Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, that needs some trees, wildflower beds and a greenhouse. Feed the bees and grow some veggies :)

Definitely. If it were my place I'd have a veggie patch and an emphasis on Australian native plants. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it's actually a double sized block of land - blocks that size are incredibly rare in inner city neighbourhoods like Hendra. My Granddad bought it super cheap in the 60s (around 7k pounds I believe) Because the previous owner had bought it with the intention of building apartments, but the city council told him to gently caress off. Hendra is very inner city, one of the oldest neighbourhoods, and it's full of old Queenslanders. It's illegal to demolish or significantly alter houses from that era, and new developments these days need to be in keeping with the surrounding styles.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

Where are you? Someone may be able to give specific advice.

Probably the most sure fire way is to make it yourself, though. I did that for my basement fireplace, it would have cost like $600 to get one like what I wanted (similar to your pic but walnut) and instead I sourced the chunk of wood for about $100 and spent an hour shaping it to what I wanted and another hour putting the finish on. Turned out great.

In this case, I sourced it from a home improvement guy who does a ton of woodworking and works directly with a few saw mills, so he sells smaller chunks like that out of his shop and since it wasn’t trued up or anything, it was more just the raw cost of that volume of wood. Networking was key here.

e:

That looks great! I'm in western NY, and I don't think I've seen much from other people in this area post in this thread.

I can't imagine all these people with fireplace mantles are either buying them at home depot or building them themselves. I was hoping not to add this as yet another project, and to just throw some money at it and be done...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I was hoping for like, $200 or less.

I was hoping...to just throw some money at it and be done...

These may be directly opposed forces, FYI.

Here's a supplier we almost got our mantel from before doing it ourselves, maybe you can find something you like there. You can choose between a few different face styles, and a number of species. Click the overly-subtle "modify your search criteria" thing at the top of the list to specify species and style and size and such. These are unfinished, of course, so you'd have to deal with that. But just having to finish the thing takes it from "oh geez another project" to something much more manageable.

https://www.logstylemantels.com/inventory-results.cfm

Otherwise, the hollow box option is pretty common, not sure how the pricing on those stacks up. Probably cheaper.

That looks great! I'm in western NY
So close. If you'd done this four years ago, I would have said "Hey, bring a log over, we'll make a mantel one day."

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 3, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That looks great! I'm in western NY, and I don't think I've seen much from other people in this area post in this thread.

I can't imagine all these people with fireplace mantles are either buying them at home depot or building them themselves. I was hoping not to add this as yet another project, and to just throw some money at it and be done...

https://pioneermillworks.com/

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Made it to the end! American houses are fascinating. Half a million UK gets you a shoebox in comparison. On the other hand American houses are huge and cold and weirdly unwelcoming

Here's a UK house

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71490847.html

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 3, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Biome and geographical area has a lot to do with it, for example there's lots of strange-looking houses and yards in the southwest where I live, but in general, yeah, I agree. Suburban real estate is a wasteland until you breach a certain upper-class threshold and even then it can depend. American houses are ABSOLUTLEY too large on average, though, and that affects it too. It's hard to make an oversized drywall box look cozy and as the house size grows, so do the costs of landscaping the lot.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You'll never guess what's behind the other doors!

lmao wanna use that with just the bottom door open

the aroma-dome

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sloth Life posted:

Half a million UK gets you a shoebox in comparison.
Here's a UK house

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71490847.html

*posts EIGHT BEDROOM house listing to show that UK houses are small. listed for 550,000UK dollarydoos.

Yeah, I know it doesn't say how many square feet/metres the house actually is

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
In my defence you could fit 3 UK bedrooms in one mcmansion executive sleeping suite. A legit double is 10ft by 10ft apparently.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Bad Munki posted:

It’s solid walnut. There are two vertical steel straps (I say strap but they’re like 3/16” thick) screwed onto the back of the wood. Then, they put up the lathe and mortar, and while it was wet, screwed through the straps into the wall. Then they just put the stone right over it all. Super fuckin solid, which I verified by trying to stand up under the mantel once. drat near knocked me unconscious.

This was the only installation pic I could find that shows the attachment pieces. They’re flush with the base layer because we installed it while it was wet, so they sank in a little.

There’s 3/4” OSB under that base layer, that’s what the straps are screwed into.
I also have a walnut slab mantle. There are typically going to be some lumber mills that focus more on larger pieces and more esoteric species that sell bit slabs like that. Your typical commodity places won't have them.

As far as installation goes, my contractor basically installed metal rods in the studs, and just drilled out corresponding holes in the slab. lovely pic I was able to find:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

bring back old gbs posted:

the aroma-dome

Interior design: hotbox my poop chimney

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Interior design: hotbox my poop chimney

Lol seconded. Enough beatmaster poo poo

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

bring back old gbs posted:

the aroma-dome

Interior actually looks like this

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'm moving out of a house and into an apartment which I think I'm going to be furnishing basically from scratch. I'm trying to work out how much to spend on things but it's baffling to try to understand the distinctions in value for money between Amazon/Zinus (we have several pieces in our house and have held up fine especially with young kids), IKEA, CB2, Restoration Hardware, Hive Modern and Design Within Reach.

I just don't know if it's worth it to spend $2500 on a bed versus $250 on a bed. I guess I just wished I'd never be here.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I just don't know if it's worth it to spend $2500 on a bed versus $250 on a bed.
Since you implied elsewhere you’d probably only be there a year or so, I’d say no. I’d go for good mattress and an acceptable bed.

E: I may be mixing you up with someone else.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 4, 2020

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

wesleywillis posted:

*posts EIGHT BEDROOM house listing to show that UK houses are small. listed for 550,000UK dollarydoos.

Yeah, I know it doesn't say how many square feet/metres the house actually is

They annoyingly never link to the full EPC report for some reason, but it’s easy enough to find on epcregister.com, and it shows the full sq metres of livable space.

* caveat, my own house had its EPC sq metres wrongly listed as > 300 for some reason.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
So I've seen this home a few times, but there's no good way to see the back yard. From the front it looks like some Ex Machina sex dungeon:

It turns out there are some big windows and Eames chairs, but it's still mostly ugly.

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/208-Lessin-Ln-78704/home/31704916

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Since you implied elsewhere you’d probably only be there a year or so, I’d say no. I’d go for good mattress and an acceptable bed.

E: I may be mixing you up with someone else.

Naw that's me - I ended up deciding I was going to rent so yeah this is a good idea I think.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm moving out of a house and into an apartment which I think I'm going to be furnishing basically from scratch. I'm trying to work out how much to spend on things but it's baffling to try to understand the distinctions in value for money between Amazon/Zinus (we have several pieces in our house and have held up fine especially with young kids), IKEA, CB2, Restoration Hardware, Hive Modern and Design Within Reach.

I just don't know if it's worth it to spend $2500 on a bed versus $250 on a bed. I guess I just wished I'd never be here.

A $2500 bed is worth it if design is highly important to you, or if it has quality or features that you can't get in a less costly piece, but if function and durability are your priorities, then you may not need to spend that much. Each piece of furniture generally has to serve some function or functions, right? So everything should be of materials you can live with, have looks that you like, and with sufficient build quality that it won't irritate you to put it together or to have it around. Personally, I'll pay more if it gets me doors/drawers that fit well and close smoothly, and assembly (if any) that I won't lose my temper over.

I've found that assembly is the thing that really sets the super cheap stuff apart from the midgrade and higher stuff. Predrilled holes that don't match their fasteners, frames out of square, rubberwood or particle board that is so soft you can tear it with a fingernail are personal no-gos for me. Not all IKEA pieces are equally well made, though, so wherever you get it, being able to go look at the items before buying is important, so that you can spot the qualities (or deficiencies) that matter to you.

I am positively inclined toward the better IKEA-level stuff, since it is functional, economical, of reasonable quality, and it looks good. I have a mix of IKEA right alongside antiques, and it all looks very nice together (and is highly functional, which matters a lot to me). I have a few Amazon pieces too. The nice thing is that if I end up wanting to switch out one of those pieces with something else as my needs change, I don't have to worry about huge sunk costs or depreciation. Most of my antiques are things I picked up at auctions or estate/yard sales, which is a good way to get some higher quality without the high price.

All of which is just to say that my instinct is to go with things you like and that work for the space you're in and your day-to-day life, and spend only what you choose to.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Naw that's me - I ended up deciding I was going to rent so yeah this is a good idea I think.

A Good Decision

I've always rented, will always rent, and it's been the best decision I've made

e: hold on let me save everyone the quote

PRADA SLUT posted:

A Good Decision

I've always rented, will always rent, and it's been the best decision I've made

lol @ this avocado toast eater who lacks a backyard and roofline resembling the s&p

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
also, it's been brought to my attention that avocado toast is now a paint color

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

there wolf posted:

Interior actually looks like this

Honestly, the biggest crime in that bathroom is that it’s carpeted.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

MetaJew posted:

So I've seen this home a few times, but there's no good way to see the back yard. From the front it looks like some Ex Machina sex dungeon:

It turns out there are some big windows and Eames chairs, but it's still mostly ugly.

drat, the exterior reminds me of my junior high school. A Brutalist gem, imo

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I found a (insanely overpriced) Sears kit house that's in fantastic shape.
The original floor plan, the Ashmore.

The house for sale looks like it has the pergola glassed in, an additional dining area/sunroom added where the rear porch was, the two back bedrooms turned into one large master suite with a master bath built on the rear, and the attic finished with an additional bedroom and bathroom.

I would like to thank these people for not painting over the fireplace brick

Built-in buffet is still there along with all the molding

Kitchen is beautifully modernized (and not blinding white/gray!), though I wish they kept the Pullman alcove.

The master bath addition appears to have been built not long after the original structure, it might have even been built along with the house in 1930.

It matches the original bath

And the upper level bath

It's gorgeous, but I don't think it's $1.9 million in Charlottesville, VA gorgeous.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 5, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If someone had the original Sears kit house materials, that had been picked up from the railroad depot and stored in a climate‐controlled warehouse for a century, how much do you suppose it would sell for at the right auction?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
love how a house from a loving magazine kit is higher quality and more sensible looking that 90% of suburban neighborhood developments of the past 30 years

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've never been a fan of bathtub showers, but I love everything else about that home.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

If someone had the original Sears kit house materials, that had been picked up from the railroad depot and stored in a climate‐controlled warehouse for a century, how much do you suppose it would sell for at the right auction?

most of it wouldn't be worth much for being outdated, the framing lumber is cheap meh, toss out the wallpaper, piping, shingles etc. the most valuable bits would be the millwork and built-ins

assuming someone just found a sears house kit in the back room or something, finding someone to put it all together would be more of a pain in the rear end. probably your best bet would be to call a television show and see if they'd be willing to get some local craft renovation firm to do it at cost in exchange for filming the process - it would make a good HGTV special

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

luxury handset posted:

most of it wouldn't be worth much for being outdated, the framing lumber is cheap meh, toss out the wallpaper, piping, shingles etc. the most valuable bits would be the millwork and built-ins

assuming someone just found a sears house kit in the back room or something, finding someone to put it all together would be more of a pain in the rear end. probably your best bet would be to call a television show and see if they'd be willing to get some local craft renovation firm to do it at cost in exchange for filming the process - it would make a good HGTV special

I would watch the "This Old House" series on assembling a Sears home.

Edit: But then again I watched the entire Larry Haun's "The Efficient Carpenter" series a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4OmW37loVo

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 5, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

MetaJew posted:

There's a house like that in Vancouver, but uglier and for about ten times that price.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've never been a fan of bathtub showers, but I love everything else about that home.

Ok sell me on having double the floor space and plumbing used for essentially redundant purposes

Seriously, not joking, what's the benefit that outweighs those downsides? I've never experienced it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Bloop posted:

Ok sell me on having double the floor space and plumbing used for essentially redundant purposes

Seriously, not joking, what's the benefit that outweighs those downsides? I've never experienced it

Bathtub showers generally mean compromising on the 'shower' part. For example, most bathtub showers have a curtain at best, rather than solid shower walls plus a door, which doesn't work as well to keep water where it's supposed to be. Also a bathtub by necessity has raised sides, which you have to climb over to get into, vs stepping easily into a shower (maybe not hugely relevant in your youth, but when you get old you'll wish you had a properly accessible shower). Standing in a bathtub is also more of a slipping hazard than in a shower stall. Cleaning a bathtub is also arguably more work.

Personally I'd rather just not have a bathtub and just have a nice shower if space or plumbing is a concern.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I used to have a master bath with a corner tub/shower combo. The tub was so big that you didn’t need a shower curtain. It felt weird at first, but after a while I definitely preferred not being in an enclosed space to shower.

Also, put me firmly in the “large shower > separate shower/tub > combo shower/tub camp.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We got a tub and I'm not that sold on it, separate and shoved into our sauna. What I would like most of all is a shower cabinet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Lord Bude posted:

Bathtub showers generally mean compromising on the 'shower' part. For example, most bathtub showers have a curtain at best, rather than solid shower walls plus a door, which doesn't work as well to keep water where it's supposed to be. Also a bathtub by necessity has raised sides, which you have to climb over to get into, vs stepping easily into a shower (maybe not hugely relevant in your youth, but when you get old you'll wish you had a properly accessible shower). Standing in a bathtub is also more of a slipping hazard than in a shower stall. Cleaning a bathtub is also arguably more work.

Personally I'd rather just not have a bathtub and just have a nice shower if space or plumbing is a concern.

Pretty much my thoughts, too.

I'm tall and have wide shoulders and long arms, like a gorilla, but more hair. Turning around in a bathtub shower means touching the cold walls with my shoulders and feels claustrophobic as hell. I want to at least be able to stand arms akimbo and have my elbows not touch anything.

Also, having been in a pretty bad car accident as a young man, some days my knees really do not want to be stepping over a high lipped tub. And old injuries and slippery bath surfaces do not go together, either.

That said, in my last house I had a shower which consisted of half the bathroom separated by a glass panel and a deep soaking tub which was just incredible. I just would never want to be in a position where I had to clamber into it every day.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Bloop posted:

Not double if you just don't have a bathtub at all anywhere. I can't fit in the drat thing and it always feels like a huge waste of water, super glad the house I just bought has a huge shower and no tub.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I wish I could replace my bath/shower with just a shower, but i know that will kill resale, even if its a nice remodel.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

toplitzin posted:

I wish I could replace my bath/shower with just a shower, but i know that will kill resale, even if its a nice remodel.

My current bathroom has one of those massive jacuzzi type tubs that is leaky and stupid huge. It sits in a 4'x8' pocket, and then the shower is a dinky 2'4"x 3'6".
My plan is to swap them.

I think keeping the tub is dumb, but I'm in the same boat as you. Even though technically I don't care about resale because I really don't ever want to move again, it's awful.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 5, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mines just a small rear end bathroom in an older house:

The "master" bath is just a half bath attached to a bedroom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

My late wife and I put in a fiberglass whirlpool tub with shower, and by 'put in', I mean we installed the whole bathroom. And when I need a bath my :corsair: old rear end loves it. The tub surface is textured, not slippery. Shower curtain pfft, can a grownup not deal with that? Only thing that pissed me off installing it was after we leveled it on the recommended 3 bags of sackrete platform, drat thing shifted a half inch out of level. And boy, predictably enough, the tile shows it.