Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Plus the first time Sony had no real competition was the PS1 and that led to the PS2 which is one of the greatest consoles. Not all competition is good. Someone else competing with Sony would be great.

Just not Microsoft.

idk the current Microsoft doesn't really seem any worse as a company than Sony to me

(aside from having a way shittier console obviously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

StrixNebulosa posted:

Now trying to decide if the SNES or PS2 is the best console of all time and this might have to end in a tie.

lmao how could anyone say the SNES had a better library than the PS2?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gripweed posted:

Super Metroid was p good

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been playing Obra Dinn. Interesting game. It's like a logic puzzle. Not sure what genre I would put it in. I like it other than some of the janky mechanics. I don't see why I should have to backtrack to every body to look at a memory again. Once I've unlocked them, I should be able to do it all from the journal. Unless there is a way to do it. The game doesn't do a very good job of explaining how to play itself.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The best console of all time is the DS imo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gripweed posted:

Bahamut Lagoon, baby

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RBA Starblade posted:

Super Metroid was p good

yeah the SNES had good games, but the sheer number and variety of good games on the PS2 absolutely blow it out of the water.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

oh hey look at that someone bought a Stadia smilie

:stadia:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

didn't they announce they're remaking seiken densetsu 3 and slapping it out there

considering the secret of mana remake got mediocre to bad reviews and came with a $40 price tag it doesn't build a lot of confidence

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Waltzing Along posted:

The game [return of the obra dinn] doesn't do a very good job of explaining how to play itself.

Thank you! i got frustrated with it real quick, neat idea but the prenentation put me right off.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

didn't they announce they're remaking seiken densetsu 3 and slapping it out there

considering the secret of mana remake got mediocre to bad reviews and came with a $40 price tag it doesn't build a lot of confidence

I don't want a remake because no modern graphics can outshine its sprites. Easily the peak of that artform.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Andrast posted:

The best console of all time is the DS imo

Yeah DS vs PS2 is an actual contest. They both had insanely broad and deep libraries.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fartorm

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Thank you! i got frustrated with it real quick, neat idea but the prenentation put me right off.

I think it is sort of worth it if you get through enough to understand what is happening. I haven't decided other than I want to see if I can finish.

But essentially, when you start, you just want to find every body on the ship by bouncing from memory to memory. Until that is done, the game hasn't really begun. It's not even a game before then. It's just ... something.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I need objective evidence to prove what the best console ever is. The most objective of facts. Show your work.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

I need objective evidence to prove what the best console ever is. The most objective of facts. Show your work.

The DS has picross on it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Andrast posted:

The DS has picross on it

The 3ds has the DS on it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I want to throw a bone to the Famicom/NES for Best Console Ever because it saved videogames in the 80's

feels like we would be a decade behind without it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Xbox One X Series Xbox X is the best one, because it's just a computer

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

I want to throw a bone to the Famicom/NES for Best Console Ever because it saved videogames in the 80's

Are you sure that doesn't make it the worst console?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Monkey Fracas posted:

feels like we would be a decade behind without it

it only saved them in america they were doing fine everywhere else

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stux posted:

It did it by tricking Americans too

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
In truth Lawbreakers spent ninety percent of its budget by getting the Rick and Morty guy to voice their ball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o13N08SRvho

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I GOT HIRED FOR A MORTGAGE INTERNSHIP!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Obra Dinn is something where you kind of have to know the right mindset the game expects of you to solve the puzzles. Like it does kind of expect you to make more "real world-y" inferences based on cultural knowledge like dress/accent/role than you might expect if you're going in expecting a pure grid-logic puzzle.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't see why I should have to backtrack to every body to look at a memory again. Once I've unlocked them, I should be able to do it all from the journal. Unless there is a way to do it. The game doesn't do a very good job of explaining how to play itself.

The live dioramas can contain information that the journal doesn't. Sometimes you need context to make a deduction- who is associating with who, who's standing where and what are they doing, what objects or articles of clothing do they possess. The scenes can also inform other scenes through stuff happening in the background that isn't directly related to the death the scene is centered on, make sure you're exploring the whole navigable area.

I do wish it was more convenient to get to the memories buried several layers deep, there should probably have been a journal feature that let you jump straight into them.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 5, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's impossible to say what would have happened if the NES didn't get big but I figure it'd be like Europe where most gaming would have been on computers (Amiga/Atari ST/PC) for one more generation before everyone switched to the Mega Drive the following generation.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

feel like the Famicom was a big unifying force that had a previously unseen install base compared to other systems/computers though

even if yeah it was mostly the US market that was turned off of home videogames due to all the garbage that came out previously

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

did you know that "famicom" is a portmanteau of "family" and "commode"

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
A world where European games became the norm and standard from the mid-80's onward.

Isometric setting everywhere. Not to mention the jank. The Euro-jank.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

How many thread derails happen every day on SA because of arguments about bbq or hot dogs

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

did you know that "famicom" is a portmanteau of "family" and "commode"

actually did you know that in Japan... something something... dookie dookie panic

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I did like the few instances in Obra Dinn where you could conclusively identify people before they became unblurred (not sure if this was unintended)

One of the ship's mates can be identified by process-of-elimination once all the others have been identified, as the last person in Officer's dress without a name (the earliest you can do this is the end of the "Murder" chapter)
Both the Carpenter and Carpenter's Mate can be identified earlier than you're "supposed" to as they're the only Americans (and speak with American accents) on the ship, and one calls the other one "boss" in a scene

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
but also lmao that talking about politics or the fast food companies themselves is against the rules

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Obra Dinn is something where you kind of have to know the right mindset the game expects of you to solve the puzzles. Like it does kind of expect you to make more "real world-y" inferences based on cultural knowledge like dress/accent/role than you might expect if you're going in expecting a pure grid-logic puzzle.

I can see that. I've got 9 fates done and feel like I am getting close to having to make educated guesses on a lot of stuff.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

A world where European games became the norm and standard from the mid-80's onward.

Isometric setting everywhere. Not to mention the jank. The Euro-jank.

Eurojank rules so that would be great

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

remember how bigoted assholes tommy tallarico and doug tennapel and a bunch of other earthworm jim/shiny crewmembers are attempting to relaunch a new generation intellivision

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

actually did you know that in Japan... something something... dookie dookie panic

:hmmyes:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm imagining if Brigador and STALKER had a baby and omggggg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waltzing Along posted:

I can see that. I've got 9 fates done and feel like I am getting close to having to make educated guesses on a lot of stuff.

Yup. Basically everything is fair game, from appearance, to nationality, to dress, to where they're standing in relation to other characters etc.

One more thing: The game is fair, and though there are a few tricky points where you have to put the timeline together, there aren't any instances of outright deception- i.e. nobody is going to start impersonating another character or anything like that, a Chinese sailor isn't going to start speaking in French in a scene, etc

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 5, 2020