage in one slot. They also give bonuses for slotting more of a same set in one power, giving small global bonuses for having more of that set. You can have 5 copies of these set bonuses, Recharge is a common one to build for. my Tank, for instance, has global recharge of 52% before i use hasten, or any other power that might boost my recharge speed, from sets.

for leveling, ALWAYS run as much +100% xp boosters as you can. the influence you give up from low level play is not worth it. Get to higher levels as fast as possible for at least 1 character. then just play that character in what ever you feel like. money will flow, and soon you will have a few hundred million and not know why, but can jsut toss it at alts.

Cant think of much else at the moment.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do people here still mostly play on Indomitable? It's been a while since I've played but I'm itching to jump back in.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Indom is still the place. It got real quiet over the holidays, but usually if you shout in goonchat someone will shout back. most leveling groups I've had lately have been pubby-intensive, though.

I find myself not wanting to level up much, since I'm not at all interested in the endgame. maybe I should make more of an effort to find pubby TF groups...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm on Excelsior, because some friends were. I'm leading TFs constantly, mostly the weekly target. Had very few utter disasters so far.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

Indom is still the place. It got real quiet over the holidays, but usually if you shout in goonchat someone will shout back. most leveling groups I've had lately have been pubby-intensive, though.

I find myself not wanting to level up much, since I'm not at all interested in the endgame. maybe I should make more of an effort to find pubby TF groups...
yeah after taking a little break over the holidays i realized basically want to get to ~30-35 where you get the fun powers and gently caress around there. i actually like ITs but the grind of finishing a character's incarnates is frustrating if you can't get poo poo to drop so why bother

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I've been enjoying some of the incarnate stuff, if only because it came along after I dropped the game. Also doing some of the TFs that were added after I dropped, or never got a chance to. Going to try to do Faathim tonight!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like having a lot of incarnate stuff on my favorite character but I don't really care if I get into it with others. It's fun to do once, at least. And doing "The Really Hard Way" in the incarnate trials with a bunch of goons before Shadowbringers dropped kicked rear end.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Platonicsolid posted:

I've been enjoying some of the incarnate stuff, if only because it came along after I dropped the game. Also doing some of the TFs that were added after I dropped, or never got a chance to. Going to try to do Faathim tonight!

I actually really like them just not the Incarnate Grind that goes with them. Dilemma Diabolique is the best and no one runs it ever bc lambda/baf are ~efficient~

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I AM THE MOON posted:

I actually really like them just not the Incarnate Grind that goes with them. Dilemma Diabolique is the best and no one runs it ever bc lambda/baf are ~efficient~

BAF was kind of cool the first time, but yeah, gets old. I did Dilemma a week or two ago and it was impressively weird. Sort of the same reason I like the shadow shard stuff - the cosmic weirdness of it is a nice contrast to the sameness of the city.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Its a real shame the shard never got more love for missions and contacts in it. the place is loving huge. Only the Tfs, some badges, and the indication of where the actual old school non super military is.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Everlasting still has heaps of players and it's super easy to find competent groups to run iTrials or whatever.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Aster0ids posted:

Any pvp at all going on? Ive never actually tried it on live, would probably try to mess around with it.

I wandered into Recluse's Victory the other day (the only PvP zone with any appreciable PvP) and it sucked just as much as ever. Take SS, SJ, and Stealth and spend all your time jousting/sniping/enduring the same two or three Broadcast macros like "[NAME] your pooper hole just got excavated by *** xX mR pANTZ Xx ***"

Can't say if there's any appreciable Arena scene but if you can find a group of people you can tolerate I can't see why it can't be fun to mess around with as a change of pace.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
go to Pocket D and challenge some nerds to duels

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Announce in /help that you're going to get exploration badges in whatever pvp zone you want and somebody will be there.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gladiator battles are the only PvP that matters

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

winterwerefox posted:

Its a real shame the shard never got more love for missions and contacts in it. the place is loving huge. Only the Tfs, some badges, and the indication of where the actual old school non super military is.

Technically the Shard does have contacts and missions! ...But they're just repeatable task sets.

There's like, three unique missions in the Shard - an introduction to how gravity geysers work, and then a set of missions that are supposed to open up an easy travel route between FBZ and the middle of Cascade Archipelago...which was obsoleted by them adding the direct portals to each Shard zone from FBZ.

The most frustrating thing is that the story bible is bursting full of concepts that never made it into the game. There's supposed to be like twice as many Rularuu aspects floating around, for instance.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Rularuu was never one of the interesting parts of the game's lore IMO.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Crasical posted:

I agree but with the qualifier that this was because they never did anything with him. There's notes about all kinds of insane-sounding cosmic poo poo, some of it referenced in game, but it just doesn't show up anywhere and what we got instead for CoH's cosmic tier stuff was like a year of punching minority report and a blue man in pyjamas. Rularuu would've been much cooler.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The shard should've had the kind of attention to detail that praetoria got and I can't think of why that would be.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crasical posted:

Rularuu by himself just reads as off-brand Galactus but it turns out they had an entire backstory concocted for where he came from (a mystical race that could dimension hop) and why he does what he does (he figured out if he dimension hopped "wrong" he would quantum leap himself into the next dimension's version of him, instantly killing that version but absorbing all of his knowledge and experience. repeat until godhood, then keep going.).

Then there's the actual reason for why the Shadow Shard exists: The Dream Doctor is Primal Earth's version of Rularuu and sensing his approach did a magical ritual in an attempt to sever his tie to Rularuu and/or just outright kill him (I believe this would have meant him sacrificing himself in the process). But instead*, the ritual sliced off a tiny sliver of the soul of every person living in Paragon City and created a shadow duplicate that decoyed Rularuu and then trapped him there. This is the reason for one of the few actual lore tidbits that exist in-game - denizens of the Shard inexplicably have memories of Paragon City. And may explain the Reflections (though those are also under the purview of one of the unseen aspects, Uuralur the Mirror, but I'm gonna pretend that he's the aspect formed from the fake Dream Doctor that presumably existed at the heart of the Shard).

*IIRC, the original original story was that the Midnight Squad was just kinda shady and did it because they had no other choice. Then the story changed to "something went wrong with the ritual" with no elaboration. The final version of events is that the Dream Doctor was using the Dagger of Jocas to accomplish the ritual and Mender Silos went back in time and futzed with how the dagger worked...somehow, resulting in the Shadow Shard. Why? Because Silos wanted to keep Rularuu in his back pocket to use against the Coming Storm. Which as was revealed in a lore AMA boiled down to "shoot Rularuu out of a big space gun at the bad guys" yes really. This is the sole reason why the Dream Doctor doesn't get along with Silos and has been going behind his back leaving letters everywhere telling you not to trust him.

And then there's the unseen aspects of Rularuu and the hints towards a greater organization of creatures. Oh, and the Rulu-shin cult that they briefly touched on in connection with Darrin Wade (ugh). There's also little details like how Rularuu's model has fractured arms, chest, and head all representing the loose aspects we see in the Shard. Or how the Shard has a small handful of intentional Things that don't even get exploration badges denoting them, like the big stone throne.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Shard ended up how it did because carts were put before horses. The Shard zones read like they would've served a Big Endgame System but...we didn't get a workable one of those for years. But we know they had desperately experimented with various concepts for a long while, until the only idea left was "what if big nasty aliens showed up out of nowhere and the only way you could even dent them was to craft special fancy enhancements?" ...which naturally split off into IOs and Incarnates from there.

It also probably didn't help that the Shadow Shard shared dev time with the Hollows, which was their first foray into story-oriented zones, and they also did all four Shard zones at once despite only having enough content to support maybe two at most. By the time we could've had a Shard revamp and Incarnate integration and whatever else, they needed Praetoria to fill out a whole paid expansion pack and then Miller was pushing his dumb Battalion concept as hard as possible so there was never any room for it.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 31, 2020

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

Things that don't even get exploration badges denoting them, like the big stone throne.

Pic? Coords?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Don't have anything at hand and I'm not in a rush to go manually looking for it, tbh. It's not particularly impressive - it's literally a big chair made out of rock prefabs.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think they're more than hinted at; the game outright establishes the Observers are some kind of ruling caste of the Soldiers of Rularuu, and the Factory Cubes and Willforges are mentioned, they just... never appear in the game at all.

It was definitely a whole lot of wasted opportunity. I'd love to play a post-Faultline Shadow Shard. Even if they had to condense the four zones into one to do it, frankly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Technically some of that does/did exist by way of the Cathedral of Pain and the Items of Power, but of the already thin Rularuu stuff they're some of the thinnest.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Man I didn't expect this to show up in the game I was playing

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
it's even using the official badge art. lol.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh hey, how long has the abandoned sewer trial let you be incarnate for it? Or is that a new wrinkle Homecoming put in?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Enhancement Converter prices have been fluctuating the past few days. I've had quite a few sell for 150-200k each. Logged in this morning to find someone bought 20 of them for 1mil each :signings:

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Hah this is amazing this exists, sadly I just don't have the time/patience these days. It's really cool that they found a way to bring it back though.

edit/disclaimer: it wasn't my powers

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Glazius posted:

Oh hey, how long has the abandoned sewer trial let you be incarnate for it? Or is that a new wrinkle Homecoming put in?

I believe they bumped up the maximum levels for Abandoned Sewer Trial and Eden Trial for that exact purpose, yeah. Anything to get people to actually play those old clunkers (well, Eden owns, but you don't really get anything interesting from either of them).

Also tangentially related, but reminder that they completely removed simultaneous glowie clicks from the game, so Cavern of Transcendence is no longer a loving nightmare and you can't be stonewalled by random contact missions that require them. (The objective text will say otherwise but you can just click 'em one at a time like normal.) I didn't even realize they had the nerve to put a new one at the end of Penelope Yin's TF for no good reason whatsoever.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 4, 2020

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Good lord, thank god for that. the 'same time' crap was such bullshit cat herding.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

John Murdoch posted:

I believe they bumped up the maximum levels for Abandoned Sewer Trial and Eden Trial for that exact purpose, yeah. Anything to get people to actually play those old clunkers (well, Eden owns, but you don't really get anything interesting from either of them).

Also tangentially related, but reminder that they completely removed simultaneous glowie clicks from the game, so Cavern of Transcendence is no longer a loving nightmare and you can't be stonewalled by random contact missions that require them. (The objective text will say otherwise but you can just click 'em one at a time like normal.) I didn't even realize they had the nerve to put a new one at the end of Penelope Yin's TF for no good reason whatsoever.

Being charitable here, I could make a case for the original intent being to prevent you from hitting the computers with two hundred Freakshow running at you and spawning Clamor in on top of them. That's not a fun time when you're running that one on-level.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hey I got a new laptop and apparently copied the wrong text file of binds. Who has a link to those mastermind binds, the set I copied over are not the ones I was using on my old computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Soonmot posted:

Hey I got a new laptop and apparently copied the wrong text file of binds. Who has a link to those mastermind binds, the set I copied over are not the ones I was using on my old computer.

Here's Sandolphan's binds, those are the ones I used.

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Mastermind_Numpad_Pet_Controls