Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

ask for extra PTO instead and use it to look for a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Love Stole the Day posted:

If you play a critical ownership role in cutting $10M from your company's operating cash outflows over the next Fiscal Year, how high of a building do you jump off of when the company says they can only offer you their standard, single-digit % cap on raises and bonuses; and that you have no alternative to negotiate with because you can't win the algorithm lottery? asking for a friend because the building they're moving into next month is only a few stories but the one next to it is pretty tall actually i'm kidding, it's just a way to cope
Unpopular answer: people capable of improving the financial performance of a company this much should be trading cash comp for equity during the offer phase

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
How negotiable are yearly raises usually?

For context, I'm an engineer I, and have been working for a little over a year so I'm kinda ignorant about this subject. My last annual raise was 1%, but that was probably because I had only been working for a few months. I'm hoping I'll get promoted to engineer II, but I also don't know what the pay difference is between an engineer I and II.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Vulture Culture posted:

Unpopular answer: people capable of improving the financial performance of a company this much should be trading cash comp for equity during the offer phase

depends imo. when i was younger i left a job because i cut a startups aws spend by five digits a month/40% and "only" got a $20k bonus and an outstanding performance review. the manager who hired me got promoted to director

looking back the manager who got the headcount and runway to put me on reducing the aws bill did the hard work; i just did a job almost anyone in my position could have done

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

the talent deficit posted:

looking back the manager who got the headcount and runway to put me on reducing the aws bill did the hard work; i just did a job almost anyone in my position could have done
Congratulations on your growth! Did you ever tell this to that manager?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Faith For Two posted:

For context, I'm an engineer I, and have been working for a little over a year so I'm kinda ignorant about this subject. My last annual raise was 1%, but that was probably because I had only been working for a few months. I'm hoping I'll get promoted to engineer II, but I also don't know what the pay difference is between an engineer I and II.

If you got 1% last year then probably near zero. A lot of companies give the manager a pool of money based on ratings so you getting a higher raise either reduces someone elses or they have to go and specifically ask for more for you. If you have any chance under this scenario you need to be prepping your boss ahead of time, preferably six months or more, since he's going to need to get his managers onboard as well.

As a side note, you should be discussing your career trajectory and promotion with your manager as well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Faith For Two posted:

Raises are made in today’s economy by job hoping. It’s expected.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

asur posted:

As a side note, you should be discussing your career trajectory and promotion with your manager as well.

This. Your manager isn't a mind reader and not necessarily going to assume your interest in a promotion. You and your manager should be regularly reviewing the list of expectations for the next job title level and getting feedback on where you fit on there, so there is clarity and agreement on where you stand. This is also where you ask for (or your manager voluntells you for) stretch goals that allow you to show your ability to perform at the level expected of the higher job title.

If your manager is not willing or able to have these conversations with you, I strongly suggest you look at getting a new one.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ratbert90 posted:

No, that's how people don't get raises. Job hopping, on the other hand, works pretty well! :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

No, that's how people don't get raises. Job hopping, on the other hand, works pretty well! :v:

Curse me for not proof reading! :argh:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ratbert90 posted:

It's very possible to get raises as good as you could find externally in many companies, but at the end of the day the benchmark you're playing against is still looking externally. If this is ever not the case (and you're not earning top of market Bridgewater money), you've stumbled into nepotism because the company is literally doing you a favor

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Inacio posted:

it's a javascript position

so i had tried to push this off my mind but they emailed me reminding me to do the test because it's the last day.
well, i gave it a look in PHP. i spent more time trying to get the PHP syntax right than trying to do the test, eventually gave up in frustration.
at least now i don't have to stress over it anymore, i guess. :v:

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Inacio posted:

so i had tried to push this off my mind but they emailed me reminding me to do the test because it's the last day.

If they emailed you to remind you, it might mean they really want to hire someone (or it might be automated...). Did you point out to them that they didn't offer the test in JavaScript?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

dividertabs posted:

If they emailed you to remind you, it might mean they really want to hire someone (or it might be automated...). Did you point out to them that they didn't offer the test in JavaScript?

yep. wrote that i wasn't sufficiently proficient in the languages that were available, thanked the opportunity and hope that i can apply again in the future etc

this email was different from the automated one and asked if i would take the test by the end date or explain why not, so i'm hoping there's a human somewhere in there

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Inacio posted:

yep. wrote that i wasn't sufficiently proficient in the languages that were available, thanked the opportunity and hope that i can apply again in the future etc

Please tell me you specifically mentioned JS not being available. It's entirely possible they don't even realize they forgot to check that box.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Adhemar posted:

Please tell me you specifically mentioned JS not being available. It's entirely possible they don't even realize they forgot to check that box.

i forgot to mention JS specifically. i forgot. i'm sorry.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the interview strategy for going startup -> blue chip company. I have been doing startups for a while now and enjoy the flexibility and relatively flat management structure. Blue chips are pretty rigid management typically.

My ~14 year tech career looks something like:

Midlevel sized corporate finance tech, old school
Series A -> Series B scrappy tech startup
Series B startup scrappy tech startup
Series D -> Series E startup, good growth but slow burn due to regulatory BS

A couple of blue chip companies have reached out, one is a "big three" consulting firm. I am meeting with hiring managers to feel things out. My wife and I are adulting now and wife has suggested several times I look for a more stable big company job to support our adulting lifestyle/goals.

Has anyone done anything like this? From the blog articles I've read they are going to be typical corporate overlord type with 9-5, a dress code etc. Do I lean back on my corporate finance experience from... almost a decade ago? Talk up project planning, deadlines, meetings, how to be pleasantly passive aggressive via email chains... Or if they are reaching out to me are they going to be more interested in the can-do, do-everything start up culture of wearing many hats.

My brother in law worked for an "internal startup" at a major bank, but I've also seen button-down IBM style tech stuff too, like at my corporate finance tech job.

If it's a proper corporate gig, how do you transition in to a role there, it seems like half or more of the people at this consulting company start right out of college and then they work them to the bone and whoever doesn't flame out in the first five years, get promoted to senior, to manage the next batch of fresh meat to go through the grinder. I am no spring chicken so are they going to want me to play the meat grinder game starting at ground level, or do I get to skip that step and move in to a role with built-in seniority. Wife is concerned I will end up doing a lot of travel and work late nights.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Hadlock posted:

My wife and I are adulting now and wife has suggested several times I look for a more stable big company job to support our adulting lifestyle/goals.

I have no idea about any of your actual questions, but the equation "big company job" == "stability" is largely a myth. I'm not really sure what the rest of the sentence means (why can't you adult-as-a-verb at a startup?), so I hope you have a better reason for making the transition. Why is your wife suggesting this? Do you agree with her?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
My experience at blue chip companies has varied hugely depending on my team and division. There is never monolithic control from above, there's just too many people for that to be possible. Instead these little micro-cultures develop.

A dress code is super rare.

Consulting is a different beast. I've heard they tend to have a "up or out" philosophy, but I don't have first hand experience.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Anyone have any thoughts on mentoring junior devs who are struggling? I feel like I am not doing a great job, partially because I can tell I am losing my patience and being short. Though I also want to be careful I'm not veering into just doing someone's work for them. I don't have managerial authority or anything but enough people have quit to where I'm one of the more senior (both in the general sense and in terms of tenure at my place) people around so I'm kind of in unfamiliar waters.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 6, 2020

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

pokeyman posted:

I have no idea about any of your actual questions, but the equation "big company job" == "stability" is largely a myth. I'm not really sure what the rest of the sentence means (why can't you adult-as-a-verb at a startup?), so I hope you have a better reason for making the transition. Why is your wife suggesting this? Do you agree with her?

Yeah this is seriously red flaggy unless there's more to it, which I'm sure there is. I can't imagine commenting on the worthiness of someone's position in their career ladder without being some kind of expert in both their field and their personal career history.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on mentoring junior devs who are struggling? I feel like I am not doing a great job, partially because I can tell I am losing my patience and being short. Though I also want to be careful I'm not veering into just doing someone's work for them. I don't have managerial authority or anything but enough people have quit to where I'm one of the more senior (both in the general sense and in terms of tenure at my place) people around so I'm kind of in unfamiliar waters.

Sometimes a relevant book can work. Often when I've been talking past another dev it's because we're trying to communicate with no shared vocabulary and different sets of assumptions.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

pokeyman posted:

My day to day work at bigco's has generally been more stable. At startups I was having to switch hats every half day, e.g. between dev and QA, here I just do the same thing. At bigcos I switched roles "fast" meaning once a year or so? I haven't been a consultant though, it might be possible that one day you're fixing bread prices in Canada and a week later shipped over to Kabul.

Hadlock posted:

My brother in law worked for an "internal startup" at a major bank, but I've also seen button-down IBM style tech stuff too, like at my corporate finance tech job.
I will say that these types of initiatives fail. Startups have hungry people facing actual failure, washing out of an 'internal startup' rarely has those stakes.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

If possible, pair with them, and (I can't emphasize this enough) always let them use the keyboard and direct the pairing session. They should explain what they think is going on, how they plan to address it, and then actually do the coding. Your goal should be listening to them and identifying which part of their assignments they are struggling with. Are they totally lost in the codebase? Do they have decent instincts, but lack detailed knowledge of how to apply them? Are they simply lazy about the level of polish they're applying? Those are all fixable.

If they're actively hostile to feedback, argumentative, or think they're way better than they are and you're just being mean, that's less fixable, and you should reevaluate whether or not it's worth your time to deal with them.

If you absolutely have to, tell them how to do their assignments, but always make them type up and run the solutions themselves. Even if it's telling them line-by-line what to add, this will be more likely to be remembered than just demonstrating stuff over and over.

Personally I struggle with talking way too much when pairing, and I have to hold myself back and remember to just be quiet and answer questions. It's easy to zone out when someone is lecturing you, but way harder when you're actively writing code and figuring stuff out. It's super, super difficult to be a good active listener, but actually letting someone figure stuff out for themselves with a patient, guiding hand pays off dividends in creating better teammates.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

My day to day work at bigco's has generally been more stable. At startups I was having to switch hats every half day, e.g. between dev and QA, here I just do the same thing. At bigcos I switched roles "fast" meaning once a year or so? I haven't been a consultant though, it might be possible that one day you're fixing bread prices in Canada and a week later shipped over to Kabul.

I interpreted "stable" in the op's context as "less likely to be laid off or start missing paycheques". Maybe if they return they can clarify!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

I got my first raise outside of government at my last job of about 3%. I never asked for it. I just got my job done and it was all good. Too bad I quit in the end anyway after getting a stock grant with a mediocre vesting cliff.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
3% is a pay cut after inflation.

EDIT: vvv poo poo you're right. I am not having the best day for thinking clearly, sorry.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 7, 2020

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

No it isn't?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Before 2008 or so it might've been.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

vonnegutt posted:

If they're actively hostile to feedback, argumentative, or think they're way better than they are and you're just being mean, that's less fixable, and you should reevaluate whether or not it's worth your time to deal with them.

I recently had one of these, he said I was mean and went to literally cry at his manager. We agreed I would not mentor him anymore. Later I heard more people avoided helping him. Maybe one day he will learn?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

vonnegutt posted:

Personally I struggle with talking way too much when pairing, and I have to hold myself back and remember to just be quiet and answer questions.

Yup, this is my biggest issue when pairing with someone far less experienced. I end up driving from the side-chair. A big no-no.

I think it mostly comes from me internalizing the business pressure that wants everything now, but also wants the knowledge transfer trough pairing. These two things are a bit opposite, at least at the beginning of the process. I do need to chill the f out and be the support my mentee needs and let the business sort out their priorities themselves.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

gbut posted:

Yup, this is my biggest issue when pairing with someone far less experienced. I end up driving from the side-chair. A big no-no.

I think it mostly comes from me internalizing the business pressure that wants everything now, but also wants the knowledge transfer trough pairing. These two things are a bit opposite, at least at the beginning of the process. I do need to chill the f out and be the support my mentee needs and let the business sort out their priorities themselves.

I like to treat pairing sessions as live PR reviews. Things I would catch out on code review and the amount of help I would provide should be about the same while pairing, plus a few of those "wild" ideas that pop up for more out-there solutions.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Been promoted to a lead/staff eng role. Hooray!

Now I find myself in a situation where while I'm still on one product team, a good portion of the work expected of me can't be neatly packaged into a ticket on our board because it has bigger crosscutting ownership across the company.

Curious how y'all balance this and diplomatically tell your own project people "no" because you need to preserve time for doing all the other work that needs to be done but isn't for your primary team.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

kitten smoothie posted:

Now I find myself in a situation where while I'm still on one product team, a good portion of the work expected of me can't be neatly packaged into a ticket on our board because it has bigger crosscutting ownership across the company.

Curious how y'all balance this and diplomatically tell your own project people "no" because you need to preserve time for doing all the other work that needs to be done but isn't for your primary team.

Explain your priorities and offer to help someone else cover if they need that thing done before you’d be able to get to it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

kitten smoothie posted:

Well done.

You should probably be winding down the crosscut work mostly. As a lead, a lot of your job is breaking down tickets into work that your jr engineers can do. Like a conductor who is also a soloist. Also, I would absolutely find a way to get your crosscut project into your own board, just for the sake of visibility, even if it's duplicated elsewhere.

I'm "interviewing" for engineering manager at my company, which basically means that I need to meet the other head of the business unit before they :+1: me taking on that role.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I saw people were posting about conference talks, few other tips:

- Try to get a recording of yourself giving a talk at a local meetup or make a recording at home and put it on YouTube. Most CFPs will ask for a video of you speaking.
- Don't write a novel; CFP reviewers will usually have hundreds or thousands of them to wade through, and a short but clear abstract/overview will be easier for them to remember than a long and overly verbose one.
- For the most part, people don't write their talks in advance of being accepted to speak, even if they're talking about something that's already been done. Practical talks usually do well (for example, "How I saved 10 million bucks a year with this one weird trick in Kubernetes, Google hates me!"), culture and emerging tech is usually much harder due to an inflated speaker pool unless you're a maintainer or developer of said emerging tech.
- Always, always, always make sure you tell the organizers in your CFP response what the audience will get from your talk. Will they also be able to save 10 million bucks a year with this one weird trick? How? Again, you don't need to give all the answers at the point you write the CFP, but you need to tell the organizers what the problem is, why you have the problem, how you solved the problem, and how other people can too.
- Local or regional meetups/tech talks are a good place for "Here's something interesting about <x> that I know about" that might not fly at bigger events. DevOps Days are usually good for this, especially if you're in a mid-market area. Keep in mind that there's also a few thousand people in developer relations that are trying to get talks accepted at places too, and they have a budget to fly around and poo poo.
- Don't get discouraged by rejections, 10-20% acceptance rates are pretty standard even for people who do this as a career. There's more people that want to give talks than there are places to give talks.

If anyone has any other questions about this or other dev rel topics, lmk. I moved from engineering to full-time dev rel last year and would be happy to discuss it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

You shouldnt have to tell then no. They should know that you're only allocated to the project for a specific amount of time. If they try to give you more just remind them that your only allocated to the project for the specific amount of them and you can't commit to more. I don't think you need to be that diplomatic about, but I'd definitely be firm on what you commit to.

asur fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 11, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

A remote job suddenly appears!
Resume, I choose you!
Remote job does "half the pay you currently get"
it is not very effective.
Resume, do "explain current income"
Remote job escaped successfully.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Keetron posted:

A remote job suddenly appears!
Resume, I choose you!
Remote job does "half the pay you currently get"
Resume, do "explain current income"
Remote job escaped successfully.

I have the opposite problem occasionally. An interesting gig pops up on my radar, I explain that I work remote right now and having to commute again would mean I'd require a fairly substantial salary increase to make it worth my while, and then we amicably end the conversation because I'm way outside of their price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I have the opposite problem occasionally. An interesting gig pops up on my radar, I explain that I work remote right now and having to commute again would mean I'd require a fairly substantial salary increase to make it worth my while, and then we amicably end the conversation because I'm way outside of their price range.

This is me as well