Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Serephina posted:

Haha that's great. There's so many different builds you can lean into that doing things the "right way" is sometimes totally unneeded. For the Artemis crit booster perk; does it boost additvely or multiplicitavely? It really hard to tell how the math works when stacking sometimes (such as with the various reduced dmg perks). Ie, does +20% crit dmg make them do 320%, or 360%? I've never had much luck with crits and just use Artemis for her crazy Cast boosts

It was hard to tell because I got it after I got the uninterrupted hit upgrade and everything was already dying so fast, but I think it was multiplicative? I'm not sure if it was applying before or after the crit multiplier either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
A buddy of mine put out a pretty lengthy demo for his turn-based RPG roguelite, Bonfire: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1067580/Bonfire/
It's good! Took me 2 hours and 40 minutes to beat it according to the end of demo screen, and I was sad I had to stop playing it.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Been keeping tabs on Bonfire for a good many years---all signs point strongly to excellence.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bonfire store page posted:

The rapid turn-based battle system drops menu navigation in favor of contextual abilities and tactical item use. Each click is a move, each move is significant, and each encounter is a puzzle to solve.

Is this going to be mouse-only like Slay the Spire was, or can you play it with the keyboard?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

Is this going to be mouse-only like Slay the Spire was, or can you play it with the keyboard?

Can you not use keyboard with StS? Gamepad is supported on StS so I don't see why keyboard couldn't be.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Chin Strap posted:

Can you not use keyboard with StS? Gamepad is supported on StS so I don't see why keyboard couldn't be.

Numbers for cards, I forget if you can target enemies with keyboard

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
After bouncing off Streets of Rogue pretty hard on PC, I got it on switch on a whim and am enjoying it so much more. I think it's just using a controller, which I never thought to do on pc but like so much more.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

Keyboard is supported in theory, but in practice (a) there's a bunch of intermission screens that are mouse-only and (b) even if the mouse is physically disconnected from the computer it will regularly snap the cursor to wherever it thinks the mouse is, completely loving you up if you're using the keyboard, especially if it does it just before you hit enter.

The fact that it apparently supports gamepads just makes this more confusing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mithross posted:

After bouncing off Streets of Rogue pretty hard on PC, I got it on switch on a whim and am enjoying it so much more. I think it's just using a controller, which I never thought to do on pc but like so much more.

Yeah it works best as a twin-stick arcade game, IMO. Everything about it just feels a little better with a controller.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah it works best as a twin-stick arcade game, IMO. Everything about it just feels a little better with a controller.

Honestly that’s how I felt about Diablo 3. Kept bouncing off of it on PC, but it was super fun on switch.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Bonfire trip report:

Well gently caress me

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
According to alstats.nl, my rarest achievement is from Barony, where a Succubus charmed something off of me and I killed her and took it back.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Mithross posted:

Angry Diplomat posted:

Haha, this may be just my PC gaming background, but playing games like Streets of Rogue, Nuclear Throne or Enter the Gungeon with a gamepad would make me declare them hosed up garbage games ruined by poor controls. WASD + mouse works fantastic.

You will always be weirdos in my world. :cheeky:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Haha, this may be just my PC gaming background, but playing games like Streets of Rogue, Nuclear Throne or Enter the Gungeon with a gamepad would make me declare them hosed up garbage games ruined by poor controls. WASD + mouse works fantastic.

You will always be weirdos in my world. :cheeky:

Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon are both kb+m games for me thank you very much. Streets of Rogue isn't quite the same intensity and for whatever reason just feels better to me on a gamepad.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It's the floaty controls, arcade-style gameplay, and unpredictable action. SoR is not an accuracy-heavy twitch game; you're often better off spraying a few shots in an opponent's direction while hurrying to cover than you are carefully lining up a shot.

And melee is just a clusterfuck (in a good way). I don't even want to imagine trying to track cursor position in a complicated melee brawl. It's easier to just lean in the general direction you want to punch at and mash the violence button.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Good news: Dungeonmans runs in proton (Steam's builtin fork of Wine) now
Bad news: every time it goes to the main menu it reports that all the save files are corrupted, so you have to beat the entire game in one sitting

Anyone ITT (madjack?) know how Dungeonmans does corruption checks?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Enter the Gungeon is way easier with a controller, IMO. You need to dodge the bullets, and having analog controls is a much better option for it than having four directions.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm much much better at dodging bullets on keyboard, which is probably largely due to playing bullet hells on that since the start. But also I think making individual taps on arrow keys/wasd is a really good way to do small incremental dodges.

not as actually relevant in gungeon since it doesn't have that many situations where you wanna micrododge instead of macrododge tho

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

IronicDongz posted:

I'm much much better at dodging bullets on keyboard, which is probably largely due to playing bullet hells on that since the start. But also I think making individual taps on arrow keys/wasd is a really good way to do small incremental dodges.

not as actually relevant in gungeon since it doesn't have that many situations where you wanna micrododge instead of macrododge tho

Yeah maybe an arcade stick would be the perfect ideal but for really tight bullet hell stuff I prefer keyboard to a controller. Gungeon isn't really something that requires an insane degree of precision though and dodging is more about planning and timing , and I didn't mind playing it on a controller

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Bad news: every time it goes to the main menu it reports that all the save files are corrupted, so you have to beat the entire game in one sitting

Sounds even more roguelike than normal

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011
Anyone looking at Stoneshard releasing in a couple of days?
They have a prologue/demo out - wondering if its worth my time?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

John Lee posted:

Enter the Gungeon is way easier with a controller, IMO. You need to dodge the bullets, and having analog controls is a much better option for it than having four directions.

Agreed. I 100% everything in Enter the Gungeon on PS4. Nuclear Throne on the other hand, I can barely hit anything with a controller. It's crazy how aim assist can change an entire game.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Shadski posted:

Demo definitely scratched an itch for me. Little worried about if it loses focus with the open world.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
How's "Door in the Woods"? You've gotta have some snazzy looking ASCII to excite me, and this sure looks like it does. It also happens to be on sale.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Shadski posted:

Definitely looking at Stoneshard. I enjoyed the Demo, the art and the good quality "roguelikeness" of the levels that were procedurally generated. I'm excited about a potential craft system; and the injury system that is already in place.

Edit: Speaking of Stoneshard, here is their Roadmap.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 4, 2020

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

ToxicFrog posted:

Thank you for doing this work!

It happens when there's any error in the load hero routine, including the ones that scan them for info to display on the menu.

I can get you a build with that turned off so we can see exactly what fuckery is going on, and maybe I can work around it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So in Hades, you know the Dual Boon rooms where you have to pick one god over another and piss the 2nd choice off? Well, I've known for a while now that if you have a Call Power of the wrathful god in question, Zag says stuff like "Well, this is awkward" and "sorry!" when you fire it. Today I just learned that if you build the meter up to max, the sound bite of the summoned god is of them being pissy. Like, I got a full screen shot of Athena and voiceover of "I'm still upset at you!" - almost got me killed from laughing so hard

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Serephina posted:

So in Hades, you know the Dual Boon rooms where you have to pick one god over another and piss the 2nd choice off? Well, I've known for a while now that if you have a Call Power of the wrathful god in question, Zag says stuff like "Well, this is awkward" and "sorry!" when you fire it. Today I just learned that if you build the meter up to max, the sound bite of the summoned god is of them being pissy. Like, I got a full screen shot of Athena and voiceover of "I'm still upset at you!" - almost got me killed from laughing so hard

thats been in for a while but i love the touches that games has to everything

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

Thank you for doing this work!

It happens when there's any error in the load hero routine, including the ones that scan them for info to display on the menu.

I can get you a build with that turned off so we can see exactly what fuckery is going on, and maybe I can work around it.

That would be great, although I probably won't have time to look at it until next week at the earliest.

I can also get you an strace of exactly what files it's writing/reading and perhaps even what data is being read/written, along with the contents of the save files in question, if that helps.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

Holy poo poo that's great

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Why is this thread not apeshit all over Battle Brothers?

Permanent death, procedurally generated worlds/mans/battles, hunger mechanics, deep combat/skills/economy/systems... Low-fantasy Warhammer lite setting... It scratches all the itches except ASCII

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

tentacles posted:

Permanent death, procedurally generated worlds/mans/battles, hunger mechanics, deep combat/skills/economy/systems... Low-fantasy Warhammer lite setting... It scratches all the itches except ASCII

Because it's not a roguelike?

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Because it's not a roguelike?

I'll do you one better

Why is a roguelike

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

like if it's a roguelike so is X-COM i guess

Don't get me wrong I love Battle Brothers, put over a hundred hours into it, but it doesn't belong in this thread imho

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Its definitely more of an xcom-like than a roguelike. Not a bad thing either, it's a fantastic game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I mean, in fairness, XCom played in Ironman arguably hits quite a few of the common roguelike criteria. But it has animations and you can opt out of permadeath (and enable savescumming) with a simple checkbox at the start of a new campaign, both of which tend to make the purists a little prickly :v:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Technically, it's only called that when it's from the Roguelike region of France. Otherwise it's just a sparkling death labyrinth.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

megane posted:

Technically, it's only called that when it's from the Roguelike region of France. Otherwise it's just a sparkling death labyrinth.

rename thread to Rougelikes or the original term comme des Rouges

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

tentacles posted:

And having a shorter playtime. Like Ironman XCom, it is very difficult to beat a game in a single day, and that makes it not conducive to permadeath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I loving love Battle Brothers. I just got the Greenskin achievement yesterday.

But I wouldn't consider it a roguelike, despite its several procedural elements. It is more like Dark Ages XCOM.