Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Rodatose posted:

they thought through everything about voting except the voting

Bugfix: working as intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Lightning Knight posted:

is there something wrong with this? this seems good?

quiet rooms: $15000
free pizza: $974800
lactation room: $30985
counting votes: $0
chairs: $100000000

somebody please help me budget this my caucus is dying

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Lightning Knight posted:

It's from Des Moines, right?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

we’re all red and mad but who amongst us has the courage to be nude

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Bernie should pretend to believe this and begrudgingly support locking up Pelosi

+Gets an awful lib out of the picture
+Appeals to trump voters
+Boosts his law and order cred which could get some high posting energy k-hivers on board

-Nothing

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Harrow posted:

If we give the Democrats the maximum benefit of the doubt--if we assume good will all the way to their core, even though we know that to be false--the absolute best case scenario is that they have utterly failed to stop the country from being steadily dragged to the right, straight into fascism.

So, vote republican?
Your political system does not allow another choice really.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
owns
https://twitter.com/WardDPatrick/status/1225093224747892736?s=19

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nix Panicus posted:

Gay rights were won entirely through the court system by a tireless coalition of plaintiffs and lawyers. The most the Democrats have pretty much ever done on that front was to decline to argue on behalf of DOMA (which was a Clinton law he argued was necessary to stop a constitutional amendment nobody was pushing) in court.

The Democrats are a waste. Their civil rights victories in the last decades mostly consist of taking credit for someone else's work, or a half rear end executive program that can be torn apart in seconds because they just couldnt find the political will to *do* anything

The log cabin Republicans did more to end doda than anyone else by fighting nonstop in court until Obama ended it just before the court ruling so republicans couldnt take credit for it as easily

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:thurman:

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Harrow posted:

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1225089401119760387?s=20

If we give the Democrats the maximum benefit of the doubt--if we assume good will all the way to their core, even though we know that to be false--the absolute best case scenario is that they have utterly failed to stop the country from being steadily dragged to the right, straight into fascism.

And this is, of course, giving them the largest possible benefit of the doubt. There are a lot of interpretations that look a lot worse than that.

https://twitter.com/PamKeithFL/status/1225092786317418496?s=20

big brains on displaaaaayy

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Dreylad posted:

To give you an idea of how other countries' party leadership conventions can go sideways: in 2017 the Conservative Party of Canada went about selecting a new leader after Stephen Harper resigned. The Conservatives rented a convention centre in northern Toronto for the event.

It also happened to be on the same weekend that some giant North American anime expo was going on next door. Supporters of the runner up, Maxime Bernier an extremely right-wing rear end in a top hat, complained they couldn't get to the convention to vote in time because the hallways were filled with anime cosplayers.

The winner, Andrew Scheer, preceded to lose the next federal election to noted idiot Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, a guy who had done blackface so often - in the 21st century - that he couldn't remembered the number of times he had applied black makeup.

Will always find it hilarious that the only reason Canada didn't go fash was because of the weebs

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
stfu pam you dumb bimbo

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

lol letting the GOP abandon fair elections..

i think the Dems are abandoning that concept just fine on their own

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Because there's no material difference between fighting ineffectively and just giving it to them you loving git

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Getting some real JEB! energy (or lack thereof) from Pelosi here

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

jimmyjams posted:

lol imagine if in 2000 they just counted 71%of the votes and went "welp, i guess bush won, we'll count and release the rest of the votes later, like probably after january 20th or something"

but thats what happened

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

he hasn't tweeted in 12 hours, best to assume that both he and the ballots are at the bottom of a lake somewhere

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/jakelahut/status/1225071839464116231?s=21

lol

quote:

No auditing system or automatic recount margins are in place, leaving a statewide recount as the only remedy.

A statewide hand recount could take around three weeks, and even went as far as five weeks among fringe candidates in 2008.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dante80 posted:

So, vote republican?

I wasn't really calling for an action either way. Our political system is utterly broken and we have no good choices.

We either nominate Bernie Sanders or we're just going to continue either a slow march to fascism (standard Democrat in office, who accomplishes little before losing big to the Republicans again) or a fast one (second Trump term, likely accompanied by Republicans retaking the House). Either way it's a bad situation.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Don Pigeon posted:

Bernie will run as third-party and will win.
Bernie will win, but he would not run as a third-party candidate, and a third-party candidate would not win (in 2020).

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Lol so we are on track for this to happen yet again

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

you ARE handing over the country to fascism on a silver platter, you stupid fuckin lib

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Harrow posted:

I wasn't really calling for an action either way. Our political system is utterly broken and we have no good choices.

We either nominate Bernie Sanders or we're just going to continue either a slow march to fascism (standard Democrat in office, who accomplishes little before losing big to the Republicans again) or a fast one (second Trump term, likely accompanied by Republicans retaking the House). Either way it's a bad situation.

Yeah I know, it was rhetorical. The truth of the matter is, the whole drat thing is stacked against you. From start to finish, birth to funeral.
The only choice is to fight.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Dante80 posted:

So, vote republican?

Participate in primaries to get more leftists, and don't vote for Dems at the presidential level

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It would be cool if the dems tried to show any sort of guile and tradecraft towards the gop but I forgot that that would get in the way of making GBS threads on the left and working people of the country.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Dolphin posted:

Hillary won 6/6 coin tosses.

this is not true, there were a lot of hot takes because some outfit like the Des Moines Register initially reported her winning something like that and everyone lost their poo poo, but the source for the original count was, I’m not kidding, counting tweets about it. the original article was a “look at our quaint little process” article, not something speaking authoritatively to report what happened.

the quiet follow up once the local paper realized everyone was paying attention was ignored, because they’d already shat out their thinkpieces and nobody wanted to look dumb and pull articles or print retractions.

eviltastic has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Feb 5, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not too worried about this one. Bernie's margin is big enough in New Hampshire that fuckery would be extremely obvious and a three-week recount would be worth it if that happened.

If I had to guess, the Dems are smart enough that if they're going to manipulate votes and gently caress over Bernie, they're not going to do it in NH. Everyone expects him to win there. He beat Clinton there by a huge margin in 2016. He's consistently polled very well. They can afford to just toss him those delegates and move on because it'll be easy enough to make it not really affect the narrative ("We already knew Bernie would win there, it's practically his back yard," etc.).

Basically a ratfuck in NH would be the most reckless, stupid, and useless thing and oh god drat it that means they're gonna try it

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Actually research your state and local candidates

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Lightning Knight posted:

y'know what doesn't need any of that poo poo?

regular rear end voting plus allowing people to vote via mail

gently caress iowa, gently caress caucuses, gently caress the dnc, and gently caress america

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

uncurable mlady posted:

counting votes: $0

I mean ok but just because they’re loving idiots who can’t be bothered to just count some drat sheets of paper doesn’t mean those other things are bad.

everyone should get free pizza. seize the means of producing free pizza

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Harrow posted:

I'm not too worried about this one. Bernie's margin is big enough in New Hampshire that fuckery would be extremely obvious and a three-week recount would be worth it if that happened.

If I had to guess, the Dems are smart enough that if they're going to manipulate votes and gently caress over Bernie, they're not going to do it in NH. Everyone expects him to win there. He beat Clinton there by a huge margin in 2016. He's consistently polled very well. They can afford to just toss him those delegates and move on because it'll be easy enough to make it not really affect the narrative ("We already knew Bernie would win there, it's practically his back yard," etc.).

Basically a ratfuck in NH would be the most reckless, stupid, and useless thing and oh god drat it that means they're gonna try it

delaying the results from iowa also means that he has to split his election monitoring / anti-ratfuck measures between two states

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kazak posted:

Actually research your state and local candidates

:hai:

When I was in grad school back in Athens, Ohio, there was a super corrupt rear end in a top hat who kept winning the race for Athens County sheriff. He did this because he kept running as a Democrat, and a lot of college students there would just vote straight-ticket Dem. A huge portion of the electorate in the county wasn't paying attention to local politics by and large so he could just kinda skate by on party affiliation.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

uncurable mlady posted:

counting votes: $70000

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Jewel Repetition posted:

Participate in primaries to get more leftists, and don't vote for Dems at the presidential level

Agreed, but if I understand this correctly, the best thing is to actually keep fighting on the state/local level. Most of the fuckery is done there, after all - and a true grassroots force can actually accomplish stuff.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Dante80 posted:

So, vote republican?

The other choice is to go ape poo poo and ruin everything for decades out of spite.

I don't think it's a particularly good option but if the DNC nominates Bloomberg at a contested convention (over Bernie with a plurality) it may actually be the lesser of two evils to do that.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Harrow posted:

:hai:

When I was in grad school back in Athens, Ohio, there was a super corrupt rear end in a top hat who kept winning the race for Athens County sheriff. He did this because he kept running as a Democrat, and a lot of college students there would just vote straight-ticket Dem. A huge portion of the electorate in the county wasn't paying attention to local politics by and large so he could just kinda skate by on party affiliation.

Blue no matter who

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dreylad posted:

To give you an idea of how other countries' party leadership conventions can go sideways: in 2017 the Conservative Party of Canada went about selecting a new leader after Stephen Harper resigned. The Conservatives rented a convention centre in northern Toronto for the event.

It also happened to be on the same weekend that some giant North American anime expo was going on next door. Supporters of the runner up, Maxime Bernier an extremely right-wing rear end in a top hat, complained they couldn't get to the convention to vote in time because the hallways were filled with anime cosplayers.

The winner, Andrew Scheer, preceded to lose the next federal election to noted idiot Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, a guy who had done blackface so often - in the 21st century - that he couldn't remembered the number of times he had applied black makeup.

man those few days of trudeau apologizing again and again were so funny

days gone by....

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Limerick posted:

Bernie will win, but he would not run as a third-party candidate, and a third-party candidate would not win (in 2020).

Well then he will lose.

1. Primary results that favor Bernie will be embargoed just like in Iowa.
2. This allows the media to jump on the idea that other succ dems are "winning"
3. We get to the convention with only 59% of all precincts reporting and no one having a confortable lead.
4. A dweeb like Pete gets superdelegates and wins the nomination.

The Democrats have shown they are willing to forgo the integrity of their own elections to see Bernie lose. Third-party is the only way.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Dog Toothbrush posted:

lmao at still pleading to vote down ballot dems after this, there is no better scenario to them than republican presidents and dems sprinkled in with the dog catcher and elected judges to maintain an air of legitimacy

quick reminder that dems were anti gay up until a court forced them not to be

Is it galaxy-brained of me to believe that the idealogical splits between Democrat and Republican are mostly meant to divide us so that we don't notice that both parties are actively working to reduce us to wage slavery? Sometimes I think I am just paranoid.

I mean, when push comes to shove the Democrats don't really work to advance the progressive causes they espouse, and most of the citizenry is too concerned with who won on The Bachelor to notice.

Everyone likes to compare our society to 1984, but when you really squint, it looks a lot more like Fahrenheit 451.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
man, this is all so hosed