Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
The EULA poo poo is definitely because they are salty about not giving a poo poo about DotA until it became a loving monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Frustrated posted:

If they had truly wanted to update and "reforge' the game they would have done it in the SC2/HotS engine and used a lot of the HotS assets and Warcraft map tiles they already made for that game. Then we could have also had a non garbage ui, functional multiplayer with a ranked system already baked in, and in game cut scenes that actually look good. The sc2 engine is great at doing cut scenes that would have fit the WC3 story really well.

Except that would invalidate any and all Warcraft 3 custom maps and campaigns, and while people could just play them in Classic, a big part of the appeal of the remaster is being able to play the goofy customs you once played on Battle.net with shiny graphics.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Horizon Burning posted:

Except that would invalidate any and all Warcraft 3 custom maps and campaigns, and while people could just play them in Classic, a big part of the appeal of the remaster is being able to play the goofy customs you once played on Battle.net with shiny graphics.

Except that happened anyway :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

There's not enough good tower defence games out there, warcraft 3 had so many good ones, gone now like dust in the wind

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

tithin posted:

There's not enough good tower defence games out there, warcraft 3 had so many good ones, gone now like dust in the wind

What kind of TDs do you like? I got into Digimon TD lately, which from what I understand is an off-shoot of Poker TD (that I haven't played). That one is a lot of fun, and there are still the old classics.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Horizon Burning posted:

In this scenario, you can easily rebuild them since they won't have been entirely destroyed by Blizzard in the original game.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

SoundwaveAU posted:

What kind of TDs do you like? I got into Digimon TD lately, which from what I understand is an off-shoot of Poker TD (that I haven't played). That one is a lot of fun, and there are still the old classics.

Wintermaul is king

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

SoundwaveAU posted:

Element and Gem.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elephunk posted:

Wintermaul is king

Wintermaul, NOT Wintermaul wars.

And NOT the Wintermaul that didn’t have spawns for everyone.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

jokes posted:

I was playing Wintermaul last year and they put out some new version with pre-made mazes shaded into the terrain for people to build on top of, that was kinda weak IMO

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elephunk posted:

I was playing Wintermaul last year and they put out some new version with pre-made mazes shaded into the terrain for people to build on top of, that was kinda weak IMO

Oh yikes no thanks.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I have no idea how legit these pictures are, but 'big yikes', and kinda funny in a "you not have phones?" disaster kind of way. (maybe the same phone dev guy is doing CS now as part time?)

A Blizzard's response to someone whose computer is too weak for Reforged.

Customer service, before they allowed instant refunds... (Did you not get a RTS game?)

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Went to play a little more of the campaign and I got chucked into the login queue while the menu new screen sound effect looped the entire time. Why the gently caress is there even an online component before you go to play multiplayer???

Because metrics. Can't leave all that valuable data on the table!

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Im_Special posted:

I have no idea how legit these pictures are, but 'big yikes', and kinda funny in a "you not have phones?" disaster kind of way. (maybe the same phone dev guy is doing CS now as part time?)

A Blizzard's response to someone whose computer is too weak for Reforged.

Customer service, before they allowed instant refunds... (Did you not get a RTS game?)

Next ticket, just link that ticket and ask to speak to a team lead.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

jokes posted:

Lord you are making me remember how hosed the middle people were in the old Wintermaul maps. Trying to get by with interest and the leaked units of the top groups

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

finished the campaign

two things:

1) lol sammy isn't listed despite being one of the parents of warcraft
2) bobby kotick...................................................................................

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CyberPingu posted:

The EULA poo poo is definitely because they are salty about not giving a poo poo about DotA until it became a loving monster.

Which is entirely their own fault, lol

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Here's what really gets me, though. During the credits, after the incredibly lovely and phoned-in Power of the Horde music video, they start doing an art slideshow.

Wow, those sure are some good looking Night Elves! But wait, what do they look like in-game, poses nonwithstanding?

Hm.

And I know part of it is the screenshot being pre-rendered, so everything is touched up and arranged just so so that it looks as good as possible - I've done plenty of pre-rendered screenshots before. But it blows my loving mind that they didn't test these and say, hey, maybe we should add some pre-rendered shadows to the textures and maybe boost the contrast a bit so in-game stuff looks closer to the promo stuff we've released.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kith posted:

Apparently he's listed in the "Blizzard Family" section of the credits, adrift in a sea of names. Presumably because's he's off doing HOTS or something and didn't touch this version.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Kins posted:

Apparently he's listed in the "Blizzard Family" section of the credits, adrift in a sea of names. Presumably because's he's off doing HOTS or something and didn't touch this version.

I don't buy that reasoning because

1) Morhaime and Metzen had effectively nothing to do with Reforged beyond their old work being re-used and got put on Special Thanks anyways
2) If "made use of old work" is enough to get on Special Thanks, then Didier should've gotten in by default because a lot of the old art displayed in the credits is his
3) There wouldn't be a Warcraft as we know it without Samwise Didier

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Reforged broke support for dinnerbot, 0/10

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I always liked Doodad Defence and Elemental TD, as far as TDs go.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So much for a ladder this week. Or tournaments ever (no one played... so you didn't want it? ignore that team play was made 3/4 of them unplayable for years).

Seems like they might get matchmaking working eventually and some reforged graphic fixes and that'll be it. Maybe 1 or 2 classic shadows added.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

So much for a ladder this week.

The statement put out on Monday makes it sound like ladder is very far away. The "we'll update you on progress in the coming weeks" is Blizzard speech for we haven't even started working on it yet... Game will be dead again before there is any sort of real match making put in.

This is more proof that Battle.net 2.0 is a dumpster fire and the developers don't want to put in the effort of dealing with it. SC2, SC:R, and now WC3:R have all shipped missing key multiplayer features.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/DanStapleton/status/1225254326718713856?s=20

Is it just me or is this an incredible self-own?

IGN are clowns

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Sure you could give Reforged a 7 if you think Warcraft 3 is a 7 or an 8, but then you'd be ignoring all the context, and in that case I'm not very impressed with your analysis

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

halwain posted:

How did they gently caress up unit portraits so hard :(

Jaina got some good :stare: going on but what the gently caress is going on with the Dryad

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Aces High posted:

Jaina got some good :stare: going on but what the gently caress is going on with the Dryad

chubby cheeks are cute right

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kith posted:

finished the campaign

two things:

2) bobby kotick...................................................................................

One of these guys got a $15 million 'sign up' bonus for moving from one part of the office to the other.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

IGN are clowns

It's not just you!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/warcraft-iii-version-1321-patch-notes/19379

still no ranked but we're getting close to a functional product now that players are capable of doing things such as loading into a game, viewing the stats screen, an sending private messages. Hell, they even added fog of war.

if i'm lucky i'll even manage to load into matchmaking games more than half the time now

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

little munchkin posted:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/warcraft-iii-version-1321-patch-notes/19379

still no ranked but we're getting close to a functional product now that players are capable of doing things such as loading into a game, viewing the stats screen, an sending private messages. Hell, they even added fog of war.

if i'm lucky i'll even manage to load into matchmaking games more than half the time now

It's the golden age of instant wins right now when 4v4 matches finally load and someone has already left

They need to do some sort of versus cooldown system for leaving in the first 3 mins, detect afks etc.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

IGN are clowns

Hey, it's the guy that hired Filip Miucin!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
My brother came over to use the internet and he let me play his install of War3. HOLY poo poo THERE'S SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT UNIT DEATH SOUNDS AND THAT'S WHAT TAKES UP AN EXTRA 28 GIGABYTES!!??
No changes in graphics or icons or terrain or effects, just marginally less cartoony unit death sounds.

gently caress YOU, BLIZZARD!!

Also 4v4 is hosed, it was only ever him and MAYBE 2 teammates vs a full team, all three times. Someone would either be afk or leave in the first 5 seconds.

The gameplay is still good, though, I've missed this loving game. :unsmith:

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

the extra 28gb is from all of the reforged assets being included in the classic client regardless of whether you can use them because releasing two separate builds is an engineering/logistics challenge and that just doesn't align with blizzard company culture any more

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i have a feeling that it was a deliberate choice to have the credits include didier's centaur concept art that came with the culture study notes about how they're all inbred

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
"Mongoloid" :thunk:

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://www.warcraft3refunded.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

wow, they actually put out a patch