Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno Zimmy, Some Guy allegedly proved some pretty hard to un-prove things whether we can see em or not...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
It all makes sense now.

Isaac Newton is the Robot King!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CJacobs posted:

I dunno Zimmy, Some Guy allegedly proved some pretty hard to un-prove things whether we can see em or not...
I dunno, Loup pretty conclusively showed that guy to be full of poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Splicer posted:

I dunno, Loup pretty conclusively showed that guy to be full of poo poo.

Jones was probably the one that dropped the apple on some guy's head in the first place.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to see it is it magic

The answer may surprise you

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If trees are involved it's magic

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Kind of sad some guy doesn't look like Gotlib's Newton.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kantesu posted:

So just this, then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-VHe_4GmE

Except they're all Coyote?

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I posted that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
When everyone left in a hurry, the only thing they left behind was a copy of The God Delusion.

which Zimmy didn't read because she isn't a loving nerd, magic is just bullshit

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Samuringa posted:

When everyone left in a hurry, the only thing they left behind was a copy of The God Delusion.

Nah, it was an article on the Michelson–Morley experiment.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cat Mattress posted:

Kind of sad some guy doesn't look like Gotlib's Newton.

Didn't expect a Rubrique-a-Brac ref here.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Where Zimmy's going, we won't need eyes to see.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Zimmy can see the gutters of the comic, can't she?

Or maybe the HTML of the website like Neo!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Semantics.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i read zimmy's dialogue in a chain-smoker voice in my head

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
zimmy sounds like she's got knives in her throat and probably does

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm not fond of this comic's seeming definition of science sometimes, to be honest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"And boy just wait till you hear about that santa claus guy!!"

MikeJF posted:

I'm not fond of this comic's seeming definition of science sometimes, to be honest.

Yeah I agree sorta.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
It's really just an inverse of that old Arthur C. Clarke line, saying that magic and ether and all that is just a form of energy and/or matter that hasn't been sufficiently analyzed.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I mean I feel like that's sorta where Zimmy's going. Science is just working out how the works. Defining poo poo that absolutely exists as nonscientific magic just because it breaks all the rules and you can't directly observe it is kind of horseshit. But it makes sense that magic people would go along with it when their main exposure to science is The Courts science cult.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This could go a couple of ways. One not terrible way would be that she's saying that the court shoves a lot of observable, testable, repeatable phenomena into the category of "eh, it's magic" instead of properly scienceing at it, which is legitimately bad science. The use of Isaac Newton in that category of scientist is a bad fit because it implies he was a bad scientist, and also because he was super religious and believed the heck out of things he couldn't see.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Have we seen a Court adult, even once, refer to magic?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Have we seen a Court adult, even once, refer to magic?

Anja explains the Court position. With further explanation here.

The Court views "magic" as etheric science, a legitimate pursuit. But rejects technology that doesn't have an explanation.

The way it shakes out to me is that there is a clear gap between what can be explained through traditional science and how the ether works, and while the latter can be studied it can't be - or at least hasn't been - reduced to a pure rational theory.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 5, 2020

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Anja explain's the Court position. With further explanation here.

The Court views "magic" as etheric science, a legitimate pursuit. But rejects technology that doesn't have an explanation.

Holy crap the second link! Last three panels is Kat deciding to become a Techno-god.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Donkringel posted:

Holy crap the second link! Last three panels is Kat deciding to become a Techno-god.

Yeah that jumped out at me too, like "Oh, that was the moment when..."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tenebrais posted:

Anja explain's the Court position. With further explanation here.

The way it shakes out to me is that there is a clear gap between what can be explained through traditional science and how the ether works, and while the latter can be studied it can't be - or at least hasn't been - reduced to a pure rational theory.

Even if you can't understand it theoretically, not using the ether because of that is really poor science. Real scientists take advantage of things they don't understand all the time.

The comic has this really weird definition of science behind it which comes off poorly. I'd love to ask the author about it sometime.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=517

If the animated series actually happens, I hope they will keep this exact dialogue in the last row here.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

Even if you can't understand it theoretically, not using the ether because of that is really poor science. Real scientists take advantage of things they don't understand all the time.

The comic has this really weird definition of science behind it which comes off poorly. I'd love to ask the author about it sometime.

I mean I don't think it's the comic/Tom's sincere position. I think it's meant to be a bad definition and one of the things hosed up about the Court culture wise.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Besides, for once having a story where the researchers do not mess with poo poo well beyond their ken instead of going full DOOM on it is not bad.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cat Mattress posted:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=517

If the animated series actually happens, I hope they will keep this exact dialogue in the last row here.

Same but: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=995

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
This, especially the last panels remains my favourite page.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think 'science' as it appears and is referred to in the comic has always been a distinct thing from real life science and shouldn't be mistaken for it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Also good to keep in mind that the scientist that is available for most of the history is literally unable to perceive supernatural occurences.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
She Blinded Me With To Science

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Also good to keep in mind that the scientist that is available for most of the history is literally unable to perceive supernatural occurences.

Honestly, the way Kat sees ether stuff kind of seems to confirm what Zimmy's saying. She tends to see things as what they do, rather than what they present themselves as. It's less that she can't see ether stuff as she forces it to be something understandable, despite its own best efforts.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

I've just realized that Annie isn't merely being naive here; since she's been raised in a hospital, and by Tony specifically, she probably doesn't have much concept of things not being done in a very sterile way.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the stone, animated in real (reverse) time

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Iceclaw posted:

Besides, for once having a story where the researchers do not mess with poo poo well beyond their ken instead of going full DOOM on it is not bad.
I mean, I get a bad feeling about those ether stations. Whatever they're doing is also apparently tied to some secret weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Don't worry Annie, I've been working on an invention that'll get rid of that pesky Loup!"

"That's great, Kat, what is it?"

"Oh it's nothing special."